Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

Mom2two, a friend of mine (also a band patient) told me about a girl she worked with who had gone to Mexico for her surgery. For 6 months she put up with the same things that you have put up with (because with a MX surgeon you can't exactly go back and ask what's wrong). Finally my friend convinced her doctor to take a look at her, and he said that (after a few tests) he could tell that the band had been placed around the bottom of the esophagus. :) He could tell the band hadn't slipped. It just had never even been placed around her stomach in the first place! So all that throwing up for all those months was because she never even had a little pouch. She was devastated, and she'd been through so much that she just asked him (begged him really) to just put her under and take out the band. She decided to get the band taken out and just go with the Bypass.

I hope they can fix your band and put it back in the right place! You deserve success with all that you've been through, and I hope you get it!

Keep us posted, and stay strong!

Thanks for the support. So far I have had band surgery, port replacement, conscious sedation (gastrospcope) and will he doing a barium swallow xray on wed. I have thrown up from day 1 for the past 6 months. I have lost 23 lbs. I have an app with my surgeon May 29. At this point, I want it fixed or removed. I am so tired of throwing up and making excuses for why it is happening. I had this done to advance my health, not ruin it.

Is your doctor doing this all free of charge? I'd hate to have to go through all of this and have to pay.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the support. So far I have had band surgery, port replacement, conscious sedation (gastrospcope) and will he doing a barium swallow xray on wed. I have thrown up from day 1 for the past 6 months. I have lost 23 lbs. I have an app with my surgeon May 29. At this point, I want it fixed or removed. I am so tired of throwing up and making excuses for why it is happening. I had this done to advance my health, not ruin it.

At this point your doctor should be paying you! I'm so sorry you are having all this trouble. I'd be pretty ticked off if I were in your shoes. I hope it all gets resolved soon.

Hi Novembers,

I was wondering how the Memorial Day/June First people were doing with their weight loss. Unfortunately, I am not going to make my goal, but I am only about 5 pounds away and I am happy with that. Good luck to everyone else. Cindy

Hi there. Been inactive here for a long long time, but I was banded on Nov 5, here in Canada.

So far I've lost 75 lbs, BMI 45 -> 35. My weight loss has been pretty quick during the first 3 months. But a lot less quick during the last 3. I think I need to tighten my ring.

I've also relapsed sometimes and eat sweets... something I shouldn't do. I had brownies for dessert today :redface:

Anyway, just reporting that I'm doing fine. Have occasional PB'ing when I eat too fast. Still getting used to it...

Hi Notorious Novembers!

Checking in...doing okay on weight loss. After I hit my sweet spot, I've had good progress. On a continual downward trend with weight, eating pretty well - though much less than I thought I'd be satisfied with - and losing slowly, but steadily.

I hit an occasional plateau, but it usually doesn't last long - a week or less. I'm on track to be at 220 by the end of the month, which makes me very, very happy! :crying:

Next goal is to be at 200 before my family's vacation / reunion during July 4th week. We'll be in Florida and I don't want to spend it all covered up like I would have before getting my band! I've even bought a new swimsuit in honor of the trip, and I'm really excited about summer coming for the first time in a very long time. :redface:

Still exercising 5 days per week - mostly walking, with occasional weight workouts thrown in there. The walking includes hills and such, so I think I'm doing myself a lot of good. I haven't had an irregular heartbeat episode since I was banded, and I'm slowly reducing my diabetes meds with guidance from my doctor. I'm hoping to get off the insulin by the end of the summer. Just reducing the amount helped immensely with my hunger!:smile2:

Nice to see so many Notorious Novembers doing so well - everybody keep up the good work!

Mom2Two - you are in my prayers! I hope your situation is resolved with a minimum of pain, expense and bother very soon. I pray the solution is close for you - hang in there! :blush:

Hi Novembers,

I was wondering how the Memorial Day/June First people were doing with their weight loss. Unfortunately, I am not going to make my goal, but I am only about 5 pounds away and I am happy with that. Good luck to everyone else. Cindy

Memorial Day June 1st report....My goal was to be 200 by June first and then I changed it, to be under 200 (199) by June 1st. I am 6lbs away from goal and even though the deadline for me to get there is a mear 12 days away and I probably wont hit 199 within the next 12 days I am still hoping to be pretty dam close and I am really happy with my progress so far. I'm going to Vegas in about 3 weeks and I am pleased to say that for the first time I truthfully dont have a thing to wear (that fits).

It's official, my band slipped which I knew last week. I had a fluoro xray today and it was confirmed. I see my surgeon next friday and then need to discuss options. The throwing up is daily. If I eat food, I PB. This has been a frustrating journey I must say but I dont regret it. I like the weight loss, I regret that the band is not working the way it should. I want to get 'normal' again, whatever that means since I have had problems from day 1. So here's hoping he can fix it.

Mom2two,

I'm having the same issue I believe, don't know for sure still need testing but Dr. thinks there may be an issue. I'm not throwing up luckily but I never feel restriction & I got banded feb 13th. I have 8cc in my band & no feeling of anything so far. I was drinking diet cokes because my first doctor said it was fine & now I have a new dr he said, no carbonated drinks ever. He thinks I may have streched pouch or cause slippage. I'm wondering will I have to pay to fix it? Do you have to pay? I already paid $16,000 for surgery I can't afford to pay anything else. Thanks Kim Q

I dont know if he can fix it or will remove it. I see him next friday. I just want it dealt with. I am self pay-14 000 and will not be paying any more regardless.

Can I ask, mom2two: Did you get banded to lose 48 pounds? I'm more curious than anything, promise.

I hope they figure something out. I've never been sure who pays if there is an issue with the band. Here's hoping it won't be you.

No I changed my goal to be more realistic. Ultimate goal is 70 lbs. I am 5'1 and was 198, have PCOS, pre-diabetes and high blood pressure. I wanted to prevent future health problems, specifically diabetes since it is on both sides of my family