Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi Janet and everyone--

I get my first fill on Friday and looking forward to it. I have lost nearly 18 lbs since June 10th and hope that once I get a fill the weight will come off a little faster. I have been exercising 3 times a week--just moderate but to me it is hard. I seem to have some restriction now but I am thinking it may be that I am not chewing my food enough and it just seems like I am full. I have not thrown up at all but do have a lot of internal burping. I use www.dailyplate.com each day and just got a congratualtory notice for using it for 30 consecutive days. It is a very big help in educating me on the calories of something and to help monitor what I am eating and helping me understand better choices. Everyone should use it or one similar. Two more days and then my fill!!! Thanks for all your encouragement!!

Hello - I'm new to this but have been reading everything I can. One question I have is how soon can I travel after surgury? I travel for work and have arranged to be home for 2 weeks post surgury (on 7/24). But will need to travel on or around 8/6. Any issues with that? Thanks in advance for the response!

Katarina

Katarian - oh I forgot to look to see if your age is posted - but hecke we are all diff anyway - I have read were some 25 are down for a few week and pple like me 52 when I was banded was back at work day 6 (desk job) some say planes tighten their bands- I was on puddle jumper a few weeks back and had no problems - agian our fickle bands - It all depends on your physical activity and how well you deal with the pain of surgery - port site hurts the longest and that's really a discomfort and last about 2 weeks.

I need some support. I just got banded yesterday 7-22, I was told to drink 1/2 gallon of liquid over the day. Can I drink more than 1/4- 1/2 cup at a time? Any feedback for the day would be helpful.Other than that feeling good. Trying to keep up walking around the house.

Puterlady - you are suppose to take small sips - just tons of them :) no more guzzling Water ... I am suppose to drink 64 oz of Water a day - I don't know how many oz in a half gallon - I drink 4 16oz waters a day..

Indiogirl55,

I like my food a little spicy so here is what I do in a one pot wonder (great name for the recipies).

chicken, yellow & green squash, onions, bells, mushrooms (I like the mushrooms from a can), Tomato sauce, chicken or ground turkey, and red pepper. I cook everything the same way you do, but the red pepper gives me the spice I like.

I do a Breakfast one that is good also:

Turkey sasuage, onions, spinach, greated cheese, frozen chopped hashbrowns, one carton of egg beaters. Cook the turkey sasuage and onions together. Spray a square pan. Stir together all the ingredient, pour in a pan and bake at 350. If you like a little kick add hot sauce or red pepper to the mixture or top with hot sauce aftere it is baked. Cut into small squares and you have breakfast on the go.

I use jalepenos in my one pot wonders or elpato sauce - I think I just omitted that cuz some can't take spicy - Yep I thought my one pot wonder was a cleaver name :0)

Hi Janet and everyone--

I get my first fill on Friday and looking forward to it. I have lost nearly 18 lbs since June 10th and hope that once I get a fill the weight will come off a little faster. I have been exercising 3 times a week--just moderate but to me it is hard. I seem to have some restriction now but I am thinking it may be that I am not chewing my food enough and it just seems like I am full. I have not thrown up at all but do have a lot of internal burping. I use www.dailyplate.com each day and just got a congratualtory notice for using it for 30 consecutive days. It is a very big help in educating me on the calories of something and to help monitor what I am eating and helping me understand better choices. Everyone should use it or one similar. Two more days and then my fill!!! Thanks for all your encouragement!!

Jill - I am so glad that you are doing well That's really great to hear 18 Lbs - way to go... Yes exercise is hard at first - but just keep pluging along and you will become a gym rat like me :lol: I'm not really a gym rat - but I don't hate exercise like I use to...

Yep tracking your food is KEY !!!!! We have to learn what a portion is and how many calories are in whatever we are eat.... I truly beleive this helped me in acheiving my goal weight..

Ok gang - I will be gone Friday til Monday going to meet some of my Lucky #7 gang at the Mall of America for a girls weekend (5 of us) and I have been super busy at work and bushed at night so I am sorry for not being here too much this week..

I will ck back tonight and then tomorrow night before I go... If you have any questions that need an immediate answer - you can p.m. my band daughter salsa1877 or ask true2self since she is a long time bander and is back on track :biggrin2: and either one will be able to help you...

Well I gotta get my but back to work... I will talk to you all later :frown:

Well Indio I hope you have fun at Mall of America and seeing all of the Lucky 7's. I weighed today and was down 1.8 since last Wednesday. I was glad about that but I am hungry. Today I had coffee, bullet, cottage cheese, applesauce then by supper I was starving. I decided to test the waters (first time). I ate a full dinner. I made pork loin barbecue on Buns, salad and fresh corn on the cob. I myself had a small barbecue on light wheat bread, half corn off cob and a salad but I ate more tonight than I ever have, meaning 3oz meat half cup corn, half cup salad. I finally feel satisfied. I think I ate way more than a lap bander should be able to soooo I am thinking that I am going to need a fill soon. Everything went down fine. Does it sound like I am not restricted any longer? I have been hungry for several days now. I think I can eat anything now even though I am trying hard to behave. Tell me what you think?:)

Beckyo:tt1:

Well Indio I hope you have fun at Mall of America and seeing all of the Lucky 7's. I weighed today and was down 1.8 since last Wednesday. I was glad about that but I am hungry. Today I had coffee, bullet, cottage cheese, applesauce then by supper I was starving. I decided to test the waters (first time). I ate a full dinner. I made pork loin barbecue on Buns, salad and fresh corn on the cob. I myself had a small barbecue on light wheat bread, half corn off cob and a salad but I ate more tonight than I ever have, meaning 3oz meat half cup corn, half cup salad. I finally feel satisfied. I think I ate way more than a lap bander should be able to soooo I am thinking that I am going to need a fill soon. Everything went down fine. Does it sound like I am not restricted any longer? I have been hungry for several days now. I think I can eat anything now even though I am trying hard to behave. Tell me what you think?:ohmy:Beckyo:tt1:

Becky

Congrats on you 1.8 lbs - doing super !!!

You need to eat more hard Protein foods and cut back on slider foods (musihies that slide right thru the band) Try some eggs for breakfast and you can even have meat if you want - you don't have to do breakfast foods _ I eat garnola 1/4 c (low fat) in a sf yogurt - or oatmeal - sometimes 1/2 sandwich - lunch today was 4 oz fish & 3/4 butternut squash.

As long as you are eating heathly food don't worry so much about how much - well with in reason and what you ate to nite wasnt bad-( I would say that before my 1st fill I was eating 1 to 2 cups for dinner) I want to be able to eat at least 1 cup per meal- I think any less isn't really healthy - my doc want you to eat regular foods - Venture out more into regular food you will find that you will stay full longer.

As to being hungry - well imho the band doesn't take away all your hunger at least not for me..

Yes you most likely will need a fill when you go - I think we all want one we want to know what restriction feels like - but I will tell you being too tight is the pits... I would rather use my will power than be too tight..

You are doing good - you are eating healthy that's what this is about - learning to eat healthy and smaller portions which you are doing right now - your fill will help but you are makeing the food choices and you are doing good - just try eating more hard Protein for breakfast or lunch and see how long it keeps you full..

thanks Janet, I will try more Protein to see if that helps. What I'm not getting in too much of is veggies. I gotta work on that. This is hard. I haven't had too many problems at all though but now that I am getting hungrier its getting harder and I don't want to gain. I would like to keep loosing two a week if possible so I will pump up my exercise a little and eat more Protein to see how that works. thanks for all of your help though and everyone elses on this thread.

Beckyo:tongue2:

Thank you so much for your help. I am excited to actually have a workable meal plan to work with. You are doing a fantastic job supporting us. Thank you for caring and sharing your success!

Joann,

That is a good idea or maybe it could be just Breakfast in a cup!! I also like to have a salad once in a while and found a great way to mix some crunchy greens so I don't overeat. It requires you to chew:

Cole Slaw mixings, Broccoli Cole Slaw, lettuce cut in slivers, add some sunflower seeds and top with dressing.

I have found if I eat things with a little crunch that requires me to chew I eat less. Plus I enjoy the chewing process because then it feels like I am eating and not just inhaling food.

Joann,

That is a good idea or maybe it could be just breakfast in a cup!! I also like to have a salad once in a while and found a great way to mix some crunchy greens so I don't overeat. It requires you to chew:

Cole Slaw mixings, Broccoli Cole Slaw, lettuce cut in slivers, add some sunflower seeds and top with dressing.

I have found if I eat things with a little crunch that requires me to chew I eat less. Plus I enjoy the chewing process because then it feels like I am eating and not just inhaling food.

Hi True,

I was describing the 1-pot wonders to DH this morning and he ALMOST ordered me to the kitchen! (thank goodness he knows I would just laugh at that idea). DH watches his weight, too, and takes his lunch to work (once retired, now employed again). He thought this was a great idea. I currently fix 2 or 3 meals a week with leftovers planned for him to take for lunch, so these meals would work just great.

Hi everyone -

I just wanted to check in again. I had my surgery on Monday. The last few days have been tough, but definitely getting better. One more day of Clear liquids then I transition to full liquids for 10 days.

It has been a real roller coaster, but I know I'm doing the right thing. It's great to hear everyone's stories, "one pot wonders", etc. I'm looking forward to this new beginning.

Oh yeah, what's with the gas pains!! They are the worse part so far.

Kathy

Janet, I hope you have a wonderful time at the Mall of America. What a great place to shop for new skinny clothes!

I finally got the results on my gall bladder today and it sounds like I am facing another surgery. I see the dr on Wed to discuss. I have small gallstones and a poorly functioning gall bladder I guess. I'm hoping they can go in the same holes! My lap band surgeon will also do this surgery so I am pleased about that as I liked him so and no danger of him messing up my band, etc.

My surgery date is Aug. 4th. I'm curious to know, how long will I go after surgery before I get my first fill? Also, how long before solid food.< /span>

thanks Janet, I will try more Protein to see if that helps. What I'm not getting in too much of is veggies. I gotta work on that. This is hard. I haven't had too many problems at all though but now that I am getting hungrier its getting harder and I don't want to gain. I would like to keep loosing two a week if possible so I will pump up my exercise a little and eat more Protein to see how that works. thanks for all of your help though and everyone elses on this thread.

Beckyo:tongue2:

Becky - yep start adding veggies they help - and don't sabotage yourself with the whole 2 lbs a week - cuz if you don't lose that much each week then you are going to be upset which can cause you to revert to your old eating habits - Like I said before - I lost 100 lbs in 11 months - but I didn't lose 2 lbs every week - some weeks just 1/2 lbs - click in my ticker and it will bring up a graph on my weekly weight lose -

Thank you so much for your help. I am excited to actually have a workable meal plan to work with. You are doing a fantastic job supporting us. Thank you for caring and sharing your success!

Beachcomber - We all help each other - it's not just me - it's each of us and our stories and how we handle our struggles... We all learn from each other ... It' just I have been around the block so I can help with that kind of stuff...

Hi everyone -

I just wanted to check in again. I had my surgery on Monday. The last few days have been tough, but definitely getting better. One more day of Clear Liquids then I transition to full liquids for 10 days.

It has been a real roller coaster, but I know I'm doing the right thing. It's great to hear everyone's stories, "one pot wonders", etc. I'm looking forward to this new beginning.

Oh yeah, what's with the gas pains!! They are the worse part so far.

Kathy

Kathy - Each day it gets better and yes gas is terrible - it kept me in the hospital and extra night !! Gas X Strips - heating pads and walking...

Janet, I hope you have a wonderful time at the Mall of America. What a great place to shop for new skinny clothes!

I finally got the results on my gall bladder today and it sounds like I am facing another surgery. I see the dr on Wed to discuss. I have small gallstones and a poorly functioning gall bladder I guess. I'm hoping they can go in the same holes! My lap band surgeon will also do this surgery so I am pleased about that as I liked him so and no danger of him messing up my band, etc.

Lori - Sorry to hear that you will have to go back under the knife - but it won't be as bad as your band surgery - remember it's the portsite that hurt the worst - this time no cut like that just the holes... Hugs on that issue and yes if i still had mine *gallbladder) my surgeon would have taken it out too.. and since you know them and trust them it helps calm your fears some.

My surgery date is Aug. 4th. I'm curious to know, how long will I go after surgery before I get my first fill? Also, how long before solid food.

PJ it all depends on your doc - the are all diff - my doc 6 weeks after surgery is when you get your 1st fill - food - Day one which for me was hospital - clear liquids - when I got home full liquids - includes creamed Soups - yogurt - popcicles - fudgecidles etc. for 10 days - then 10 days mushies then 10 days soft - then regular food...

But again it depends on your doc - they all have diff order..

Ok Gang - I gotta finish packing - just wanted to pop in an say bye...

Be good - follow band rules - drink your Water - Salsa1877 went camping so she won't be available so ask True or go to the 50 board and see if Denise is around - she will help...

Hugs to you all. Will ck in on Tuesday....

Love Janet

I had my surgury yesterday and feel really good today! I had the dreaded hiatal hernia too that needed correcting, but still did not have to stay over night (yay!)

Just a little pain at the port sight, none of the other places hurt. I'm 50 years old and I asked the doctor about travel. He said I should be fine in 2 weeks.

Question about food. My plan is pretty much exactly like what Janet said. Clear liquids for 2 days, full liquids for 1 week (including Soups and puddings this time!), then mushy's for 2 weeks. After that start introducing foods gradually, slowly, chew chew chew well.

A year ago I also had the gall bladder surgury. It was a piece of cake, 3 minor incisions, home the same day and instantly feeling better! Don't put it off because you will not believe how much better you feel.

Take care all and thanks for the support group.

Katarina

I had my surgury yesterday and feel really good today! I had the dreaded hiatal hernia too that needed correcting, but still did not have to stay over night (yay!)

Just a little pain at the port sight, none of the other places hurt. I'm 50 years old and I asked the doctor about travel. He said I should be fine in 2 weeks.

Question about food. My plan is pretty much exactly like what Janet said. Clear liquids for 2 days, full liquids for 1 week (including Soups and puddings this time!), then mushy's for 2 weeks. After that start introducing foods gradually, slowly, chew chew chew well.

A year ago I also had the gall bladder surgury. It was a piece of cake, 3 minor incisions, home the same day and instantly feeling better! Don't put it off because you will not believe how much better you feel.

Take care all and thanks for the support group.

Katarina

Welcome home Katarina, and to the other side of the band! I had the hiatal hernia too and came home same day.

thanks for the info as well on your gall bladder surgery. I am hoping since my recovery went so well from lap band it should be smooth sailing with gall bladder, after all the worst part of the band was the port site and I won't have that this time. And if it's 3 incisions that's 2 less than I got for the band.

Maybe I'll lose some weight then. I have not lost in 9 days, in fact gained 2 of the 4 I lost last week, this week. So frustrating, but I have had great losses so maybe my body is 'resting'. LOL I did take measurements and they have gone down so that is good! Up to 5 inches in some places total.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! They really meant a lot, especially since I was about to back out before the surgery. This week has been one of rest and recovery. This has been the first day that I really felt like sitting down at the computer. The surgery itself went pretty well. I'm another one who had a hiatal hernia and the doctor told my husband that from the size of it, he couldn't believe that I hadn't been in a great deal of pain before this.

Surgery wasn't bad. GAS WAS! Everyday, I walk around the back yard, lap by lap, morning and evening. It's been too hot during the day to do much more than walk around my house a little. By afternoon I've needed to nap anyway. Today, as I said, is the first day I feel like myself. Still some discomfort, but I can do some things around the house.

I've come to realize that not everyone can get up and run around right away. Three days after my son-in-law's banding he went to a basketball game. No way for me and that's OK. I'm taking care of my body now and that means listening to it, something I had never really learned to do. (I have this theory about there being a correlation between overweight and people pleasing!!!!!!) Well, now is time for me and even taking a nap is "OK."

I've actually been a little afraid to eat, or "drink" as the case may be. Lots of sipping!!!!! I'm supposed to be on clear liquids and Protein drinks for 3 weeks. I don't know how I'll get in 75 g of Protein a day. I'll just keep trying. It's early.

Thanks again for all the advice and good wishes. Finding this board right before the surgery was a gift from heaven.

Love,

Ellen

Lori, gall bladder!!!!! My turn to pray for you. I'll write soon.