Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much is too much Protein

Im up to 100 grams a more a day, its not by choice, but its keeping me slimmer, and I drink Water like mad. I was talking with a lady who just recoverd from cancer, she only has one kidney now, and she says that her doctor tells her to watch how much Protein she consumes, well, she said the reason for that is the kidneys can start to fail with too much protein. But, I think the key is to flush it out. Is this true in our case? Even though the majority of us do have both kidneys, do we have to watch how much we consume, or does it really matter how much we have? And I am talking about good Proteins. Need to know, very interesting subject.

I meet with my dietitian once a month.. I went last week and had logged some days with 110 or so Protein and she said everything looked great!

I would be interested to know if there is a cut off as well.

I have heard that too much Protein can decrease bone density. Also, it is recommended that people consume 0.75 g protein per kg of weight. When I did the conversion math I rounded this to roughly 1/3 of body weight in pounds. This means that if I weighed 240 lbs., I would want to consume about 80 g of protein. This is for all people, not specific to losing weight or a reduced calorie diet. I believe it would take long term extra protein to really do damage but talk to your dietitian. Good topic!

I have heard that too much Protein can decrease bone density. Also, it is recommended that people consume 0.75 g Protein per kg of weight. When I did the conversion math I rounded this to roughly 1/3 of body weight in pounds. This means that if I weighed 240 lbs., I would want to consume about 80 g of protein. This is for all people, not specific to losing weight or a reduced calorie diet. I believe it would take long term extra protein to really do damage but talk to your dietitian. Good topic!

I am not too far off my protein mark then using that calculation.

Thanks.

I am frustrated by this question too. I had my nutritional consultation last week and asked her how much Protein a day should I eat. Her answer was very vague. She said she eats a lot! For that answer I had to pay $100.

100 grams a day is getting into the danger zone. At that rate, the amount of Calcium extreted by your body will just about have doubled and you're risking your kidneys and bone health.

There is no reason why you need that much Protein.

A diet that high in Protein DOES help some people shed weight fast but its not necessarily healthy for your body overall.

Now I'll get caned, lol. But really 100 grams plus is a bit much for the average female.

That calculation by the way should be per kg of IDEAL body weight, not obese body weight. All that extra fat is not particularly metabolically active and no matter what you do, you will not keep the levels of muscle you have currently for carrying your heavy body around. You will lose some muscle tissue and that's normal, but you want to minimise that.

Edited by Jachut

Hi,

When I met with dietician pre-op, she had a formula kg per Protein and it came out to be 130gms a day min. She gave me a sheet to use for my weight loss. She said it is very important to get a minimum, so depending on where you are weight wise is how much. I'll look at my sheet to tell you exactly, it is at home. Good luck. I haven't had any problems getting enough, with the Protein drinks I have they have 23- 50gms and deping on how much Water I mix with them. I'm 2 weeks post op and feel really good.

Redhead

Well I know that this week alone, I started amping up my Protein, and Ive already dropped the weight I had gained, as well as an extra 2 lbs. I believe a lot of it was Water, but, none the less good riddens. This weekend Im going to go and get some calcium chews, and just take those everyday with my Multivitamin. I was reading online about it and it said for a person weighing in at 160 needs to consume, 56grams a day, so, what about a person weighing in at 300lbs?? We need the extra protein. I just worry about it too much I think. Im seeing my nutritionist soon so, I will ask her.

Hi

It seems like on the sheet my dietcian game me 300lbs is minimum of 134gms of Protein a day, I know you have to make sure you drink Water to flush out. I don't know who to believe. I asked DR. about that much with kidneys and he said his pts have had no problems. I guess would depend on if you have kidney problems. I just ate my first few bites of green Beans for lunch. WOOOWEEE.

Red

100 Grams is not too much IF YOUR EXERCISING. Exercising is the key, especially if your trying to build up a little strength. I will be at 120 Grams when I begin my weight training.