Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jammin January '07 Bandsters

Hey Everybody! :thumbup: Remember me? Jogging your brain cells...I've missed you, and spent the last hour or so catching up on all the posts. Sorry for not checking in lately...think I made a big mistake not 'gleening' support from you all.

All is so-so here...been an incredibly long and rough spring/summer/early fall. But things are starting to wind down, and hopefully normal chaos is right around the corner!

I, too, have suffered the stagnant weight blues. I'm actually seeing my surgeon on a regular basis now, which is really wonderful. I was less than impressed with the aftercare 'judgement' center tactics. His insight and help have sparked me again!

One conclusion I've come to. I'm to blame, not the band. I stopped doing the work. I let the food slip in. I increased the volume. I ate the queso and guac. I was battling - in my head, with the dr, with the scales - but the band stayed the same. What changed was me! Got too dang comfortable! All the new clothes, all the compliments...but fact is I still can lose 30-50 more pounds. The band is a piece of equipment. IT can't stop working.

So..here's what I'm doing now to readjust my attitude (and guess what, it's working!!)

I asked, and with blessings, am self impossing the post surgery diet for 1 month (am at 2.5 wks). liquids, mushies, soft, etc. My thinking? I lost so much that first month, and my eating habits this year led to a slight stretching, so I wanted to reduce that, and really go slow and relearn the basics. Remember how we were all afraid to even try to eat normal at first? I wanted that fear and consciousness again. Granted, I have eaten out on two occasions, normally, but considerably less in amount. I am not allowing it to be un-livable...I am just dedicating myself, back to myself.

It's working. Updates at the end of this trial!

Still exercising like a mad woman...that has been my saving grace. Seems each week I find a new cardio torture machine, and new ways to torque weights around. I love it! My muscle mass shows a gain:)

Hope to keep in touch, give me a shout...I haven't forgot y'all!

Cindi - So happy you popped in! You hit the nail on the head, the band is the one that continues to work, its "ME" that quits working with the band. I find that I eat more junk when I get comfortable and the weight creeps back on! I am the one that causes the weight gain, not the band.

So good that you are still exercising. I'm become lazy lately at that. I know I need to get back into the groove, I set my alarm this morning to get up, but just couldn't do it. I will be going tonite!

Keep posting, we miss u!

Hiya Tonya,

Hope you enjoyed the Florida trip,even tho it sounds like it was work related. And I hear you...eating junk food can get to you. I get to missing salads when I do that. I need to hit the salads this week anyway...need the roughage!!

No change on my weight, drats...but the waist measurement is smaller. It is shifting around I guess. I really need to start some strengthening routine..like pushups, situps, etc. I think that it will help me all the way around but I get a day or two into it and then stay in bed!!

I still marvel at how much more strength and energy I have these days. I love it. Love my band!

Thanks Tonya :unsure:

I agree with you 100%...the comfort eating is such a slippery slope.

When trying to catch up with this board after being away for such a long time, it seemed to me that there is much more negative, or better put, discouraging chatting going on. I mean in the "trouble with the band" arena. I know those doing well probably post less...but the complications postings seem to have increased - like, 'the fairytale' is not so bright. Hmmm...anyone else noticing this??

Trying not to dwell on bad outcomes...just keep plugging...but the extremely drastric slow down in weight loss can leave you wondeing, can't it?

That adage that the average weight loss is 60-70% of your desired goal is ringing true. I wanna be the exception! Let's stay positive, and keep working at it. I still believe we give up, not the band. Who knew out heads would be more stubborn than the scales? !?

Everyone have a great Halloween...and give away ALL the candy! HA!:)

Cindi - I do notice a lot of negative talk. However, I firmly believe the band does not work for everyone, and I also believe that everyone that is complaining, that some are not following band rules. I believe that some "fail the band" and not "the band failed them".

I have read where some complain that eating ice cream is easy and eating other foods are hard, etc. Hello, why are you eating ice cream and complaining about NOT losing. Wake up Charlie, what did you expect? Ice cream would make you lose? Hello......

Anyhow, I take it with a grain of salt and focus on what I can do better. I do believe there are a few cases that the band simply does not work for them, their bodies just dont tolerate it.

Cindi - so glad you are posting again!

Sula - as long as your losing inches, YOUR LOSING! Girl, your doing good. I notice my inches come off first then all of a sudden I drop, so hang in there, the scale WILL move....

Cindi - I do notice a lot of negative talk. However, I firmly believe the band does not work for everyone, and I also believe that everyone that is complaining, that some are not following band rules. I believe that some "fail the band" and not "the band failed them".

I have read where some complain that eating ice cream is easy and eating other foods are hard, etc. Hello, why are you eating ice cream and complaining about NOT losing. Wake up Charlie, what did you expect? Ice cream would make you lose? Hello......

So so true!! I am so careful about my complaining (even to my hubby) because it usually can be traced back to something dumb like this where I KNOW BETTER!! And it always cracks me up when people get all pissed off when they don't get the responses they want, ya know? People here aren't going to sugar-coat; they're going to bring on the tough love!

Anyway, I'm glad I'm going for another fill in two weeks. I have some restriction, but not enough to make me really pay attention. I need to get my head back in the game. I'm actually looking forward to going back to work in December because I'll be able to fit in some gym time on the way home! It's hard to exercise with a newborn, but I'm trying not to fall into "excuses" mode.

I have pretty good restriction these days, I still don't think I'm at my sweet spot but I'm okay with where I'm at. I feel the food sometimes and I don't eat a bunch, however, I still think I might eat too much?

My weight is bouncing back from 167 to 170, I am ready to make it quit bouncing! I need to exercise! grrrrr. What is wrong with me, I know what I need to do, I just need to do it!

Well, Happy Monday everyone.

I made it to the gym last night! I am still working on getting up in the am, but just ain't happening.

I went down to the gym at work twice yesterday and did 20 min on elliptical. Last night went to my gym by my house and worked with some weights for about 45 minutes, worked my upper body. Then hopped on the elliptical and did another 15 minuties. I was pooped. But so happy I did it.

I'm feeling it today with the weights, my arms are sore! I went down at 10 am and did 20 min and did HIIT, and I will go down again at 3 and don another 20 minuts. I won't go to the gym tonight, we have church, so I want to make sure I do something today. I am going to set my alarm again for in the morning and see if I can crawl out of bed at 5 am. I plan on doing cardio 5 x this week and strength training 3 x.

Hope all is doing well.

I need to get my head back in the game. .

I think that is the hardest thing, getting our mind back in the game. I've struggled with that this past year, but I think I finally got it right, I think it was in August I decided to get it right. Anyhow, It took me awhile, but I finally came around.

It's hard to exercise with a newborn, but I'm trying not to fall into "excuses" mode.

Don't beat yourself up too much. You have a precious baby to take care of and that is the important thing. I know the weather is going to be getting cold, but maybe you could get one of those walking strollers, I used to have one that fit two kids in it. Anyhow, maybe you could fit some walks in with the baby, if its not too cold or windy of course.

Hi all,

I've been down with computer problems so had to do some catch up here and see what is going on. Cindi, glad you are back and Juno...geez..ya just had a baby! :)

I don't down talk my band ever...I'm so happy with it and the results that I can't be negative about it. I get a bit down with my progress of late, but know that is me. I'm just not quite yet to get serious again. I have also thought about either doing a 5 day pouch diet or starting over. I'd be happy if I'd just settle for a yogurt for dinner instead of a meal so late at night.

I was (this is another excuse by the way!) going to start working out on my ellipitical but we are going to have a litter of pups and the basement seems to be the best spot due to our weird fall/winter weather. Better in house than outside in the kennel, I think. So, up comes the carpet and I suppose shoving things into corners. We have about an 10x10 room that is our basement, with the furnace and waterheater and some storage. Oh well...I was talking to a friend about setting up a time and working out daily...then I said..well, maybe after the first of the year. I need a talking too!! :)

I'm so glad to be able to check in here today and see what is up. You've lifted my mood even more!! Thanks

Just had to pop in and say... how many times are they going to redesign this site? I hardly recognized it!

Hiya

I have a client and her daughter that had gastric surgery some time ago. They are going to do the 5 day pouch test diet starting on Monday and so AM I!! Anyone want to join us?

I'll join you shawn. I've done it before too. I'm actually getting a tiny fill on Monday so it will be perfect timing for me.

Okay all liquids on Monday and Tuesday - right? Then its mushy and then soft.

Glad you got your computer problems fixed!

Juno - I agree, it has been redesigned sooooo many times.

Tonya, you got it right. I had to re-read it tho. I did it before as well. I'm doing it for the discipline!! I think the third day is solid Proteins. I liked the good canned tuna so that will be good. And it will make us watch our Water consumption like it is supposed to be. I've gotten so bad about when I drink and how much (usually way too little.)

Any other takers?

I'd love to join you guys. I need to do this badly. Unfortunately, I have a fill appt on Wednesday, so I think the timing will be a little off. Can you guys point me to the info so I can look into it a little? Maybe I will start it on Wednesday.

I'm so embarrassed to go back to the dr because I've gained two pounds. Ugh.

The good news is, I go back to work in 3 weeks, and I'll be able to go to the gym after work on my way to pick up the bambina.