Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am still waiting for my appointment to see my surgeon, Mr Sean Woodcock, North Tyneside General Hospital,:thumbup: but in the UK we have to have an evaluation, does anyone know what sort of questions to be prepared for ???? many thanks.

I live in the US but I'm fairly certain that the evaluation procedure is the same.

The evaluation is to determine whether you have the discipline and awareness that the success of the surgery is dependent upon you - NOT the surgery itself.

You'll be questioned about WHY this surgery is important to you.

Why prior diets failed -

How do you feel about the life-style changes that are necessary for success.

How realistic and serious are you about the preparation, the physical procedure of surgery, and what you expect after.

And - if you have negative self-image issues - do you expect this surgery to be a "cure" or a "tool".

I had my eval 2 weeks ago and that's pretty much the nature of the questioning.

My eval was different than Elayne's. I had to answer about 300 questions from the MMPI test...and it asks the same question, but reworded, over and over. For example (this isn't one, just an example) you answer true or false: 1. I love pizza and think it is delicious. 15. pizza is the best food. 22. People who love pizza are like me 48 Pizza is good for Breakfast

You get the drift. It's best to just be honest! :thumbup:

Once through that the psychologist questioned me to make sure I wouldn't turn to (not kidding here) alcohol, drugs, gambling or sex once my food was restricted. She didn't ask outright, but that was the point. Again, honesty is the best policy.

It was no big deal! :thumbup:

I also live in the US, my Psyc Evals as RestlessMonkey and Elayne stated they just want to make sure that you will use the lapband as a tool. My evaluation was a combo of RestlessMonkey and Elayne comments. Just be honest!

Good luck.

i have my test next month and i am getting myself worked up i am so nervous as i am really ready to change my life i know the band is just a toll and i am not going to wake up one morning and lose the weight i know there is work to be done and i mean alot of work but i am positive 100% i am ready i just have to get through this test if there is anyone who can tell me more about what to expect i would appreciate it

pipersfour just relax about it! There's no "pass or fail" and you really can't "study" for it. IF you are an alcoholic, for example, the band probably isn't the right choice for you. However, that's actually rare. Just be honest. If you are in a tizzy it will just make it worse ON YOU! :thumbup: deep breaths, be honest, and you'll be fine.

Evaluations can vary a lot from doc to doc. A lot of people just have a quick little Q&A, I had a 3 hour psychiatric evaluation followed by a 1 hour interview with the psych.

Mine evualuation went all the way back to my birth and the eating issues of teenagers and such..They really want to make sure you have no underlying issues with food...You know, anorexia, bulemia...Mine took two appts and was really very rewarding....we went through how people can gain weigh during times of happiness as well as sadness....l didn't hvae to answer any questions on a test, although my sister inlaw did..she failed the first time around...Don't read to much into the questions...Be honest....

I just had my psych assessment and was told that she (the therapist would hold onto the assessment until I complete sessions with an eating D/O therapist. She couldn't be the therapist since she doesn't take my insurance. When I called the Bariatric Center they told me to call her back and tell her to send the assessment to them, that she can't "hold" back on this.

My question is this: How long to do I have to go to therapy? Three months, six months, etc? I don't know if I will be able to afford this for an extended period.

Thanks, Pangea

In my psych eval we talked about everything. First off he had me take a long true false test thingy a lot of the questions were repeats that changed the words around. He asked me what medical probs I had depression etc. Asked me if I was on meds had had prior counseling....then he printed out the results and we talked about them and my past and how I am doing now and what I know and don't know about the surgery. The test took about 30 minutes and I talked with him for about 2 hours. My psych for it expected me to know quite a bit about the surgery and my weight/bmi etc or he said he would have declined me. At the end of the appt he told me I was approved and that he would fax the dr's office later that day..and said I didn't need anymore counseling because I had been going to counseling for my psychological/emotional probs since I was 15 and had delt with it.

My question is this: How long to do I have to go to therapy? Three months, six months, etc? I don't know if I will be able to afford this for an extended period.

Thanks, Pangea

I suggest you ask your Bariatric center. If they don't know, they should be able to tell you who CAN tell you. I'm no "pro" but in all my time of reading the boards etc you're the first I've heard where Therapy (beyond the eval) is "REQUIRED". I wonder, is that your insurance? Your surgeon? or is the therapist trying to get business? Obviously we ALL have eating disorder issues of one type or another...being obese is a disorder.

Unless you have a disorder like bulimia or anorexia that you don't want to reveal here (and that is totally YOUR business!) or some such, I'm at a loss as to why they require more from you.

They're very routine, easy questions like "Have you ever had an eating disorder" and "have you ever attempted suicide?" ... they don't try to trick you or mess with your mind, or anything. It's super easy.

The nurse at my doctor's office said I had to have the "long form" (probably due to my history of depression). At the last WLS support group meeting in my town, a local therapist was the speaker. He is actually one of the psychologists who is approved for the eval. Since I have met him, I felt more at ease. I plan to schedule an appt. with him.

Bottom line: there may be more than one "track" or questionnaire based on your medical history. Nothing to stress over, but to be aware in case you get the more detailed interview.

Dee

You know, rereading through these, the "take away" message is to just be honest and not fret. The evals are not punitive, although many of us larger people are perhaps used to medicine "blaming us" and being less than helpful. The psych eval is to perhaps identify any trouble spots or "red flags" so they can be dealth with preop. Just like we have to go through a chest xray etc etc...it is for information and to optimize our success.

So remember...they are on "your" side in this. IF you do have a potential issue (like depression)...it's best they make sure you have it under control. The band is a huge change; no one wants to get it and then sink into a bad sad place!

Tell the truth and trust that they WANT you to qualify and pass...and they want you to be positioned properly (mentally and physically) for the band to really help you. It's all just part of helping YOU get to that goal.