Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Little Short on the 40 BMI?

I am looking at getting banded pretty soon and have done much, much research on the subject. All of what I have read basically states you must have a BMI of 40, if not 40, then there must be some type of medical necessity.

I am a 30 yr old with a BMI of about 36, no medical problems, no depression and I will mostly likely be self-pay. I guess, I am just a healthy, happy fat person.

Any chances I will be allowed to have the surgery? Have or did any of you experience this?

The running joke is to shove rolls of quarters in your underwear! The FDA requires that you be at least 100 pounds overweight or have a BMI over 40, unless you have other weight related problems. However, there are no such standards in Mexico, which is why a lot of people go there. Some people have (and this is so sad) even tried gaining extra weight, but maybe a decent doctor will fudge the numbers????

Yes, isn't that sad. I have daydreamed about how to weigh more that day. I even asked my husband about borrowing his bullet proof vest, that thing weighs a ton. There is no chance I would go to Mexico. I am looking at having mine with Dr. Spivak in Houston, Texas. Thanks for the info though.....

Mexico will do your surgery no matter what your BMI is, this is why many with low BMI's who are self payers go to Mexico, I beleive Princess_nthe_p was a low BMI and went to Mexico,More power to you if you are a self pay and getting it done in the US. Unfortunately the price difference for me going to Mexico or staying in the U.S was 1/3 of the price. I had a BMI over 40 and I could not get it covered by my insurance, I had NO co-moprbitities, I too was a healthy OBESE person, imagine that! Now Iam a healthier OVERWEIGHT person..

I had a BMI of 39 and was panicked about it! My doc said to him "39 is 40", but I was sure my insurance co would not pay---hence, I ate like crazy to get over the 40 mark--sick, eh? Gained weight to lose it.....doc did not know I did this and would not endorse, of course!

I was over 40 when I had my surgery, but all my records show me at 39, so my insurance co didn't balk about that. I had no co-morbids.

I also gained weight to get the band I was like 39.5 ate my way to 42 I know however I wouldn't be at 39 long so I needed the help I am unfortuately a yo-yo dieter could lose 60 gain 80 thats why I am getting the band pray it works.

It really depends on how your doc feels about it. I know that there are some VERY reputable and ethical surgeons out there that will play the "BMI game" to get you where you need to be. Of course the line has to be drawn somewhere. To me that line is that you are doing this for MEDICAL reasons and not just for COSMETIC reasons.

Good luck...and for the record..I was a low BMI. And I had a fantastic US surgeon and was paid in full my ins.

GOOD LUCK!

I was at 38, had a touch of high cholesterol and the cash......twas no problem not being 40. Also, my doctor is great and very conscientious and my insurance doesn't cover any kind of wls.

If your doctor feels you are a good candidate for banding, then a case can be made on the medical necessity. I heard a doctor say recently that if you look deeply enough into the medical profile of a severely obese person--even a very healthy one--you can find co-morbidities.

In addition, there are LOTS of US doctors who will band patients with a BMI of just 35 or more. The insurance companies are the problem, they might not pay for it. But if you're a self-pay you shouldn't have trouble finding the surgeon.

Do some research on the internet---I've neard of some studies being done for those with a BMI under 40 and they are looking for subjects (YOU). If I can find anything, I'll let you know.

the N.E.W Program of Orange County (www.weightcontrolsurgery.com or 949-722-7662) has a Low BMI (between 30-35) study for the Lap-BandAE.
WOW! Thanks for the great link - I filled out the questionnaire and have my fingers and toes crossed! banana.gif

There is also a low BMI study coordinated by Dory Feraro - www.Longislandbariatrics.com. She's the medical director there & the surgical coordinator for a few doctors & this study I think is in NYC or Westchester. (516) 579-0094. I think it's $12,000 total. She works w/very good doctors.

I use her for aftercare here. I myself was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world. I think the care I got there was far better than I've gotten in US hospitals. Having survived breast cancer & double mastectomy, that's saying a lot.

I am part of that low BMI clinical study that Dory Ferraro is running through Columbia University in NYC. I was banded in March at Lawrence Hospital in Bronxville, NY.. Columbia, along with Dory and the Surgeon, Dr. Dan Davis are set up with Lawrence Hospital because Lawrence is willing to charge a lower fee for the surgery than Columbia would be able to offer. I paid 12,000, that included everything and three months after care. You have to go back every month for a year for check-ups as part of the study. I can't say enough about Dory Ferraro and Dr. Davis, they were great. The hospital and staff were great,too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.