Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 10/21 and have ???

Hi -

I met Dr. Horgan once prior to surgery for a quick visit. My BMI is low 32 and he wanted to make sure I was really wanting this. He also came by the morning of the surgery for about 5 minutes. I did a lot of research on him so know he is good but do agree that it might have been nice if we would have come by post surgery in the recovery room. I was very surprised that he didn't...if I hadn't been in pain, I probably would have been seriously annoyed! What time was your scheduled surgery? Mine was at 10 am but didn't go in till 11:30ish and was out 20 minutes later. Talk to you soon!

I should try the warm liquids, like maybe cocoa? I too am a little scared, not knowing what "full" feels like, I think I'm still a little too sore to know

20 days post op here and still don't know when I'm hungry... and since I can't tell I have started measuring/weighting food... i can drink about 5 oz of Protein Shake for Breakfast but since i don't like milk so much i'm not sure that i'm full or just disgusted with the milk so i stop... taking extra care w/ the foods that i'm choosing also... if it doesn't fit in to a 1/2 cup, i don't eat it... i hope this gets easier soon... also not exactly sure when i'm full so when i finish with 1/2 cup i'm done... don't want to get sick! anyone know if you ever are 100% sure about these things?????

the first week post op, warm liquids were way easier and made me feel better... i got Lipton Cup of Soup in Cream of chicken and it was just enough to make me feel better...

also if you are still having gas pains or the air bubble feeling in your chest ask yourself when your last BM (bowel movement) was? if its been more than 2 days, ask your doc what laxatives he is okay w/ you using... it might seem odd now but trust me, if that is the problem, you will want to get that taken care of quickly.

best of luck!

SD Mom, mine was at 8:30, went in about 9:15. I researched him a lot too, so I knew I was in good skilled hands. Ultimately, I'd prefer that over a friend! LOL.

Hello All.

OK her's the deal I was banded on 10/17 went to the Dr. on on 10/23 told him I"M HUNGRY he said EAT!!!! when the band first goes in they do NOT tighten it. You can still eat eat whatever you want BUT chew it like baby food consistancy and small bites might as well get used to eating that way. You will heal faster and better with food. If you feel sick stop go back to Clear Liquids for awhile. Ans most important stop when satisfied don;t over do it. The band is just resting on your stomach right now and your trying to adjust to it as well. Cottage chees and canned fruit works well for inbetween Snacks. Eat often and small so you don't have the growling. He said this is supposed to a new and happy experience for us not to be miserable or it will never work for us. I want to be successful I go back to work tomorow and I'm not 100% but have a better attiude. My first fill is 11/5 good luck to you all.And no questions are stupid !!

SoCalFosh:

LOL!!! I was originally scheduled for the 8:30 slot but they called me the day before and said they had to add someone and I would be at 10! I agree w/the friend thing...as long as Dr.'s are competent I don't care if they want to be chatty with me! How are you feeling? I am feeling tons better today - have been able to drink more.

Do you have a follow up with them tomorrow (10/27)? I do at 1:45...I hope I don't have to wait very long. What part of SD do you live in?

Edited by San Diego Mom

I have a question for everyone who went to dr. horgan at UCSD. How much did you lose on the liquid diet? I have lost about 6 lbs so far, but i am so worried that I am going to be in surgery and find out my liver is too big.

Hi -

I was banded on 10/21 by Dr. Horgan. I had a 32 BMI and lost 10 lbs prior to surgery. The day of the surgery, they will weigh you with their portable scale. I asked if they actually will cancel surgery if a patient doesn't lose enough weight prior and they do!! I think if you follow the fast your liver will shrink enough to perform the surgery safely.

GOOD LUCK! CONGRATS!!!

Trust me you will know when you have had enough food. If you have too much you will get pain in the chest and throat area, putting your arms above your head or bending with hands on the arm of the sofa will help to relieve it. If you sort of hiccup/burp it is a sign to STOP eating or you will get the uncomfortable feeling I mentioned above. I sat down to dinner on Saturday and had about 3 bites and started to feel the over full feeling so I stopped. Sometimes I can eat more and others not much at all. I haven't had my first fill yet, but can hardly wait!

I have been reading all your blogs and i am wondering. I am 3 weeks out for my first initial appointment. what are you talking about when you say you wonder if you have lost enought weight for the surgery, what is this about?

thanks for your info

Some dr.'s require that you lose weight prior to the surgery. Dr. Horgan from UCSD will put you on a pre-op fast for a few reasons: 1) it will shrink your liver 2) you become aware of what the diet will be like post op and 3) to see if you can commit to the program.

HTH!

I hated the lump in my throat...it lasted for about a week and went away. My dr told me it was the soreness from the tube during surgery and the overflow from the liquid...imagine that! I was sipping on liquid throughout the day to make sure I was hydrated, but I guess it was too much liquid...so, in my dr's terms....the gates were overflowing. I have reduced the amount of liquid I am drinking, and I am doing much better.