Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been "preparing"?

Ok so in the information received from the surgeon and dietician it says the sooner you start preparing the better. Meaning you should start now eating slow, smaller bites, chewing well, etc. So I am wondering if I'm the only one who has been puttin this off? I find it hard to do these things (along with dieting) if I'm not "forced" to. This has been my own personal experience. Anyone else in the same boat?

any thing you can lose now is that much less after surgery!! try high Protein foods and no sugar low carbs that will curb your hunger. i ate yogurts, sugar free Jello [premade] . no sweets or tons of bread like i did before and i got off to a good start before my surgery. you still must have self control to make the band work. my daughter had it one yr ago and is doing super 80 lbs gone. i found a good Protein Drink online new -whey liquid protien0 sugar and 42 grams of protein i like the blue rasberry flavor. good luck

Cobrien.... I feel the same way. I keep saying I have to get it together and try to focus a little on the changes I will have to make. I need to get to the health food store and buy a few different Protein Drinks, Snacks, etc. I have gotten so much info from this site as to which things to try I just need to get to the store. My surgery is scheduled for November 24th. I just got back from vacation, my kids start school this week and my class starts next week. Once I'm back into a routine I will run to the health food store and stock up, try out different things. I am also scheduling an appt with the nutritionist, we were playing phone tag while I was away. Ugh!!!

I've been working my ass off preparing for this, and I've gone and blown it. I dunno about you guys, but I'm an emotional eater and the last couple of weeks has just sucked for me.

So I've gone and put on at least 10lbs that I've worked my butt off to lose. Which is depressing in its own.

One very very big difference between this time and all the times before I've done this though - I actually caught myself trying to comfort myself with food and threw the food out.

Now I just need to get back on track. :thumbup:

every since i had to do six months dietian classes. the first three months i.ve lost nothing but when she said you have to prove to them you can lose the weight i got going now as of sept3 i,ve lost 27lbs on my own.at first i was slacking she told me the kind of foods to eat but i went out an bought me chicken b&beef broth, dannon light&fit yogurt,sugarfree Jello, eas drinks, crystal light.an i started exercising on my stationary bike for thirty minutes.a day.

I went to the initial seminar and left with some goals. I want to chew each bite 30 times, not drink any liquids with my meal, Drink 64oz of Water every day, No snacking and start cutting down portion size.

I have not managed to do this 100% successfully. I have not given up but I am a little discouraged. I am supposed to lose 20lbs before surgery and currently am frightened to step on the scale. To top it all off I had to pick up a second job so my 3xs a week at curves has had to be put on hold.

How did others get the boost to get going? The whole reason I have opted for the lapband is because I can't lose weight by myself I have tried over and over. I used to be able to drop 20+lbs on diets but the past few years I haven't even been able to do that.

Is there a thread to support those of us that are pre-surgery trying to lose the 10%?

One very very big difference between this time and all the times before I've done this though - I actually caught myself trying to comfort myself with food and threw the food out.

Now I just need to get back on track. :crying:

GOOD FOR YOU!:lol:

I've been struggling with "starting to eat better now, or not worrying about it until surgery". I'm back and forth. I guess I should get in gear. I was so discouraged after my insurance company denied me (after I lost 27 1bs, to show I'm committed to lifestyle changes) and not caring, going back and forth from gaining the weight back so they would cover me, but feeling very crappy, and deciding to just self pay, that now I'm kind of out of control. I guess I could use some help getting back in control so its not such a rude awakening 9/29. My surgeon said preop diet (no carbs) 1 week prior, so I've kind of given myself license to do whatever. Funny thing is, nothing sounds or tastes good anyway. UGH!!!! Thanks everybody for all the reminders (smaller bites, no drinking w/meals, lots of Water.... etc)

Edited by ambraberger
to write more.

I've been preparing since the seminar. I eat a lot slower now, chew better, try not to drink while eating, no caffiene, no carbination, high Protein, etc. I have been working my butt off this entire time and half lost weight thanks to it. I'll finally finish my supervised diet October 3rd then have paperwork sent into insurance. :shades_smile:

Getting ready.....hmmmm. Well everytime I think of changing how i eat I think "but this is the last time you will be able to eat this way...why not enjoy it" Not to mention I am going to Disney with my family right before I start my 2 week pre op diet. Sooo I am going to blow it for sure that week.

My thoughts are that I will have 2 weeks of Opti fast and then the gradual post op diet to learn all the things I need to learn. Right now I am going to enjoy myself. Don't get me wrong I am not going to blow my brains out and gain weight rather I am just going to coast into this. That said, I have already increased my Water intake and have started an exercise program. It's just the eating thing....imagine that!?!!??

Getting ready.....hmmmm. Well everytime I think of changing how i eat I think "but this is the last time you will be able to eat this way...why not enjoy it" Not to mention I am going to Disney with my family right before I start my 2 week pre op diet. Sooo I am going to blow it for sure that week.

My thoughts are that I will have 2 weeks of Opti fast and then the gradual post op diet to learn all the things I need to learn. Right now I am going to enjoy myself. Don't get me wrong I am not going to blow my brains out and gain weight rather I am just going to coast into this. That said, I have already increased my Water intake and have started an exercise program. It's just the eating thing....imagine that!?!!??

That's kind of what I've been thinking. I stopped soda this week. Will give up caffeine next week, (hard cuz I work nights) and the week after that I start my preop. Also increasing my h2o intake. Good luck and have a blast on your vacation!!!!!

Meh, my sleep study is coming up soon -.- I want all these tests to be over with!

I have pre-started my pre-op diet and am practicing slow eating, lots of chewing, no drinking while eating, the whole shabang.

I figure if I am going to jump in the pool, it might as well be the deep end.

Am now losing weight and loving it. That is making it soooo worth it.

Hi Ladies – Would you be willing to help a Male Old Goat like me get ready for this Lap Band Surgery? I do agree we should be taking (get ready for surgery steps) now. I only have two items left to get on the surgery schedule. Last meeting with the Psychologist & Insurance (got so much wrong) not a problem. Surgeons Nurse said I should be a late November Lap Bander. Nurse also told me to start taking the B – Complex with Thiamine NOW it would help get us ready.

I was told my surgery will be either November 3rd or 10th!! :) Weeee. lol

Im not preparing and I am not required to do a preop diet either. Will do what is required as soon as surgery is done.