Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first fill, did your's happen the same way?

Today I got my first fill, quick and painless :tt1: My doctor scared me because he said on the first fill we do it a little different, we put the needle in and then have you sit up and then fill the band when your drinking Water until you can not drink anymore.

Let me say again IT WAS TOTALLY PAINLESS as he put the needle in and helped me sit up and then told me to start drinking Water, as I drank water with the needle hanging out of my stomach (little weird) he pushed in the fill until my chest started to hurt (not bad, but you could fill it) and the water stopped going down, then he said let me know when you feel the pain go away and the water go down. After having a short panic attack thinking :lol: OH MY GOD THIS HURTS AND THERE IS NO WAY I CAN LEAVE THE OFFICE LIKE THIS………The pain quickly went away and the water went down.

I ended up getting 3cc in a 10cc band. He told me that is the most they give at any fill appointment. He told me to come back Monday if I still feel hungry and if not come again in 2 weeks.

I like my doctor he doesn’t mess around with making you wait forever to get control of your hunger. He said he will get you to a good point by the end of 3 months out from surgery.

I’m excited :tt1: and scared :scared2:at the thought I got 3cc after reading the stuff on the board about people getting 1cc and having trouble. It’s all in my head because I feel fine, sitting here drinking ice water.

Anyone else get there first fill like me, sitting up and drinking water while the needle is still in your stomach?? Is it normal to get 3cc the first time??

Edited by LundyLane

Thank-you so much for writng about your fill. I get my first fill next week and heard you sit up with the needle in you and it kind of freaked me out a bit. So so happy to hear it was painless.

I don't even know how big my band is yet but I hope to remember to ask..

Thank-you again for your post...

JUST A LITTLE SCARED NOW! first fill friday---thanks, i am a bit more enlightened! will tell all immediately thereafter, i must admit, tho, i think i have a high tolerance for pain as i have several tattoos & piercings & i found them only "annoying", not extremely painful---

For real there was no pain at all, not even a pinch from the needle going in........Nothing.........Totally painless.

I was also scared before my 1st fill, however it was painless. My 1st fill was Monday and he put 2.6cc in my band. I'm still on liquids until 3pm today so we will see how much restriction I have when I eat dinner tonight.:tt1:

I had my first fill today too. it wasn't very quick as he had to poke around for the band a bit (it was weird because I could hear the needle scrape the band) but it was totally painless. Just took a lot longer than I expected. I also got 3ccs and have been making weird frog in my throat noises all afternoon lol. My coworkers cant stop laughing at me

Thats awesome that he doesnt make you wait so long my doc made me wait 6weeks between each fill. But yeah I had to do the Water thing to but my doc put so much in took out the needle and then made me drink--I like the way yours does it it sounds like you'll get closer to the sweet spot sooner that way!!!!

My 4 fills have gone exactly that way. Twice by fluoro, twice without. My Dr. did one stick which only hurt when he said the words "little pinch!" He found my port even though I have an usually deep port that is angled in an odd way. Then, he helped me sit up and I drank Water till it started backing up in my throat a bit.

I totally freak looking at needles to I never once looked down, only ahead/at my Water bottle/at my doctor. He was also intently listening to me drink because it was hard for me to tell if water was backing up or if I had swallowed air.

You're the first one I've noticed that had the same fill process as me! THanks for posting and good luck!

My fill was painless as well. However, my experience was really different. I was told to lay flat on the table then to raise both of my legs off the table to tighten my stomach muscles so that she could find the port. Once the needle was inserted in the port, she said that I could relax and lower my legs. Other than the weird feeling of doing a crunch in front of the doctor and nurse, it was easy! Got 2cc worth.

I just had my first fill. It was exactly the same. I sat up and drank till it went down. We had it at 5cc but the Dr. backed it up to 4cc to be safe for the first fill. I had a bit of a uncomfortable tight feeling for a few days, but it went away. I haven't had any problems with any foods I have tried and don't fill hungry.

I had my first fill June 24 with 2 cc placed in a 10 cc band. My fill was exactly the same, sitting up with a huge needle sticking out of my stomach. Freakin' weird! There was absolutely no pain at all (and I have a very low tolerance for pain). My doctor said to come back in a month if I haven't lost 6 pounds in that time. I'm calling tomorrow for that appointment already and see if I can get in sooner! I can still eat like a lumberjack! I felt the Water restriction during my fill in the office but not so much after. I know it may take a few more fills to get it right but I've had no weight loss since surgery. Sadly I've actually gained a few. I won't give up. My time will get here....just wish it was sooner than later!

I just went for my second fill yesterday. My doctor uses flouro and has me drink barium so he can see it go down. Then i drink Water and he asked me where i felt it. He had a hard time getting into my port and like one of the above posters i had to do a crunch to tighten the muscles for him to get in. He gave me a shot of lidocaine so it didnt hurt, but i am sore as heck today. He was really pushing hard. I had to sit up also. He usually pulls the needle out while you are sitting up but i asked if i could lay down first and it was much better, not so freaky!

I had 4cc in my first fill and another 1.4 yesterday for a total of 5.4 in a 10cc band. I had my surgery March 24 and I have lost about 25 pounds so far.

I had my 1st fill today. 2cc in 10cc band. Mine was the "lift your legs". Then I drank about 2oz before i left to make sure all was ok. I go back for another fill eval in 6wks. The only uncomfy thing was when he pushed to insert needle into my port.

Had a dumb question: What does "fluoro" mean? I had my first fill a week ago - 3cc - but I didn't sit up and I didn't drink anything while he did it. I just layed on my back, he numbed it and then filled it - no problem no pain. He did have me take a bottle of Water and sit in the waiting room for about 20 minutes while I sipped it. He said if I had any problems to let him know before I left.

Its not a dumb question! It just means fluoroscopy (or x-ray to me & you!) But its a continuous image, not just a snapshot like a conventional x-ray, so they can see how the band is performing before, during & after the fill. See this link on Wikipedia Fluoroscopy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They make you drink barium (which I have been told is quite nasty - I've been told to take a straw with me so it goes down easier, cos its thick & sticky!) so they can see how the band is performing.

I've got my first fill this way on Tuesday & not looking forward to it cos I'm a bit needlephobic!!

My consultant likes the first fill to be done this way, then makes minor adjustments in clinic (but will only add a maximum of 1cc at a time in clinic) Doing it under x-ray lets them put more in at a time, so hopefully less fills overall!

Hope that explains it. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Suzi ;0)