Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coughing and sliming all night...can't sleep

For some reason when I lay down to go to sleep all of a sudden I go into these coughing fits and then I just slim over and over again. This happening at least once a week:blink: Has anyone else experienced this?

I have only had one sliming experience. It happened the day after a fill, and I decided I was in too much of a hurry to cut my larger meds in half, and one of them got stuck. I was out the door on my way to work and I had to spit up twice before I got into my car. Everything I ate was giving me chest pressure, and I ended up meeting my surgeon at the hospital for a partial unfill. I was too tight.

If you have had a fill recently, the sliming could be from the band being too tight (perhaps the coughing too). I would suggest calling the surgeon's office and ask to speak to someone. My surgeon has a nurse who conducts classes prior to surgery, and she runs the support group. If yours has one, I would speak to her, and she can tell you if you need to see the surgeon. Don't let it go. Sliming is no fun, and I only did it once.

what you are describing is aspiration. Basically, you are coughing because the contents of your stomach are coming up when you lay down. If it isn't every night, you could try things like not eating after 6 or 7 pm ( a good number of hours before bedtime). You should probably talk to your surgeon about it if it suddenly came out of no where.

I had the same issue, but it was nightly. I was too tight, and with it I had reflux, gross! I had a little fill taken out and it is so much better. Nice to be able to sleep again.

Could you possibly have allergies? I just found out that if you have a cold or allergies that the opening of your band could be affected by the irritation of post nasal drip and mucus build up. Thus making you regur or slim :cursing: more than usual. See your Dr for an unfill until cold/allergies are gone.

Sounds like you are headed toward reflux. This is a sign of being too tight. I would have .2 or .3 taken out right away.

What is slimming? They need a dictionary on this site for all the acronyms.

Hi Pam! I don't know if this link will come through or not but this is where you can find all the abv. info. :(

Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum - FAQ: Lap-band Abbreviations

I have had a similiar issue. Since banding, I cough a lot. I had hernia repair during my banding and prior to banding had reflux. I was removed from Nexium after surgery. My nurse suggests that I have still have reflux and should go back on Nexium. I have not had my first fill yet. Hoping that this issue resolves as more weight is lost.

Tammy,

This is all interesting to me because I have a hiatal hernia and severe reflux.. was hoping to do away with the reflux meds once I stopped over eating.. how big was your hernia and what did they do to fix it?

Is it possible to have a hernia where the band goes so that you wouldn't be able to get banding?

so many questions lol

how big was your hernia and what did they do to fix it?

Is it possible to have a hernia where the band goes so that you wouldn't be able to get banding?

so many questions lol

Wicked,

Don't have many answers for you. I knew I had a hernia (medium size, according to another doc) prior to surgery and told the doc about it. He did an endo and told me "no big deal, I'll fix it." I do not know all the ins and outs of the repair but I do know I got the bill:smile:. I think every doc is different. Some are more willing to work with various sized hernias than others. Good Luck to you!

For some reason when I lay down to go to sleep all of a sudden I go into these coughing fits and then I just slim over and over again. This happening at least once a week:blink: Has anyone else experienced this?

I've had the same experience. Any fill of 1cc or more I cough phelm up all night. I then can't eat or drink and have to be adjusted. Once I was hospitalized for dehydration because of it and had to be completely opened for 3 months. I've been told it's from post nasal drip. I've lost about 65 lbs but am at a stand still. I'm afraid to go more than the 1cc.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches