Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any low bmi's who talk often?

I would like to be on this forum, but I don't see any recent activity. Should I be on a different forum for talkers like myself??:) Anne

Hi, I am a low BMI (er). I check this thread often, but do not see much action. I also check seveal other threads and post there. Tomorrow is my pre-op testing. I get banded July 16th. Where are you in the process. I would love to compare notes.:)

Hi, count me in for this group! I have my first consultation on Friday, no surgery date yet, but excited to begin the process. Are both of you self-pay? That's been my biggest headache throughout this whole process. Just when I think I've secured the money, another issue comes up! Pardon my ignorance with the weight-loss ticker, but I can't figure it out; I'll just tell you that I'm currently 187 and want to get down to 125 before my beautiful daughter graduates from high school next year! Looking forward to chatting!

I *think* I'm a low BMI person. Banded last Monday with a BMI of 31.5.

I came home from surgery 6 pounds heavier from IV fluids and swelling. The 6 pounds are gone now and 3 more came off with them!

The only part about the 21 days of liquids is that the weight comes off fast. Otherwise, it's just darn hard. Looking forward to having a BMI in the 20s very soon!

I have struggle lately because I started doing Adkins and started losing weight Great right. No because I wanted to make sure my BMI was high enough (duh!) That my doctor would still do the lap band. So my plan...

today I weighed 191.3 at 5'2; my pre- op testing is tomorrow. I wil get my offical weigh-in then. Then I have about 3 week until the surgery. I will resume the adkins to loss what I can prior to the lap band. By the time I have 2 weeks of post op liquid; I hope to be 20-25 pounds lighter.

By the way, I am self pay too; how about you? What's your stories?

My sister got the lapband last March 2007; three weeks later she got pregnant. She had a beautiful girl; 2 months premature but healthy. Since getting the band she has lost approximately 65 pounds. She looks beautiful! She is looking to lose 50 more. I was with her for the surgery and recovery, so I got a first row seat to the process. She has always been heavier than me so I thought I would not qualify for the procedure. I rode with her to her first fill appt after the baby and I admit kind of took over the appt with all my questions for the doctor. I asked him if he would consider banding someone with a 31-32 BMI. I about jumped out of my seat when he said yes. Consequently, I have my first official appt with him for myself on Friday. YEAH!

My BMI is not as low as some of you but I am considered low for surgery AND for insurance to pay for it. My BMI is 37. I qualify for surgery but insurance is questionable. I do not have a lot of health issues. One doctor said no that insurance would not pay for it and another said that there is a good chance that insurance will because I am beginning to have some blood pressure issues (not very high though) and I have degenerate disk in my back. The good thing about not having a lot of health problems is that I do not have to have as many tests before surgery has some do and the process is quicker. I have only had to see a Nutritionist, a Psych., and have general tests at the hospital. Then we are sending it to insurance. I will probably be self pay if insurance does not pay for it. The scary part about that is if you have to have another surgery that is related to the band then that is another cost to you. The unknown future is scary especially when you are talking about hospital bills.

Since your sister has gone through it, you will know all the ins and outs. Are you older or younger than your sister? I hope to get to 130 by Jan 2009. I am 50 years old and as we get older we tend to lose weight slower; so it is a grand goal; but achievable.

Our corporate insurance policy specifically excludes weight loss surgery.

It's interesting when you tell them that you're a self pay. I had consults with Dr. Simpson in Phoenix and True Results in Scottsdale last year. Both will band you with a BMI of 30. No issues at all.

Dr. Kuri in Tijuana, $10,000 less than True Results, wouldn't band me. I found that interesting, too.

I am older than my sister. She has had no problems thus far and I am struggling not to be jealous as every time I see her she looks better and better. Tell me the hoops you have had to go through for the self-pay thing (if you don't mind) That is what is driving me crazy!

No hoops; just a check book!!

surprising it is actually cheaper if you are self pay: hopital and doctor gave me a break on the cost. All total pre exams, surgery, anesthesologist, and doctor came to $16,500.00 I have a low BMI and no comorbidities, so insurance won't pay. It is actually faster withut the insurance company involved. I went to the first information session mid-April, submitted papers to the doc; she approved it. Went to psych eval, nuritionist and sleep study (my insurance did pay for the sleep study - 2500.00) Once all the study reports were submitted, I had an appointment with the surgeon paid 175.00 at appointment time. They called the next week with a surgery date and said everything had to be paid one week prior to surgery. I called and paid over the phonw with my husbands American Express. Surgery date is July 16th. 3 months total.

I am blessed to have a very supportive husband. ( he told me to say he is handsome too!! He is silly)

What problems are you having?

That's great about your sister! And I'm a little jealous that you got to see the procedure. You'll be a lot less scared than many of us were getting up on the table before anesthesia.

Had I gone thru True Results, the process would have been just like lynlynkr's, give or take a week or so.

When I'd decided on a Dr. in Mexico, I told them I wanted a specific date (while my daughters were both at Girl Scout Camp).

There was a huge amount of paperwork, but with no co-morbidities and a low BMI, it was 3 weeks from "I need this week" to it BEING that week. Really fast. No sleep study required, no hoops. I guess it's the upside of being self pay.

They did the blood work, the pulmonary and EKG tests the morning before surgery.

Good luck with your journey! :)

Hi! I'm a low BMI also and not banded yet. I will also be a self pay so don't have to worry about any hoops.

I thought it would be easier to get a loan than this. I am a 39-year old professional women, never without a job, own our home, no car payments, no credit card debt, high average FICO score, and you would think that I'm living on the streets panhandling what with all the red tape I'm jumping through. I am very determined and my poor husband knows this! Poor guy! In the end, more often that not I get my way! I hate the way that sounds but it's true (red face) We are moving some money around in regards to refinancing our home and combining an existing home improvement loan to lower our payments. We figure we will free up about $300/month for a payment for this miracle procedure (better be!!!!) 15 minute lag here (phone)

Wow! You must be good luck! I just got a call from the bank that my doctor deals with. I am going through the pre-approval process! She (loan officer) said everything looks good with my credit and she sees no problems! YEAH! Can't stop smiling!!!