Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 get Lapband or any WLS...?

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.

• Yes, they have the right to if they want it.
    • No, it's a waste of money and not worth it.
    • I don't know and I don't care.
    • No freaking way!!! Just eat a little less dangit!!!

At my last fill app this lady asked me how much have u lost...I said 25lbs she said u had lap band surgery just to lose 25lbs..I said no I'm going to lose another 25...I'm 166 now..

I was so pissed I guess she didn't think I needed surgery she was much bigger.I can't believe some people

My goal is 140

(I'm a low bmi 30 yr old woman )..

I have been overweight my entire life because I have eaten a tremendous amount of food.I have felt full many, many times and I still kept eating.

That's what ghrelin does to you. They've given it to normal-weighted guys who were full and they went nuts trying to eat more food. (They did the same thing with mice first--same result.) It also makes food look more appetizing. I'm looking forward to not having any/much.

Now, I'm not discounting emotional eating or people with true food addictions. If you've got that and you don't deal with it, no WLS is going to be effective for you. But so many of us have been made to feel like our problems are all in our heads and that all we need is a little willpower and that just isn't accurate for most. If it was, WLS wouldn't be as effective as it is IMO.

I have been reading through these posts and its really irritating that people are making judgments based on whether your 300 pounds or 205. I'm 28 years old, and I weight 218 and I'm 5'4, but I have serious health issues. I had post partum Congestive Heart Failure at 25 yrs old, I'm insulin resistant because of my PCOS, and I have high blood pressure. I may only be 37% BMI, but I have health conditions that have prevented me from losing weight despite everything I've tried. I am not someone who has eaten themselves to being fat, or overweight, but have had health conditions that have contributed to my weight gain and my weight retention.

6 years ago, I was competing in Figure Competitions, and was at my peak fitness and health until I was in a severe accident, then taken off my birth control...that became my downward cycle of my PCOS symptoms and the weight started piling on. Now I'm 85 pounds overweight, and despite my efforts I can not lose it. My doctor says I am a perfect candidate for this type of surgery because I have good eating habits and I work out 5-6 days a week.

I think that WLS is for all types of people, not just the 300+, or for the people who have been overweight their whole lives. All of us have different reasons and stories as to why we are chosing to take this route, and I believe that if you have weight issues and have been fighting it for 6 years or your whole life you shouldnt judge why others are making the same choice as you to better their lives. There's enough judgment in this world, and if you dont like being judged by your looks or weight, then you shouldnt judge someone for making the same decision as you, but their weight is not where YOU expect it to be to qualify!

I really think for a lot of us, there's no fixing it.

I've never really had bad emotional or non hungry eating patterns that you could define as disordered eating. I just ate a lot because that's what it took to fill me. When it got to 4pm, OK, I wasnt starving, but I was definitely "interested" enough to eat a lot of whatever was there. Since having a lapband, that interest has decreased.

There just isnt that "headwork" for everyone, everyone's journey is different. Many people just have appetites that are larger than their body's energy needs and no matter how much headwork you do, that wont change.

On the other had if you're an emotional eater and chocolate addict, perhaps a lapband isnt the best choice. But that is true whether you're 200lb or 400. 25 or 55.

Fatme, nobody's attacking you, obviously some of us have misunderstood what you're trying to say. Sometimes things come across in writing differently to what you intend, if so, sorry to take you the wrong way.

Jachut, Thanks for sharing your perspective. I really don't think that anyone is attacking me. We all see things differently. And you are right comments don't always come accross the way we intend. But one more thing I will comment on-and this is not intended to upset anyone-it's just my perspective- Some people seem to have alot of anger for anyone that brings up questions that they are not comfortable with. After all wasn't that the point of this question to begin with -getting others opinions and thoughts? So sorry if I offended anyone but I do seem to have a knack for doing that.

Good Luck to everyone in their Quest for better health!!!

Here is my comment and this is not intended to upset anyone either. But it is Rants and Raves and it's one of my internet message board pet peeves.

Too many people interpret disagreement as anger or, even worse, bashing when it is just disagreement.

I think what is upsetting people is the tone of the survey, instead of a simple discussion. The choices "No, it's a waste of money and not worth it", and "No freaking way!!! Just eat a little less dangit!!!" and the fact that as of this time, 24 people have chosen these answers. It makes those of use that have lower BMI's feel as though we need to defend ourselves, and those that are voting that we "don't need it" are being judgmental.We Low BMIers often have to defend ourselves to skinny family and friends that think we should just get off of our A$$es and work out. We shouldn't have to defend ourselves or be judged by our fellow bandsters.

I have to believe that some people enjoy a discussion, and want to liven things up by voting for a ridiculous statement that includes the word "dangit". In what trailer park was that word invented?

I think what is upsetting people is the tone of the survey, instead of a simple discussion. The choices "No, it's a waste of money and not worth it", and "No freaking way!!! Just eat a little less dangit!!!" and the fact that as of this time, 24 people have chosen these answers. It makes those of use that have lower BMI's feel as though we need to defend ourselves, and those that are voting that we "don't need it" are being judgmental.We Low BMIers often have to defend ourselves to skinny family and friends that think we should just get off of our A$ and work out. We shouldn't have to defend ourselves or be judged by our fellow bandsters.

i completly agree JWRN... i think the poll choices were somewhat offensive (and this is coming from a very HIGH original BMI bandster, i can only imagine how low BMI'ers felt)...

I have to believe that some people enjoy a discussion, and want to liven things up by voting for a ridiculous statement that includes the word "dangit". In what trailer park was that word invented?

:thumbup::lol::thumbup::lol::w00t::lol:*snort*

I am a female, am 5'2" and weigh 198 lbs, do NOT tell me to diet........ I've paid untold $$$ on Physicians Wt. Loss, Nutrisystem, & Dr. Superv. diets.....Yeah!......They worked until you go off......then ever so slowly the lbs. start to come back with friends!...My BP is not controlled by meds. I have severe GERD, and have been diagnosed as a pre-diabetic! All this with barely having the wind to go up a flight of stairs. My husband who is my PCP and my Bariactic Surgeon agree this is the BEST thing I can do for my health. People should not make judgements if they have not walked in our shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Joy

I feel for you, I'm borderline bmi with severe co-morbities.....I strap myself into painful body shapers and dress to hide it and do not look 198lbs.....One 300 pounder turned around at the 1st. seminar and said with great wonder, "What are YOU doing here?" I guess I was rude but I'd heard enough elsewhere and I answered,"To avoid becomming like you!" Well, she asked for it!

Joy

One 300 pounder turned around at the 1st. seminar and said with great wonder, "What are YOU doing here?" I guess I was rude but I'd heard enough elsewhere and I answered,"To avoid becomming like you!" Well, she asked for it!

I really don't think people understand the higher BMI people sometimes. When they see people who weigh around 200 lbs they think to themselves "Why can't I be that size?" Least that's what I think. Your answer wasn't the nicest...but I guess I could understand it. If you were at my seminar though my surgeon would have asked you to leave and said you wern't qualified for surgery.

Why would your surgeon do that! Her BMI is over 35 and she has comorbidities. Most insurance companies will even cover that!