Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fourth Fill and Counting

I had my surgery March 19th and have lost 28 pounds since. However, most of my weight loss came from my pre-surgery fast and a month post-surgery. I have only been losing 1-1.5 pounds a week and some weeks nothing at all. I have indulged a few times with pizza and chinese, but ate half of what I normally would. The problem is that I still feel hungry and feel my portion sizes are quite normal. I am going for my fourth fill next week. They usually put in 1.5CCs. I am afraid to get more and than have too much restriction. I really want to lose 2-3 pounds a week. If I do cardio and weights 4 days a week and eat smaller sizes is that realistic for me. I was going to try and avoid exercise until I got under 200 lbs (I am at 226 right now)..................but weight loss is slow moving. Any other tips from you guys to pump up my weight loss?

Hi Jennifer. You know, I understand what you're going through, though I haven't had my band long enough to get a fill yet. I can't wait because I am hungry all the time. Bandster hell is right. I noticed the above statement in your post. That statement is part of the problem we all have... "what I would normally eat" is not normal for us anymore - and let's face it - it wasn't normal before surgery either! We didn't get fat eating normally!

If you can do the exercise then do it. At least walk. I'm having a hard time with exercise because of a brace on my leg and asthma that's currently kicking my butt, but I bought a set of bike pedals from Walmart online that I can use for my legs and my arms so that I can do at least some cardio exercise inside the house. If you do cardio and weights, then your metabolism will pick up. Muscle causes higher metabolism.

It's not a good thing to lose too fast. It's expected that we will lose 1 to 2 pounds per week with some weeks not losing at all. I would also say to take a look at what you're eating. I just basically decided that pizza is not something that I will ever eat again, because that's why I got the band - to help me learn to eat right.

I hope that things turn around for you, but please don't rush yourself! Eat healthy and exercise and soon we'll see less of you! :confused:

Barbara

Thanks for your support. I really need to go to a support group from bandsters too! That will help....................

Exercise will really help to bump up your weight loss. Is there a reason you're waiting to get under 200? I am exercising 4 days a week at my current weight, with good results. I was told to expect a loss of 1-2 lbs a week max after the band. That is all the Dr. wants you to lose, because it's better for you that way. I understand wanting to lose more, believe me! :confused: I hope that with exercise added in, that I'll be able to loose 2-3 some weeks. Good luck to you, whatever happens.

Hello .. I Would Suggest Walking At Least A Few Times Around The Block .. Ever Day .. It Works For Me .. Hopefully It Works For You ..

Good Luck And Dont Give Up ..

I know we all want the weight to just disappear, but it's unhealthy to lose more than 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a week. Sounds to me like you're doing fine. I have a friend who are banded in November, and he eats what I thought was a lot. A lot. But he's losing 1.5 a week and his doctor was thrilled and cancelled giving him another fill.

Why do people think that they have to be super tight and starve? The purpose of the band is to make us NORMAL. Normal portions. Normal rate of weight loss. Normal expectations of ourselves because before we all just wanted instant gratification, whether it was getting in the food, or the crazy dieting we did.

Relax. Enjoy the 1.5 a week. Add exercise not only for weight, but also for your heart.

Hi Ellie,

Wow, you're doing great. I had my first fill yesterday, and instead of the 4ccs he usually gives, I could only take 2cc. I see you had one- was that your first fill as well?

This is still so new to me. I'm feeling a lot of constriction but am told that this is normal the first few days and will soften. No wonder they tell you two days of liquids and then a couple of mushies after a fill.

Did you find it hard the first couple of days following one?

Are you in an area where you can ride a bike? It's great exercise, gets you outdoors, and can give you a great sense of accomplishment and wellbeing. I started riding a couple of years ago, and now I try to do 12 miles a day--about an hour. It definitely helps the weight loss. When you figure that's about 500 calories burned, you can see why it makes such a difference. Plus, I feel so good when I come in that I avoid food because I want to see the results of my work.

I know I didn't like the idea of everybody seeing the fat chick on the bike, but I'm not doing it for their view; I'm doing it for myself.

I am planning on going to the gym this weekend and start of slow - 20 minutes cross trainer and 10-15 minutes of weights. I did the math and in 12 weeks since the surgery I have averaged 1.3 pounds a week, which means i am on target. Exercise should pump up loss like you said. Hopefully my fourth fill will help too! Good bye pizza and Chinese for now.........................

I went in for my 4th fill last week, but I'm apparently losing "too well", and they asked me to take at least a week and log my food intake, try for Protein from a meat at every meal, and evaluate when I'm hungry by logging the times of day I'm hungry, and try to make changes. I hadnt realized it, because I've been messing with the same 2 lbs for the last 3 weeks, but I've lost 24 lbs in 2 months, and they prefer 7 lbs per month. So if you're not feeling restricted, etc, I'd recommend what they asked me to do. They will give me a fill, they just want me try this first, and you know, I've already realized I'm not always using real hunger as indictator, but head hunger instead. I'm actually going to put off my fill for more then they asked me to, as I really dont want to be overfilled if I can do this as the fill point I'm at.

Tina

I was banded on April 21st and have been very frustrated with the weight lost going up and down since. I lost a total of 12 lbs since surgery, but I'm having a hard time keeping it off. I go in on June 10th for my first fill and have been told by my dr that I'll be getting only 1cc in my 8cc band. I feel like I need my restriction so I can continue to lose weight and I'm worried that 1cc won't be enough......but then again I have had a few issues with eating to fast or certain food items (chicken breast) getting a little stuck:crying:, so I'm worried what it may be like after I get my 1cc fill.....maybe I'm trying to rush this to much and should be happy with the 1cc for now. Well, I guess I'll know by Tuesday, but then again some say that you may not feel the restriction for a couple weeks after the fill. :(

Reading all of what you guys experience really helps.....thanks so much for all of you who write on this website, it really helps all of us who are in the dark and have so many questions and concerns.:(