Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Butterflies Master Thread

I just had my first fill on Thursday, only 3 weeks after surgery. After about 10 days, I was finding that I was getting hungry quickly and 4 to 6 oz was just not filling me up anymore. I called my doctor and asked to move up my fill date. They said they could only move it up 1 week to 3wks. After my fill, my doctor put me on 800-900 calories a day.

Since I have had my fill, I seem to be eating less but I am so afraid of over-eating. I have been working hard to stop eating when I am full, but I love food so much, it is sometimes hard. I just hope I can keep it up!

I have not tried to go out to eat yet, I am afraid of all of the foods I love that I can't have anymore. :thumbup:

I know this is just the beginning of our journey, but I am ready to really get going and see some changes! Keep up the good work everyone!:thumbup:

NewMama29: I know exactly how you feel and I have not had a fill yet. I am in the mourning stage of foods I love and can have no more. My DH was having cashew chicken and my DD lo mein noodles with beef the other night. The smell, sight, and texture of those dishes were overwhelming and almost more than I could stand. My DH saw the look of longing in my eye and said he was so sorry and would not bring it home again. I know being healthy is better than any food, but I do miss it.

Orea: You are such a wise sage. You can put into words what I wish I could have. Keep posting, we missed you when you were gone.

Orea - thanks for the words of wisdom!

Bev - I have my two week follow-up this week (it will actually be 2.5 weeks). I'm thinking of asking the doc to move up my fill date. I agree with you. I want to get started on this new life. Right now I feel I can eat anything!

- Kathy

Orea I too went off sugars even no artifical or sweetners like maltodextrin. I didn't have honey or even Splena nothing sweetened. There is tons of sweetners in our foods. I only found 2 salad dressings that were not and Chilis every item on their menu has sugar added and that was the company telling me! So I know how you feel. I went back of sugars again before being banded and it was easier but I didn't keep it up.

I went to Chick fil A yesterday and their GRILLED chicken sandwhich was good and also had a whole wheat bun. It was around 250 calories. Then I had their tiny fruit cup but I was satisfied. Last night I had a whole chicken that was already cooked had some breast from that, fresh corn on the cob and a little bit of potato. I then had some fresh fruit and a 60 calorie pudding cup. Sounds like a lot but portion size and it was healthy.

Has any one heard of Eat This Not That? I went to the store yesterday and followed his guidelines, this may work for me. I got Kashi ceral and it had 16 grams of Protein. I picked out some frozen Entrees for lunch and picked out snack food for my family. So I am also trying to change what my family eats and it has been pretty easy. The book is a guide and it helped so much!

Today I am having for lunch a cup of Stouffers Lasgna and some of the fresh fruit. I am hungry now even after having the protein in Kashi ceral for Breakfast. I am not letting myself go hungry just better food choices and those will satisfy you. This is a "journey" as they say and it will take practice before we get it right. Just stay steady and others please list what foods you have found to be helpful also.

good luck to you all.. banded Julu 16.. not chamging my calendar in my computer room so I can remember this great day of a new life... did the Fluid and while on mushies found I could eat anythingso now I will go on weight watchers... was eating pate on crackers and tonight had chips... hmm...time to try real food to end the cravings... but.. still full after only a bit of food and still at around 600 cal.. so..hmm.

Yes, a new journey. I am now on soft food for 4 weeks. I fell off the wagon yesterday and ate a few vanilla wafers......back on track today. I can't wait for a fill to curb my hunger. Aug 21 will be my first one. I raised my calorie intake to 800-1000 and I am walking 30 minutes a day. Best wishes to you too!

I can't say what foods will be friendly to the band, but I can list some of the foods that were my mainstays while I was dieting BB = Before Band.

Kashi GoLean -- the plain stuff mostly, not the sweeter Golean Crunches, though I had them a bit, later in the process, without a problem. I got so de-sugared, that I could taste the sweetness of the plain variety! This is about the only Cereal that didn't leave me hungry an hour later.

Triscuits -- Love the taste, love the whole grain content. Don't make me crazy like Wheat Thins do. I could count out my portion, enjoy them, and stop. With Wheat Thins, I found myself eating three servings instead of one. They left my life immediately!

Yoplait Light -- great to have around for Snacks or meals

Orea's Ground Turkey Chili

1 lb 93% lean ground turkey

1 onion, diced

2 ribs celery, diced

1 green pepper, diced

a small zucchini or yellow squash if you have them (optional)

1 26-32 oz. can crushed tomatoes or Tomato sauce

a can of Tomato Soup, optional

1 28ish oz. can kidney Beans, drained and rinsed

1 14-16 oz. can corn

3/4 t. chili powder or to taste

1/2 t. cumin or to taste

About 1 T Splenda or equivalent sweetener or to taste, to cut the acidity of the tomatoes if you don't add the Soup.< /p>

You need to measure the volume when done to determine how many one-cup servings there are. The calories vary between 200-250 per one cup serving. Very satisfying meal. I often have 6 Triscuits with it.

I used to eat big salads, but I'm looking forward to when I can have a small one with whatever veggies I can tolerate and some lean meat or cheese. I'm dreaming of a nice one with chopped summer tomato, green pepper, and sweet onion with feta cheese and a red wine vinegar-olive oil-garlic salt dressing. YUM

Can you tell I'm ready for mushies?!

Orea

Joiful, I bought that book and sent with with DH on his last business trip. I was SO tired of seeing him come home each time fatter than ever. He has been losing alongside of me! His 3X shirts that I bought him last year are hanging on him.

That chili has been a big part of his success, too. :-D In fact, I am making a new batch today. Don't feel you need to follow it exactly, make it your own! Mine is never quite the same twice.

Orea

Edited by orea15
Typo. I could have left it but it bugged me. LOL

Is any one having gas problems, hint hint hint. I own my own business and I can't have any noises coming from down there. Any One? I am sooo embaressed(sp?)!!!

Hi everyone! Wow, Orea thanks for the turkey chili recipe! And I've found that chili really fills you up! YUM! And with autumn coming up, I can't wait to have something warm! (i live up north) :biggrin2:

I'm really pleased with my weight loss so far. NOthing dramatic, but slowly and steadily losing. Even while on mushies! I was so worried that once I started mushies I would start to gain all my weight back. I lost 11 pounds before surgery and since then (july 18) i've lost another 10. And I can feel it! My jeans are starting to slide down. Never thought I would say "YAY what a great feeling! falling pants!" :)

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well today. Seems like we are all in the same boat still. Can I recommend walking more? I've been walking 30 mins each day at the gym and boy do I feel great!!!

Much love! :)

I do feel better reading that there are others who do not have the restriction they desire. I can eat way more than a cup of food at a time. I can eat anything without a problem. I am keeping myself between 800-1000 calories. My first fill isn't until Sept. 2nd. YIKES too. We all seen to be traveling this journey together. I appreciate the company.:)

Tonight for dinner I took some of my chili and ran it through the blender, then diluted it with V-8 to make a full liquid of sorts. I was in heaven!

Tomorrow is my postop appointment, after which I'll be cleared for purees. Woohoo!

Barb and Lyn- yea I don't feel very full at all after my mushy meals. And its good to read other posts from people who could have larger portions on mushies! I was starting to worry myself :confused2:

But yea, my surgeon didn't specify how much I could eat, but just to take it slow and stop when you are full!

:) I have the green light to go on mushies! Today is my 36th wedding anniversary and I couldn't have asked for a better present. I even can have "real food" next week and start my Water aerobics again. I am so blessed.

The PA told me not to go by whether I feel full or not. She said to go by portion size only. They want you to stick at around 800 to 900 calories a day. So she again emphasized exercise, 3 small meals, a snack in the evening if needed, and no drinking with meals. I am scheduled for my 1st fill Sept. 10. Oh, BTW, secondary to feeling so much better physically, I showed a 20 lb. weight loss from July 10, my last visit, to today. Yeah for me! What more motivation do I need to continue on like I have been doing!

Orea, the turkey chili sounds mouth-watering. I am going to make it tomorrow after a visit to Wally World for ingredients. Thanks a bunch.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kim and I'm a 37 yr old registered nurse. I had lap band surgery on Feb 14, 2008. A present for my heart. I have some serious health problems that prompted me to go ahead and get the surgery. I have systemic lupus was on a high dose of steriods for 3 years, which is why I gained 106 lbs. I also took chemotherapy for 24 months I did well with the treatments and my lupus is in remission. I am dedicated to getting this weight off and living the fullest life possible. Everyone's story

is so inspirational and is motivating me to keep doing what I need to do.

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

Kim:thumbup:

weight.png

Hi - I was banded in July 2008 too and very happy to meet you all. I've read through most of your stories and can relate! I'm in my mid-30s and have never been skinny, but was never really overweight like I thought I was. I remember being a size 8 my freshman year of high school thinking I was so huge. I guess I fullfilled that prophecy because insurance just paid for my lapband. It's been 3.5 weeks and I go in for my first fill today. Bit nervous, but ready to feel restricted. Right now I can eat anything without problem.

I've not lost much weight yet. I didn't lose more than 2 lb on pre-op because the only change to the low-carb diet was taking out the fruit each morning. I did lose some the first week - 6 pounds on Clear Liquids and mushy food. That rocked! We'll see where I am after 3.5 weeks. A bit nervous that I've not lost much if anything. We'll see in a few hours!

"NewMama29: I know exactly how you feel and I have not had a fill yet. I am in the mourning stage of foods I love and can have no more. My DH was having cashew chicken and my DD lo mein noodles with beef the other night. The smell, sight, and texture of those dishes were overwhelming and almost more than I could stand. My DH saw the look of longing in my eye and said he was so sorry and would not bring it home again. I know being healthy is better than any food, but I do miss it."

I know what you mean. What I've done a few times when it was just more than I could take was eat my meal so I wouldn't be too hungry and then I had a bite of their really good food. I was too full to eat any more but my nice full feeling came on an awesome bite of good food. and that yummy, yet not terribly healthy bite of a chimichanga, was sitting on top of some very healthy food. I hope it didn't corrupt it! lol