Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whey Protein instead of Optifast 800 for PreOp Diet?

I was approved Friday and they called today to schedule my surgery for August 20th! I'm happy and scared. Anyway, I have to begin my preop surgery on Wed so I don't have time to order the Optifast. The person who called to schedule the surgery said I could replace with whey Protein. So, I'm assuming one serving on Whey P is the same as one serving of Optifast? Did anyone else do this?

We went out tonight and bought a chocolate, vanilla and strawberry powder. DH is even being supportive enough to do the preop diet with me!

I don't know what the nutritional equivalent is, but I know that I'm supposed to get 50-60g Protein and only 25-30 g carbs. I would imagine that most folks are similar...but I'm sure you'll see more replies as the day goes on. Congrats on the date!

I found the Protein shakes really made the pre-diet doable. They can be tasty and really keep you hunger free. My clinic sells a brand called Metagenics which is only available through medical professionals, at least here in Canada. The other one I find OK is Designer Whey which I get at a health food store.

I add a little yogurt to mine, some ice, Water and blend with the magic bullet. :) I like chocolate :) . There are also sugar free syrups (like starbucks uses) in many flavours that can be added to a shake. They offer no nutritional value, just make it easier to swallow. The "DaVinci" brand can be ordered on-line (DaVinci Gourmet ? Flavored Syrups, sauces And Tea Concentrates) and is made with Splenda.

You can do it, take care! Kim

Sometimes I'm glad there isn't a whole lot of different choices to be made here in Australia!! :cry_smile:

My doctor said to use the whey Protein shakes as well, however, before surgery I have to make them with Water and not milk. No dairy allowed during the two week pre op diet.

Last night I bought chocolate, strawberry and mixed berry from GNC. I tried the strawberry powder mixed with Water. I wasn't to thrilled with it. I'm wondering if it will taste better with milk. I'll try the chocolate today.

After having tried about 30 different varieties of Protein powders and drinks, my absolute fave is the fruit punch bullets by New Whey. I have the 42 g ones and just dump them into my crystal light. Now, granted, 42 g is too much to absorb at once, so I only put half in one glass and the other half in a later glass. Don't EVER try to drink the bullet straight though. It is very medicine tasting, like cherry nyquil :wink_smile:

I have a real problem with the Protein smell and that tell-tale flavor in the shakes and powders, but I haven't had a lick of trouble with the bullets.

Last night I bought chocolate, strawberry and mixed berry from GNC. I tried the strawberry powder mixed with Water. I wasn't to thrilled with it. I'm wondering if it will taste better with milk. I'll try the chocolate today.

O.k. I tried the strawberry 100% Whey Protein powder with milk this morning at Breakfast. It tasted much better compared to mixing it with Water. The taste reminded me of Nestle Quick strawberry milk mix. It wasn't my favorite but it is certainly doable. However I will have to wait until after I am banded. I am not allowed to have any dairy during my two week pre op diet.

So its 9 pm, end of day one on preop diet. It wasn't too bad but I will admit I'm hungry! At least I should be greatful I get to mix my Whey protien with skim milk and I got to have dinner (4 oz lean meat (chicken) and 1/2 c cooked veggies (broccoli/califlower)) That was at 6 though and I don't get anything else today. I need to go to bed early so I can forget I'm so hungry. Luckily my DH is supporting me in this and following the diet with me. Now thats love.

Oh, and I did get to have a sugarfree Jello.

Wonder why others can't have dairy?

I agree...the colder the Water the better the taste. I'm thinking about making mine the night before and leaving it sit over night in the frig.

I just worry about how thick it will get over night if I make it up the night before, let me know if you try it!

I agree...the colder the Water the better the taste. I'm thinking about making mine the night before and leaving it sit over night in the frig.

Mix it in the blender with ice it will be like a smoothie

Thank God I found this thread. Im going to have my surgery done by Dr. Veninga and he says that I need to use Optifast for 2 weeks preop. My problem: I can't find the damn thing anywhere. Any help??

Thanx Bunches