Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Watchers

I'm still at my plateau since May, have not lost or gained but remained about the same weight. Actually I think I'm down 2 pounds in 5 months. woo woo :) (no sarcasm there) I've worked out until the 'jiggle' in my arms is gone.:mellow: ... but the weight just hangs on me. I've seen the inches go down, but the weight is haunting me. I even bought a new scale thinking this one was broken. :thumbup:

I enjoy working out and never miss unless I'm sick ... like right now. I notice that my appetite goes down when I'm not exercising, so again I am at that plateau. If I could do the rigorous workout and eat like I do when I'm not working out I'd be losing I'm sure of that. But I get so incredibly hungry.

Anywho, I'm making a short story long... I'm thinking about joining weight watchers to make myself accountable. I thought I could adapt it to my high Protein low carb lapband diet but make myself accountable with someone else weighing... maybe just through the holidays...

Any thoughts on this?

I think if you are seeing success in loss of inches and less jiggle you need to pitch the scale for at least three months. It sounds like you are already doing well, just obsessed with something that in the long run should not matter. I always said if I could be a 200 lb size 8 that would be okay with me!

Seriously. Stop weighing.

I joined weight watchers last year and in that particular group, they were dead set against WLS. I don't know if that's the case with every group but I would not want to join a group that might hold the WLS against me.

I have done without the scale and I tend to gain ... not sure why, but oddly enough I'm able to bring the weight right back to where I am today. Then it stays there.

And with regard to the WW not liking WLS, I'm not going to go in there and tell them...

I'm going to toy this around in my head for a bit... but 5 months is a LONG time on a plateau. It is scary to me and sometimes makes me regret the LB, but I know that I am healthier since having it.

Just v. frustrated. :)

For Weight Watchers you are just the number on the scale. They don't emphasize exercise. You may have developed more muscles (especially if your arm jiggle is gone) which weigh more than fat. So the scale doesn't always tell the whole story. If you are seeing inches gone then you are doing well. I am 57 and joined WW for the first time when I was 28 and weighed 137 (I'm 5'5"). I went off and on for years until I became a lifetime member. But in the end, if I was able to eat like that - then I wouldn't have a weight problem. But I couldn't - and most obese people can't - which is why so many join, quit and re-join over and over again. I wouldn't do the WW thing - but you have to decide for yourself. I think you're doing well - and never reduce yourself to a number on the scale.

WW does not focus on low carb.

They have their points plan, which will likely give you too much food if you follow it, since with LB you are supposed to eat only three meals a day, 1 to 1 1/2 cups of food total per meal, no Snacks.

They have their core plan, which is like South Beach and somewhat low carb. You could potentially make that work but will need to watch portions.

I personally would worry about you getting confused between the way your doctor tells you to each with your band and the way that WW tells you to eat.

Just something to think about.

I am also thinking of joining. I have been the same weight, size since May. I have adjusted my fills and still no loss. I am only 17 pounds from goal, so I am seriously frustrated. I also would not go into it saying that I had the band placed. I just don't know what else to try.

WW does not focus on low carb.

They have their points plan, which will likely give you too much food if you follow it, since with LB you are supposed to eat only three meals a day, 1 to 1 1/2 cups of food total per meal, no Snacks.

They have their core plan, which is like South Beach and somewhat low carb. You could potentially make that work but will need to watch portions.

I personally would worry about you getting confused between the way your doctor tells you to each with your band and the way that WW tells you to eat.

Just something to think about.

I was wondering how WW could work with the band since as this reply said, you are on a point system. I was on WW for almost 2 years and I have not been banded yet but I don't think you can eat that much food with the band can you? They really stress that to lose your weight you have to eat ALL your points.

WW is great way to lose weight by following them life but not being banded yet, I just don't see how they can work together and of course do not tell them you had WLS since you are free once you reach your goal and they would look at that too.

The WW program called Core IS focused on lower carb, higher Fiber foods. You are very limited in the amount of bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes and so forth in a day. I had success with that program- for a month!

I have been tempted to join just to show them that I can lose weight! I have gone and quit so many times I feel like I want to make lifetime because now with this TOOL I actually CAN!

I say, if you want to join, join! If it will keep you accountable, then do it. I think you are doing great on your own!

Do you need a fill? What does your doctor say about the weight loss so far?

The WW program called Core IS focused on lower carb, higher Fiber foods. You are very limited in the amount of bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes and so forth in a day. I had success with that program- for a month!

I have been tempted to join just to show them that I can lose weight! I have gone and quit so many times I feel like I want to make lifetime because now with this TOOL I actually CAN!

I say, if you want to join, join! If it will keep you accountable, then do it. I think you are doing great on your own!

Do you need a fill? What does your doctor say about the weight loss so far?

I don't need a fill. I can't eat solids in the a.m. When I do eat I can only eat a small amount at one sitting, very slowly. I am at the 'sweet spot.' But I am not losing. I overeat in the evenings now because I seem to be very hungry then. I say overeat... but still it is restricted thanks to my band. I'm certain that w/o this band I would have gained some during these past 5 months.

I'm hoping with some accountability I'll do better, but we'll see.

Now as to regard to my doctor. well well well... He is never happy it seems. That has been a huge drag for me. He is nice but is critcle at the same time. When I was on target (his target mind you) he had doubts I'd be able to maintain it. I was losing 'slow' and he was not happy. He would scrutinize my diet and never finding anything wrong would not believe me.

For example, I was too tight after one of my fills but went 5 days hoping things would settle. I was freaking losing my mind though. Unable to eat ANYTHING. And taking an hour to get 6 ounces of Water down. I finally went back in. He said, "lost only 3 pounds?" ... "Most of my patients lose a lot more if they are really this tight." :smile: I felt so alone. Here was my support treating me like that. I could not believe it. I of course had to drink in front of him so he could see the restriction and could see that the liquid was sitting in my pouch and not moving, but still he doubted what I ate. I never went over 500 calories a day all week.

OK coffee working overtime here...

Sorry but I have to see him next week for a one year check up and I'm freaking out. Mainly because I'm the same weight, but also because I'm going to get a lecture, when HE should be getting one for not helping me lose.

sigh.

I_Said_NO, it's IMPERATIVE that you not guage your success by the scale alone. The fact that you say you are losing inches means you ARE losing. However, you are likely gaining muscle (a VERY good thing), which makes the scale not budge.

When i used to diet in the past, I would keep a weight loss journal, but more importantly, I would keep a journal with inches lost. When I would have what I thought were plateaus where I lost no weight, I almost ALWAYS had lost inches. So in reality, it is NOT a plateau. You are simply increasing muscle which in the long run burns more fat. That's why guys lose so much quicker than us -- their muscle mass.

Watching the scale may make you worry, freak, or slip. I too say to ditch it. Even WW doesn't require you to weigh in each week.

I have been with Weight Watchers since before my surgery. Due to what everyone is saying, they do offer the Core Program which fits in perfectly with your band. Also, they do emphasize exercise. I felt comfortable enough with my leader to let him know what was going on and he was fine with it. I had gone to him before and I go to an At Work Program where we are a little closer group. He has been very supportive through the entire process and he keeps me going. I believe that going to the doctor every 6 weeks is just not enough for me.

Also, he did mention that they are changing the program a bit for the upcoming year. They will be focusing more on the Core Program becuase they have come to realize that low carb is the way to go.

Good luck with whatever you decide but research it before you decide to do it or not.

This was a perfect thread for me to read today. I was just thinking yesterday that maybe I would give the WW program a go AGAIN. I've never tried the Core Plan, but after reading everyone's responses on here, I think I will. I'm not actually going to join - just use my materials from the last 100 times I've gone! I always wished that a "Lifetime Member" was a person that had joined so many times , not that you stayed at goal for a certain period of time. <lol> I think I will try the Core Plan, starting today. Thanks for the ideas and advice.

I too have been stuck and was on 195 for ALL of the summer. I was mad at myself but did not know what I was doing wrong. One day I opened my pantry and saw all of my Protein Drinks in there, I had stopped drinking them because I wanted to eat Protein not drink it. Anyway, I thought I might as well use what I have up, since I paid a lot for them. In the two weeks I have been drinking one Protein Drink a day I have gone from the 195 that I thought my ass was stuck to, to 189!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy. That is the ONLY change I have made in my eating. Now I don't miss a day and only wish I would have been drinking them all summer. Are you still having your protein drinks? ?

Nice to know there are some of you that are precisely where I am...

I actually joined WW for the thousandth time (at least it seems like that!) just this past week. I was very candid with the leader during the newcomer portion after the meeting (fortunately I was the only newbie that night) and she was so supportive. I have never done the core plan in the past, just points, and I would use those points for foods that were not necessarily the best choices. Core focuses on Protein, low carb...exactly what the nutritionist ordered! I am hopeful that this regular weekly accountability will be just what I need. I have come to realize that I need to use the band for the tool that it is....not just have it pumped tighter and tighter with a fill while I am still at a high weight. I'm hopeful that I can wait to fill it tighter when my weight is down so that it will be the lifetime maintenance tool that I've always needed when I had lost weight in the past.:)