Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Jodi - loved your newsy post. After spending time with you, I feel your energy, as I read about your life. Such a loving mother and gentle spirit.

Karen - good luck with your storage project for DS. Our DS will be coming from Nevada later this month, and altho we didn't share their stories, I feel we will help them in the same ways.

LauraK - 4 pm date will be interesting. All of us married gals enjoy hearing about them.

Time to get busy. Enjoyed the park yesterday - might have to go back.

Hi gang! I am just back from church. I had to greet today so I stay late to say goodbye and hold the door. I love my church job. I get to meet so many peeps.

Jodi, it is so neat to read your posts now and hear your New York accent in my head. Whatever! lol.....love it!

Apples, Oh my, four mattresses high......are you having a Princess sleep over? I know about that cramming and jamming......I have a 13 point deer head staring me in the face every time I open my guest bedroom door. My DS shot that in Nebraska last year......his pride and joy so we couldn't put it in the garage. If he moved out.....why is his crap still here?

LauraK.....we wanna hear all about it....date? meet?

Linda.....Congrats! on the health report....awesome!!!

Okay, I have to meet a couple of girlfriends from church this evening for dinner. One of them had bypass last March and has lost over a hundred lbs. Dr. Robert Davis is her surgeon. Anyway, tomorrow I am gonna start posting my food and exercise so y'all can make me accountable. I will not be offended if you ride my A$$ cuz I know you care.

Have a great day!!!!

Lori and Eva......missing ya!!!

Happy Sunday.............. Our church got moved to 10:30 on Labor Day weekend, so by the time we drive back to town and stop to eat it's already 1:00......but it's nice to get to sleep in on Sundays now... Our pastor serves 2 churches and we switch back and forth..... It's another lovely day here.... 10-10-10 and our grass is still green and growing... DH is mowing the yard now....

I had a better night last night.... Had medium pain about 8:30, but the pills handled it and I went to bed at 11:30 and woke at 5:00..... Went to sit in my chair and watch TV but got tired so slept until 9:00 when DH woke me up.... Maybe this tens unit will actually help me.... I'm crossing my fingers.... Yesterday I got the wedding cakes baked and in the freezer... Will frost them a couple days before the wedding... I'm happy to have that much done... What I really need to do now is clean my house a bit..... It's out of my comfort zone, but I just haven't had the energy to clean...... at least have to swiffer my floors.....

Laura K, you just keep doing what you are doing and the right man is going to find you.... I'm sure of it.... We'll be making one of our LB sister's trips to your wedding one day.....

Arlene, I sure do love you and wish you well, but I for one, will not be kicking your butt.... I'll leave that for Janet.... I eat the wrong things too often.... When do we find out about Jakobs baking and such??

Jodi, you just keep being you... If you want to post it we will read it..... I'm agree that it is so fun now to hear you in my head now when I read..... Congrats on putting the big clothes out and getting new ones that fit well.... You look amazing.....

Linda, good work on the health numbers..... It shows, too.. How is the hip treating you these days...?

Joyce, how is the everything going??? I did not receive anything from you yet............. and I promise that we are way past Pony Express here in ND...... Maybe tomorrow's mail will bring them....

Apples, that is a big job you have for yourself.... Is your son helping???? Try to enjoy your day.... Is it nice there, too?

Melissa, have you asked your husband to be more discreet with his smacks so it doesn't get to you so much... Maybe he doesn't realize how tempting it is.... My husband is a junk food junkie.... Nuts and candy all the time, oh and chips, too.... But I've gotten to the place that it doesn't tempt me anymore.... Or I might just have a bite of something.... I hope you can conquer it soon....

Well, I think I'll have a Sunday nap...... then do whatever comes up later...... Love and hugs to all.... Julie

Jodi,

Walking is some of the best exercise you can do. I wouldn't feel too guilty about missing any of the trainer stuff.

Melissa, I hate to say it, but your mother was maybe saying what you needed to hear. You can choose to be hurt or you can choose to remember that running is very hard on the joints, especially for women, no matter what their age, and especially if you're still overweight and out of shape. Walking is just as good for you and is much easier on the joints.

I speak as one who's had double knee replacements and will never run again unless its an emergency. If you'd seen me in Vegas, you'd know that I'm in great shape and I mostly walk, do some stair climbing at work, occassionally dance or swim, and never go to the gym. However, with the weight off, I'm naturally much more active and that helps, too. You risk injury that could set you way back and even contribute to emotional eating if you go straight to running.

As far as your eating is concerned, you know what you have to do. As a diabetic, you know more than anyone that the sweets are killing you. Pray that God makes you willing to do what you need to do. Until you are desperate enough to totally turn your will over into God's and become willing to do whatever it takes, not much is going to help.

For me, getting the band was my way of submitting my will and using one of the best tool's God gave me to jumpstart and help maintain eating right.

You got the band but you haven't been willing to submit to the rules governing the band that make it an effective tool. Even the cost of the band has not been enough of an incentive.

I don't want you to beat yourself up because of this, because that just leads to more emotional eating. You just aren't ready yet. Pray that God will make you ready. But be prepared; he sometimes comes up with some drastic measures to make us willing. And we can't blame him, because mostly he allows the consequences of our own actions to do most of the teaching.

For me, borderline diabetes and continual arthritis pain were the clinchers. Ask yourself, what will it be for you? How much more damage are you willing to submit your body to?

From your posts, you seem like you might have ADHD. You might be where your son got it from. As you know, so do I. Studeies show that those of us who have it have a much harder time with successful weight loss. Eating is one of the ways we control our ADHD. Sometimes, you have to get treatment for the ADHD before you can be successful with weight loss.

What works for other people doesn't always work for us. I, for example, do not journal my food. I can't remember what I ate 5 minutes after I've finished, and I'd lose a journal within days. Just the thought of trying to do that makes me want to eat. I am totally incapable of being anal about anything, much less food. However, I did write a blog until I reached goal, and after that I posted on this thread regularly.

I asked my husband to hide his food and to eat it in another room. Or I got up and left the room. At work, find ways to pace while you work. Portable headset for phonecalls? Get up and go the washroom when they argue. Go back and walk the aisles of the warehouse and learn the inventory. As long as you have the headset on you shouldn't be stuck at the desk. Take frequent Water breaks or fetch a cup of coffee. Water bottles at your desk don't allow you to get up and move around. My most creative ideas come when I'm wandering. Think about solutions to some of the companies problems. Explore websites of similar companies. Become a resource and an expert on what your company offers.

Start a gratitude journal. Start writing out pats on the back for what you did that day. Write yourself affirmations and post them and repeat them frequently. During a very difficult time of my life, I used to go on walks and to the beat of my footsteps I would say, "I am somebody, I am worthwhile, I am somebody, I am God's child." I quite literally drummed that into my head.

Live in the moment. Easy to say but think of it this way, "Do the next right thing." What is the baby step, task, or reponsibility that you need to take care of right now? If the problem or task or responsibility seems insurmountable, determine a place to start and a small first step and then do it. I love this saying: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. And remember to keep those bites small so you don't (metaphorically) pb.

Remember, I've had 17 years of Alanon and 10 years of Overeater's Anonymous and 5 years of counseling to help me eat as much of life's elephants as I already have.

So take a deep breath, let it out slowly, and take your first small bite. Give yourself a pat on the back. Thank God for that bite. Remember to affirm that you can do it. And then take the next bite.

OK. That's enough of an epistle. Digest it slowly. Choose not to take offense. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Cheri

Cheri.......Awesome advice! I think I am ADD. I don't want to say I am ADHD because I am anything , but hyper. You have to take the baby steps first. My steps in exercise was walking......now Water aerobics, walking, and weights. I agree about getting a handle on the attention deficit before weight loss. There is a fairly new book out on that subject. I saw the doctor on TV. Do you take medicine for ADHD? I know my sister is ADHD. She is a hoarder. Not quite as bad as the tv show, but if she doesn't get some help soon I fear she is heading in that direction. It doesn't help that her son and husband have attention deficit too. They never put anything away, so she spends her day picking up after them. By the time she finishes she is too tired to work on the two rooms that houses all her stuff. You cannot walk in them. She promised me that after she got back from her back to back cruises she would get help. I think they cruise so they won't have to deal with their chaotic home. Oh well, I gotta work on my on issue......obesity, and the real reason I got this way.

Cheri - Right on - Like I said in Vegas you are our resident book of knowledge on a multitude of stuff.. ... You have had tons of life experiences !!!

Apples - I think I would rent a storage unit and cram the stuff in their - I still have a few things in the garage when the kids moved - for some reason they never take it.. I guess they like junking up my house instead of theirs..

Julie - I am sure I have mention it before my friend at work has a tens unit - she wears it everyday - it's for that muscle pain you have - it helps her - she can't live without..

Charlene... Ok Girl - On your A$$ ;o)

Back from gym - had some couple bite of hamburger - cuz I was hungry didn't want to eat too much cuz Andrew & I were suppose to go out to lunch - then he calls - it's now dinner ;0) he would have gone earlier - lhe said I know you like to do things earlier (I guess he paid attention to my habits) - I said then why don't we make it dinner ;0) - so 6 is our date time ;0) - so had some popcorn - watched Blue Bloods (I love this show) and a cat nap - now drinking coffee - gotta finish wash then watch this weeks blue bloods ;0)

Cheri...no one here could have said it better. For being ADHD, you sure have your thoughts in order.

Melissa....print off Cheri's post and keep it with you. She was tough, yet kind and so many things for you to think about. You gotta hit that point where you start to work with your band again.

Janet....no problem with DS's stuff. Got it all figured out and in the house. We were able to find places for it where it is out of sight, out of mind. I am working on washing all his bedding, towels and some of his clothes. Tuck them all away and when he is set up in his apt., we will move it all his way.

Have a nice date with Andrew. He loves his GM!

In between the moving I found time to do the dusting and vacuuming and sweeping of the entire house. Even got two of the bathrooms spic and span and got a few windows cleaned. Even found time to do something I have been wanting to do for awhile. Since oldest DS owns his own home, his bedroom in the basement has been sitting empty for 5 years. I had a friend that had a clothing store and went out of business. I bought a few of his racks and today I made a HUGE walk-in closet out of that room. It's so cool. I'm so happy with it. And, no, I'm not doing speed, just a lot of excess energy today. I am happiest when I am working. So, I'm very, very happy today.

Julie...your questions...DH helped me moved all the furniture and belongings to the house. Took us about 5 hours but got it done. A good workout and feels good to have it all in place without junking up our living space.

Yes, it's a beautiful day here today. Has been for the entire week. I am hoping it holds. Even have had the air on this last week.

Could it be that your tens machine will do the trick for you????? Would be so nice if it gave you some relief.

Well, better get back after it. DH ran up to the lake with a happy dog beside him to take the awnings down and drain the Water heater and finish the winterizing. We will be back there b/4 we know it. Corn harvest to come, after that prepare for the holidays, heading south earlier than normal this year and might just stay till mid-March. We are able to open up the lake place (usually) by the second or third week of April. Depends on the snow and cold. But, most years it works.

Back at it. Want to finish up a few things b/4 I drop to the couch. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Arlene,

You may have noticed some of my restlessness in LV. I kept stating that I needed to get out of the hotel and see some of the sights until that could be arranged. Jodi, who may also be ADHD, agreed to go with me and that suited her better than sitting around in hotel rooms also. I also spent a lot of time Saturday outdoors by the pool.

So, although I have at times been on meds, I have worked very hard on compensating techniques that allow me to be me and to meet my own needs. I have designed my job so that I am not the one to do the paperwork, which overwhelms me, and my assistant does those things I'm not good at. I have increased the number of students I see in order to pay for having an assistant. The more contacts I have, the more NCLB pays into my program.

I also acknowledge the gifts that go with my version of ADHD, like the creativity and writing skills that I put to use in raising money for the school.

I'm a big picture person and am able to see where RCS needs to go to be successful and come up with ideas to get us there. I see what training the teacher's could use to help them deal with our student clientelle more effectively and I use the public funds offerred to bring in that training. Before, we never used those moneys.

I take care of myself with my walking and stair-climbing and by singing in my two choirs. This challenges my brain and develops my gift as I am currently doing more reading of hgihly complex music with complex harmonies and counter melodies and difficult rythyms and working on tonal quality and blending in with a large choir. Doing the contemporary and Gospel helped train my ear even more and developed my lead voice skills and improvisational skills.

I consider my flexibility to also be a gift of ADHD and use it all the time to get through my complex schedule and stay fresh for whatever comes up with the kids.

I also have a mantra that runs through my head. When something occurs to me or I see it, take care of it right away or I'll forget. If I can't do it right away, I mention it to my husband or to my assistant. Frequently, they do it for me or set it up so I can do it. I write reminder notes to myself on the back of my hand. I wear a watch that's waterproof and 10 minutes fast so I can wear it to bed and in the shower because once off, I forget to put it on. The 10 minutes gives me an adrenaline jolt that helps keep me on time.

I've learned that I do not have to be all things to all people, so I'm not scattered in a million different directions. Church service, my kids and grandkids take priority on the weekends if I'm needed, and RCS takes priority during the week. Exercise, choir, and lapband thread I do for myself. I watch a few favorite TV shows, and try to get 8 hrs of sleep.

I seldom talk on the phone and never text. I don't do housework or grocery shop and I only prepare simple meals like throwing fish or a burger or other piece of meat in the pan and a veggie in the pressure cooker. I do my own laundry, my husband does his own and the sheets and towels. I don't entertain hardly at all. I only go to grandkids events on the weekends. Once in a while on weekends I get together with siblings and parents but none of us are at each other's beck and call.

I have a couple people I confide in at work and I have you. I don't do any other activities at my church. I used to be a churchaholic but I gave that up for Lent and neve got back into it. I stopped rescuing people and started letting them figure things out for themselves.

Once in a while I just can't help it, and I'll write an epistle on lapband thread where I'll share my experience, strength, and hope with people who might actually get something out of it, and if they don't, oh well. I don't have to live with them or be with them frequently. I can be so reticent with giving my kids advice that sometimes they actually ask for it. Ain't that a kick in the pants.

Choir and a good sermon once a week really feed me spiritually as do the devotions the faculty has once a week.

So, over all, I've become a fairly well-rounded person who is mostly sane inspite of having ADHD. ADHD is a fact about me, but it does not define me. I take it into account, but it does not rule my life.

How's that for a long answer to a short question?

Cheri

Makes sense to me, Cheri. I do understand where you are coming from with your statement about being well-rounded and mostly sane even though you are faced with challenges on many different things.

Growing up I had horrific/terrifying things that I had to endure. I made a promise to myself early on in life that I would make my adult life, my children's lives, our family life as normal as possible. It was very difficult at times to keep it all going and felt extremely overwhelmed at times. But, I think I was able to accomplish what I set out to do.

We all have our challenges in one form or another. Not letting them get the best of you, positive thinking and setting your sights on the future (and faith) is what gets a person to where they want to be....maybe a little frazzled...

ok guys~

Just another sort of fly by. I did read the posts. You busy girls! I love hearing all the advice/stories/ways we help each other through our own experiences. That's what this is all about. I know you all have helped me with more than just my band! I love and need the tough love from the mentors. Don't know what I would do without you guys.

Julie~ So glad to hear the tens unit is helping! Hope it continues to be! Nice to hear the wedding cakes are done! wow

Apples~ Just reading your post made me tired. LOL. I let the house "go" this weekend and just enjoyed the time with Nelson. Plenty of spare time this week to get it all done. Glad to hear you got the DS stuff squared away.

Janet~ Hope you had fun entertaining and visiting. How's your friend doing? (the JW) I am sure she knows about this- that there are special hospitals that cater to their blood beliefs. They keep special products on hand that they are allowed to use. Nice you are keeping in touch with Andrew.

Jodi~ You sound so busy! I have also heard nothing but amazing things about you (and others) after your get together in LV. I hope to meet you in the future.

Lori~ Welcome back from Maine. Saw the FB pics! Looked amazing!

Cheri~ What smart posts! LOVE it! So true for all of us, regardless if there is a diagnosis or not.

Arlene~ Loving your posts lately! You seem to be in such a good place. So happy and positive! Glad you enjoyed church and your friends. : )

LauraK~ Seems all us old married gals are living vicariously through you! Keep up the good work!

LadyKC~Sounds like you had a nice weekend too. : )

Melissa~ Agree with all Cheri said. Hang in there. It will all work out- just gotta DO IT. (I sound like a Nike commercial!)

DH is safe and sound with his family overseas. It was a very emotional reunion! He seems to be having fun, seeing his old stomping grounds and eating tons of good soul food. : ) I think the stress of the first day is over and now he can just enjoy seeing everyone. I was able to talk via video conference call on skype today with him and his siblings! It was so very cool to "meet" the rest of his family! His mom wasn't there but he promised to get her to the hotel one day while he's there so she can see Nelson and I. He took lots of photos for us. His mom let him too (she hasn't allowed a photo taken of her in the last 10 years or so). I want to talk to him more- but understand he is so so so busy! We will have plenty of time to go over everything when he returns. I know when I am just in NC, I barely have time to sit and chitchat on the phone. We miss him but are doing good. More than good, great!

Nelson and I had a great mommy and me weekend! Slumber parties, sheet tents in the living room, him cooking dinner last night. (scrambled eggs and waffles) I think all the preparation we did with him was worth it. He is handling this so well.

I need to go get the little monster ready to wind down for bed. TTYL............peasout... Laura

Melissa, have you asked your husband to be more discreet with his smacks so it doesn't get to you so much... Maybe he doesn't realize how tempting it is.... My husband is a junk food junkie.... Nuts and candy all the time, oh and chips, too.... But I've gotten to the place that it doesn't tempt me anymore.... Or I might just have a bite of something.... I hope you can conquer it soon....

Well, I think I'll have a Sunday nap...... then do whatever comes up later...... Love and hugs to all.... Julie

Julie - that has to be hard to live with someone who is a junk food junkie. I guess my DH has phases sometimes he has gone on Junk food shopping sprees to replenish his stash for the most part the stuff is in a drawer in his office but others are in the fridge or cabinet. Sometimes I don't even care its there and other times I think about it.

Cheri - Thank you for your advice alot of it make sense and you gave me alot of information to digest. I guess physically I want to be where I was when I was 17 - 18 playing soccer and loving being active now I am the exact opposite. I am 34 and feel fat and ugly. I had lost 60 pounds and now regained some. I go to my Diabetic Dr this week she will not be happy with me but it is my grave I am digging and I got to get my head around this to STOP!!!

Cheri......thanks for sharing your life with us. You are such a bubbly person. I just loved watching you dance.

Apples....I hear ya on trying to make things normal. Living with an alcoholic made things predictably chaotic. I promised myself that my kids would have a sense of normalcy, but I didn't know what normal was other than" Leave it to Beaver". You know that wasn't real, but that is what I thought was real. Oh well, all in all, my kids turned out pretty good......except for inheriting my bad eating habits.

Janet.......Whoa Hass! Don't get on my A$$ today. I didn't eat right today or exercise. Tomorrow......then you can stay on me. Water aerobics in the morning. I am sitting my GS too. We should find out tomorrow if he placed in the baking.

Laura.....glad you got to hear from DH. I bet he is having a wonderful time. Post a pic if you can.

Melissa......you are a beautiful woman. Take it from us old farts......we all wish we had lap band ten years earlier. You have an awesome opportunity to turn it all around before you are forty.......baby steps......one day at a time!!!

Thank You everyone for your thoughts prayers and encouraging words. You are right I can turn this around Baby steps.

Hey Gang

Back from my date w/Andrew - How come we (me) still want to order food w/my old brain - I wanted a taco enchillada rellono - I know i can't eat it all - but I wanted a bite of taco a little enchillida and some relleno - well that's what I ordered but the lady didn't here the taco - so got enchillada & relleno r/b - ate halft the enchillada - few bites of rice and Beans - will have lunch & dinner for tomorrow ;0) -

Charlene - I know tomorrow ;0)

Laura - Glad DH is enjoying his time w/family :0) Soul food lol

Apples - you did all that today - hell all I did was gym - wash - nap - computer & t.v. and emptied the dish washer ;0)

Cheri - you seem very normal to me :0)

Well work tomorrow - got 4 more shows to watch before the recorder starts again - (don't have time during the week to watch it all)

Sweet Dreams....