Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does anyone smoke pot? what do you think would happen if I did?

i haven't since months before my surgery, but will be seeing some people this weekend for labor day and kind of want to.

i don't want to harm anything. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post - op.

thanks!:biggrin:

does anyone smoke pot? what do you think would happen if I did?

i haven't since months before my surgery, but will be seeing some people this weekend for labor day and kind of want to.

i don't want to harm anything. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post - op.

thanks!:biggrin:

Miss Mouse this is your first post? Don't expect too many responses I would say but I'll BITE with my thoughts.

I was a stoner for years....Y E A R S. I have not embibed in the herbal remedy for some time but my answer would be the same if I did. I would not tempt recovery with an altered state just yet. You're still in the healing stage and the hot smoke may not be the best thing to put into your body. I got the munchies, tempting yourself by putting yourself into a different control ability is another concern. Try this "clean" phase which is what I call it still. I miss the mellow sensation, I do not miss having a "Turbo cough" in the morning or chest burn. I don't miss the second level of thought connection with reality.

Luck to you.

Hello...I personally hate when people tell ya what to do with your body...I am a stoner too n still am! I induldge a lil here n there. It has not harmed me at all. I do get the munchies still but thats when i drink alot of sugar free n good tasting drinks. If I do eat I usually have Jello or sf popsicles stuff that I can have more of but wont do damage. I hardly think that anything would happen! Go for it...induldge a lil...youve come along way! Gotta love the herbs!!! have fun, Debbie:tt1::lol::tt2::lol::Banane20::Banane20::biggrin:

Guest BikiniBeachy

Miss Mouse, definitely be honest with your surgeon, he can't take anything away from you, and get his advice on the subject. Good luck and happy toking if you go for it...

After a few months, I don't see how smoke could effect a bandster any differently.

HOWEVER, I would be very careful about substituting other comfort for the food you used to eat. Especially in this early stage. The lap band is only a physical tool, you need to be aware of your psychological food issues and grow in this process or you will be back at square one.

If you want to smoke (or drink or use prescription drugs) because you are itching to soothe yourself with food, I would not do it. Let yourself feel every step of this process and be open to what comes up.

But if it's just a social one time thing I don't think it's a big deal.

well, i smoke cigs and my doc knows it. i don't think weed could be any worse as long as you watch those munchies

Hello...I personally hate when people tell ya what to do with your body...

I assume that she posted because she WANTED people to tell her their opinion.

Personally I don't think it is the best choice considering you just recently had surgery (after effects of general etc, etc). When you are past the initial "healing" phase, I don't see that it would "harm" a bandster any more than it would "harm" a non-banded person.

I don't smoke it, but if you want to, it's your body.

I think you should probably wait for your body to heal more, IMO. I know some people will say that they smoke cigarettes and are ok, but honestly you are not supposed to do that either while your body is still healing. Also, cigarettes have a filter, when you smoke pot you don't have a filter, so the smoke is stronger and more damaging to your body.

For my pre-surgery psych consult I met with a wonderful psychiatrist who was around 65 years old. She has been banded for 7 years. While we were chatting she asked me if I smoked pot. I told her I used to smoke it alot, now only on occasion. She said "Well there's a lot of us ageing hippies around!" and she said "There's nothing wrong with smoking it after surgery, but just keep in mind that it doesn't really go hand in hand with the lapband, because of the munchies. You just need to be really aware of that if you choose to smoke."

I smoked all through my liquid diet. I think thats how I kept from biting anyone's head off from being so STARVING! I'd have to say, if you think you can control what you eat while you are high, than no problem. I just quit 4 days ago though. So, I mean its up to you. The band will still work if you smoke.

I haven't smoked pot in years and years, gave it up when I had my daughter she's 32 now, no desire to do it now. It's up to you and your doctor. As for cigaretts I quit almost 3 years ago and am very happy I did so. The wouldn't band me if I smoked it's a rule, you have to be 2 months plus off the smokes or they won't do it.

It interferes with the healing process.

I just feel so much better with a clear mind and a body that doesn't smell crappy and no cough and I can walk and not huff and puff.

JMHO folks

Doesn't smoking restrict blood vessles or something like that??? I'm pretty sure that's why they say not to smoke before and after surgery....

I would wait at least a few months before considering it . . . specially if it gives you the munchies and loosens your inhibitions to control yourself.

I'm an aging hippie-era type who does not and never did smoke pot. Well I did once, and it made me feel like my jaw was going to fall off, so that was more fun than I ever wanted to have again.

BUT I do believe in live and let live, to each his own, etc etc.

I like to drink beer and it, carbonated, is a big no no. I will not drink beer until I am healed. Farther out I'll probably try it to see how I do. But for now, no. I won't substitue with wine or hard liquor until doc says I can, (I think it's 3 months but i'll find out for sure) because I want my band to heal properly. I already learned, with my fatty liver and 1st unsuccessful band attempt, that the surgeon with his over 1000 patients and education probably knows more about it than I do.

So since we aren't supposed to smoke, I'd say wait. It may impair your healing. Once your a few months post op and grooving along, go for it if you want to. It's your life; you have to live it.