Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

I live in a hilly area also, it was really not too much of a problem. I did try to make sure I wasn't starting any runs up a hill - that can be daunting. However, if you just take it slow, you can do it! You don't have to break a record, you need to be at a slow comfortable pace and then slowly work your way up to more speed.

Take the program at your pace, don't worry if you have to redo a week or a day - that is okay! The fact that you are out their moving is a real plus!! Don't worry about other people, they are busy focusing on their run and not thinking about you - I have noticed this when I run. I don't pay attention to what other people are doing, I focus on myself.

Get out there on Saturday and let us know how it goes!

i couldnt have said it any better than this Kristen...and THATS saying something...LOL

Carol :thumbdown:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the support, I have started the walking/running. i found a place near work that is flatter, the hills at home were a little daunting. i havent managed much running yet, it is all walking for now, but i have my goal.

I find my muscles are fine and my body is physically fine to run and/or walk, it is my lungs that cant cope with running. just a small run (few hundred yards) and i am puffing. is this normal in the beginning?

Well done to all you 5k achievers, you are an inspiration.

X

hi all. sorry to say but my run today may be delayed. i'm planning to take it one day at a time. yesterday i got stuck very very badly. to the point where i was having pain that was very similar to what i experienced this past october/november with my slip. hoping that i caught it in time. today is an improvement over last nite since i can actually swallow liquids without pain. im sticking with the liquids today at least till i see my doc later.

unless the lingering pressure and bloating subside more, i'll be cancelling my W6D3 run tonite. Im really bummed about this situation and about not being able to run. tomorrow is my anniversary so scheduling may be an issue since i run in the evening. already too hot here during the day. that makes thursday my next best chance to run. I hope i dont lose any ground and can do the 25 minute run.

ttys

Carol

Sorry Carol. I hope everything is okay with your band.

I wish I had better news to report about my back, but it's still killing me. I thought it was a lot better yesterday after leaving the chiropractor, but it got worse and worse as the day went on. I'm still hoping it will straighten out soon. I miss running already. Seems like every time I get back on track something gets in the way. Anyway, fingers crossed it gets better soon.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the support, I have started the walking/running. i found a place near work that is flatter, the hills at home were a little daunting. i havent managed much running yet, it is all walking for now, but i have my goal.

I find my muscles are fine and my body is physically fine to run and/or walk, it is my lungs that cant cope with running. just a small run (few hundred yards) and i am puffing. is this normal in the beginning?

Well done to all you 5k achievers, you are an inspiration.

X

I had the same problem when I started. I couldn't finish the first day of c25k...I just kept at it until I got through it. You may need to repeat days and weeks like I did. I didn't move on until I was ready. It took me a little longer than most, but eventually I got there. You can do it!! Just keep at it!!

Georgia, so sorry about your back. I know how frustrating that can be. Here's hoping you'll be up and about soon.

Carol, your stuck sounds bad. I think you are doing the right thing postponing your run. I can't imagine how hard that would be after being on liquids. Maybe you could take a walk instead, sort of keep your routine going and get a light workout instead.

you know Suzanne...ordinarily id have thought of this myself. cant really believe i didnt, but thanks for the suggestion for the walking. i have to remember that its not all or nothing. I can do a brisk walk tonite, i think it'll be good for my mental health. lol.

GA, wish u well for this stubborn back of yours. hope u get some relief soon. remember to let yourself heal for a few days after the pain is gone completely or whenever your doc says b4 resuming your runs.

i have my appt at 1:30 today, and will let y'all know if its anything bad. dont remember if i mentioned, but i anticipate he will send me over to the hosp for a fluro. we shall see.

tc all,

Carol

I'm baccccccck!

Although I do not recognize many of your names; I do remember Georgia and Kathy.

I love my new job! (2 Months)

Still working out and lossing weight...... until my first week of my new job. I fell off my high heel and broke my ankle torn tendons!! I had surgery last week (yes, I walked on it for 6 weeks!)

I am on crutches for 6 weeks.

My question: It will be about 6 months in all by the time I am heal since the last time I ran.

I know I will be starting all over, but do you know of anything I might be able to do to try to keep staminia up? I know the answer is probably... just rest and heal! Just wondering.

weight: 157

Hey Lyn! It's been so long! I'm glad you love your job! Sorry about your ankle though. I hope you heal quickly. Take it easy and don't worry about your stamina. If I remember correctly, you did really well with the c25k. I'm sure you be running like a pro again in no time. Good to hear from you!

I have some good news...my back is beginning to feel better! YAY!!! I guess my hip was the problem and hopefully he fixed it. I feel A LOT better than I did when I woke up this morning. I'm hoping to be active again in couple of days!!

I had the same problem when I started. I couldn't finish the first day of c25k...I just kept at it until I got through it. You may need to repeat days and weeks like I did. I didn't move on until I was ready. It took me a little longer than most, but eventually I got there. You can do it!! Just keep at it!!

Thanks Georgia, I will keep at it and let you know how i get on. I hope your back is feeling better soon. :cool2:

thanks Georgia. I went to see my doctor today. Hard cast for 3 more weeks no weight bearing. I chose "Black" for my cast color! Obviously I am benched for awhile. Keep running folks. Stay off your high heels!!

thanks Georgia. I went to see my doctor today. Hard cast for 3 more weeks no weight bearing. I chose "Black" for my cast color! Obviously I am benched for awhile. Keep running folks. Stay off your high heels!!

Heehee! I don't even bother wearing high heals...I'm clumbsy enough in flats, lol. BTW, black is cool!

hi all my name is amy. I am almost 7 weeks out from surgery. can i still join the couch to 5k? I'd really like to try... im trying to get my Husband to do it with me. any suggestions before I get started? I have never run or jogged, so this will be a new experience to me. any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

amy

I wish I had better news to report about my back, but it's still killing me. I thought it was a lot better yesterday after leaving the chiropractor, but it got worse and worse as the day went on. I'm still hoping it will straighten out soon. I miss running already. Seems like every time I get back on track something gets in the way. Anyway, fingers crossed it gets better soon.

Georgia~ stay off your back until it feels better. I know that it took a full two weeks when I sprained my back before I was able to start moving again.

Take care and you will be back on the road before you know it!

hi all my name is amy. I am almost 7 weeks out from surgery. can i still join the couch to 5k? I'd really like to try... im trying to get my Husband to do it with me. any suggestions before I get started? I have never run or jogged, so this will be a new experience to me. any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

amy

Amy~jump in and get started! Of course you can join the C25K, you can start at any time. If you go to coolrunnings.com you will find the program as well as links to podcasts that will help you when you get started.

Just remember to take the program at a pace that is comfortable for you. I think everyone here would agree that they have had to redo days or even weeks to make it through the entire program. Just remember that is okay - you need to listen to your body and progress at a rate that is comfortable for you!

It is a great program and it will help you get active and feel better! Good luck with the program, I hope you can get your husband to do it with you!

Amy, welcome! I talked my DH into starting it with me too, but he only lasted a few weeks. He lost interest. LOL

I did the podcast and kept at it on my own and finished the program. I now really enjoy running and will be running my first 5K this Sat! Woot!

Good for you for taking this step toward better fitness!