Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mississippi Bandsters!

Hi Mississippians,

I doesn't look like MS'eons visit here very often.

I just found out that on Sept 11th. at 6:00 PM River Oaks is having another semanar. I went to the one at CMMC and am waiting for Medicare to OK the Hospital to do the Lap-band for Medicare coverage. Also, from a preveous post I noticed that a support group is starting up on Sept 4th. at River Oaks. Does anyone now what time?? I might have to call River Oaks to find out.

If Medicare covers the Banding here, I would prefer to have it done there because it's closer, I live in Puckett.

Don

hi skinnydippn~

i live in jackson and was banded Jan 29th 2007 by Dr Ken Cleveland at CMMC. I was at the CMMC seminar last week and got up and spoke about my lap band experience. Hope things wotk out for you and you're able to be banded. Keep coming to this site and you'll glean some good information and support.

Yes, I do remember you. You were the lady that lost over 50 lbs. Very incourging to here things like that. I'm hoping the the River Oaks Hospital is OKed by medicare because it's closer to me; but if not I will have it done at CMMC.

Don

Hi skinnydippn42!

I just read your post and wanted to let you know that the time for the support group at River Oaks tomorrow night (Sept. 4th) is from 6:00-7:00 p.m.... I'm looking forward to being there! I wish I knew the answer to your question about Medicare, but I don't. I have BC/BS and they do not cover any of the costs. I was self-pay and that is tough! I hope you get it all cleared up and start on the road to a healthier you soon. I'm sure Dr. Cleveland is good if you go to CMMC, but I can tell you first hand that if River Oaks is a possibility, that you will be very pleased also. Dr. Carroll is great and his staff are all very nice and helpfull. River Oaks couldn't be better also! Much luck to you!

Thank you for answering about the time of the the River Oaks support group meeting I plan on being there to see what it's all about. I'll try to be there before 6:00PM. See you there.

Don :eek:

I'm glad this thread was started and there's so much response.

I live in Olive Branch. I know there must be plenty of bandsters here.

My 1yr anniversary is this month. I've lost 65lb, no longer have HTN or Diabetes. I feel blessed.

Madaline's Mom, I didn't think Dr. Madan would take pts done outside the U.S. I went to Mx. for surgery and have gotten my fills there. Somehow, it just seems easier.

We need to have a get-together/support meeting.

Thanks for posting.

Jewel

Dr. Ortiz, TJ, Mx

9/13/06

218-153-g145

Hi everyone,

I went to see my regular Doctor in Brandon, MS (Dr. Flemming) for my annual checkup. While I was there I asked him about the lab-Band. He said as long it is done by a Docotor that has done a lot of them it is just fine. He has a patient that weighted almost 400 lbs that had it done and is down to around 220 lbs.

As soon as the CMMC Hospitol in Jackson, MS. is "OKed" by Medicare I'm going to have it done. Just the old waiting game.

Don:nervous

Don,

I enjoyed meeting you at the support group meeting at River Oaks Hosp. Tuesday night. I wish you the very best of luck on getting your surgery approved and I will keep you in my prayers.

Hi, Don here,

My wife (Nina) asked me to write something on the Bariatric Seminar at the River Oaks Hospital in jackson, MS close to Flowwood & Brandon that Her & I went to. (09-11-07)

This might take awhile to write so be patient. I'm writing this slow because I know some people can't read fast. (I'M NOT NAMING NAMES)

Dr. Carroll is the Doctor that started the meeting and he is the person that does the surgery. I found out that He is the one that Trained the two Doctors that gave the other Seminar I went to last month at a different hospital (CMMC). He has been doing the Bariatric surgeries for 10 + years. The Lap-Band surgery has only been done anyplace in the USA since about 2001.

It was a very informative meeting as well as the one I went to last month. My big concern is the cost. The cost is about $16000.00 PLUS if you pay cash. We have Federal BC/BS. they pay for 90% of it. Now that I'm 65 and on Medicare this is where it gets complicated. This is something I have not worked out yet. Medicare is suppose to be my "Primary" insurance now & F BC/BS 2nd dairy. BUT, if Medicare does not cover it will F BC/BS pay the 90%???? Nina & I are going to the main BC/BS office soon and TRY to understand it.

After Dr. Carroll finished telling about the different types of Bariatric surgeries and what to except, a Dietitian spoke on what to except BEFORE & AFTER the surgery. On what you can eat, what you can't eat and the portion sizes. Dr. Carroll recommends the Sugar Busters Diet after the surgary.

Dr. Carroll said if your BMI is between 40 & 48 He would probably do the Lap-Band. If it's more than that He would probably do the Gastric By-pass. My BMI is 42, Nina's is 37. He also said Nina might not be a candidate for the surgary. He also said the if I have the surgary, Nina should start losing by (OSMOSES- MY WORD). In most cases the partner of the one having the surgery will lose just because they see their partner losing. Very interesting.

That's enough for now. If you have anymore (?) please ask. A good Website is www.lapband.com.

Don

PS: Update (I just found out that I will be covered by my Insurence if Medicare OK's it or not. I hope this is true.

I have my 1st. appointment with Dr. Carroll on Sept. 24th.:whoo:

PSS: I proof read this 3 or 4 times and caught most of my mistakes, so that should have let the slow readers catch up. (It's a joke)

Hi,

My 1st. Doc's meeting went fine. Having my Psychology testing done on Oct. 3rd., my 43rd Wedding Annv.

Too add to a busy month I'm having a Colonascopy on Sept. 27th. Everything coming around fast now. My Family Doc wanted me to have it as one of my Annual test. My Banding Doc., Dr. Carroll wanted me to have it before the banding. Well set up an appt. wth the Dietition soon. Might be Banded in early Nov.

Progress is being made. My Insurence Co. & Medicare said that they will cover 100% of the cost, let's hope that realy is the case.

Don

Hi Y'll,

My Doc has submitted the papers to my Ins. Co. & Medicare, just waiting for thier reply.

I seen the shrink yesterday (10-03-07) as part of my Pre-op. I was there 4 hrs and had to answer over "700" Yes or No questions :faint:on paper plus a few orel questions from the Doc. Then........ went to Sam's and did a little shopping, this is the way I spent my 43rd. wedding Anaversary.

BUT......... When I arrive home, I rang the door bell and when my wife answered the door I had "two doz rosses" in my hand. Made Her day. :biggrin1:

That's the latest update from this arena; just playing the old waiting game.

Don

Hell! This my first post. My Hubby is skinnydippn42. Yes, I spent most of yesterday alone on our 43rd wedding anniversary, with just our cat Buddy. I did email my sister and yaya sisters. :-) If I had to answer those questions that my Hubby answered it would take me twice as long! 7oo questions!!! plus others! I need to lose weight also but don't qualifly yet. I'd have to gain more weight! ^_^

Yayaflowerlady

Hi,

After I came home the Doc gave me an large envelope with more papers to fill out that I have not looked at yet.

It was about 10-12 more page to fill out and mail back to him. It took me another 2 Hrs. to fill out those papers. This batch went into great detial on my passed eating habits, Family, on & on & on. Glad to have that over with. :faint:

Going to my Family Doc Monday (10-08-07) to update my Annual checkup so He can send a letter to Dr. Carrell saying that I'm healthy enough for the surgery. Still waiting for the Ins. Co. to "OK" everything.

Don