Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

it took me 48.44 mins to go 3.1 miles. :)

My 5k is May 9, only 3 more weeks. I'm not ready! :thumbup:

Any words of wisdom, encouragement, tips?

You guys rock!

But you DID complete the 3.1 miles!! Woo Hoo!!!! I have not done over 2 miles yet, and that was with the walk/jog mix. So, i'm totally impressed that you completed the 5k!!! Time/Shmime! 25 minutes or 55 minutes, it's all good when you COMPLETE what you started out to do! So i'm proud of you!!!!! You Go Girl! YOU Rock!!!!!

Tkl

I'm embarassed to admit that including my 5 min warmup and cool down and the extra time walking to reach my distance, it took me 48.44 mins to go 3.1 miles.

Suzanne... you're doing great! You are increasing your running time each week and will eventually get the full distance in. Don't beat yourself up about your time. Remember, my first 5k I ran the whole distance... no walking, and it took me 44 min. So you're probably pretty close to that time if you were to run the whole distance. The 5k I just ran had me at 41 min, so I've improved, but am still slow. There were a LOT of people who ran it a lot slower than that. I looked at the results, and many did it in 55 min or more. Yes, some of them were walking, but most were running.

Have you tried just running until you can't run anymore? I did that and went from 28min to 50min in a week. That helped me just get over the distance thing. I just turned on my iPod and ran to my own music and stopped when I had to. I didn't look at the time or distance, just kept going.

Every once in awhile, I do that now and it helps me break through a block that I'm having.

chula, my advice is also to wait till your doc clears u for more intensive exercise. usually 4-6 wks post op. also start off walking and build up, unless u were a runner b4. too much too soon and its easy to burn out or feel too much pressure to do the program. keep reading here and wehn u r really ready then start the program. hope this helps.

Suz, wow 48 and change is nothing to sneeze at. thats great for a start. as whosya taught me... every run is a learning experience. he also told me to taper the running about a week b4 the race. if i remember the point - its to only do as much walking or light running to stay in the game. i think its supposed to give the body time to repair and energize b4 the intensity of the race.

tc,

Carol

Ok, Mac another novice question here: Why would using an ipod disqualify you in a race?

They are against the rules in triathlons. Some running races allow them and some tris are starting too, but most don't. It's a safety issue and also considered cheating.

Well, I'm up to 35 mins running now, but still no where near 3.1 miles.

Yeah, that happens. I did what you did -- made sure my walking and running equalled 3.1 no matter what and pretty soon I was running the whole thing. I think I did it for the first time a week before my race so it was a bit nerve-wracking.

The other thing I started doing was after the 5 min. of walking at the end, I'd run again.

The other thing I started doing was after the 5 min. of walking at the end, I'd run again.

Hi Mac,

I do almost the same thing, but i run hard for about 1 - 2 minutes right before my last walk cycle. It adds the time, and really gets the cardio up even higher! My Dr.s office suggested it, and i've only done it a couple of times, so i dont have anything to judge it by to see if it works, but boy oh boy, do i feel the difference!

Good luck to all!

Tkl

I dont know why i feel compelled to report every run i do, but here it is. Last nite confirmed for me that im ready to move on to week 5. i'll do one more run at week 4 then i'll bite the bullet and go for it. since ive been doing week 4 for 2 1/2 - 3 weeks, i was feeling like week 4 was gonna always kick my butt. sunday nite, i did fine as i posted and last nite i did fine again confirming that sunday wasnt a fluke and im looking at my last run as a graduation of sorts. a mini graduation to the next level.

i have a suggestion for the couch and pod runner ppl though--- maybe they can rename them from "weeks 1-9" to level or stage 1-9. maybe it wouldnt seem so daunting to reach the next week in a calendar week. what do u think, friends? maybe make a bulk suggestion from those of us who need to catch up to real life runners but do it in our own pace...just a suggestion.

tc all,

Carol

I have been thinking about starting an exercise regime since i had my band in december but havent done anything about it. I want to run, its who i want to be, i want to be that healthy person jogging in the park but i think when i read your posts, it is the fear of failure that has stopped me, also being a big girl, i am pretty worried about what people will think of me out running. having read what one of you said about how they should change the program from week 1 to 9 to level 1 to 9 has made me feel much better about starting, i dont have to do it in 9 weeks, i can just start off at week 1 and see how i go. so I am starting on Saturday, this gives me sunday to recover from my first attempt and to schedule next week. I am gonna do the ipod download tonight. any advice, tips etc. is welcome.

the area i live in is quite hilly, has anyone been doing hills? thanks.

the area i live in is quite hilly, has anyone been doing hills? thanks.

I live in a hilly area also, it was really not too much of a problem. I did try to make sure I wasn't starting any runs up a hill - that can be daunting. However, if you just take it slow, you can do it! You don't have to break a record, you need to be at a slow comfortable pace and then slowly work your way up to more speed.

Take the program at your pace, don't worry if you have to redo a week or a day - that is okay! The fact that you are out their moving is a real plus!! Don't worry about other people, they are busy focusing on their run and not thinking about you - I have noticed this when I run. I don't pay attention to what other people are doing, I focus on myself.

Get out there on Saturday and let us know how it goes!

Don't worry about other people, they are busy focusing on their run and not thinking about you - I have noticed this when I run. I don't pay attention to what other people are doing, I focus on myself.

Get out there on Saturday and let us know how it goes!

i couldnt have said it any better than this Kristen...and THATS saying something...LOL

Carol :sneaky:

Hello all! I'm running my first 5K in a few weeks. I'm wondering what advice all of you might have for me especially the day before and the morning of. What do you recommend eating the day before? Do you eat the morning of and if so, what? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Hi!

I just wanted to say thank you to all my well wishers for my Half Marathon today!!

Some of you have known me from the start. Last year i did the my FIRST 5k..the oshkosh 5k and 1 year on from that today i did the OshKosh 1/2 Marathon!

I started it all with the Couch to 5k!

I could bearly run for 1 min without dieing at first! so hang in there.

I fininshed in 2hour and 18 mins. 13.1 miles!

It felt awesome too! Last year it snowed but this year we had perfect weather. My pace was just below 10min miles for most of it.

Used my nike plus to pace me!

Bea and Carol thanks for the kind words!!!!! I REALLY apperciate it!!!!!

Hello all! I'm running my first 5K in a few weeks. I'm wondering what advice all of you might have for me especially the day before and the morning of. What do you recommend eating the day before? Do you eat the morning of and if so, what? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Ok the day before you should take a brisk 30 min walk or some really slow running.

NO DAIRY the day before if you can avoid it! :tt1:

The morning of is all about your reg routine. Ate what your used to eating. Try and get a balance of carb/protein.

You shouldnt need more than 150-250 cals. Eat at least 1 hour before your 5k!

Drink a good amount of Water way before too.

CONGRATS Whosya!!! you've done awesome! I hope you are as proud of yourself as i know i am. Good tips too. I know u posted them to answer Bea's questions, but i'm gonna use them too! I wouldnt have known about the dairy thing. Thanks

Carol

Whosya~ WTG! That is so impressive, you are motivation and inspiration to many of us!

Ok the day before you should take a brisk 30 min walk or some really slow running.

NO DAIRY the day before if you can avoid it! :tt1:

The morning of is all about your reg routine. Ate what your used to eating. Try and get a balance of carb/protein.

You shouldnt need more than 150-250 cals. Eat at least 1 hour before your 5k!

Drink a good amount of Water way before too.

Thanks for the info. Just curious, why no dairy?

Congrats on the half marathon! You are so awesome! I hope all else is well with you. I see you've been traveling a lot. Take care!