Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May walking challenge

OK, maggots, get out your pedometers! I have been sorta sluggish over the last couple of months, still recovering from back pain and sciatica. But I'm tired of sitting around. So I got new walking shoes and a new pedometer, and even though I'm still on the slow side, I am ready to rumble.

I'm thinking: let's try to walk 7500 steps a day for the month of May. Anyone with me? Check in at this thread any time. I will check in each Monday.

If you're looking for a low-tech way to get some exercise, this might work for you. And if 7500 steps seems too much -- that's a little over three miles a day with my stride -- do whatever you can. If you haven't used a pedometer, consider getting one; you'll be surprised at how much ground you can cover just by expanding your usual routine a little bit: walking up stairs instead of taking the elevator, for example.

I'm ready to break that 200-lb. barrier, and you undoubtedly have milestones of your own. So let's get a move on!

Sounds like a good challenge to me. Can you tell me where to get a pedometer and about how much it costs?

I'm with you, I accept the challenge of walking two-three miles every day, I'm tired of sitting on my fat ass and not doing something to get my weight loss going, if I'm going to get to my goal by the end of June, I must start walking... I get my tt on June 20, I set that as my goal date, if I don't get to goal, then I don't deserve to spend all that money on me. I want this so bad, so its time to prove how bad I want this, no more excuses. Can you all please keep me focused.. I can and will do this. Wish me luck.

I am SOOOOO IN!

Walking, I can do. I'm only 3 weeks out so no aerobics, but I CAN walk, and I have a pedometer. Not a great one, I'm sure. I got it at McDonalds when I bought a salad there last summer, I think. But it will do...

I'm not sure how many steps my stride will need to make three miles, but I'll count the steps and come up with something.

Let's DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

May 1st is SUNDAY!

Zoe: You KNOW I can't resist this challenge. I am so all over this one. LOL!!!!

Pedometers range from around $10 to $30. I got mine at Walmart. Just need one that counts steps and mileage and calories. Don't need a fancy one.

I will check in on Monday. (By the way, I start training for my Las Vegas Marathon on Monday too. So this will keep me motivated.)

Thanks Zoe

Sounds like a good challenge, I have been lagging in the exercise department and I have a brand new pedometer Inamed sent me in the mail. Maybe this challenge will help me get these last 10 lbs I have to lose to get to goal. Iam all in!

Great idea Zoe

I NEVER do exercise challenges (because I never exercise - HA!), but I really need this one. I love to walk. And I park extra far at the shopping stores just to get in extra steps... so, yep! Im a maggot. And Im ready for more!

Tanya, Estela, Kathy, Penni, Michelle, Paula: Thanks, ladies! Tanya, Penni's right about Wal-Mart; Target carries pedometers too, as do most places that sell athletic shoes. I got a Timex model for about $15.

I'm so glad you are going to be my walking buddies! Anyone else is welcome to join at any time. Penni, if you're training for the marathon, you will probably leave the rest of us in the dust -- but that's fine by me. I'm competing against my lazy-ass self.

Today I've walked 6,286 steps so far just running errands and taking the dog to the beach; by the time I walk to a friend's house for dinner, I should have at least 7,500. And it's not even May yet! Have a good weekend, everyone -- see you at the starting line on Monday.

You guys make me tired already! But I was just giving some thought to start walking in the evening at our local twp park. It has a mile track around it. With crappy knees I will start out at a 1/2 mile and work my way up. (My 78 yr old mom will wlk circles around me.) Thanks for the motivation!

I'm in too. I just started walking at a nature trail by my house. I started alone and now my sister and 2 friends come along. It is 1 mile at 3 times around. Pretty too. Thanks for the challenge. I have been hovering at 170 for a couple of weeks and will do anything to get to 169. I am going to get a pedometer today. Good luck everyone.

Okay, maggots!!!! I am so excited about this. Monday is check in day, but Sunday (that's tomorrow!!) is May 1st, so get yer butts movin! Nice start, Zoe, you have a good beginning. Let's do it!

This is such a great idea. I will put my pedometer on today to see how far I get just walking around the house (It's raining here on Long Island) but tomorrow I will get myself ingear and out the door.

Thanks for this challenge!!!!

Well, I promised to check in Monday, so here I am, reporting for duty. I went out of town this weekend and forgot to bring my pedometer! My best guess is that I fell short of my target by about 1/2 mile, or 1000 steps, yesterday, so I'll try to make it up this week. How's everybody doing with the walking on Day 2 of the challenge?

Day 2? I thought we started today. UGH!! Day late and a dollar short!!!

OK Pedometer on

Walking done

Steps completed: 7459

How is that for accuracy? LOL!!!