Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Butterflies Master Thread

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Today is my first day on full liquids. One cup of Soup and I was full! Weird feeling, but I guess we'll get used to it. Can't wait until 8/4 when I can start mushies.

Question, does anyone salivate alot when they eat/drink? It's something new to me.

I'm interested in what you're saying about saliva - I'm having surgery this Thursday. I understanding about the PB (productive burp_ but I've also read about people "sliming" - it sounds disgusting. Does anyone know what this is about? thanks - good luck to all this week's butterflies.

I had mine at University General on Fannin. There is another girl on the July thread that had surgery in the same hospital and was probably on the same floor. Well, we can follow each other's progress online. I gained six pounds... I guess from the Fluid in surgery. I have lost that and now it is a slow go. I am staying around 700 calories.....some Protein Shakes and some pureed food. I just need to stay off the scale and weigh once a week. I have started walking and hope that will help.

I am a bit frustrated and puzzled about my weight loss. I lost 9 lbs in the first 3 days after surgery then another lb 4 days later for a total of 10 lbs in the first week. I haven't lost a single lb since then and I don't understand why I haven't lost since I'm sure my calories are between 800-1000 per day. Some days I think I only manage 500. Anyone have any ideas about my weight loss pattern?

I am a bit frustrated and puzzled about my weight loss. I lost 9 lbs in the first 3 days after surgery then another lb 4 days later for a total of 10 lbs in the first week. I haven't lost a single lb since then and I don't understand why I haven't lost since I'm sure my calories are between 800-1000 per day. Some days I think I only manage 500. Anyone have any ideas about my weight loss pattern?

Well, I lost that six in Fluid, now I have only lost three. I started walking and I am staying around 700 calories. Last night I scrambled a half cup of eggbeaters and put them in the Majic Bullet with a teaspoon of light mayo.....it was yum. I figure it was about 100calories. Also I put 3ounces of lime yogurt in a scoop of vanilla Protein with ice and water....it was yum too compared to the regular shake. Just keep doing what you are doing....your body has not yet adjusted. Your body may have gone into starvation mode and is hanging on to what is going in it. Hang it there! Don't weigh for a few days. You know the ole saying" A watched pot doesn't boil".:lol:

I agree with Dionna. Our bodies are adjusting. Try not to be tied to the scale. Other changes are taking place too. The thing to remember is that with the band one is expected to loose only 1 -2 lbs a week, average. Some weeks you'll loose, some you won't. Just stick with you food and exercise plan and it will come off.

Melanie, the saliva isn't bad it's just more noticeable now. It's definitely not the sliming and PB that one gets if they eat too much or too fast.

Ok, first, have a WONDERFUL time on your vacation. I am sooooo jealous! I spent mine working summer school (to pay my 2500 co pay) and now recuperating :) And school starts back here Aug 4th.:angry:

I have been on mushies since day 8. I only eat 1/4 to 1/2 c per sitting. Even though it is mushy, I still chew. It takes me about 15 min. to eat my "meal" and then I am done. If I feel like I want more, I wait. A few min. later I always realize that I am, indeed, FULL. I never would have thought this would happen!!!! I am eating mushies every 4 hrs and it is working well for me. Oh, your first mushy meal will be the best food you have EVER put in your mouth. What made you think you could eat a whole cup of food? Did your dr/dietitian give you that amount? I don't think I could eat a whole cup, and I don't want to know if I can.

Continue to have a fabulous time with your family in Florida, and let us know how it is going.

OK- I was so glad to read this because I am SO nervous about the mushies and food part! I start mushies this friday and I'm so scared i wont be full! and more importantly, im afraid ill put the weight back on! :sad:

Do you guys really have restriction even though you havent been filled? I'm worried ill start mushies and get hungry again. what do you think?

and any good mushie recipes? I'm excited for mashed potatoes but any other great recipes? You guys are the BEST source :glare:

Hi guys...

Surgery is tomorrow morning... and I'm freaking out a little... ok - a lot.

any tricks to staying calm that you can pass along?

thanks

~Folk

Hi guys...

thanks

~Folk

I am a day behind you, and I am calm because:

• I know I have a skilled and experienced surgeon
  • The hospital staff I have met, has been wonderful
  • I know how badly I need to lose this weight
  • I know the rate of complications is very low.
  • I know what is expected of me in terms of diet, etc. Most of the bandsters I know love their bands and only wish they had done it sooner!
  • I know I can handle anything if I just take it one thing at a time.

Best of luck to you tomorrow! The surgery is the easy part: You get to take a nap while the surgeon does all the work! :)

Orea

Hi Orea15!

How do I get the ticker and July Butterflies banner on my posts?

For the July butterflies banner, choose the one you like from someone else's post, highlight it and copy it. The go to "Edit Options" from the selections over on the right sidebar>>>>>>>. When you get there, choose "Edit Signature" from the left sidebar. You can paste it right in the box there.

You can make your own ticker at tickerfactory.com. When you have it completed to your liking, go to the boxes of text at the bottom of that page, and copy the text in the bbCode box. Paste that in your sig file box as well. Check your work by doing a preview. I had to fiddle with it a couple of times to get it to work right and look good. (And I had to remove some blank lines to get it to fit the limitations.)

Good luck!

Orea

OK- I was so glad to read this because I am SO nervous about the mushies and food part! I start mushies this friday and I'm so scared i wont be full! and more importantly, im afraid ill put the weight back on! :frown:

Do you guys really have restriction even though you havent been filled? I'm worried ill start mushies and get hungry again. what do you think?

and any good mushie recipes? I'm excited for mashed potatoes but any other great recipes? You guys are the BEST source :sad:

I started mushies on day 8 with a scrambled egg. I also eat chicken salad that I prepare with the new Kraft mayo (contains half calories and olive oil) and no sugar added sweet relish. I put the chicken in the food processor and it works really well. I have also been eating tuna salad, refried Beans with cheddar and ff sour cream. One night chili was made. I put it in the food processor and added the cheese and sour cream and it was good. I am also enjoying the occasional sf dark chocolate pudding :). I would hold off on the mashed potatoes (yes, KNOW they are yummy beyond reason :glare:) because they don't have any Protein and you really have to get your protein in.

Remember....It will be the best meal you have ever eaten!!!:angry:

Ok...now I realize I am hungry and must prepare my refried beans!

Folk, I just had my surgery 4 days ago. Surprisingly (to myself) I didn't feel that nervous while there, but maybe I subconsciously was because I had many questions! Anyways, ditto everything that Orea said and also my Dr. (and probably most Dr.'s) gave me a Adavan and something else for nerves beforehand, so that will take care f any worries. Just try to relax, it will all be finishedbefore you know it! Good Luck! :)

My only regret is that I can't stay awake and watch the whole thing on the monitor! LOL (They did promise me some still pictures, though!)

Orea

Hi guys...

thanks

~Folk

I could tell you not to freak out, but that is normal. It is not nearly as bad as you imagine. When you get into preop tell them you are nervous...most doctors give something......Everyone's pain threshhold is different. When I came out of the surgery I only needed tordol because of adhesions they had to cut. I took tylenol a couple of times at home. I did sleep in a recliner for a week....it is a little difficult getting in and out of bed. Be sure you walk. It will help with the gas. You will do fine. I will pray for a successful surgery and recovery for you. when you are up to it , let us know how you are doing.:)

I started mushies on day 8 with a scrambled egg. I also eat chicken salad that I prepare with the new Kraft mayo (contains half calories and olive oil) and no sugar added sweet relish. I put the chicken in the food processor and it works really well. I have also been eating tuna salad, refried Beans with cheddar and ff sour cream. One night chili was made. I put it in the food processor and added the cheese and sour cream and it was good. I am also enjoying the occasional sf dark chocolate pudding :eek:. I would hold off on the mashed potatoes (yes, KNOW they are yummy beyond reason :D) because they don't have any Protein and you really have to get your protein in.

Remember....It will be the best meal you have ever eaten!!!:drool:

Ok...now I realize I am hungry and must prepare my refried beans!

Thank you SO MUCH! These are great ideas! I was just about to ask how I can get some protein in there :laugh: Thanks so much!