Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:party: Hi everyone. This is my first post, and I am hoping for some guidance. I was banded on 7/7/08 and have been incredibly depressed ever since. My surgeon says that surgery went well, but I have had alllergic reactions to ALL of the pain meds prescribed, so have taken only tylenol. Beyond that, I just feel uncomfortable in my own body. I am not hungry, but I am having an awful time with the idea that I can't eat. I am craving healthy foods, but am still restricted to liquids for another 10 days and I hate every kind of protien shake/drink I have tried. I know this is emotional and, though I expected it, I am just so unhappy. Any advice??

I couldn't stand most Protein Shakes to. But there are other things you can use instead. I used carnation instant Breakfast 5 Protein but when you add milk you add more protein. I found 1% chocolate milk with 17 protein and only 210 calories. GNC has Protein Shots with 42 protein. I usually split them in half and just put them in any juice. I found that I always want what I can't have it's a mind game. Right now you are in a transition period and you need to give your body and mind a chance to get used to the new way of life.

Hi Eyrica,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling this way but I want to tell you, you are not alone. Although I don't have the allergies that you do I have had the same feelings that you have. I was banded on the 2nd and in the days since I have thought to myself "what did I do?" It has been a huge adjustment that (a week and a half later) I am still trying to get used to. I just want to be able to eat something not just drink Soup and gross protien shakes. I want to be able to chew lol. It is getting better though and I am sure in time you will feel better as well. Just hang in there and let me know if you need anything.

Good Morning-Hang in there. I was banded on 9/21/07 and fortunately haven't had any of those feelings, except once when I was still recovering in bed and saw a subway commercial of all things!

You are at the absolute hardest part of the journey and you will soon be back to eating solid foods.

As far as the Protein drinks go...have you tried making your own with the powder? I use GNC whey Protein Powder in vanilla flavor, mix it with about a cup or so of nonfat milk, costco frozen strawberries (about 5) and a banana. I blend it in a blender and honestly can't taste any Protein. There isn't a texture to it either, so it just takes like a strawberry banana milkshake. I have to say that I have tried other fruits with it and I don't like it...so you might want to give it a shot if you like strawberries and banana.

Good luck and hang in there...it will get better!

hi, that is normal what you feel as some people feel the same. It will get better as the days go by and definately the advise of the other banster about Protein Shots, carnation instant breakfast etc will be a big help. Also, slim fast sells a low carb, hi Protein Shake. So far, I've only found it in Rite Aid. All the best to you.

Regards,

Alfie

Hi there - I was banded the same day as you. Although I havent had allergies either I have found that I dont need the pain meds anymore. Yesterday I was down to one and that was after I did too much around my house. I completely know how you feel about the eating because up until 5 days post op I was ok with not having real food because honestly I knew it would hurt. But now that I am 6 days post op I want EVEYYTHING! I am so sick of Soup and shakes I cant even stand it and really until yesterday I felt like I was ok.

I am already planning on discussing this issue with my doctor on tuesday and I am going to beg for mushies. I dont know if I can go another 7 days like this.

So you are not alone and I know this is a big adjustment. Hang in there! These are the stages where the support becomes very important!

I was banded n 07/01 and I can honestly tell you I felt the same way in the beginning. The first week or so was the worst. I cried all the time and felt depressed and I never feel depressed... I am feeling much better now, more like my old self. I am on the mushy stage and it is still hard and I find myself mourning food, but it isn't like the clear stage at all. I think those feelngs came from a combination of getting the anesthesia out of my body, pain medication and the fact that I just had major surgery. This too will pass...

Of course, if you continue to still feel that way, give your doc a call they may have ideas to help. I called mine and they had me up my Protein and calories and voila I felt better..

i dont' know if this helps but i can't stand the Protein powders, but i have found that if i blend with a tbls of peanut buttter in with it, the pb completely covers the protein taste. Just make sure your on full liquids approved by your doc. keep strong!!

Let me just tell you that you are not alone, but it does get better. More than anything, this is a mental adjustment. I still get those feelings about not being able to eat what everyone else can. You have to take it one step at a time. Do you have a support group you can go to? Get on the chat here. This website has been my saving grace. You can do this!

:party: Hi everyone. This is my first post, and I am hoping for some guidance. I was banded on 7/7/08 and have been incredibly depressed ever since. My surgeon says that surgery went well, but I have had alllergic reactions to ALL of the pain meds prescribed, so have taken only tylenol. Beyond that, I just feel uncomfortable in my own body. I am not hungry, but I am having an awful time with the idea that I can't eat. I am craving healthy foods, but am still restricted to liquids for another 10 days and I hate every kind of protien shake/drink I have tried. I know this is emotional and, though I expected it, I am just so unhappy. Any advice??

I was also banded on 7/7/08 at NYU. I noticed you are in Conn. I live in upper Westchester. This week has been an emotional rollercoaster for me,too. I am also having a hard time with the "idea" that I can't eat even though I haven't had anything solid for three weeks. ( Especially when my husband cooks blueberry pancakes for the kids this morning.) I think, for me the emotions are coming from the fact that food has always been there for me and it just is not now. No matter what, it is not:confused2: so those feelings are there and I have to deal with them some other way. I am still too sore to go shopping and really can't afford to anyway. I feel like what we are going through is normal and others have found a way, so we will,too. You said that you expected to feel depressed. I ahve a history with depression, too. Losing the weight and finding a healthier way to live is my hope. My prozc and possitive thoughts and affirmations help,too. Feel free to PM me. I know just what you are going through! It will get better. Have faith. Barb

when i had my knee surgery i had same problem i was depreesed.for alomg time,i couldnt understand why,still dont.now almost yr later im better,i just felt weird after cant explain why tho

Hi.

I was also banded on 7/7/08. As soon as i starting coming out of anesthesia I was thinking..."what did I do?" "what was I thinking?". On Tuesday and Wednesday I spent most of the day (at home already) off and on crying thinking these things over and over. I know it's the thought of not being able to eat (actual) food right now, being on this liquid diet for 2 weeks already. For some reason...All I can think of is Doritos. I keep thinking of I can just get one, chew it up til it is reeeaaallll blended in my mouth that at least I can get that taste out of my head. It has been 6 days and I want some food of chewable consistency in my mouth. What could go wrong if I chew it up into real small pieces in my mouth? Does anyone know..? The bad depression lasted a couple of days. I'm a bit out of that mode right now. I hope it get's better. Thanks for letting me vent.

its tottaly normal to feel depressed during the first stage!!

i know i was! my whole family noticed, and my mom was nervous...

but look on the bright side, the WILL come when your able to eat!! just remember, it WILL happen... just be patient :party:

and sry about your reactions to the medicine... hope u feel better!

Unhappy, I have the same fears you do--

thanks to all those reposnded and provided some positive feedback.

I am # 1 patient for my surgeon tomorrow- He has a proctor coming from Tampa. the other patient didn't want to go first-- I am always good to be the guinea pig.

PS I am glad this has Spell check!!:unsure:

i was unhappy to when i had knee surgery was so screy being overweight having both done,look at it this way you lose you woont have to have yr knees relaced.i was so depressed after.so i firgure if bcbs approves me this week ill never have to have the kness redone,so cheer up plus you will live longer to.hope u feel better