Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thursday, June 5th...I'm sooo nervous!!! HELP!

Hi All,

Well, I've been on this site for a while now but this is my first actual post. I finally hit the required 15 lb weight loss that I needed to get booked for surgery a couple of weeks ago, quit smoking since Feb 25th, and I saw my Surgeon (Dr Nepomnashy, Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA) on Tuesday and he gave me the green light for June 5th (tomorrow!).

Like most of you, I've been overweight most of my life. I am 26 yrs old, 5'9, 252lbs and I'm really looking forward to having this done. I haven't told many people about it...just my hubby, immediate family and my boss. I really want to keep this private. But everyone who does know has been really supportive.

So I'm scheduled to arrive at 5:45AM for surgery at 7:30AM tomorrow morning and I've been sooo nervous since yesterday. Do I really want to go through with this? Am I going to regret this decision later? Am I going to FAIL? I think that's the part that's scaring me the most...getting the band and then FAILING. I just can't bare to hear anyone (my mom in particular) saying that even after getting banded that I failed because of lack of self control or whatever it may be. And then I've been reading about people getting the band removed due to erosion and gaining the weight back. I don't think I could stand to go through that!!

To top things off...a gastric bypass patient that I met through a friend just sent me this long email saying how LapBand is just a "GLORIFIED DIET" and that she knows over 100 ppl that are struggling with it! She thinks I'm making the wrong decision and now she's got ME thinking twice! I'm so aggravated!!!:ohmy: I really didn't need this right now...especially right before surgery!!!

I guess I'm looking for some words of encouragement from people who have been there, done that. I guess I'm just scared that I'm making the wrong decision. Did anyone feel this way before surgery? It's not the surgical part that's scaring me at all...it's the HUGE LIFE CHANGE AFTER or the possibility of failure! :cursing:

:biggrin:mekadig -

Congratulations on getting the green light for your surgery. :ohmy:

I will be banded on Friday, June 6th and am getting very nervous!

There is a lady here at work (whom I haven't told I'm getting the band) that had Gastric Bypass several years ago and she is SO ANTI-BAND! She nerver has anything positive to say about it and is always (what I believe) making up stories about people she knows with the band that have had nothing but problems and don't loose any weight with it. She claims she has never heard of a 'success' story from lap-band patients! I plan to prove her WRONG!

Don't listen to what the gastric patients is telling you... if you believe that you will succeed.. than you WILL SUCCEED! :cursing: Think positive thoughts... we're all going to be successful!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

~Marie~

Marie,

I am going to be banded tomorrow as well...so I totally understand the nerves! Yesterday was worse than today in that regard. I felt teary and just an emotional wreck. However, I have no doubt that I have made the right choice. I am sure there are cases where gastric bypass might be a better option but not for most of us. It's been the surgery of choice in Australia and England for years! We won't be malnourished for the rest of our life and our body parts are all intact. That's enough reason for me! I am at peace that it will take time and hard work. I think we will be just great after we get past the surgery tomorrow.

Just remember you are not alone. Lots of of will be in the same "place" tomorrow and we are all here to help support one another. Take care and check back in when you can.

Hugs and good thoughts...

Don't listen!

• If the band didn't work, would insurance companies pay for it?

NO :cursing:

• If the band didn't work, would there be so many people on this site with 100 lb weight losses?

NO :ohmy:

So! :Dancing_sad: go for it! It isn't as invasive, but we will have to work! that is ok! We will be healthier for it! Imagine getting sick later in life and not being able to absorb the nutrients you need! That won't happen with the band, they just do an unfill and your good to go!

Congratulations on the choice you made! I think it is the right one!:Dancing_hmm:

Mekadig,

I could've written your post almost word for word. Having surgery tomorrow as well. Having the EXACT same fears and thoughts. I fought so hard for this surgery and now second thoughts. Didn't make sense, but I think it's normal. My biggest fear is of failing as well, but this is different than every other diet you've tried. You still have to do the work, the band can fail if you don't, it's tool and if you use it correctly you will succeed. I had a similar experience last night about bypass patients badmouthing the band and it was at my dr.'s support group meeting. When I told him about it at my pre op this morning he wasn't happy and wants me to email him the details. The support group was for all weight loss patients, just so happens this one (went because it was last night and I just needed support because of all these thoughts) had mostly bypass patients. The normal facilitator was ill so there was a sub that wasn't a trained facilitator. She let a couple loud mouths totally take over the meeting. And they were saying how you couldn't be as successful with the band, you'd regain your weight, and could cheat around it. Well DUH!! you can't do that with the bypass? There was a man there at least 400 lbs that had bypass in 2002 and did just that, and regained all his weight. I chose the lap band because it was less invasive, I could always get a fill or unfill as needed for years to come. Remember you made this decision when you were more rational (by that I mean not the day before surgery and having all sorts of thoughts), you researched it, and more than likely had to fight for it. You chose it for a reason, remember those reasons and try and let the fear go. I say this for my own benefit as well. Good luck tomorrow!!

Mekadig..wishing you luck tomorrow. I will be banded on the 17th and those exact feelings hit me two days ago. They have passed. I had a friend freak out (had not told her about LB b/4 last Sat.) this weekend about me having this surgery. Got the big ole' lecture. I think that's what set off my anxiety attack. But, did a lot of thinking and I am sure of my decision to have the LB and have been sure for over a year now. These types of feelings hit and you just need to calm yourself the best you can.

I wish you luck with your recovery and LB future. The lap band will work if you help it along. God Bless.

Apples!!!!!!!!! I am glad to hear from you, I haven't seen post by you much lately, maybe I have just missed them. Just one more day for me!

Apples!!!!!!!!! I am glad to hear from you, I haven't seen post by you much lately, maybe I have just missed them. Just one more day for me!

I am only home about three days a week. I spend Thursday noon through Monday morning at my lake place from April through end of October. Just bought a lap top and need to get set up at the lake. I guess I have missed posting lately on this thread for some reason. Are we going to make this thread the "go to" for checking in and following up?

I didn't notice you were so close to your surgery date. Want to wish you luck and God Bless. Hope your recovery time is easy and that your lap band life is successful. Thank you for keeping the Jazzy Junes together and motivated.

I am on my second day of my 14 day pre-op diet. (all liquids) I will have to say that I am a BOW (bitch on wheels). I just pop in and out of home. When I feel the BOW feeling...I head back to the lake!:angry:

Thank you all for your support! I am off to bed...I have to be at the hospital at 5:45am for surgery!!! Yay!!! I'm past the fear now...now I'm just excited!!!!!!!! Best of luck to all of you angels!!! And thanks for your wishes...I'm sure we'll all be fine!! I will post back on Friday when I get home to let you all know how it went!!

Hugs to all of you!!!

~Hilda

Hi, just wanted an update on how your surgery went. I am getting banded on the 13th and am also having doubts, fears, etc. I think that is normal. And, even if this is a "glorified diet", at least it will be a tool to be successful that I never had before.

Karen

I am ready for surgery tomorrow! :confused:

Apples: I never did find that lake house or a beach house at Walmart, KMart or Target! :thumbup: I guess if Sears doesn't have one I will just have to settle for my sister's pool. LOL

I will be back soon to tell my battle stories! :wub:

I am ready for surgery tomorrow! :confused:

Apples: I never did find that lake house or a beach house at Walmart, KMart or Target! :thumbup: I guess if Sears doesn't have one I will just have to settle for my sister's pool. LOL

I will be back soon to tell my battle stories! :wub:

Cathy...thinking of you today and EVERYONE else being banded today. Hope everything is going good.

About that lake house...I think they must be all sold out. When you are feeling better, just haul A$$ to Minnesota and I will share!:laugh:

Mekadig & Mamamarie,

I have to put my two cents in. As far as gastric bypass you don't necessarily lose weight on that either!

I have two friends who had it done about 8 years ago. One of them is doing terrific! She does exactly what she is supposed to do and exercises also. She has dropped over 100 lbs. The other one, who had it done, is the SAME weight if not BIGGER than when she had it done. She has stretched her "pouch" to enable her to eat more food than she should be able to. :lol:

She has not followed any requirements that she was supposed to. If we go out, her lunch is an appetizer of nachos with meat and is able to eat it all. So, you may want to share that with "your friend!" :tt2:

It all depends on the person. I think. If you're not mentally ready, I don't think anything will work. I am scheduled for the 20th of June for surgery and plan on sticking with the guidelines and losing the weight.

Don't listen to the negativity of some people. :lol:

Only YOU know what you are capable of doing! Best of luck to you all!:wink2:

I am one day out from surgery, and I feel great for someone that had surgery less than 24 hours ago. I won't say I'm feeling no pain, but I am feeling a lot less pain than I had thought I would, so that's good. Everything went great, the dr. found a small hiatal hernia while he was in there and fixed that as well. I struggled a little at first upon waking up. I think they just had me up so fast to go do the swallow xray. Also I got these shakes/shivers from the anestesia, she put some demerol in my IV and I was good about 15 min. later. I felt like a new person and couldn't wait to come home. I came home about 630 last night, surgery was at 1. I didn't need the recliner, I slept in my bed and even on my side. Today I am doing my drinking every 15 min. trying to figure out if I am getting the right amount of protien.

By the time I left for the hospital yesteray, I was real calm, I had felt good about my decision, put the naysayers out of my mind. When they came and got me to change into my 'designer hospital gown' I got a little nervous and cried a little when they made me say good by to my husband and daughter. I remember waking up with 2 thoughts on my mind: 1) am I supposed to be awake? LOL and 2) Yipee it's over!! I'm on the other side now and banded!

Just got through reading this entire thread and Mekadig also captured my thoughts exactly with how I am also feeling. I get banded on Monday, June 9th and I had a little melt down yesterday with the same questions of doubt with going through with this, regret and failure. I have not shared my surgery with anyone but my husband. I am very private and don't want to deal with the negatives. All my

family and friends are thin and they just wouldn’t understand.

So today I'm feeling a little better. Took a drive to my lake house for some relaxation for the weekend to get prepared for this. I know I have made the right decision and am looking forward to this journey and the new thinner version of me.

Long2BThin ~ I am happy to hear your surgery went well. I am hoping I have as great of an experience as you did.