Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lunch from "Heck"...Dang sliming!

#%@#@!$ %:cursing:...... Today I had a long awaited lunch date with a friend of that I haven't seen since march. She was aware of my surgery and I was anxious to show her my 50 lb weight loss. She was very happy to see my weight loss and we were seated and ordered our lunch. Everything was going fine UNTIL I took my first bite. I has spent a decent amount of time thinking over the menu but opted for the roast beef manhattan which is one of the best things you can order at an Amish restaurant. I don't know what I was thinking because immediately after the first bite, I knew it was stuck. I sat and waited figuring it would work it's way down like most things stuck. NOT!! :eek: I told her I was having a little discomfort and was explaining to her what goes on with food being stuck. Thank heavens she has a strong stomach and nothing bothers her. I excused myself to the ladies room but to no avail. It wasn't ready to do it's thing. I then told her I needed to leave the restaurant and go to my car. At this point the poor girl was shoving her food in her mouth as fast as she could. I can't say as I blame her...it was tasty. I then headed to my car and just in time. :crying: Fortunately I had a towel in my car (something I will make sure I always have). After repeated bouts of sliming, I headed home. What a drive home it was.....again, that towel was great to have. I would say the whole episode lasted about an hour but it was awful. I have learned my lesson and will not try pot roast type meats again.:thumbdown: Too stringy and hard to go down. Oh, I did call her to apologize and we have set another lunch date for next week.

Ok so first thing, no certain food should be off limits because oh having trouble getting it down. You should feel restrictions but you shouldn't find yourself looking for the easiest thing to get down. It's about little little bites and chewing until your jaw is sore. I know its really hard because your eyes are WAY bigger than the hole in your stomach. I didn't realize how important it was to eat slow and small bites and chew. Don't be surprised if the bites you took out of your food looks like you didn't eat enough. Don't look, listen. Listen to your stomach. That will save you many trips to the bathroom. I'm glad that I am starting to forget what insides of people's toilets look like. :]

hope that helps

Hollie, I realize you have lost a lot of weight already, but sometimes little pieces of well chewed food gets stuck. I have had it happen. It doesn't always mean the food isn't chewed correctly. Some food just don't agree with people after the surgury.

I HAVE MORe of a sometimes i can eat it sometimes i cant kinda lapband...however i dont leave out a food..except bread rice or pasta....they just take up too much space lol... but dont think because that happened once or twice it'll happen again...try ...it may work and go down.... it may not...... good luck

i dont eat some things like soft bread because it WILL get stuck..im not too tight or anything like that.. i have been banded for a year now.. so im just used to not eating bread.. even if i chew chew chew it still doesnt work! or dry meat.. that doesnt work either

Ok thanks for that but I have been banded for over 11 months. I am very aware of what getting sick is like. I know bodies fluxuate differently at different times of the day. I know certain things won't always go down depending on the day. Listen to her words. After the first bite she knew she would be sick. That means she took too big of a bite or didn't chew enough. I think I have had enough personal experience to know the difference. I'm not trying to be a know it all and am always open to suggestion but I believe I know what I am talking about. There is no certain food I avoid at all. Not even beef Jerky. I have great restriction and can handle most things. If I don't chew well enough, I get sick. Plain and simple.

Edited by Hollie519

So sorry you had to go through that and ruin your fun lunch with your friend, I'm glad you have another scheduled. I'm terrified of this happening to me, so far I've only gotten one bite stuck and it went through in about 5 minutes, but I don't have any fill yet.

My doctor says EXACTLY what Hollie said. I haven't had my first fill yet and I ate something yesterday forgetting to chew, chew, chew until I swallowed half way and felt it stuck in my chest. Luckily it's soft foods right now, so it went away... which is why they put us on these diets! LOL!

I'm with Hollie though, it's like being sick. When you get sick after eating something (without being banded) you are weary of eating that same food again. To this day I hate Pepto Bismol because when I was a child when I first had to take it, I threw up pink! LOL! But there really aren't any foods I've done that with. Maybe for awhile... but eventually you try it again!

Question what is sliming? I've gotten sick after eating something I didn't chew well or when I was too tight (for about a day before slightly unfilled) but have heard folks on here talk about sliming what the heck is that? thanks.

Weightisover,

I know how you feel. A couple of weeks ago my husband and I went out to dinner with some friends who just moved back to town. They didn't know about my surgery. With my first bite I knew I was stuck.

I made my way to the restroom and there was someone in the one stall. We were at a nice restaurant so I suffered until she left so I wouldn't ruin her dinner. About 15 minutes later, I had to go again (still stuck). This time both stalls were occupied. I had to go out behind the restaurant. Thought I was done, but no such luck! For the third time I made my way to the restroom and the only thing that ever came up (besides slime) was a tiny piece of meat about the size of a pencil eraser.

Needless to say I didn't eat my dinner and threw away what I brought home. I think that was my first and last visit to a Thai restaurant.:cursing:

I find that I get stuck when I haven't eaten in a while (over 4 hours). I've tried to notice if I'm eating too fast but sometimes it doesn't appear to be that. If I don't eat regularly, my stomach cramps up when I finally do eat and that starts the whole PBing process. I have to be very careful to eat at the proper intervals.

Anyhow, the whole thing was just very embarrassing. We told our friends what the issue was so now my husband's ex (who is also this person's friend) I'm sure knows about my surgery. It wasn't what I wanted but oh well...life goes on :thumbdown:

After going through this fiasco today, and reading all the responses, I think a couple things caused my problem. One, it was noon and I had not had one thing to drink or eat yet for the day (tsk tsk) and therefore my band was still tight. Carla mentioned in her response that it's happened to her when she hadn't eaten for 4 hours. Also, I think the weather may also have played a part. I'm in west central fla and even though hurricane ike is south of us, we still are feeling some weather from it. I'm wondering if the lower barometer may have made my band tighter. It's felt tight all day. For whatever reason, I will still be extra careful with meats for awhile. I did have a few bites of chicken tonight with no problems.

As for the person who asked what sliming was. The only way for me to describe it is that your body produces copious amounts of saliva to help the food go down and if the food doesn't go down, you keep producing it and it has nowhere to go so it comes up. I've done it before but today was a whole new experience. I had huge amounts of it and the best way to describe it is that it reminds me of egg whites that have been slightly whipped. Really gross and really slimey. Sorry to be graphic but I'm sure everyone on this board at one time will have an episode to some degree. I'm glad I had known ahead of time what to expect or it would have scared the dickens out of me.

the eating on a schedule thing is super important to me. if i don't eat on time, then i feel like im starvin and always end up eating too much and/or too fast.

i also just had another fill, now relearning about mushies, and to eat smaller quantities

Oh my! Sorry you had to endure such an experience. It must have been horrible...

Whether or not you chewed well enough, or whether it was the weather all I have to say is THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS. It serves as a stark reminder to us newbies about what can happen if we DON'T chew properly, etc.

I haven't had the sliming problem, but a doughnut got stuck once and I haven't touched them since. Same thing with biscuits and other doughy breads. This is a very good thing because they are some of my problem foods!

Oh, BTW, even before the band, stringy pot roast was always hard for me to chew properly.

I found that the most likely time for me to have a PB or sliming episode is when eating with friends. No matter how much I tell myself to be careful, when I start chattering and eating at the same time, I would just forget to pay attention to proper chewing and small bites. It is so easy to do! The chewing habit is really ingrained for me now, but I still have to pay conscious attention to it when eating out, else I can land myself in the same problem.

I wouldn't give up on the pot roast - it's more likely a combination of not having eaten earlier in the day and not paying enough attention because you were concentrating on talking with your friend.

the only thing that ever came up (besides slime) was a tiny piece of meat about the size of a pencil eraser.

In the entire process of educating myself on the band, and conversations with the doc, the nurse, the nutritionist etc, it was repeated over and over...the size of bite to put into your mouth should be about the size of a pencil eraser, and then chew the living daylights out of it. So if it was pencil eraser sized going into the mouth, it should be mush going down the gullet.

I have PB'd too (at 7 months out it would be miraculous if I hadn't!), but every time it was the result of not chewing the food to bits.