Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Hey Guys,

As usual, reading your posts inspires me to keep trying. I'm on Week5 Day2 tonight and I'm very nervous about Friday. That will be my first 20 minute straight running! OMG, can I do it? Any tips or hints to help me get through the straight 20 mins?

I ran Week5 Day1 on Monday, then went sledding with DH. We must have walked up our huge hill about 30 times. I went again yesterday, but only about 12 times. DD came over and she's recovering from mono (I know she had no business out there). Anyway, I was happy not to over do it as Week 5 is scarey!

I've lost 5.4 pounds on WW and bought SIZE 6 this weekend! I keep checking the tags, I just can't believe it.

DH bought me a pair of size 7 Wranglers today!!!! They look too cute on me and are not a bit too tight. I was so pumped!! He was too. He will probably expect favors tonight. :confused:

Georgia, You are doing awesome!! You know you are still my best band buddy!! It is really hard admitting to myself that I need to switch up my plan. I think I have adult ADD! Seriously, I get bored easily and have to move on to something else. My videos haven't come in yet. I can't wait till they get here!! I am still rooting you all on. I just love this thread!!

WTG renewed and Suzanne! Very proud and jealous of both of u...sizes 6 and 7...WOW.

well i did the 3rd day of week 2 tonite. i seriously think i'll need to do this one longer. In fact, i'm just gonna plan to do each week more than 3x. the conditioning is really necessary.

I didnt tell you folks but monday's run wasnt as good as ive done. i couldnt quite finish the first and last run intervals. I think i didnt stretch enough. did much better tonite. i feel stronger with each run, but i still feel every single step of the runs and even though i know i dont want to let it get too predictable for too long, i just feel i need it.

glad things are going well for most of u. Kathy i hope you and DH get better quick.

Whosya...havent seen any posts from u lately, is everything ok?

talk to you all soon i hope. i'll keep u posted and hipe y'all dont mind my long long posts.

Carol

DH bought me a pair of size 7 Wranglers today!!!! They look too cute on me and are not a bit too tight. I was so pumped!! He was too. He will probably expect favors tonight. :confused:

Georgia, You are doing awesome!! You know you are still my best band buddy!! It is really hard admitting to myself that I need to switch up my plan. I think I have adult ADD! Seriously, I get bored easily and have to move on to something else. My videos haven't come in yet. I can't wait till they get here!! I am still rooting you all on. I just love this thread!!

Thanks BBB (best band buddy, lol)! Whoooo Hooooo! Size 7 jeans.....that is awesome! I'm so proud of you girlie!

LOL on the adult ADD! I am that way too on some things. Usually crafty projects that I start....I end up wanting to start another one before I even finish, lol.

As for me, I didn't run again today and not sure I will be able to tomorrow. I've been bad, lol. I will definitely run Friday and hopefully tomorrow. I did manage to start up low carb again today with no problem.

Carol....I had to repeat many weeks! Don't worry at all about repeating. Move on when you feel you can. As long as you keep going, it doesn't matter. You are doing great!

Carol,I don't post much, but wanted to know I'm experiencing the same feelings. I have finished week four and am seriously considering repeating. I have repeated several levels. I just pictured it getting a little easier by now. I really have to talk myself through the runs. On the bright side, I am feeling stronger and it's kinda addictive! I just keep coming back to this thread for inspiration. Good Luck to us both!!

Carol and ScalingDown, are either of you using a podcast when running? I use Robert Ullrey's and it really helps keep me going.

Having said that, last night was a challenge. I had a bad day and was feeling cranky and noticed that it was really holding me back on the treadmill. I kind of had to make myself do it and I felt like I barely made it through the last 8 minute run. Afterward, I felt amazing though and was really glad I did it.

Friday is my first 20 minute run and I'm nervous about it. If I can't make it, I may be repeating week 5 myself.

As long as we're running right?

How long will recovery be?

I had my pre-op yesterday and he said no driving for 3 days and no running for 7. I'll play it by ear though, I am immunocompromised, so I don't want to hinder healing. I thought about walking only for a week and then back into running. We shall see.

Best part though, no nasty pre and/or post-op diet...LOL!

...I have finished week four and am seriously considering repeating. I have repeated several levels. I just pictured it getting a little easier by now. I really have to talk myself through the runs...

Don't worry too much about what you're feeling. Renewed, Georgia and I pretty much started out together, and we felt the same exact way. There were levels that I struggled with so much, I couldn't make it through the run. Some weeks I'd almost make it through the first run, bomb on the second and huff & puff through the third. I loved the feeling of accomplishment, hated the thought of running, and loved how much stronger I was getting. But it honestly didn't get better until I stopped the intervals and just started running straight out... after week 5. So hang in there... it does get better and you will end up loving it while you are actually doing it!!!

Friday is my first 20 minute run and I'm nervous about it. If I can't make it, I may be repeating week 5 myself.

Suzanne... don't let your head convince you that you can't! You might have to repeat this run a few times before you make it, but if your mind gets in the way, it will take longer. Don't worry about how far you can go. It took me a total of 4 weeks to accomplish the 20 min run, but once I did, I went from 20 to 45 in 3 weeks. It was mostly my head getting in the way, and boredom with the treadmill. I took my running outside at that point and it helped me alot. As you said.. as long as your running, all progress is progress. If you don't finish the 20 min, try again the next time and try to keep moving the needle.

Carol... you are doing great. Keep progressing at a pace that seems good for you, but don't be afraid to push yourself too.

Lyn... So glad your new job is going well. Your fitness schedule makes me cringe... I don't see 4am unless the kids call out or I have to catch a flight!! I'm a night time exerciser!

Renewed... so did you sit on the 4 wheeler??? LOL. Sounds like DH likes wranglers!!

DE... wow, just 7 days of no running? I'm with you, I think I'd wait another week.

Georgia... glad the low carb is working for you. I love to see that runner move on your ticker! Onederland is approaching!

I went to the doc yesterday and yes I have strep just like my DH. So I'm on antibiotics, and they are already helping. I'm off work yesterday and today, but still plan to go to Ottawa tomorrow. I think I'll be good by then. Luckily so far I don't have a cough or congestion like DH. If I can keep that away, I'll be fine. He's a mess still. Of course... no running for me. I'm way to achey for that and too tired.

Georgia & DE... I just checked our team Nike+ challenge... Whosya is gaining. He's only 19 miles behind us, and thats just one long run for him! With me off sick, DE's surgery and Georgia cutting back, we are losing our lead!

Come on "Hotties", we've got to give this as much as we can. It ends on St. Patties Day, so let's try to keep it up. I've never won a challenge... I'd like to win one!

Ok, Kathy you have sparked the cometitive side of me. I am unpacking boxes today. IF I cn find the one with my Nike+ in it and my treadmill safety strap then maybe I can put in a couple of surprise runs for Mr Whosya!! I better get to unpacking. When does the challenge end?

Carol,I don't post much, but wanted to know I'm experiencing the same feelings. I have finished week four and am seriously considering repeating. I have repeated several levels. I just pictured it getting a little easier by now. I really have to talk myself through the runs. On the bright side, I am feeling stronger and it's kinda addictive! I just keep coming back to this thread for inspiration. Good Luck to us both!!

Yes scaling down, i have to talk myself through too sometimes. and yes, it is addictive for me, and yes I do feel stronger with every run. I'm gonna keep at week 2 for now maybe through the weekend. My SIL is coming to visit...(the pickiest person on the planet) so I'm gonna have stress and energy to burn off in a more positive way than eating. so you may see some posts from me on that. lol.

Suzanne, I use the podrunner interval series that kathy recommended to me. the music is horrid, which is good for me actually. it keeps me motivated to finish to get the music over with! Plus i like being so methodical with the training. I may give yours a try if i get a chance. Is it free? podrunner was, So Woo hoo.

DE, im sorry, but i'd really follow doc's advice on this. I also think your idea of walking is great though, may help you keep in the game a bit. but dont push it - you dont want to do any serious damage that might keep you out of it for a much longer period of time... (dr. Carol's advice, of course...lol)

All of you, thanks for the encouragement! it makes me feel better that im in such good company with the repeating of the weeks. I was thinking that i wasnt progressing well enough if i didnt move on at the pace suggested on the series. so, this helps alot. i know my body fairly well, and really feel i need the increased conditioning. my goal is to see how i do continuing on week 2 thru the weekend, reevaluate, then give myself permission to continue thru next week if i absolutely need it. Im getting stronger but i have to remember that this time last year, i wasnt doing this, and every time i run is a learning experience. (thanks Whosya, for that advice... I keep that in mind every time.)

talk soon,

Carol

Edited by slinky
typo

Carol, Robert Ullrey's podcast is free, but be forewarned, the music on that one isn't that great either. I like it for running though I'd never listen to it in real life. LOL But it keeps me steady and I just focus on the beat to help me keep my rhythm.

Kathy, thanks for the advice. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

I am using the podcast (the DJ Beatsmith one...it was the lesser of 2 evils). I found one night when my mp3 player died during a run, that I do better just watching the time on the treadmill!