Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I lost my band...

hi

Ive had my band for 3 years and I have had huge amounts of trouble with it.It is completely empty...have been for so long I cant remember how long exactly.I still have daily pain and discomfort but nothing else....

What I'm trying to say is I know how it feels to be totally at a loss for what to do next.

However....after gaining 70 pounds I have found the ANSWER.

It is actually a way of eating that allows me 2000 calories per day and it is not low carbing.It does cut all the white stuff but it is not really restrictive at all.The food is so tasty.It is different from anything I have done before and I have been on it now for 3 weeks and have lost 15 pounds which is fabulous...I AM ACTUALLY EATING 5 TIMES A DAY.I am enjoying eating and love not starving,counting,worrying.I FEEL FREE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE.It is as if being desperate enough now made me go normal...Eating like this have caused quite a lot of anxiety for the first 2 weeks but now I am at peace.I WILL GET THIN NOW...

PM me if you want the books name.I dont know if I am allowed to name a book here.I know I am raving but I feel as if my life has been saved.

There is life after the band.I now still have to have my band out and am also selfpay.Could have bought clothes if I found this eating plan years ago.Anyhow,no more money spend on diets or operation.Just sensible enough food and some nice stuff too if I want it...

Well, here I am 2 months later without my band. I have gained back about 15 pounds from my lowest weight, but I think I've finally got that under control. As scared as I was to gain the weight back, as soon as my appetite came back after surgery, it was like a free for all. But then I realized that wouldn't work either, so I've been dilligent with WW, and now my weight has stabilized.

Also, I just started exercising in the last two weeks, and I think that is helping. I doubt I'll every be "skinny", but I think I might be able to avoid another surgery. I don't know for sure, though. I meet with the surgeon next week to talk about it (his idea), so we'll see. I've been eyeing the VSG, but it SO permanent! While I didn't have the greatest experience with the band, I'm just glad it could be removed and the problem was fixed.

Anyhow, thanks to all that have commisterated with me!

I know it is easy for me to say but whatever you do whatever it takes just keep the weight off that you successfully have off already. Don't fall back into your eating habits you had before. And continue to look into other ways to help you. I am so sorry this happened to you just pray about and I am sure something good will come your way.

Cheryl

I had the Johnson and Johnson Realize band. Bad use of my $ as far as I'm concerned.

I asked my surgeon about the realize band and he said that there is more chance of erosion with the older band and the realize band because it is one chamber (where as the newer bands have several "compartments") and when it gets filled it tends to crease in certain spots causing uneven pressure on the stomach which in turn can cause erosion.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, Carol. *hugs* and I hope things work out for you in the end. Try and be positive. I know it's easier said than done but being depressed won't help you lose weight. If you want to keep that 50 lbs off you need to do something proactive.

Lots of luck!

I asked my surgeon about the realize band and he said that there is more chance of erosion with the older band and the realize band because it is one chamber (where as the newer bands have several "compartments") and when it gets filled it tends to crease in certain spots causing uneven pressure on the stomach which in turn can cause erosion.

I'm so sorry this happened to you' date=' Carol. *hugs* and I hope things work out for you in the end. Try and be positive. I know it's easier said than done but being depressed won't help you lose weight. If you want to keep that 50 lbs off you need to do something proactive.

Lots of luck![/quote']

That is what Realize is claiming but it's basically sales pitch and theory at this point. They have no large long term studies to back that up. They also claim with their band you get full faster and stay full longer. They have yet to prove that claim either.

Whenever ANY new device comes on the market their marketing dept has to come up with reasons why their product is superior to any others. It's how business works. In 10 years or so we'll know if Realize is truly better than the others.

hi

Ive had my band for 3 years and I have had huge amounts of trouble with it.It is completely empty...have been for so long I cant remember how long exactly.I still have daily pain and discomfort but nothing else....

What I'm trying to say is I know how it feels to be totally at a loss for what to do next.

However....after gaining 70 pounds I have found the ANSWER.

It is actually a way of eating that allows me 2000 calories per day and it is not low carbing.It does cut all the white stuff but it is not really restrictive at all.The food is so tasty.It is different from anything I have done before and I have been on it now for 3 weeks and have lost 15 pounds which is fabulous...I AM ACTUALLY EATING 5 TIMES A DAY.I am enjoying eating and love not starving,counting,worrying.I FEEL FREE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE.It is as if being desperate enough now made me go normal...Eating like this have caused quite a lot of anxiety for the first 2 weeks but now I am at peace.I WILL GET THIN NOW...

PM me if you want the books name.I dont know if I am allowed to name a book here.I know I am raving but I feel as if my life has been saved.

There is life after the band.I now still have to have my band out and am also selfpay.Could have bought clothes if I found this eating plan years ago.Anyhow,no more money spend on diets or operation.Just sensible enough food and some nice stuff too if I want it...

There is no problem with telling us the name of the book out on the forum. I have read a lot of other threads that named names of books.< /p>

So what is it? It sounds interesting! I'm glad you are at peace with losing your band and I hope everyone else who has suffered reaches that place!

Update: I can't keep the weight off on my own. I'm having a VSG on 12/29/2008. Wish me luck!

Cheers,

~Katherine

My surgeon was talking about the realize band at our last support group. He mentioned that he prefers the allergan band because it is third generation and they seem to have worked whatever kinks out, and that the realize manufacturers are already working on the second generation band due to some obvious potential complications...This is the same band that just got approved and they are already re-doing it! In fact, they are re-working it to make it look much like the lapband. Go figure.

My surgeon was talking about the realize band at our last support group. He mentioned that he prefers the allergan band because it is third generation and they seem to have worked whatever kinks out, and that the realize manufacturers are already working on the second generation band due to some obvious potential complications...This is the same band that just got approved and they are already re-doing it! In fact, they are re-working it to make it look much like the lapband. Go figure.

I remember when J&J was claiming that with their band you get full faster, stay full longer, and weight loss was better than that of the Allergan band. Thing is, they didn't have any large long term studies to back up that claim. That's when I stopped being impressed with them.

It's good that Allergan has competition, that's never a bad thing I just wish they had better competition.

Hi, I am losing my band next week due to erosion. How are you doing now that it has been a few months. I am having a really hard time emotionally with this. I am scared to gain the weight back.

Jeanette

I am so sorry for your losing your band. I too am getting mine removed on 2-2-09 due to erosion, 1 year after having it in. I was never sick or threw up but DR kept putting fills in and nothing was happening. I have been angry and a chocolate mess since hearing. I did start weight watchers two weeks ago. You know it is what I did before the band and now I have to go back to it. At least my insurance paid for the initial banding.

Life has thrown you some nasty curves, but things have got to get better.

My heart goes out to you.

Jeanette

A few weeks ago, I developed pain in my lower abd. with fever etc... I ended up in emerg., had a bunch of tests done, ct scan, xray, blood work etc... I started to improve after a day or so of iv antibiotics. The MD said that my I band was infected, that the ct scan showed pockets of Fluid in the abdomen, along the tubing etc... So, he said that if I had another episode, to see him in emerg , he recommended that I have it removed.

I was devestated, thinking that I would lose my band. I am pretty much at goal weight, and almost at my 1 yr bandiversary.

I feel fine now, normal really. I had a complete unfill and am waiting to see another surgeon for a second opinion. I am self-pay, Mexico and very few Dr.s know anything about the band here.

I would appreciate any advice anyone out there can give me. Like, is it imperative that I have it taken out? Has anyone out there had an episode like this and NOT had to have the band removed?

I know that I am grasping here, but I really do love my band!

Thanks!