Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some reassurance

Hi- ive got my date for the 11th July- but Im due to go on holiday (vacation) to Rhodes Greece on the 19th July. My surgeon isnt worried but I am now as most of mt girlfriends are very concerned. My usual travel insurance wont insure me for my band - I need some reassurance

thanks Mrs lummy:unsure:

I think physically you could do it, it really just depends on how you feel and how energetic and basically healthy a person you are. How are you traveling and how long of a trip is it? Personally I wouldn't want to go on vacation that soon after surgery. I only get a few vacations a year (if I'm lucky!) and I want to be feeling my best and able to eat and be active on vacation. At 8-10 days post-op you'll be on a restricted diet, you won't be able to swim, and chances are that you will get tired easily. If it's the kind of vacation where none of that matters, I'd go for it.

thanks- Im not worried about the food Im going to take slim fast and a blender so will make Soups and I will be able to rest - its just that I dont want to put it off anymore as once Id decided I needed to get it done asap

Hi- ive got my date for the 11th July- but Im due to go on holiday (vacation) to Rhodes Greece on the 19th July. My surgeon isnt worried but I am now as most of mt girlfriends are very concerned. My usual travel insurance wont insure me for my band - I need some reassurance

thanks Mrs lummy:unsure:

personally I would put off the surgery until after the trip, especially since you'll be out of the country....I think its probably not a worry but I wouldn't want to be in another country with an issue that they may not know about.....and I agree with the other comment, trust me you won't ave a lot of energy....at least for a month or so...don't stress out about it you can do it when you get back really...

I would delay the surgery. I know I certainly wasn't ready to travel a week after surgery. I would want to enjoy my vacation, you may end up out of country and have a medical emergency. I had just a little bit of pain after surgery but I really tired easily. Postponing surgery for a month or so won't really matter so much when you are a year or so out.

I have been to Rhodes, it is a four hour journey to get there from the UK. I'm thinking about DVT so soon after an op? If you do go make sure you get up and walk about, also don't have ice in your drinks you don't want to get sick and brush your teeth in bottled Water. Just be careful for yourself.... it's clean and all that but different bugs may make you ill.

I understand the desire not to put it off. I am having surgery July 28th and will be leaving on a road trip with my daughter and mother, on August 14th. I am going to pack what I need and enjoy myself.

I have to say with caution.. I think it would be so much better to plan the surgery after the trip .. You will feel better but like the others said weak and if there is a problem you won't be just a drive away to get to the Drs. Better to be safe than sorry .. This is surgery and no matter how safe it is it is serious and you should be healing ..

Take care and let us know what you decide ...

I have not had my surgery yet, (july 2) but if you want my 2 cents, I would wait to have surgery until you come back. The surgery will be here when you get back from your trip. I would go on your vacation and have a great time, then come back, have the surgery and start your new life! Good luck on your decision!