Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rachel Ray is an idiot

It's all good. I never said she wasn't cute. She can play on my team anyday.

I just never thought she was gay. Is all. No hurt feelings here.

Me either. But maybe gaydar doesn't work through the television.

Paula Deen's nasal voice drives me bats and her using Ya'll every other sentence.

She hasn't a clue about healthy food, and that's a shame.

I think she's cute, but I am sure she is responsible for more than one heart attack.

Once I saw an interview with Paula and the interviewer asked "Do you think there is a way to create your recipes with less fat?"

to which Paula replies "I guess you could...but why'd you want to?"

I love Paula Deen. I was born and raised in the south and her "accent" is spot on, not fake at all. She reminds me of quite a few people I know and sounds just like the people from my home town.

As for her recipes, she cooks classic southern comfort food which ain't low in fat or calories. That's the niche food Network was looking to corner when they picked her. They have other shows dedicated to health-conscious cooking.

I have made many of her recipes and have even created my own lower fat/calorie versions on some of them. But mostly I make her recipes when I'm cooking for a special occassion. And many of her recipes are ones I already had in my file from local traditional southern cookbooks.

As for RR, I love and hate her all at the same time. The raspy voice annoys me and all the silly special terms she makes up and uses drive me nuts. But I like a lot of her recipes and enjoy her creative ideas for meals.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Paula was raised in the town (here in Georgia) where I currently live and later moved to Savannah after her boys were older. I have lived in the deep south all of my life. No one here speaks with that deep of an accent. I know people that are friends of hers as well as her old classmates, not one of them speaks as she does either. It may be a South Carolina accent (which she has adapted), but it's not south Georgia. It it is still put on to me - I can accentuate my own southern accent and sound just like her if I chose to.

Paula was raised in the town (here in Georgia) where I currently live and later moved to Savannah after her boys were older. I have lived in the deep south all of my life. No one here speaks with that deep of an accent. I know people that are friends of hers as well as her old classmates, not one of them speaks as she does either. It may be a South Carolina accent (which she has adapted), but it's not south Georgia. It it is still put on to me - I can accentuate my own southern accent and sound just like her if I chose to.

Her own family has admitted that she all the sudden picked that accent up. Oh, funniest thing I saw on her show was when Bobby Flay was on there and made fun of her about her fake accent. I forgot what he exaclty said but the crwod just went silent when he did.:thumbup:

Well, Paula can bring her fake accent right on over to SC and she would fit right in! I never even thought twice about her accent being real or fake because she does sound like a lot of people I know. :thumbup:

Speaking of "Southern" accents, did anybody see the blond headed girl from Georgia on America's Got Talent last night??? Was that accent real or fake? It sounded put on to me. She's the one who sang "These Boots Are Made for Walking."

I'll jump onPaula Dean, anytime I watched her show I felt my arteries clogging. It's not about being healthy, cooking shows don't have to be healthy, not everyone eats healthy. But my god, I never knew you could put mayo in everything & deep fry it.

RR, I never watched her talk show, I watched 30 minute meals or something she has every once in a while. The ones I watch are always red-sauced base (which I hate) so I never watch for the recipes, but I know she always offers healthy alternatives .. I like her little anticdotes she talks about, and when she talks about her dad it cracks me up.. anyway..

Oprah.. don't like, she always looks annoyed with people on her show, which is rude!

I love Paula and think she's great, love to have her as a relative! No one says you have to eat that way everyday but the food Network would be a very boring place if there were only "healthy" food on their shows, I don't think they'd exist anymore. I certainly wouldn't watch it, lol!

I don't know about her accent and never questioned it. I don't know any people from her area (Albany, GA?) but I do know and am related to quite a few from SC and I also know when I'm down south it's easy to pick up an accent and I've always loved southern accents. Now I live up north and personally am not too keen on certain northeastern accents, I think it's just a personal thing and what we're used to. I'm from MD and never thought I had an accent until I moved up here!

Paula keep cooking the way you do, I can live vicariously through it!

Tyler florence is another good one and he's from Greenville, SC from what I remember.

Nanook.

I don't know about her accent and never questioned it.quote]

I live in east Texas, and that's the accent that people around here have. A linguistics professor at the local college (A&M satellite) published a story in the paper about how linguistically, the east Texas accent is linked to a Georgia accent. Seems that's where a lot of settlers came from. Interesting, if you speak with a super-twangy accent like me.

I don't know about her accent and never questioned it.quote]

I live in east Texas, and that's the accent that people around here have. A linguistics professor at the local college (A&M satellite) published a story in the paper about how linguistically, the east Texas accent is linked to a Georgia accent. Seems that's where a lot of settlers came from. Interesting, if you speak with a super-twangy accent like me.

Who knew! I live in the Atlanta area and don't hear what I call "drippy southern" accents around here but then again, Atlanta has many "yankees"!!! :lol: (BTW I am southern and use both terms with tongue in cheek so don't yell at me!)

Now that I think about it, what's the whole SC thing anyway, if she lives in Savannah, that's still Georgia from what I remember in geography class! LOL. Maybe people are confusing Savannah and Charleston.

My daughter is a linguistics major and getting her masters in it as well. She thinks I speak like a "hick", this is what happens when you move up north, your children turn into snobs!!!:o

It's funny. Paula Dean trys to speak with a southern accent and I try my best to control mine. It's not that I am embarrassed of the south, I'm not. It's that when you have a deep accent people assume your unintelligent. My partner has a PhD in bio chemistry and a southern accent. When we travel and people hear her talk they assume she is stupid.

The problem is since I do not have a prominent southern accent (unless I am angry) I tend to speak faster and people, especially older people tell me to slow down they can't understand me. I forget to add those extra syllables in my words. I can't speak southern anymore.

Ready,

Now we know there's a new group to hate "people with accents" it's all relative of course but it's the unspoken prejudice or is it spoken? Now I'm confusing myself. I think when I hear southern accents it's a good feeling because I think of vacations because we always went to the east coast southern beaches for vacation every year, mainly NC. I also miss the south because I live up north so it's refreshing to hear them. A lot of people take pride in keeping their accents when they move to a different area of the States because it's a part of their identity. I say be proud and keep your accents!:thumbup: Nanook