Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared and confused / lapband in Mexico

I am new to this whole thing, I cannot afford to have this procedure in the US and need help because I have been overwhelmed by all the contradicting information I am finding about the lapband, the doctors, the dollars, weightloss and the side effects/problems after.

which dr to choose?

Aceves? Arturo Rodriguez?

Corvala? Jose Rodriguez?

Kelly? Rumbault?

Ortiz? Zapada?

Where in Mexico should I go? I want to be safe and in a hospital.

What should this cost me? What should be included? Who do I see when I get back to the US or how do I find that out? Is it really safe? Please help!!:cursing:

I don't have any answers for you but there are many bandsters here who have gone to Mexico and will surely post for you. There are also some less expensive docs here in the US if you prefer that route. I just wanted to tell you how smart you are to realize you need to line up post op care if you have it done ANYWHERE you aren't...whether it's one state or one country away. Aftercare is vital...otherwise just getting banded but no followup would be like buying a car but never driving it anywhere! :cursing:

Good luck!

I totally understand your fears. I'm having my surgery done with Dr. Arturo Rodriguez after checking his credentials and contacting Inamed and ensuring he'd been certified by them. In case you aren't aware, Inamed is the only band that is approved by the FDA. That's not to say that other bands are inferior, it's just that Inamed has a pretty rigorous training program, from what I understand.

Dr. Rodriguez has performed many surgeries, (1000 surgeries qualify most surgeons as more than experienced.) Dr. R. has also taught many seminars about placing the band, including seminars in the US.

As far as cost, in addition to paying your airfare, you need to consider the price of your fills post surgery. Make sure that there is a physician near you that will give you fills even if they didn't operate on you. Many won't b/c of liability issues. Dr. R has a list of doctors who will perform fills, and there may be others in your area. You'll need to call them ahead of time, unless you're willing to travel for fills. (Inconvenient and costly if you travel for them.) The amount of fills people have can vary, but figure on 6, and you'll be prepared to have that amount of money saved. Fills can cost anywhere from $150 - 350. Stay with the same physician b/c they almost always charge for the first fill.

Dr. R charges $7500, which includes all surgical / hospital costs, 2 nights in the hospital, and transportation to and from the airport. I'm flying in a day prior to surgery to be sure I don't have to worry about flight delays. I have the additional cost of one night in the hotel, $130), but to me, it's worth it. Depending on your tolerance for pain, you may want to stay an additional day. The reason I suggest that is that cuts to your abdomen can be quite uncomfortable, and being on a plane with turbulance, being in a car hitting potholes, wearing a seatbelt...all of these things will cause some pain.

After you've gotten to your goal, you may want additional surgery to remove excess skin that will now be hanging from your body. Most likely a Tummy Tuck. Prices vary widely, so I can't even give a guess. If you have 100 or more pounds to lose, I have no doubt you'll be considering some extra surgery. Depending on your age and elasticity of your skin, you may or may not need surgery.

I am new to this whole thing, I cannot afford to have this procedure in the US and need help because I have been overwhelmed by all the contradicting information I am finding about the lapband, the doctors, the dollars, weightloss and the side effects/problems after.

which dr to choose?

Corvala? Jose Rodriguez?

Kelly? Rumbault?

Ortiz? Zapada?

What should this cost me? What should be included? Who do I see when I get back to the US or how do I find that out? Is it really safe? Please help!!:drool:

I've heard great things about Aceves, Jose Rod., Rumbault. Heard not such great things about Arturo Rod., Check the forums, he has had some problems in the past. Check forums on Ortiz, quite famous. Don't know about Kelly or Zapata. I'm still looking also and have researched alot, but can't quite decide.

I did my surgery with Dr. Rumbaut on 10/23/08 and had an excellent experience with him and his staff. They gave me all the time I wanted to speak with them and ask questions before I made my decision. They are incredibly well organized and I felt very well taken care of. Everything from pick-up at the airport, driving me to my appointments, my pre-op appointments, surgery and recovery went very well.

I posted about this in detail on my blog -- feel free to check it out (link below).

One thing I really appreciated was how nice & new (and immaculately clean) the hospital was. And (shockingly, compared to the U.S.), I had a private room -- with a sofa that they made into a comfortable bed for my mom at night so she could stay with me -- AND, when I pressed the nurse button at night, they answered within seconds and a nurse came into my room in under a minute, every time.

Dr. Rumbaut's office also helped me get in with an excellent group of doctors at NYU for my post-op care, and I've already been to my first appointment there.

Another nice thing is that all of his patients seem to stay at the same hotel, so there were fellow bandsters there for my mom and I to hang out with, which made everything much nicer and feel less scary!

I chose Dr. Rumbaut because I have a friend who did her surgery with him 3 years ago. I hadn't ever considered going to Mexico before then (in fact, I thought she was insane for doing that before I did my research). I am very glad that I went there. Had I stayed in NYC for it, I would have paid $25K more to have my surgery with a doctor who has less experience at a hospital that wasn't as nice.

I hope that helps! Feel free to private message me if you have other questions!

Catherine

Banded: 10/23/08

230/216.4/150 (using my pre-op diet weight now)

Blog: http://chroniclesfrombandland.blogspot.com

Another thing I forgot to mention is that both Dr. Rumbaut and one of his main patient coordinators (Cathy -- I talked with her a lot when making my decision) are banded. I felt that a doctor who had the band himself would have an advantage over doctors who hadn't experienced it for themselves.

Also, because I'm a lower BMI patient and (though no spring chicken) young enough, Dr. R. was able to do my surgery using just two incisions. I do not think that many patients qualify for this, but it really cut down on the amount of pain I had and, of course, the number of scars I will have.

I hope that's helpful!

Catherine

Banded: 10/23/08

230/216.4/150 (using my pre-op diet weight now)

Blog: http://chroniclesfrombandland.blogspot.com

which dr to choose?

Corvala? Jose Rodriguez?

Kelly? Rumbault?

Ortiz? Zapada?

I went with Dr. Aceves. Mostly because others in my family had it done there but also because I couldn't find a bad word about him in all of this website, or any other website for that matter. My experience was the same as those that went before me.....it was great. The whole "Mexico" thing is a little intimidating at first but IMO the proceedure and care is as good as anywhere.

which dr to choose?

Corvala? Jose Rodriguez?

Kelly? Rumbault?

Ortiz? Zapada?

What should this cost me? What should be included? Who do I see when I get back to the US or how do I find that out? Is it really safe? Please help!!:smile2:

I had my surgery done in Mexico on November 4th. I went to Dr. Kuri. It was $7,500 which included ride from airport to and from the hospital, 2 nights stay in hospital and 2 nights stay after in a hotel (if wanted). I figured I was spending the money and I stayed the extra 2 nights in the hotel. Everything went perfect I could not have been happier. The doctor, hospital and hotel were four star quality. You can look him up (google Dr Kuri and the lap band). The Dr and his assistants were great they helped with everything. I have had zero complications and everything is healing well. They give you everything needed (your xray, band info all surgery info) to come back to the states and give to your doctor you choose to see.

If you have any others questions feel free to ask!!!:cool2:

I too went with Dr. Kuri he was great I went by myself from NJ. and everything went great. I had it done on August 19 and I have lost 34 lbs. I feel wonderful and I would do it all over again. :)

Slackmaster,

I was banded November 14th at the OCC in TJ Mexico by Dr. Martinez which is under Dr. Ortiz. I honestly can say that I am glad that my insurance would not pay and I had to choose this Doctor. I started my reseach back in July, booked in August. When I arrived at the airport, Fransico the drive was there waiting on me with a sign with my name on it. He told me which baggage claim my luggage was out and carried my luggage to the van. We arrived at the clinic where I met with Dr. Miranda the nutritionist. SHE IS WODERFUL! The ENITRE staff at the OCC is WONDERFUL. After they took us back to the Hotel which is AWESOME. The next morning we were pick up for surgery. The clinic is for Labband/fill patients so you are not in a hospital where there are all kinds of sick people there with you, not to metion the doctors that work there were chosen by the Doctor and not hospital staff. The facility was SO clean. My sister and brother in law went with me and they had to wear the little blue shoes to even come back and see me. I had a private room and GREAT nurses. I stayed overnight and very glad I did. I got sick from the anthesisa and they took care of me all night. My friend that was banded with me had a hernia that they repaired and was charged NOTHING. That morning they took me and had me do a barium swallow test and x ray to make sure my band was ok due to the fact I had gotten sick. In the states this is an out patient surgery, you get the surgery and you are sent home. I could not imagine being sent home and then that night having problems. I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Ortiz or Dr. Martinez at the OCC. If you choose another doctor in Mexico which there are many, please do your research. My fill doctor was proctored by Dr. Ortiz which has taught many more of our US doctors. Good luck in your decision and if you have any other questions, please let me know.