Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marchies 07~18 months later...

This is our September thread.

It's been 18 months, a year and a half from surgery. Officially this is the half way mark to goal. At least I was told to expect it to take three years.

So come on Marchie Mavens,

Keep the conversation rolling.

We've still got work to do. :party:

Much Love,

J

Hi All, just catching up on the last posts of everyone. I can very well attest to all that was said. As for the 18 mos mark, I expected to be at my weight goal at 12 mos. Then I set 18 mos, now I'm going for 24 mos. For I don't see myself being there by December. But, I do see another 30 lb loss. Bringing me to less than 200 lbs by December.

I'm struggling about now 'cause I've been eating alot of junk foods. Not fast foods which I'm grateful for. The junk foods is going down better than regular foods. For some reason I'm having issues eating anything early in the day, but have no trouble towards the evening. Then again that's 'cause I've been struggling to get something eaten the better part of the day. The only thing I can eat without problems is fish. meats seems to go down hard and slow. Yet fish goes down better and smoother. Go figure. Still can't eat anything spicy hot or strong spices.

Since going back to the gym I've maintained my weight. I'll be losing more now, since my step aerobics class will be starting again this Thursday.

I too don't want to or like to think of how much I would weigh now if it was not for deciding to get the band. It scares me to think about it.

So, now that the summer is coming to a close, we can now map out a plan to fit into our winter schedule and get back on board with losing again.

Juli, I'm going to take some classes in nutrition and hope to partner with a community base program that gives cooking and nutritional classes to people. I would most like to help the baby boomers generation and older. So, thanks for the boost to go back to school. I may not get a diploma but a certificate will do me just fine.

I'm going to make September my turning point of losing weight again. I do want to be at goal weight some March, 2009.

So, let's the moving begin and see how much more we can lose. For no matter the few pounds we put on, it's not a permanent gain.

:Banane53:Oh Yeah!!!! I got approved to have my lapband put back on.

You guys I am so darn happy. I am set to have it done on September 16, it all went so fast. I am getting the newer band that is more slip resistance, it is pillowed all the way around. They usually put in 3-4 stitches to hold, I am going to ask him if he get put in about 20.LOL

Did any of you get guidelines on any restrictions when you had the lapband put on regarding long term.?

You guys that have lost over a 100 lbs, oh my gosh!! All you guys are amazing.

I may have to bug you guys a little with questions as I start over again. I am going to also join the new September group so I can be refreshed again.

:Banane53:Oh Yeah!!!! I got approved to have my lapband put back on.

You guys I am so darn happy. I am set to have it done on September 16, it all went so fast. I am getting the newer band that is more slip resistance, it is pillowed all the way around. They usually put in 3-4 stitches to hold, I am going to ask him if he get put in about 20.LOL

Did any of you get guidelines on any restrictions when you had the lapband put on regarding long term.?

You guys that have lost over a 100 lbs, oh my gosh!! All you guys are amazing.

I may have to bug you guys a little with questions as I start over again. I am going to also join the new September group so I can be refreshed again.

Yeah FREAKING HAW!

Please keep us posted! I got nothing other than general don't eat it if it feels bad or will make you fat instructions.

XO

J

Juli, I'm going to take some classes in nutrition and hope to partner with a community base program that gives cooking and nutritional classes to people. I would most like to help the baby boomers generation and older. So, thanks for the boost to go back to school. I may not get a diploma but a certificate will do me just fine.

Gwen,

In the fascinating world we live in there's always something to learn, a place to explore, things to do.

Certificate, diploma, whatever, just the doing and the learning and the growing is what's important.

Please make sure you share with us what you learn that may help us on our path.

:)

J

:) Woohooooooo, Janine! So happy for you! You're going to do great--just like you did last time but even better because you'll have it longer. Congrats! Don't forget about us Marchies--you're one of us!

Purple: we are band sisters, remember? So happy for your great loss--way to go! If I'd lost half that much I'd be thrilled. But I'm still planning on goal by March '09. You are an inspiration. As is Juli and all the rest of you Marchies.

And as far as diplomas, I graduated from college in August 2006 at age 57--it was wonderful. My grandkids walked with me. Joyous day! Self-improvement and meeting goals is always a good thing, no matter when it happens. Congrats, Juli! and good luck Whitepants--all things are possible, right?

Happy September, friends. We are getting to our goals in different ways and at different speeds but we are all getting there and for that we should all be grateful.

Hi Everyone, just checking in. Janine congradualtions on getting rebanded and with the latest band. So, now we get to hear first hand on how the new and improved model works.

In helping to get you on track, it'll refrsh our memories on what we need to do get ourselves on track. And we'll all move forward together.

Thursday is gym day and I'll be happy to get back to it. I think I've gotten over the plateau and junk food cravings. July and August was rough. Dropped 2 lbs from Monday. I think going to the gym last week helped too. My highest weight for the summer was 220 lbs now I'm back to 213 lbs.

Have a great day.

Wow. I missed most of August and all of September so far with the Marchies. Where did the summer go?

Well, I was on vacation for 2 weeks over my anniversary and birthday. We had a great vacation (Oregon coast) and I gained 4 lbs, from 167 to 171. Isn't it weird how you can be at a weight that a year ago you could only dream about, but now it feels FAT because you've regained it? So weird. I totally feel fat, but it's just 4 lbs that are hanging on. Still running, still mostly doing the same things. I totally challenged my band on vacation, though. I think I'm due for a visit to the surgeon again just to make sure everything is as it should be.

School is marching along too. Have been in the OR all summer, learning lots. Anesthesia is complex, and we're just now getting to the point of learning how much more there is to learn. But it's been going well. I'm getting tired of getting up at 4am though!!!

Still running. About 12 miles per week now, I was higher before but it just hasn't been happening.

That's it with me. Sounds like folks are doing okay for the 18 month point. Juli, saw your grad photos, CONGRATS! You looked super cute in your little dress and your cap and gown. It must feel great to have accomplished your degree after so much work. This was your MBA right?

Janine, I am so glad you are getting your band back and SOON. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose it. OMG. Best to you and keep us posted on how everything goes. I'm curious to hear how the new band is compared to the one most of us Marchies have (probably all of us) so you can't leave the Marchies!

Best to everyone, keep on trucking.

Gwen

Gwen

Nice to have you back. And good you for keeping the running up. I'm so hot and cold with it. I'm cold with it right now. I know it will get me to my goal sooner, I just don't have joy for it. Maybe later.

And to answer that's my undergrad. I'm still plugging away on the MBA. I'm in an integrated, BS-MBA program. I'll be done with classes at the end of March. I graduate in May. Your schooling sounds intense. WOW.

I can't wait to be done! Homework is calling.

J

Janine, Congrats on your getting approved for being rebanded!!! I'm so happy for you!!!:thumbup: Don't forget, as miss juli said once a marchie always a marchie!!

Its really hard to believe 18mths post op (mine is in a week).. Im a little down because i wished i would be a little further in my journey.. Dont get me wrong i am very pleased without the amount i have lost!!! But the fact that my scale is flat linning and im not at the 'sweet spot' is frustrating me..

I've also been very stressed lately... I was doing ok handling school and work until the now when family problems arose... I can't sleep (almost at the point of asking my dr. for a Rx for sleep aides) and am completely fighting my instinct of turning to sweets when im stressed.. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, but its really big challenge for me right now.

Ok I'm going to start off by saying this is a long post, Because i have a lot on my mind.. So please bare with me.

First of all, My brother was a drug addict about 5-6yrs ago... At that time i was 16-17yrs old and had to be the strong one in the family and bottled up everything inside because i didnt want my mother to see me fall apart in fear that it would make her fall apart even more.. I stayed strong help my mother and brother through everything and always was supportive to both of them. What i turned to at that time of stress was food and sweets in order to suppress my emotions..

My brother recovered and stayed clean for 5 yrs, his life was starting to fall into place and so was mine.. I thought i finally got my food addiction under control and emotions as well.. I got my band, the weight was coming off i got a full time job and am a fulltime student working in getting my Nursing degree.

But this joy was short lived, unfortunately my brother had recently relapsed and returned to his old ways; and once again i find i am back in the same place of having to be the strong one.. I really dont think i can handle this again, but i know i have to do it for my mom. My mom needs all the support she can get, especially now since she has hypertension (high blood pressure) and high cholesterol.. Its basically a stroke waiting to happen..

Naturally, i want to turn to food as comfort, but i know i cannot.. Im trying my hardest not to give in, but its so difficult..

I figured i could turn to my fellow bandsters for some support..I just dont know what to do anymore.. I am having a hard time sleeping, little rest is making it hard for me to concentrate at work and school.

Im just so upset at myself i thought i finally conquered the emotionional and psychological issues of eagting but found out that they were only temporary... I am also starting to put myself down again and thinking im a failure... :redface:

Oh Jeni,

I feel so bad for you, you have had to deal with so much for such a

young lady.

Well one major thing is yes, everyone has a vice they fall back in times of despair, but thank heavens you have your band. I thought in my head with the band, Oh I will never eat wrong again, I will never gain weight again. How many times did we say to ourselves before the band please, please let me go back to my proper weight, I will never gain the weight back again. I have learned my lesson.

I got down right cocky with my band on. I began to look at those around me and think to myself, look at those people they have no self control what is wrong with them. That was actually my band talking too. Because I did not have that urge to eat, my husband is overweight with diabetes, I would look at him with disgust and say stop eating all that food.

They often ask what type of eater are you? I laughed I thought I knew. I thought I was indeed just a social eater that loved the textures and flavor of food. But was it just that? Could I really be 100 lbs overweight just wanting to enjoy food among family and friends.

WRONG I lost my band, I vowed I would never put one more lb on. I had learned, I thought. I am going to say it right here, we have not learned, we are compulsive eaters that turn to food in time of crisis. So shortly after my band was off I was so low, what have I done my whole life, turn to food.

But here was the wake up call.

My mother became ill, my dad was a wreck, and for the first time in my life I stopped and listened to what my brain was saying. and this is what it was: Janine you can't deal with this you need a cookie, it will make things better, Janine just get the cookie Janine, the damn cookie Janine. I had several Cookies and that was just the beginning.

I am being rebanded September 16 after losing 70 lbs and regaining 35 lbs. I know now that I am mentally sick over food. I am very humbled by my experience and will try to have more compassion for those struggling around me. I will be so thankful that I was given the opportunity to once again have this incredible tool to help me with what I can not deal with in times of tragedy and crisis. Not to mention everyday life.

Jeni you have your tool you have done fabulous girl, you need to respect that lapband and yourself. And know, if you have a set back it will only be a couple pounds not 35. You take care of yourself first so you can be there for your mom and brother. There are thousands of people on this forum who are just like you and me, compulsive eaters, but we are doing something about it and we should be proud. You turn to us for support we can feel your pain. We are here........

Fondly, Janine

thanks janine, that was well said.. Yes the band is a wonderfull thing and i too got a reality check when i had my band completely unfilled.. (as hard as it is to admit i finally realized that the evil compulsive eater is still inside me)

I understand that i will only be set back a little.. (thanks to my band buddy) but its just so hard to deal with the emotions.. im having such a hard time keeping my composure talking about this .. even typing or reading the posts on here have got me breking down in tears....

I just dont know if i can be strong enough to go throught this yet again..

Thank you for your kind words:wub:

Jeni,

You'll be strong enough because you'll be strong enough. Don't doubt your abilities.

You've got the tools and I'm not talking about the band, but if you don't know what the tools I men they are a healthy mind and the ability to think.

When it's too much, and it might be too much already, find a peer, therapist, minister, someone who can listen and help give you guidance.

You are not alone in having to care for your family. And lean on those who will support you at this time.

And remember you can only fix so much. Try to let go of what you can not change and focus on what you can.

Peace there girl,

J