Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Butterflies Master Thread

I meant to say I have cut out at least 2,000 just from not eating the ice cream. I did say that did't I. I am doing my best and I am now where near the calorie intake of what I was consuming today I think I am around 1500 calories. I went to Zio's first meal of the day, had a dinner salad and then split an entree with my husband and then gave him some more. It had Pasta and olive oil with sundried tomatoes and chicken. I used to eat Fett. Alfedo with 5 cheeses and lots of bread. Tonight thin crust pizza with cheese and some of the cheese taken off for my dogs. Did not eat but 3 small pieces. That is what i had today plus I cleaned house for a couple of hours then went to the mall. I still have not had any icecream or cake even for my son's b-day figure it is off limits the rest of my life since I would go back to abusing it. Last night for his b-day dinner the family and us met at chinese food buffet. I got no rice or linguini, I got meat not fried and veggies and then have fruit and that was it. Small portions, I did really well. Thank you for caring!

Orea so glad to hear from you!

Edited by joiful

Apparently the docs use different types of bands and they have different qualities (according to my doc). I was prepared for 2 weeks of fluids (not clear) and then 2 weeks of mushies but to my joy I can start mushies, slowly introduced from Day 6. At the end of Day 4 post op I'm getting fluids down and I can drink around half a cup without feeling like I've swallowed a tennis ball. I think I'm kinda hungry but I'm unsure - could be just feeling like eating.

Thanks for your messages of support on this forum. All the best, Melanie

Good Monday all! So did anyone have a good weekend? Let me tell ya I am really glad it's monday and the hubby's at work. It is a real adjustment to fixing him and my 2 boys Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, when he refuses to eat healthier (He is not overweight) and I have to make different choices for myself. Seems eaiser just fixing dinner for him on the weekdays. Few bad choices this weekend (eating) but today is a new day and back on track it is. Have a good week all!

Good Monday all! So did anyone have a good weekend? Let me tell ya I am really glad it's monday and the hubby's at work. It is a real adjustment to fixing him and my 2 boys breakfast, lunch, and dinner, when he refuses to eat healthier (He is not overweight) and I have to make different choices for myself. Seems eaiser just fixing dinner for him on the weekdays. Few bad choices this weekend (eating) but today is a new day and back on track it is. Have a good week all!

I can relate to that! My husband refuses to eat healthy, too. He works a very active job and never has a weight problem. My two kids are starting to get a little heavy and we fight about food choices all the time. It is so much better when he is at work. He's off this week:glare:

Wish me luck! I have to really try to stick to my own choices and it is hard!!!

The weekends as tough even for us singles! I ate out twice, and I'm still on mushies. It was hard, but for the most part I was successful. I did have some ham, but cut it so small and then chewed the heck out of it! The interesting thing for me is that I thought I ate more than I was capable of eating. I guess that is because I haven't had a fill yet.

-Kathy

The weekends as tough even for us singles! I ate out twice, and I'm still on mushies. It was hard, but for the most part I was successful. I did have some ham, but cut it so small and then chewed the heck out of it! The interesting thing for me is that I thought I ate more than I was capable of eating. I guess that is because I haven't had a fill yet.

-Kathy

Kathy! I hear ya. I'm on mushies now and I've been eating way more than I thought I would be able to. About one cup of mashed potatoes. But yea- I'm still hungry. I guess we feel "full" after our first fills! Can't wait for that day!

I was told not to eat more than 4 ounces max. at a time on pureed/mushies. And to only eat Protein and veggies and fruits, no potatoes and starchy foods.

I don't know what you were told, though.

And I don't know if I'll be able to hold myself to that after I am cleared for pureed foods on Wednesday.

Don't expect miracles from your first fill. It often takes two, three or more fills to start to get the results we all want, as I understand from reading other bandster group posts. It's gonna take some patience, but we are indeed in this for the long haul.

Orea

Orea - I'm 14 days out and once I started eating mushies I found I could eat more than 4 oz (which is what I was told to do too). I'm trying desperately to hold to 1000 calories a day until my first fill - which is not until September! Yikes. I can't say that I'm always hungry, but I never feel full either.

- Kathy

I just had my first fill on Thursday, only 3 weeks after surgery. After about 10 days, I was finding that I was getting hungry quickly and 4 to 6 oz was just not filling me up anymore. I called my doctor and asked to move up my fill date. They said they could only move it up 1 week to 3wks. After my fill, my doctor put me on 800-900 calories a day.

Since I have had my fill, I seem to be eating less but I am so afraid of over-eating. I have been working hard to stop eating when I am full, but I love food so much, it is sometimes hard. I just hope I can keep it up!

I have not tried to go out to eat yet, I am afraid of all of the foods I love that I can't have anymore. :wub:

I know this is just the beginning of our journey, but I am ready to really get going and see some changes! Keep up the good work everyone!:thumbup:

Yea- it's crazy how all docs are different. I couldn't eat mushies until 14 days after surgery. They never put a lot of emphasis on how much mushies, just to keep the portions small (1/4- 1/2 cup). I could however eat full liquids immediately following surgery. So far so good! :thumbup:

My doc does liquids (2 weeks)

mushies (2 weeks)

soft foods (2 weeks)

so i'm about halfway there!

glad the july butterflies have all completed surgery! now, onto the next phase! :wub:

Orea - I'm 14 days out and once I started eating mushies I found I could eat more than 4 oz (which is what I was told to do too). I'm trying desperately to hold to 1000 calories a day until my first fill - which is not until September! Yikes. I can't say that I'm always hungry, but I never feel full either.

- Kathy

My understanding, which I practiced some beforehand, is that we need to learn to look for something different than what we used to call, "full." When I was eating my Protein and produce in slowly and in small bites, chewing thoroughly and paying good attention, I learned to distinguish a space where the hunger went away. I called it "satisfied" and I learned to consider it enough. It really helped that I had been off of sugars and simple carbs for over a year which really took the edge off of what I consider my "crazy hunger." This was how I lost the weight preband.

Slight change of subject to vent: I'm really pissed that the doctor put me on the Optifast for two weeks preop. It is filled with sugar and all my old raging hunger has come back with a vengeance. I can't tell you how carefully I guarded my relatively sane hunger state. It took me a month just to get over the worst of the cravings (as opposed to what most people report takes maybe four days.) It took me months more to reach that state of relative sanity where my blood sugar was stable enough for me to diet successfully and lose the weight. The 60+ pounds I took off, 50+ was this year wasn't good enough. I sincerely doubt my liver was that big any more. No, I had to drink those damn sugary shakes and undo everything I worked so hard for so I could get the surgery. Let me add that I felt miserable the whole time and got hungrier as the days went on. I went from feeling healthy and better than I had in years, to mood swings and utter misery. My husband took my before pictures during this time and you can see it all in the expression on my face.

When I see that man again, which won't be this week, I'm going to tell him just what I think about this. I could just cry for what he destroyed, it was the first food sanity I found in years of searching.

So Wednesday as soon as I am cleared for mushies, I'll start back at square one with protein and low starch veggies, and hope maybe it goes faster this time. Maybe, just maybe, my body will remember the good old days and adjust faster this time. I'm crossing my fingers.

Orea

Hi everyone, I was banded July 14 in Arkansas. I am glad that I am not the only one who has found that I can eat more than 4 oz. I was worried that I might have already over done it. I went in to my doc at 2 weeks post op and was told I could pretty much eat what ever I could tolerate. Which so far has been anything. He offered to give me my first fill then, but I refused. I thought I would try to hold out for 6 weeks. But I am going to call and see if I can get a fill at 4 weeks. I lost 14 pounds pre-op and not a pound since. I am ready for some results. I don't want to gain back what I have lost.

Glad everyone is doing well.

Hi everyone, I was banded July 14 in Arkansas. I am glad that I am not the only one who has found that I can eat more than 4 oz. I was worried that I might have already over done it. I went in to my doc at 2 weeks post op and was told I could pretty much eat what ever I could tolerate. Which so far has been anything. He offered to give me my first fill then, but I refused. I thought I would try to hold out for 6 weeks. But I am going to call and see if I can get a fill at 4 weeks. I lost 14 pounds pre-op and not a pound since. I am ready for some results. I don't want to gain back what I have lost.

Glad everyone is doing well.

Hi.

I was banded 7/7 and like you, my Dr told me 2 weeks in that I can eat whatever I can tolerate. I got a fill 3 1/2 post-op because I felt that I was eating too much. I still don't have too much restriction, although I am losing... not complaining, but don't know how. I am not even really exercising. Doc says 3 fills and you are good for a while and weight loss will really start:biggrin2:

good luck to you all.. banded Julu 16.. not chamging my calendar in my computer room so I can remember this great day of a new life... did the Fluid and while on mushies found I could eat anythingso now I will go on weight watchers... was eating pate on crackers and tonight had chips... hmm...time to try real food to end the cravings... but.. still full after only a bit of food and still at around 600 cal.. so..hmm.