Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kathy's (Best ME) Needle Biopsy:eek:

Some of this is copy/pasted from the What Not to Wear Thread. I started a new one because I could use some prayers/good vibes/white lights/whatever ya got...and we are talking about clothes over there, so a new thread is good...

So I go for my 35yo mammogram 5 years ago and they find a fibroadenoma, a benign solid tumor in my right breast. I follow up in 6 months, no change, come back when you are 40. So now I'm 40, get the mammogram and, as suspected, get a call to come back and take a look...now this is pasted from the other thread...

BUT, here's the squish-o-gram update. Okay, so they do an ultrasound on the right side (just where I suspected the problem area to be) and she measures an area MUCH bigger than 5 years ago when I had this found at my first baseline Mammogram. So whatever it is (they called it a fibroadenoma at the time) it's bigger, but I can't feel it, my OB/Gyn can't feel it, so it's big but not THAT big. Doc came in and said my old pic measured about .7cm, and it is now 1.7cm. It may be a fibroadenoma, could be one of several other things, but it does NOT look like cancer, but since it's growing, we want to know just exactly what it is. So next week I get a needle biopsy. Just for fun, she took the ultrasound machine and checked the opposite side on my left breast (9o'clock on the right, 3o'clock on the left) and found a little something there, too. sigh. So they will needle biopsy both breasts. I'm not all that worried, but I am anxious and it will hang over me a bit until next week.

SO, next week on Tuesday I go for a needle biopsy on the right breast, and an aspiration on the left, and if they can't aspirate cyst-type material from there, if it matches the right breast, they will biopsy that as well. I will have local numbing stuff and ice packs and will need to wear my sports bra for two days even when sleeping. WOW! Anyone else have a needle biopsy that sounds like that with the ice packs and all?

Thanks for your prayers and good wishes. I'm sure it will be fine but it's always a bother until you know for sure.

Oh my gosh...sounds painful to me, im sure you'll be ok.....ive a lil young for all this but i hope all turns out well for ya. Keep us posted.

Kathy,

You certainly have my prayers. Regardless of how harmless this can be, it is still certainly a frightening thing to go through. I truly hope that everything turns out well. Keep us updated!

Fingers and toes crossed for an all-clear, Kathy! Whatever discomfort the diagnostic process causes, it's worth enduring so you'll know what's going on. Good luck!!!

Keeping you in My Prayers Kathy.. I pray everything turns out ok and the whole procedure goes by very fast.

Kathy, I had to have a needle biopsy for a couple lumps in my right breast (ended up having a lumpetomy for the last one...too deep) about 5 years ago. Sounds about right with the ice and sports bra. It was a bit unnerving at the time, but I was also extremely emotional as I was going thru a divorce, my older son needed to have his tonsils out (had to rush him to ER twice they were so swollen) and I forget what else was going on at that time. Just remember it put your mind at ease once you get the good results back and THEY WILL BE GOOD RESULTS!

Kathy,

I have had 3 different biopsies and the worst one was the needle core biopsy where you lie on the table on your stomach. I refuse to have another one of those done ever again. My breast hurt for months after the procedure. The regular biopsies where they stick the needle in first and then go and biopsy was not nearly as bad. Are they performing two diffent types of biopsies on each breast?

Kathy, sounds as if you're having the same procedure my best friend had last year. It's no fun, to be sure . . . but she was glad she went through it, because everything turned out just fine. Hang in there!

The needle aspiration biopsy wasn't too bad. If Madeline's Mom is talking about the stereotactic biopsy, yes that was bad. But not as bad as not knowing, and 2 years later with a double-mastectomy & simultaneous tram-flap (from the abdomen) reconstruction, I'm doing just great! No chemo, no radiation, because everything was caught in time. It's a good thing you're taking care of it. You'll feel a lot better once you know results. I'm not trying to minimize your fear, because it is scary.