Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill too tight

Last thursday I went for my 3rd fill. I was at 5cc's and my dr. put me up to 6.5. I couldn't drink my Water at his office so he immediately took out 1 cc and left me with the additional .5 cc. I still had problems drinking my water but was told that I might have swollen a little so off I went thinking I was going to be fine. We'll during the course of the evening every single ounch of water I tried to drink came back up. NOTHING would go down. So I called my dr. on Friday morning to state my problem and was told that my stomach did in fact swell and to wait a couple of days and it would be better. It did NOT get better it got worse. It seemed my body was trying to throw up even my own saliva. So Sunday a.m. I called my dr with an emergency call and he said to immediately go to the hospital to get totally unfilled so I could heal. What a horrible experience that was as I thought the doctor there was going to rip my insides out before he could find the port. I have to wait 1-2 weeks now before I can start the whole ordeal all over again in getting filled. I'm just wondering has this horrible experience happened to anyone else and is there a reason for all the swelling???? I'm scared to death to get filled again.:biggrin:

I am so sorry you had to experience this. That doctor should have gotten you back to his office the following day once you called his office. There are times a couple of days ease things but they are days it does not. My doctor only does fills on Monday and Wednesday so if they are any issues you can come back prior to weekend. Hopefully your doctor will do the same to avoid the ER. I know you are terrified but hopefully this does not happen again. He needs to give you a less aggressive fill. I pray that you never have to go through this again. I wish you the best.

I had the same thing.

I went Tuesday morning for my 3rd fill. My dr. put me at 5cc’s. I drank my Water fine. Left the dr. office and was driving home when I felt like I had to burp. I threw up, not only once but 4 times on my way home. Nothing went down not even my own saliva. I called my husband to come home and take me back to the dr.

Dr. took out .5cc. I drank my water fine at the dr. but when I got home at evening I had some slim fast, it came right up. by this time the dr. office was closed and I didn’t think if I went to the emergency room no one there would know what to do. So I just suffered throwing up every 30 mins.all night long until the next morning, I called the dr.office and told them I was on my way back again. The dr. unfilled me, I have to wait until Nov 18th to get filled again.

I forgot to add,

During this ordeal, I did lose 5 lbs, not a pleasant way to lose though.

I told my husband I lost 5 lbs of spit. LOL

Hello, i had the same thing happen to me about two weeks ago. I thought that i was the only one this happend to. I got a fill on Oct 1st on Wedsday. and by that night i was is soooo much pain . i had heartburn out of this world. It hurt so bad my muscles in my back were hurting from me being so tense. I live in NM and have to fly to PHX for my fills. i lasted two days like this and had to fly back on the 3ed. My band was at 4.2cc and they filled it to 7.0cc. I too would throw up my own spit. I thought i was going to die from the pain. I lost 12 lbs in the two days from no Water or food. Girl....that hurt soooo bad. Now they want me to stay over night everytime i get a fill just in case. I think the fill was way to much. adding 3.2cc at one time is alot. my band only holds 10cc. Now is still have a hard time eatting now. i cant eat anything with spice in it. I still have to eat soft foods. That last fill messed my stomach up very bad. let me know how you feel now. can you eat the same or is it still hard.

As with many of you I too had a very similar experience. On my 4th fill the doctor realized that I didn't have hardly any fill and I think he felt responsible that I had only lost 1 lb. He put in too much and I threw up spit all night long. The next day I had some taken out. That was 2 weeks ago and I still have been unable to eat solid foods. I think I have lost about 10 lbs. I slime constantly and still throw up sometimes. I am going in for another slight unfill today. I think it is critical for all of us to be at the correct fill for our bodies. I know some people like to be tighter than others so their weight loss is really good and consistent. Other people on this site aren't in a huge hurry to lose a lot of weight really fast and they like to be more comfortable. It might also be a matter of will power. If you have a ton of will power you can have great success with a little looser band. It really is a learning lesson. Hang in there Sassygirl you will get through and hopefully it will just be a blip on your screen in another few months.

Just got my 3rd fill on Wed. He put in 1.5 to be "aggressive". I drank a Water in the office fine and then Soup for lunch (2oz) but I liked the restriction. I finally felt the band! Well by bed time I couldn't get down water and threw up slime/spit several times during the night. Luckily I was off the next morning for a dentist and afterward went right back to the office and got a slight unfill (.5). I'm tried pudding today and it went down ok -but I'm sticking to liquids and purees to give my stomach a chance to heal. I agree. The DR should have seen you right away. I lost 3.5 lbs that night though!

I'm in the same boat as all of you. I'm very sensative to fills. I swell up. I have a 14cc band, my first fill was 6cc and it felt great, no pain and I felt restriction (for 2wks anyway). My 2nd fill, dr put in 1.5cc and I thought I was going to die! I swell up so bad that I threw up, felt dizzy, nauseous, etc...dr then took out all but 4cc. I went in w/ 6cc and left w/ 4cc. I was so mad at myself but felt so much better. My 3rd fill he put in 2.5cc. I felt fine the office but as I got closer to home I started to slime. I thought I could tough it out, plus, I did not want to go back to 4cc. Well, all night I slimed and PB'd and started to cough up foam! Had 2 hrs of sleep and felt horrible. Swore never to do it to myself again. I'm currently at 7cc and I think I've reached my sweet spot, although I still get stuck on a lot of food. I have to be really careful at what I eat but the portion is small and I'm starting to loose some weight.

Thanks for letting me share. My word of wisdom would be...take it slow.

I absolutely don't want this to happen again. It's horrible and it's no way to live. I go this thursday to start the fill process all over again. I'm really gun-shy about this. It's almost like it's a pain management deal. I had no clue it would be like this, BUT...I'm going to keep trying. I've gone thru an aweful lot to be where I started. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

I am having the same problem now. I went for my 2nd fill today. I went from 6 cc to 7.6 cc. I didnt drink Water in the office. But at home I cant drink. Everything comes back up. I will go back tomorrow if it isnt better. But I really wanna be tight and loose weight.

I am so sorry you had to go through that!!

Fill level, and finding the 'right' tightness is an individual decision. I don't think anyone should rush into getting filled too fast, since the result can be being overfilled, possibly causing damage, but at the very least, causing pain and needing a defill. My advice is to stick up for yourself.. if it sounds like the doctor wants to be too aggressive, and put in too much all at once, communicate with them and say that you want to take it slower. I am sure they would respect your decision. Higher fill level does not necesarily equal faster weight loss.

I really don't understand wanting to be super tight though. I have perfect restriction, I can eat pretty much anything, but in smaller portions. I lose about 3 pounds a week, am never really hungry and don't feel at all deprived. I can eat any solid Protein, as long as I chew chew chew and take small bites. No-one should be too tight that they can't get in solid Protein. It leads to eating unhealthy, and eating soft and liquid meals, which often have more calories, without satisfying hunger.

If your doctor pushes you to fill too fast, or doesn't listen to you, find a fill centre or another doctor that can do your fills and listen to you. For those of you that are overfilled, take care, demand a defill if you feel you need it.

I'd like to see some of the fill doctors feel what it is like to spend the whole day not able to swallow your own saliva. Lol it would be nice if all of our doctors/fill care providers had been banded so they knew what it really felt like.

Edited by Shrinkin

Thanx for the reply shrinkin. I was the one aggressive and told the dr I want a good fill. I didnt tell her that I had some restriction before but not too much. So probably this fill is way to much than I can handle. I hope it didnt slip. Im going to the dr soon. Will see what they say. Meanwhile the pain went away but if I take a sip it comes back up...