Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vancouver Area Bandsters

Hi Becks :ohmy: Welcome to the forum...

If by 'Northwst' you are refering to NWWLS based out of Everett, WA then I know of them. I had my surgery with them in 2006 and absolutely love them. Great facility, awesome staff, excellent follow-up care...you won't be disappointed if you decide to go with them.

As for insurance etc... I do know that you can keep all reciepts (travel, gas, hotels as well as the actual surgery and meds) and claim it as medical expences on your income tax. You won't get a bunch back but I think I got about $2500 back....not a ton, but some is better than none.

That said, I do not know of anyone personally who has ever had any kind of medical insurance cover their surgery. If I had insurance at the time of my surgery I would certainly have made some calls and tried to get it at least partly covered, the worst they can do is deny it. So I would definitely contact Manulife and ask the questions, but I wouldn't pin my hopes to terribly high that they will help.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Patricia

I have attended a few meetings and have not attended lately. The reason for it is that some people do talk more and I did feel excluded. I live in Coquitlam but the drive did not bother me. My surgery was November 07 and I have only lost 50 pounds and I might be embarrassed too as I need to lose another 50 which is just not happening at all and I don't know why. I am very stuck and sometimes wished I would have gone for the gastric bypass as the results are faster and better. But having spent $12,000 for this is unbelievable and I am quite disappointed with my personal outcome. I am just very frustrated.

Cheers,

Gerdi

Uli: Please come to the meetings. Now is the time to come. We are all struggling in one way or another. 50 lbs is a lot less than you were before and if you look forward you will see that the band helps keep you from increasing as rapidly as without it. Is there anything I can do to encourage you. I consider myself a very slow looser and have periods where no matter what I did, I still stayed the same. But the bottom line was the band held me until I could get my head around.

Are you tracking? Exercise helps the heart and makes you feel great and will burn calories but you don't have to do strenuous exercise. Start with something simple that you like. Please feel free to e mail me if you think I can be of help

Hi Doddie,

Yes, I am exercising every day in the gym, I can't do too strenuous work though as I am dealing with osteoarthritis of the knee, so I am usually doing stationary bike and weights and I do this 5 times a week. I am quite active so that is not the reason for not losing weight. I am just very frustrated as I would have liked to be at goal but it's just not happening and a lot harder then I thought. Especially thinking that I paid almost $13,000 for something and I still have to watch the same way as before the lap band surgery. Anyhow, thanks for the support, and I might come by in September again as now we are going on vacation, etc.

Thanks,

Gerdi

Yes, the literature on the band promises the "sky" but unfortunately, whether it be gastric bypass or gastric band, the bottom line is we have to use more calories than what we take in. You may be taking in what I call "ghost" calories. For instance, when I am cooking I always taste - those are calories not counted. I suggest you track everything you eat for at least a month and be rigid about it. You will then find out where the calories are coming from. Even with a low metabolism you can still loose weight but the amounts of are less. I have been tracking for 3 1/2 years and when I am not losing, the record charts always show me in the 1600 to 1800 calories a day.It is amazing how our minds play tricks on us by coveniently forgetting that "taste" we had. Enjoy your summer and hope to see in you September.

Hey everyone, I'm so pleased to find a canadian chat, and vancouver chat on here! I'm just starting to look into surgery as I desperatly need more help with my weight situation.. I've noticed many people here are only talking about the 2 drs, dr woodhead and dr leung. But my family dr has me waiting to talk with Dr. K. Tsu at the False Creek surgical centre. Has anyone ever had her, or know about her? Besides not hearing much about this dr I have to wait 3 months to even have a consultation. Any advice?

Hey everyone, I'm so pleased to find a canadian chat, and vancouver chat on here! I'm just starting to look into surgery as I desperatly need more help with my weight situation.. I've noticed many people here are only talking about the 2 drs, dr woodhead and dr leung. But my family dr has me waiting to talk with Dr. K. Tsu at the False Creek surgical centre. Has anyone ever had her, or know about her? Besides not hearing much about this dr I have to wait 3 months to even have a consultation. Any advice?

Hi: The False Creek clinic offer very good aftercare. Worth checking them out. Their staff attend our montly get togethers at the Lions Gate Hospital. You are welcome to come and talk to bandsters if you like.

The band is what you make of it. It is a tool not a magic wand and if I have one bit of advice to you is to check out the aftercare. Dr. Leung I am told is an excellent surgeon but lacks a bedside manner. Dr. Woodhead is the doctor I go to for fills and is very pleasant to deal with.

We meet every 3rd Wednesday.

Feel free to e mail me if you want any more detailed information.

:):thumbup::smile:

Edited by Doddie63
add on

Hello all,

Time to introduce myself. I've been thinking about surgery for a few years, and I'm ready to do it now. My husband and I have been doing a lot of research over the past weeks, and we found this great website - as well as this local Vancouver group. What a great discovery that was!

So. I'm ready to do it, now I just need to choose where. Probably Mexico. I have my GP's blessing, and he has offered to help me decide where to go. If all goes according to plan, I'd like to go in early December. That would fit best with my work, and would give me a nice long recuperation period before I have to go back to my full work schedule.

I love the idea of the monthly meetings, and I'm excited to attend. But I won't be able to in July, because I travel a lot for work. But in the future I'll try to set up my schedule to keep the 3rd Wednesday of the month freed up.

So for today, just saying 'hi', introducing myself, and looking forward to getting to know all of you much better.

Hi and look forward to meeting you. watch this site for the posted monthly meeting because sometimes the conference room is changed from A to B.

Hi all,

I have started a Facebook group called british columbia bansters, if interested please check it out. it is a private group

thanks!

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and posting so please forgive me if I'm not doing this correctly. I've been considering LAP-BAND®® surgery for awhile and have 90% made up my mind to proceed in early March. I would be interested in attending a group a little closer to home (south Surrey) to get some advise and support. NVan sounds great but too far to travel after work. Timmmers, I would be interested in meeting in Richmond if something can be arranged.

Thanks

Hi Viking girl, another lady and I met in south surrey this week for our first "meeting" I am hoping to get some other bandsters who cannot go into Vancouver (or dont want to) either in Langley or south surrey or elsewhere that works for most.

Also have set up a group on Facebook if you are interested it is called British Columbia Bandsters

Hi Everyone :scared2:

Hope you're all well and enjoying summer and the warm weather.

Wanted to post to remind everyone interested that this coming Wednesday, July 21st is our monthly get-together in North Vancouver.

I am coming down a little earlier in the day and seeing Dr. Arseneau for a fill....finally !!! My band has been completely empty for almost 6 weeks and I've been a BAD BAD girl!!! :smile:

I'm going to make a few excuses...between surgery, laying on my ass for 2 weeks and limited activity for another 2 weeks, post-op swelling and Water retention from the heat I'm up almost 10 lbs !!! So we're gonna cinch this thing back up and get on the bandwagon !!!

So I hope to see any and all of you at the meeting. As always I will send out my email as well tomorrow and again, if anyone has a specific topis of discussion you would like to focus on, let me know in advance and I'll try to get some relevant materials organized.

Take care everyone !!! I'm headed out to wash my car...

Patricia

Ooops....

BTW... Hi Joanne:smile2:

Glad you found this group, all the info can be invaluable when you're looking into surgery.

I hope you can join us for a few meetings before your surgery, there are plenty of us that would happily answer any questions you might have. And be sure to bring your hubby along if he'd like to join us, everyone is always welcome.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me any time at canadagirl33@hotmail.com

Looking forward to meeting you !!!

Patricia