Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5K for August...who's in?

Thanks for the link 1000. I was hoping there would be a podcast for this on the site but couldn't find one. I really want to do this (at my own pace). I have to admit I am very nervous about doing this because I have to run in public but I guess I'll just have to suck it up and think about the long run.

I admire that so much! You can be an inspiration to people who see you out there!

:rolleyes:

Week 1/Day 2. For me the difficult part is burning lungs. I quit smoking just this past January after having been a regular pack a day smoker for 25 years. My lung capacity is a lot better now than it was then but clearly I need to work on it some more. I think I may have to do a version of week 1 for a second week before I actually move to week 2.

Count me in too. I am a week behind but at least I'm dioing it. Just finished the first. Now, I feel good, but thought I was going to die!!!! I'm sure I will be repeating the first week at least once. My kids are going to try it too. They are 17 and 11 and maybe the 14 yr old. And on a different note I am on my way to pick up a wiifit!!!! So excited:drool::smile2:

I've been looking for a WiiFit but they're always sold out. Where are you picking yours up?

I just starting following this thread and so I'm going to give the Couch to 5K running program a shot. I've been trying to increase my running/walking time so I could compete in a 5k and now I have a way to do it! Thanks

Just finished round #1, my second Week #1. :smile2: It was great. I'm tired and it hurts, but I feel so proud that I am moving.

Wow - welcome to all the new runners - I've been away a little too long, my how our group is growing! :thumbup:

It looks like everyone is have a good time here - I know I am. And while it can be so hard some days, man oh man do I feel awesome when I push myself to get through the whole workout routine! It's funny, I know what you mean livin about watching the clock thing, it can be easy to think, okay, I've done 17 minutes, what's a few minutes short today? But, I've been counting out my "reps" 8 x 60sec job/90sec walk and that totaly helps me! I know once I get to 4 (which is about when I start to burn) I'm half way done, and if I can just do one more, and one more...wow it gets so easy! Does anyone else find that by the 6th rep their legs start to ease up and not hurt as much like I do? :confused2:

I'm doing week 1 over again for today and tomorrow, and then I'm moving on! I was lookin week two over, and 90 seconds of jogging, 2 minutes of walking is not that much more of a stretch, only 30 more seconds of jogging...easypeasy - plus a bonus 30 seconds of walking to let my legs chill out...I got it! We can all totally do that! :w00t:

Good Luck to everyone today, make it a great workout!

Linds :thumbup:

PS - is anyone else doing other exercises (like the Water arobics)? I'm doing light weight cardio and weight lifting on the days I'm not running. I'm actually finding it easier to do that, compared to the running, and it seems to be helping my fitness improve over all so that the runs are easier too! Let me know...

OK, today was Week 1/Day 3. It was so much better than Days 1 and 2. I walk at 3.2 mph and jog at 5 mph on my treadmill. I felt good doing it today. I'm not so sure I'm ready to move on to week 2 the day after tomorrow so I think I might do a modified version of week 1 and 2, add 10 seconds of running and 10 seconds of walking (70/100) and work my way up to 90/120.

Last night was day 2 of a repeated week #1. I think I'm really nervous about moving on. How bad would it be to repeat week 1 - again??? :smile2: Yikes.

I ended up doing the day's progam twice. Once on the treadmill and once outside.

After I was done on the treadmill I went into DD's room and said, "Okay, your turn." She started to whine and cry that she didn't want to.

I went into a long spiel about how I was just getting fat when I was her age and I chose the path of laziness...which is she going to be? Don't be like me...yada yada. And she just looked at me and said: But the treadmill is boring.

Ooh. Is that all? I said - fine, let's do it outside. So, we did the program, not really by minutes, but by the idea of "run until tired, walk until bored". By the end it was a little race and she beat the crap out of me, passing me all the time!! :lol: But, it made it fun for her, and it was really fun for me, too. I was shy about running outside, but it was dark enough to hide my "jiggle". LOL

I do feel much better when I run, the hardest part about the whole thing is putting on the tennis shoes when I get home.

Dionna113-- Bought my wiifit in Pittsfield Illinois, they had six sitting on the shelf and I got the first one after 6pm on Monday. Never thought to try going west of my town instead of east to the bigger town!!! I initiated everyone and it so far has motivated the kids to play more and exercise. I have yet to use again. :smile2:

I missed the 2nd day/week one last night. DH had a head-to-toe bady rash of unknown origin. Spent 5 1/2 hours driving to er and WAITING. Turned out to be poison ivy:cursing: from his job working in the woods. So, I hoping (after sitting 8 hours in a hospital meeting for work today) that I can run/walk more tonight and play wiifit of course.

Today was modified version of Day 4 of Week 1. I jogged for 70 seconds and walked for 100 seconds. The last jog I jogged for 90 seconds. I think jogging at 5 mph was too fast for me so I slowed it to 4 mph and it made the exercise a lot more doable.

After I've finished the 20 minutes of jogging/walking I usually continue to walk on the treadmill until I hit the 2 mile mark which normally takes me a total of 35-40 minutes including the 20 minutes of jogging/walking on c25k. I'm going to try to walk another 2 miles when I get home tonight. I was told by many who lost weight through exercise that walking for 2 miles wasn't doing it for them but once they increased it to 4 to 5 miles a day the weight started to really come off.

Edited by Dionna113

I did my exercise 5 on week 1. I have increased my walking speed to 3 mph and my run to 4.5 mph. I have a feeling that I will be on week 1 forever... so far I don't see much reason to move on to week 2 until after my surgery in a week and a half.

I actually really am liking the workout I am getting. I am staying on the treadmill until my heartrate drops under 65 percent, which usually keeps me on for another 10 to 15 minutes. But, I do not ached after the workout or the next day.

Good luck everyone.

Krsi

I came home and walked the 2 miles on the treadmill 3.3 mph working up to 5 degree incline. I had to talk myself into it because I had talked myself out of it on the drive home from work. I'm so glad I did it because I feel fantastic!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Hope it's not too late to join. I have completed week 1 and now feel ready for week 2. I am doing Robert Ullrey's Podcast program and I really like it. I need sometone to tell me...run now..walk now.. as the other program with the tones I get all mixed up. I am signed up for the Royal Victoria Marathon 8K October 12th. I did the 8K a month prior to my lap band surgery last year at over 300 pounds and it was a real physical and emotional victory to me to finish it!! I hope to run part of the 8K this year and maybe run the full 8k by next year. It has been one of my long term goals. I'm looking forward to this challenge with all of you Runners!!:)

Barb