Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone who said this doesn't hurt=lies!

I had surgery Aug 13th, and now I am in SSOOOo much pain. Now that the gas is subsiding alittle it is getting better. But no one told me how bad that would hurt! I had to fly home the next day and the bariometric pressure almost killed me. I was litterly crawling on the airport floor half the time. It is now the second day and now I have the soreness of the area. My Dr. made all my incisions right below my rib cage. So it feels like this band in in my ribs ubstructing my breathing. I just hope it is worth it. Did you know that I actually was standing up "or strapped upright" during my procedure? I just don't want anyone else to be blind sided when they say it doesn't really hurt that bad. It does, but if you can make it thru the first 48 hours, I think you'll be fine!:thumbup:

my pain lasted almost exactly a week. i felt horrible and relied heavily on the pain meds... mostly my back hurt from trying to protect my stomach muscles. i had to roll out of bed sitting up was not an option. luckily it was over after a week lol i did think more than once what the heck did i do to my self

Hey I agree, can't understand anyone saying it's easy, they are on heavy drugs and or lying. LOL. It's been a week and a day and finally feeling well enough to go to the store today and out shopping for 3 hours, I did need a nap after I got home. Mostly the port area is sore whenever I move. The nurse I saw yesterday said it's because the port is sewn into the muscles. And that can hurt.

Gas pain finally gone, GAS X is the best thing ever.

On Protein but I mix it with my Soups now, changed to soy bases I was allergic to the whey bases and spent most of the first week in the bathroom and feeling nausea all the time. Luckily never threw up.

Today 100% better than last week, and hope this time next week even better.

Welcome

Pati

I had surgery Aug 13th, and now I am in SSOOOo much pain. Now that the gas is subsiding alittle it is getting better. But no one told me how bad that would hurt! I had to fly home the next day and the bariometric pressure almost killed me. I was litterly crawling on the airport floor half the time. It is now the second day and now I have the soreness of the area. My Dr. made all my incisions right below my rib cage. So it feels like this band in in my ribs ubstructing my breathing. I just hope it is worth it. Did you know that I actually was standing up "or strapped upright" during my procedure? I just don't want anyone else to be blind sided when they say it doesn't really hurt that bad. It does, but if you can make it thru the first 48 hours, I think you'll be fine!:sad:

Have you had other surgeries or childbirth before this? I thought it was much easier than previous surgeries. All people experience pain differently. Not having an experience with which to compare it may make it seem worse. HANG IN THERE! Like all surgeries, this gets better with time. :thumbup:

Um see I guess I am different from all of you. I had the surgery and was driving around the next day because I was sooooo bored of sitting in bed. When you eat certain foods that give you gas, it can be VERY painful though. I had gas so bad one time I had to call in sick to work because I couldn't move. These things pass though. I had my surgery 10 1/2 months ago and I have lost 89 pounds. Good luck and keep me posted. I love to see progress :]

It is extremely unfair of you to assume that if we didn't have any pain that we must be on heavy drugs or lying. I did not have any pain at all after surgery except for an occasional pull in the port area incision. I was up walking hours after surgery and never had any gas pains. My DH had the gas pains, but we traveled to Canada two days after surgery and he did just fine. Everyone's experience is different. I certainly have never head of anyone standing up during surgery, but I certainly would never say that it's a lie.

I have to agree with Hollie519. I had surgery and was up and moving immediately. I did have some difficulty sleeping on my stomach for the first couple of weeks, but all else was pretty much back to normal right away. Just another instance of how differently we all react to surgeries/medications/different foods. Karen

Oh, and p.s.. I didn't take anything stronger than ibuprofen. I do recall feeling "pulled" by the port site when I walked for over an hour. Karen

It was less painful for me than the four other abdomincal surgeries I've had but I did have some pain. I'm presuming it was because I had a hiatal hernia repair and had scar tissue removed from my 14" gallbladder scar. Other than my energy being zapped I would've probably been okay.

Karen~

What a great description. I have felt the pulling when I walk. That makes sense, I have had a hard time describing it!

I felt pretty good after surgery, I was up and about and went for a short walk that evening. I was really pretty active and I didn't have much trouble with gas pain - I feel lucky about that, because the last couple of surgeries that has been a real bear!

I think everyone has their own experience and it varies by what your pain threshold is and by how aggressive your surgeon was during the process. I wouldn't change my decision for anything in the world, I want to be healthy and participate in life!

Well I am not lying nor did I take pain pills. I was totally fine afterwards. A little pull by the port that someone mentioned and some discomfort getting in and out of bed in tummy muscles. My surgeon said he tries to suck all the gas back out before he closes you up and must've done a good job. That was 2 mos ago. Fast forward 2 mos. same surgeon and gall bladder surgery now that was more painful. I'm a week out today and still feeling some pain from that. He reused 3 of my incisions and have one new one. I have a deep ache in my right side. Everyone must respond differently.

I can honestly say I did not have pain. A bit of discomfort for two days and that is it. I was back to work two days after surgery and wasn't bothered by it at all. The discomfort was simply gas and gas x took care of it. Everyone's pain tolerance is different and we will all have our own experience. It has been a great experience for me right from the day of surgery and have no regrets at all! :thumbup: No lying here - no pain with my experience. Best of luck to you!

Nope, no liar here either. This was my first surgery ever and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was. I did have some painkiller in my IV overnight (not sure what it was), but I was up and walking the halls within several hours of my surgery. I was moving slowly, I grant you, and I took it easy getting in and out of bed. I had liquid lortab for home and took it for about 5 days. Gas pains - I had 'em. GasX strips pretty much took care of the gastrointestinal gas and the abdominal gas settled into my left shoulder. It was uncomfortable and aggravating, but I never really thought of that as surgical pain. Walking and moving around helped that go away.

I slept in my recliner for the first week because I was afraid of rolling over onto my stomach - didn't know if it would hurt or not, but I didn't want to find out. My recliner is a GREAT place to sleep lol. Been sleeping in bed since Monday (had surgery 8/4) on my stomach with no problems.

Everyone is different, so I think you have to look at each person's experience through that lens. The best we can do is get an idea of what to expect. I'm sorry you've had so much pain, and hope you are feeling much, much better soon!

I didn't take anything beyond panadol (I think in the US it's tylanol or something like that?) And I wasn't in a great deal of pain. Uncomfy? Yep. In pain? No.

Perhaps some people just deal with pain better than others.

Anyone who said this doesn't hurt=lies!

I couldn't help but to laugh my arse off when I saw this title. But I know I won't be laughing in about three weeks!!!!!!!

I'm thinking of you.