Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should prostitution be legal?

Should prostitution be legal?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should prostitution be legal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

off religion and back to prostitution. i see nothing wrong with legalized prostitution. isnt it referred to as the worlds oldest profession? the bottom line is people use sex to get what they want and are gonna cont to. whether its trading sex for money to pay the rent or having sex with your husband cuz you're trying to get him to take you on vacation. its still trading sex for something you want or need. anyone who says they've never had sex with an ulterior motive involved is either lieing or has no sex life. besides why should prostitution be th only "profession" not paying taxes

patty: "What I said was that it's too bad you don't allow Him to talk back to you. For the only way to hear from God is through his words in the bible."

Uh wait a minute... you said that you know that the Bible is God's word. He spoke to the authors of the books in the Bible and told them what to write. But wait a minute, if the only way he can hear from him is through the Bible, explain how that works, um kay? Ever heard of the term "catch-22"?

patty: "All it takes is a recognition of sin in your life and an understanding that a day can't go by without you disobeying God in some way. This will lead people to ask Him for forgiveness and eternal life. "

Sounds like the way you've interpreted the whole thing is like God went about setting us up. He wants us to sin, expects it every day in fact, and he tells us that we must ask for forgiveness and he demands our obedience or he condemns us to an eternal, raging, burning hell.

Sounds like fear mongering to me. And you're saying that was what Jesus was all about? He spoke of hell more than anything else? Guess that's where the preachers get the idea to do that, eh?

An aggrandizing tactic to be sure.

Sorry kat. I promise that this is my last post on that subject. It has gone on ad nauseum.

Edited by BJean

Like I've said many times before: prostitution is not the same thing as women having sex with their spouse, a secretary having sex with her boss or sex within any other interpersonal relationship.

Prostitution is not based on the dynamics or politics between two people sharing an interpersonal relationship of any kind. It is a profession in and of itself. It is a person with a certain skill set who is providing sexual acts for another person purely for profit with no personal strings attached. It makes sense for the government to be involved in that business the same as it is in every other business. And by so doing, the government wouldn't be endorsing the prostitution business any more than it endorses the ice cream business.

It is important to understand that sex between two people who have common interests beyond the sexual activity itself, is something quite different. Although there is no doubt that some women and men do use sex to barter for something they want from someone they know, it doesn't make them prostitutes. It could make them sneaky and unattractive, or it could make them quite attractive to their partner because, let's face it, some relationships thrive on that kind of barter system.

However, the government really can't control sex between people who share a personal relationship. The government could not and should not enforce legal requirements to guarantee either party's safety, and the government certainly shouldn't try to tax sexual activities between two people who have an interpersonal relationship.

But the government can do those things with the business of prostitution. And it should.

Edited by BJean

BJean,

I agree completely.

We have touched a lot on the tax benefit to legalizing prostitution. While I think there is a huge benefit to taxing it, I think we should also address the public health issues. If prostitution were legal, the prostitutes could be licensed and be forced to get checked regularly. There could also be rules about condom use with strict penalties for violating the rules (not sure how to enforce this though). Pimps would be taken out of the mix, which in and of itself should make the act safer for all involved.

The bottom line for me is that the only real argument against prostitution is based on the moral perspective of the group that wants to keep it illegal. I guess you could make the point that there is also the fact that the act is in many ways derogatory to women, while I recognize this – I think legalizing it would empower them more than they are today. When you take out the seediness of the pimps and drugs, it is just another business transaction. If you don’t believe in the religious hype and just for a second realize that sex is nothing more than a bodily function like farting and going to the bathroom, you realize the silliness of trying to condemn it. Both of those functions are things we don’t usually talk openly about, but they are nonetheless “normal” everyday bodily functions.

kartman as usual, you've made some extremely relevant points. To tell you the truth, the public health issues are far more important to me than the potential for tax revenue when we discuss government controls over prostitution.

The health department governs the way we are allowed to run restaurants because they can be a health hazzard. Why do we stick our heads in the sand about the health issues prostitution causes in our society?

The religious aspect is daunting. It reminds me in a way of the religious right's total aversion to quality, all-encompassing sex education. They believe in abstinence only as a means of birth control and of dealing with teen sex and pregnancy. It does not work and yet they cling to that idea. Their own children pay the price and their aversion to allowing their children to be exposed to sex ed and the distribution of condoms in schools honestly boggles the mind.

patty: "What I said was that it's too bad you don't allow Him to talk back to you. For the only way to hear from God is through his words in the bible."

Uh wait a minute... you said that you know that the Bible is God's word. He spoke to the authors of the books in the Bible and told them what to write. But wait a minute, if the only way he can hear from him is through the Bible, explain how that works, um kay? Ever heard of the term "catch-22"?

God used different ways to speak to people in different periods of time. In the Old Testament, he used prophets. When He wrote the bible out for mankind, he used his Holy Spirit to lead men in what to write. The New Testament church gets the written word.

patty: "All it takes is a recognition of sin in your life and an understanding that a day can't go by without you disobeying God in some way. This will lead people to ask Him for forgiveness and eternal life. "

Sounds like the way you've interpreted the whole thing is like God went about setting us up. He wants us to sin, expects it every day in fact, and he tells us that we must ask for forgiveness and he demands our obedience or he condemns us to an eternal, raging, burning hell.

He doesn't want us to sin, but he knows we will.

Sounds like fear mongering to me. And you're saying that was what Jesus was all about?

Did I say that Jesus was all about bringing fear? Funny, I don't remember saying that.

He spoke of hell more than anything else?

No, not more than anything else; more than Heaven.

Guess that's where the preachers get the idea to do that, eh?

If the prechers that you listen to ONLY speak about Hell and not much of anything else, then you are sitting under the wrong teacher. Most preachers speak a diversified sermon. They try to teach all of what God has to say, not just about Hell.

An aggrandizing tactic to be sure.

Wow, big word! Had to look it up. Don't understand how it fits here though.

Sorry kat. I promise that this is my last post on that subject. It has gone on ad nauseum.

God used different ways to speak to people in different periods of time. In the Old Testament, he used prophets. When He wrote the bible out for mankind, he used his Holy Spirit to lead men in what to write. The New Testament church gets the written word.

You would think by now he would at least have a MySpace page:confused:

Sorry, just trying to inject a little humor. If I believed in a God, I would pick one that has a sense of humor, just so that he wouldn’t smite me for a comment like that:tt2:

You would think by now he would at least have a MySpace page:confused:

Sorry, just trying to inject a little humor. If I believed in a God, I would pick one that has a sense of humor, just so that he wouldn’t smite me for a comment like that:tt2:

Naw, MySpace is too low-Rent for God.

Facebook. Now THAT'S where you'll find the creator.

I understand that He also maintains accounts at Classmates.com and Plaxo. And, he's got 14 Hotmail accounts as well.

God gets around. :juggle:

HH

Ooooh good. I am not the last one who posted about religion on the prostitution thread. :)

Do I hear crickets? The old LB group used to talk about cheese when they decided a topic was beaten to death.

LOL, I remember that BJ!!

I actually have no issue with everyone else discussing religion, I have made my beliefs known, it has been proven that no matter what words I use, someone will take it upon themselves to straighten my path to righteousness--and I was just sick & tired of it. It is like dealing with a misbehaving child, sometimes the best way is to ignore them. Short of beating them, which we know I support as well.....LOL

Amen, kat!!

Except this feels more like the kid beating the parents over the head trying to correct them. :laugh:

I can give it away for free or be jailed for charging a fee, why is this illegal again?

What about selling condoms with a free Pus*y sample, does that count?

Does it really matter how we label it. Either way people have justified the implications of prostitution far long then I can imagine. Legalizing it would just put the "pimp" title in big brothers pocket. I'm far more interested in the effects of those who are forced into said trade. Of course the factors are numerous. Just read that men traveling abroad to peddle in the underage sex trade is on the rise. That or they are getting caught much more frequently. It is, after all the 21st century.

For 200 roses, you can private message me. Or look up my craigslist ad. I'm located in the phoenix metropolitan area.