Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 quick questions....

1. Does everyone eat ONLY when they are hungry? Or do you eat when you know you should? For example, Breakfast, to get your metabolism revved?

2. What does it mean to eat around the band?

THANKS

I learned being diabetic that the smart thing to do was eat something as soon as my feet hit the floor each morning to turn on my metabolism. So I still do that.

I try to eat at the predetermined times, eat the smartest things I can choose from and stay full until the next meal. If I'm frequently becoming hungry before the next meal -- or just before bed -- that's my clue it's time for a fill.

Eating around the band means eating anything that will slip quickly and easily past the band and is contrary to smart eating -- ice cream, shakes, high calorie Soups, etc. Once you're past liquids and mushies post-op, you should be eating REAL food....that requires cutting and chewing. This will sit in your pouch longer and tell you're brain you are full much, much longer. Soups will go right past and your brain isn't getting the FULL signal.

Guest Leslie2Lose

<HR style="COLOR: #d9d9d9; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d9d9d9" SIZE=1> 1. Does everyone eat ONLY when they are hungry? Or do you eat when you know you should? For example, breakfast, to get your metabolism revved?

I try to follow what my doctor's guidelines are. I normally have a Protein shake before working out (just added that in the last couple of weeks), then I'll have coffee (my band is usually tightest in the mornings - it helps loosen it up), then breakfast. I generally eat when I get hungery. I will have a snack in the afternoons (usually a Protein Bar, yesterday it was manderan oranges). My advice is follow your nutritionist/doctor's orders and listen to your body.

Eating around the band is eating foods that easily pass through the band. Those include chips, icecream, milkshakes (i.e. most junk food). chips turn to dust when they hit your stomach (empty calories) and anything liquid goes right down (icecream/milkshakes are liquid calories). Although these things go down easily they can hinder your weight loss efforts.

Stick to the band-"diet"...Protein First, Veggies, Fruits then the remainder. I make sure I get in my dairy too (I've craved dairy since being banded).

If I am hungry, I definitely have a little something to eat.

If I am not hungry, I still eat at least a little something at the regular mealtimes. I found that when I didn't do this, when I became hungry again I became overly hungry and it started triggering an urge to binge. I also found that being too hungry causes me to eat faster and I am more likely to PB or choose something "quick" that is not as healthy for me.

I skipped meals for years thinking I was helping weight loss, yet I was definitely obese because it gave me a tendency to overdo it later. Now I don't skip and I lose steadily week after week.

I pretty much follow my doctors guidlines except the part about breaking my fast as soon as I wake up (I have to take thyroid meds so I can not eat first thing in the morning--have to wait 1 hour after taking the pill).

I eat when I am hungry but out of necessity, have managed to work my hunger into a pretty good schedule. I eat Breakfast (usually eggbeaters) 1 hour after taking my medication--around 6 AM. I have a midmorning shake not so much out of hunger but because I am trying to up my Protein intake (experiencing some hairloss). I have lunch (meat and veggies) at noon and am usually quite hungry by then. I usually start to get just a little hungry around 4:00 and have my Protein shot which will give me enough energy to take a walk or do a workout before dinner. I have my dinner between 5:30-6:00. I like to have all of my eating out of the way by 6:30 so that I will have digested by bedtime (nutrionist suggests this so I will be using fat instead of calories while sleeping)

Edited by Jodi_620

i try to eat on a timeline. i always eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.... hungry or not. sometimes i'll feel the need for a snack so i'll eat a couple of almonds or a piece of cheese... always Protein Snacks though.

i'm rarely hungry. last week my stomach just growled for the first time since my surgery 4 months ago. i have been able to eat around the band and i feel horrible afterwards.

<HR style="COLOR: #d9d9d9; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d9d9d9" SIZE=1> 1. Does everyone eat ONLY when they are hungry? Or do you eat when you know you should? For example, Breakfast, to get your metabolism revved?

I try to follow what my doctor's guidelines are. I normally have a Protein shake before working out (just added that in the last couple of weeks), then I'll have coffee (my band is usually tightest in the mornings - it helps loosen it up), then breakfast. I generally eat when I get hungery. I will have a snack in the afternoons (usually a Protein Bar, yesterday it was manderan oranges). My advice is follow your nutritionist/doctor's orders and listen to your body.

Eating around the band is eating foods that easily pass through the band. Those include chips, icecream, milkshakes (i.e. most junk food). chips turn to dust when they hit your stomach (empty calories) and anything liquid goes right down (icecream/milkshakes are liquid calories). Although these things go down easily they can hinder your weight loss efforts.

Stick to the band-"diet"...Protein First, Veggies, Fruits then the remainder. I make sure I get in my dairy too (I've craved dairy since being banded).

Great New Pic of you Leslie! Haircut looks cute! :)

Guest Leslie2Lose

Great New Pic of you Leslie! Haircut looks cute!

Thanks Susie. I got it cut, again. I also went back to my natural color. My hair is falling out and the highlights had grown out - I was afraid to re-highlight again. I like the dark hair, but it is taking some adjusting...I know you weren't looking for a novel on the compliment. I appreciate it though.

Thanks Susie. :) I got it cut, again. I also went back to my natural color. My hair is falling out and the highlights had grown out - I was afraid to re-highlight again. I like the dark hair, but it is taking some adjusting...I know you weren't looking for a novel on the compliment. I appreciate it though.

I hear you! I have since given up on coloring my hair as well and have gone back to au-nautural... It most def. takes some getting used to! I'm also ready to chop it off!!! I think the shorter it is, the easier to maintain!!!

Either way, you're looking GREAT!!! :unsure: