Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any low bmi's who talk often?

I am on vacation in Florida with my family. I was worried if I could handle post op liquids and vaction. It has only been one day, but it is going well.

I move to mushie food on Wednesday and am nervous. I don't want to loss my momuntum. did you all notice a big slow down in weight loss when you graduated from liquids?

Banded July 16

Highest 199.6

Surgery day 196

Current 183

Goal 130!!!!

(PS, DRH, I will be back to work soon - keep the place in ship sharp!)

Ilse,

That's great about getting the sleeve. My doctor in Mexicali said that he is doing about 20 sleeves now to one band and will probably quit doing bands by next year. If you haven't thought about it, you might want to buy a few of those instant heating pads from Walgreens or Walmart. I thought the heat felt good while in and out of the hospital. Also, a good tip after you get out of the hospital, is to get a Coke Icee or Slushie. Something about the cola and caffine makes things a little better on the tummy. Good luck! Anne

Hi Annestoy! My doctor is also in Mexicali...and my surgery went fabulously! I had absolutely NO pain. I have had three prior laparoscopies when I was much younger and never really experienced any shoulder pain from the gas. I did not this time either. Never needed any heat or any pain meds...except for some Migraine medicine because I did get a migraine after surgery. All is well. :wink2:

I am a big talker especially recently since I am scheduled for LB surgery in 4 days Dec. 2! I just can't believe it's really going to happen. I've been wanted this procedure for over 3 years and have been on this site for as long as that! I had two questions for anyone who cares to share their wisdom and experience:

1. Is it easier to battle head hunger when you do feel full? I would think it is ...I rarely feel full now that I am pre banded ....I know the head hunger I think that is the hunger I ONLY experience but know it's easier to battle if I'm not hungry. If this makes any sense?:blush:

2. Any low BMI ers who looked at themselves in the mirror pre op and though ...gee I'm not fat... I'm just a little over weight....what am I doing? Am I just applying over kill like I do with everything else in my life? Am punishing myself for gaining weight in middle age? Was everyone right that told me I don't need to get the lap band just go on weight watchers? Yikes!!!!What will I do when I'm bored and watching TV? Will I yell at my kids and husband? Will I lose my mind??? :)

Sooverit, I wondered all the same things. A lot of people told me I wasn't overweight enough to need surgery. I knew that I would continue to gain weight though. No matter which diet I was on, I lost all the weight and gained it all back. This was a way to lose what I needed, and hopefully be able to keep it off.

It's still not as easy as I would like it to be. the band is absolutely no help with things like like Cookies and candy. I do gain a few lbs back and then I freak out and worry I am going to gain it all back so I go back to good eating habits until the next social event comes along and I am tempted by goodies.

I try to curb my head hunger with sf hot chocolate in the evenings, and I do eat a lot of sugar free popsicles and fudgesicles. There is also the sugar free fat free puddings. I do find if I mainly eat only Protein, the cravings are not as bad.

Thanks so much Denise. I like your idea of hot chocolate at night...anything hot dims my hunger! Good idea...I know tea is the hot drink of choice for the nutritionist I've seen ..but I just can't get the urge to make tea when I barely like it.

It's true D about us gaining at this age even from eating the same amount as we did or even less. It would take nothing short of a miracle for me to lose weight this time....at age 40. I just did it too often Ithink....my weight is only going in one direction! Thanks Denise for you support!

I agree, I'm 41 and I have a BMI of 38. I'm waiting for approval now and I had the same feelings. I didn't know if I weighed enough or can I do this on my own. I know I can't, I know I need this extra help. I thought about this back in Feb and then decided I could do it on my own, now 10 pounds later (gained that it is) I am so looking forward to starting a new life. This approval waiting is killing me and I know I am gaining more (I wont look at a scale right now).

Good luck to you, you are so close to your new life.

Hi Teresa: You will learn patience with the insurance companies and it will go fast especially with the holidays ect. You do have age on your side...you're metabolism should still be in good order? I ended up paying out of pocket but recently diagnosed with Hypertension which is a green light for insurance coverage!

Good luck with all the details ...keep us posted...You'll do fine!.

OK low BMI'ers I had my surgery July 16th - I weighed 199.6 and am 5'2 at age 50.

It is now Dec 1st I am 164 pounds 5'2 and 50 years old.

I had to pay out of pocket and I would have sold my teeth for this surgery. It was the best thing I have ever done. I have now had 3-4 fills and just reach what is referred to as the sweat spot! No head hunger, about 1 cup of food at atime fills me up.

I have really had to keep my head in the game getting to this point though. Remember it is a tool to control your quantity/ portion control! You still have to chose what goes in your mouth and how often.

Here are few of my tips:

1. always chose Protein first

2. never drink fluids and eat solids at the same time

3. get your fills as often as you can to get to the sweat spot.

4. never give up.

5. If you have to sell a limb to get the surgery do it!!

I feel great and you will too.

I was in a tight size 14 as we speak I am wear a size 8 jeans!

Dear Lyn: Just wanted to thank you for your post as it is exactly what I needed to hear. With surgery suddenly upon me - tomorrow early morning, I am just hoping I did the right thing or was this lap band one or my obsessions I couldn't put down. You calmed my fears as you are a true low BMIer ! Your advice is great, in fact it's getting a place on the heart of my home...the refridge! Congrats on being a size 8 at age 50 whahooo......you must feel awesome!

thanks again,

Marg

in

NY

Hi, my name is Katie. I'm 57 years old, married with 2 daughters and 2 grandkids, a boy and a girl. I don't necessarily think I'm really a low BMI, only to my insurance company who thinks I have to have a BMI of 40 AND a comorbidity. I think I have a BMI of btwn 37-38. I weight 190# and am only 5'1" tall. I have Group Health Insurance (Northwest Wa area) and also Regence Blue Shield thru my husband's employer.

Are most of you self-pay? Any of you had surgery in Mexico, and are you happy with your results? How about those with insurance pay-any have either of my above two ins companies?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you! Katie:girl_hug:

If I had to go to Mexico, I would only go to dr. Alberto Aceves. He is the very best Mexican surgeon in my opinion and one of the only ones that does surgery in a hospital. The rest do it in a clinic and you recover in a hotel. They will pick you up at the airport in San Diego.< /p>

I was a self pay but Dr. Tersigni keeps his prices lower so that he can save people from a flight after surgery.

That is not fair Lynn that you are 5'2" and in a size 8 jeans. I am 5'2" and I am in a size 12 and I weigh less than you do. I am jealous, even though I haven't been in a size 12 since my daughter was born 27 years ago.

I am considered a low BMI (37) and was part of a low BMI study. After being turned down 3x by my ins. companies and jumping through all their ridiculous hoops I was lucky enough to find this study which only cost me around $12,000. out of pocket here in NY would cost almost double that. My care was TOP notch and the follow up is wonderful and it's only 20 mins from my home. I remember seeing the ad in a woman's newspaper for the Obesity Center which is the follow up care center and it popped out at me and after that this process took on a life of it's own and I just followed. I wasn't giving up but I felt discouraged with money/economy being the way it is.

The pre op was diet was really not too strict for me. Here is another reason to nip it in the bud ...being a low bmi er the entire preceedure is considered lower risk also. I tried to keep it low fat and kept it liquid for a day or two.

Was banded on the 2nd and feel thinner and motivated to get going with exercise already! I am so happy I did this!

All the best to you all!

I was also somewhat lower BMI to start at a hair under 40. I am 33, married with 1 child (and 1 on the way).

I was self pay and had surgery in Mexico with Dr. Corvala and I stayed in a hospital. Care was excellent, the hospital was very nice and follow-up has been easy too as in they are really responsive to emails and phone calls. I have a local fill doctor here in Ohio.

I was surprised the the weight came off so quickly and I am now at about 100% excess weight loss and am at the top of a normal BMI at 25. I expected a slower more tedious loss as I got under a BMI of 30 . . . and although I definitely had to work harder for each pound loss, I could still keep losing.

I count myself very fortunate. I was low BMI of 36. I have Anthem Blue Cross (California) PPO and they paid. I have co-mobidities (I think they require at least 3). Had my first fill yesterday and am losing weight. I agree - this is a great tool, but you have to work it!