Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hello everyone,

Glad to hear everyone had a nice holiday--so did I. I got to start on a regular diet on yesterday. I thought I was looking forward to it for the variety but I am still turning to the food I have been having--like oatmeal and Protein shakes. I need to eat more bulky foods. I don't know if it is just fear or worry that I will gain weight after losing on the mushies. Anyone been in the same situation when real food was ok?

I forgot to say that I have been exercising. The lapband program here includes 6 weeks of a personal trainer through the cadiac rehab facility. After the first six weeks you can continue for a nominal fee and it is a very good deal. I have gone since 1 week after surgery and I am amazed at how far I have progressed. I started out at 15 minutes on a treadmill and then 15 on a bike. I am in my third week and I am up to 40 minutes on a treadmill at 2.7 mph and 30 minutes on a bike and then 1/2 hour of free weights. This may not seem like a lot to some of you but if you knew how much I did not like to exercise you would be shocked to see me sweating. Exercising via this venue is making me more accountable. The trainer monitors you and takes BP and heart rate, etc. I am not saying that I love it even now but hopefully I will grow to really enjoy it. I think if I was at a gym or YMCA by myself I would have quit after a few minutes and never made it to 40 minutes This is the perfect opportunity for me to help myself be successful.

Hi Janet:

I haven't posted on here much lately, I have returned to work and been busy playing with my grandchildren.

I am doing fine with my band, I have had one fill and need a second. I have lost a total of 17 lbs since my pre-op 6 weeks ago. I gained 2 lbs back before my 1st fill, but have lost them again.

I have been working on my eating plan. I discovered that I was still trying to depend on the slider foods, ie: liquids and mushies, too much. Now I am trying to avoid them and eat whole foods again. That really helps with the full feeling.

I have been walking about 30 minutes per day 3 days per week and I have been riding my bike 2-3 days per week. I have a gym membership and will return there when the weather gets bad again.

I appreciate all your advice, even when I don't post I always read all you write to others, especially Long2bthin (she is a fellow Junebug!) Thanks!

Cathy - Good job on your exercise!!!! I am glad that you have move on to hard Proteins - it will keep you full longer.

Hello everyone,

Glad to hear everyone had a nice holiday--so did I. I got to start on a regular diet on yesterday. I thought I was looking forward to it for the variety but I am still turning to the food I have been having--like oatmeal and Protein shakes. I need to eat more bulky foods. I don't know if it is just fear or worry that I will gain weight after losing on the mushies. Anyone been in the same situation when real food was ok?

I forgot to say that I have been exercising. The lapband program here includes 6 weeks of a personal trainer through the cadiac rehab facility. After the first six weeks you can continue for a nominal fee and it is a very good deal. I have gone since 1 week after surgery and I am amazed at how far I have progressed. I started out at 15 minutes on a treadmill and then 15 on a bike. I am in my third week and I am up to 40 minutes on a treadmill at 2.7 mph and 30 minutes on a bike and then 1/2 hour of free weights. This may not seem like a lot to some of you but if you knew how much I did not like to exercise you would be shocked to see me sweating. Exercising via this venue is making me more accountable. The trainer monitors you and takes BP and heart rate, etc. I am not saying that I love it even now but hopefully I will grow to really enjoy it. I think if I was at a gym or YMCA by myself I would have quit after a few minutes and never made it to 40 minutes This is the perfect opportunity for me to help myself be successful.

Jill

Just as I was telling a GF at work who is dieting trying to lose 20 lbs and nothings coming off - it's cuz she is not eating enough - she said "I'm Old School" to lose weight you don't eat - I told her that was WRONG that you need to eat to lose weight and if she kept that kind of thinking she wasn't going to lose the weight.

You do have to move to hard Proteins - you will get full faster and stay full longer - you just need to watch your overall calorie contents - on mushies 3/4 cup to get you full on hard Protein it will be 1/2 c or less

Try it - have 3 oz of steak for dinner - but make sure it's soft meat and chew very well - tiny bites eraser size ..

Great job on the exercise - I started slowly and worked myself up - so that I didn't burn myself out - I too HATED EXERCISE - BUT now can't say I am a gym rat - but I do go 4 days a week and I do feel better after doing it... You will come to enjoy it and the accomplishment of having the disciplined of going

You guy are doing fantastic - keep up the good work:thumbup:

Yep it sounds like a blind fill - but my doc keeps me in the room with the needle in me until he is sure that I am not to tight - why take it out to have to re-stick you.. But that's not always a guarentee that you won't get to tight after a few days - when I was too tight in January - I drank even had a Protein drink but in a day or 2 got tight.

Me personally I like eating 1 cup of food per meal - mentally I need to eat that much - there are pple here who like to be so tight that they only eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup per meal - being too tight can cause problems too.

And for me I don't find that it really takes away all my hunger - I still have major head hunger issues and even now almost a year out - I know I am full but still want to eat... and sometime I am just plain a$$ hungry..

You are doing super on your weight loss:thumbup: - keep up the great work:thumbup:- hows the exercise going?? :(

Thanks Janet. I know in my pre and post op nutrition classes they said meals should be about 4 oz. and as I got to 8 I needed a fill. I'm just afraid of the 8 growing into 12 oz, etc. I am very excited to report that today I hit 40 lbs gone total! (that includes the 10 I lost before starting this whole process - always feel I have to put that disclaimer in) The execise is slow right now, I pedal a bike at the gym or walk, I just emailed my surgeon yesterday and said in another week I could do heavier stuff. I am looking forward to starting a bariatric exercise program my dr/hospital provide with a personal trainer one night a week for $15. Not sure if I will go every week, but periodically so he can show me what to do. It's a distance from my house which is why I may not go every week. I thought I could take what he shows me and do it at my clubhouse in my neighborhood that's free (well comes with my HOA's).

Hi Janet:

I haven't posted on here much lately, I have returned to work and been busy playing with my grandchildren.

I am doing fine with my band, I have had one fill and need a second. I have lost a total of 17 lbs since my pre-op 6 weeks ago. I gained 2 lbs back before my 1st fill, but have lost them again.

I have been working on my eating plan. I discovered that I was still trying to depend on the slider foods, ie: liquids and mushies, too much. Now I am trying to avoid them and eat whole foods again. That really helps with the full feeling.

I have been walking about 30 minutes per day 3 days per week and I have been riding my bike 2-3 days per week. I have a gym membership and will return there when the weather gets bad again.

I appreciate all your advice, even when I don't post I always read all you write to others, especially Long2bthin (she is a fellow Junebug!) Thanks!

Cathy, I always read what you post too. I guess I feel a special kinship with you since we are 'junebugs' and banded one day apart and you are also a 50+!

My program comes with an exercise program too, though it is $15 a week, but is specifically for bariatric patients. I will start more exercise in a week or so after the 6 week post op is up.

Hi to everyone tonight, Well Janet, today was weigh day and I am down exactly 2 lbs since last Wed. I'm HAPPY:thumbup:. Today I went to my sons house to have his cable installed. I had large cup of Decaf coffee and then I had choc Unjury drink for Breakfast. Got home at lunch and had a half cup of cottage cheese and a small helping of applesauce. Went for a 1.2 mile walk, came home, did some laundry, soon it was time for supper, so I had 2 egg salad with a few crackers (soft ones.) Was full, so I went outside and worked in the garden for an hour. Plus I had about 3 bottles of Water. I am like Jill and cathychatts. I am still on mushies for the rest of this week and next before solids and I am afraid to go to regular food, not for fear of weight gain but for fear of choking. I don't understand how everyone can eat salad but get stuck so easily on other things. I started to eat a half piece of bread today and I took two bites and got afraid so I threw it away. I just wanted to see if I really missed it or not. (NOT REALLY). Also I went to daily plate and tracked my meal yesterday, and I did very well except I had 49 grams of carbs, mostly coming from oatmeal. Now oatmeal is supposed to be good for you but what about the carbs. Next page for more Beckyo

I don't know how I will get onto regular foods. I have not been very hungry between meals. Tonight I have a little twinge of hunger. So am I restricted or not. I think I am but am not sure. I can definitely eat a full cup of anything at each meal but no more than that. I switched my plan for mushies now and I am getting to a more structured plan like b, L and dinner. I don't really have a desire to overeat. I would like to try a Pasta dinner for my first real meal but its like I am dumfounded about eating now.

Isn't that crazy. Also, I am wondering what a first fill will be like. My doc does first one under fluro whatever that means. I don't understand how he knows how much to put in either. Well thats it for now. Hope you are all doing well.

Beckyo:tt2:

Hi to everyone tonight, Well Janet, today was weigh day and I am down exactly 2 lbs since last Wed. I'm HAPPY:thumbup:. Today I went to my sons house to have his cable installed. I had large cup of Decaf coffee and then I had choc unjury drink for breakfast. Got home at lunch and had a half cup of cottage cheese and a small helping of applesauce. Went for a 1.2 mile walk, came home, did some laundry, soon it was time for supper, so I had 2 egg salad with a few crackers (soft ones.) Was full, so I went outside and worked in the garden for an hour. Plus I had about 3 bottles of Water. I am like Jill and cathychatts. I am still on mushies for the rest of this week and next before solids and I am afraid to go to regular food, not for fear of weight gain but for fear of choking. I don't understand how everyone can eat salad but get stuck so easily on other things. I started to eat a half piece of bread today and I took two bites and got afraid so I threw it away. I just wanted to see if I really missed it or not. (NOT REALLY). Also I went to daily plate and tracked my meal yesterday, and I did very well except I had 49 grams of carbs, mostly coming from oatmeal. Now oatmeal is supposed to be good for you but what about the carbs. Next page for more Beckyo
I don't know how I will get onto regular foods. I have not been very hungry between meals. Tonight I have a little twinge of hunger. So am I restricted or not. I think I am but am not sure. I can definitely eat a full cup of anything at each meal but no more than that. I switched my plan for mushies now and I am getting to a more structured plan like b, L and dinner. I don't really have a desire to overeat. I would like to try a Pasta dinner for my first real meal but its like I am dumfounded about eating now.

Isn't that crazy. Also, I am wondering what a first fill will be like. My doc does first one under fluro whatever that means. I don't understand how he knows how much to put in either. Well thats it for now. Hope you are all doing well.

Beckyo:tt2:

Should I cut out the carbs also?

Beckyo:cursing:

Becky

I think you do have good restriction - as to cutting your carbs I am not an Atkins girl - I really follow a WW type eating plan as I feel it's most balanced - My doc said to eat the weight control oatmeal it's lower in sugar - 160 calories - I switch to the high Fiber this week - same calories but more sugar - but need the Fiber and only eat oatmeal once a week -

At to getting stuck - small bites and chew really well and don't eat fast - but even doing that sometime you may get stuck - one day you can eat something and the next you can't our bands are really fickled.

See above explaination to Long about fills - I covered the fluro - you drink something and they have an xray machine watching the liquid going thru your new tummy to your old..

Well, my son and family just came - so I gotta cut this short - I will respond more tomorrow...

Hugs.

Oh i ALMOST FORGOT

CONGRATS ON THE 2 LBS :redface: YOU ARE DOING GREAT :smile2:

Hi Janet,

Went to my family doctor for a routine check-up with bloodwork to decide it my medicine needs to be changed. My diabetes medicine has been cut in half. My B/P is very good but he is still keeping me on the meds for a while longer. I did have an issue with the kidney function tests. Two were very bad and they never have been before. He is thinking that because I had the two doses of IV drugs within two weeks (one surgery was post-poned at the very last minute) and all the diet changes, as well as, the stress of surgery may have played a role in the test results. He told me to drink a lot of Water and scheduled me for more blood tests in two months. Did you or anyone on the forum have any kidney issues after surgery?

Hi Indi,

I went and received a fill on Monday. I think I am were I need to be 1.5 with a 9.75 band. I realized that I was using the band wrong. I was able to go on a road trip with my husband this week after I had received my fill. I was able to face some truths about myself. The biggest was that I was depending on the band to be my salvation for weight loss and that is why I received more than what I needed in a fill. That is also why I had to have so much taken back out bc I was so sick with to much of a fill.

Now my head is where it needs to be. I have a feeling that I am at the fill I need for a while, but I won't know until I get past this week. I am just a little swollen. I seem to be able to eat still what I want, but smaller quantities. I am writing down what I eat so I can see what I am doing. I am going to start working out on a regular basis soon. I have recruited some friends to start walking, and I am going to be starting a lap band support group soon with the assistance from my Dr. office. Things are looking up. It is amazing how wonderful you feel after gaining a right perspective about things with a better attitude. My goal is to work toward losing my 63 pounds before my next anniversary date of July 6th since I didn't make it this year. I am determined not to beat myself up and just look at this as an opportunity to start over.

Thank you for your encouragement. I will continue to check in with you and see how things progress. Is there a way we can be buddies so we can chat one on one. I don't know how to do a buddy page, but maybe you can coach me with that.

Look foward to talking with you soon......

I know exactly how you feel. Your right that you need to start eating because it is a mind game you are playing. Just remember you can start slow. You can eat a small amount so you feel the control of what you are eating. I learned I needed to eat to lose the weight. I was like you in that I was dealing with thoughts of not being able to lose weight since I had been on liquids for so long. Then I didn't eat like I needed to and could not lose the weight. After talking with a fitness instructor and the dr. office, I learned I was not eating enough. So I increased what I was eating and lost 12 lbs in six weeks. Not bad. I liked that. Now I am trying to deal with the mind issues in another way like not depending on the band alone to lose the weight. So I am working on that.

You will do great!! Trust me!! Just eat small amounts and you will feel great! We have all been overweight for a long time, so it should take us some time to lose the weight giving ourselves the grace to learn from our mistakes.

Hi to everyone tonight, Where has Janet been? Haven't seen her on here for a few days. Today is Sunday and I am trying to only weigh every Wednesday so don't know this week yet. I have notice that each day I am now getting hungrier and hungrier. Tuesday I go to the Dr. but I am still on Mushies until next Saturday and it isn't cuttin it anymore. I am finally hungry.I am trying to get in my waters and am getting Protein in every day but have run out of ideas for mushies.I had chicken salad the other day and boy was it good. Can I have Pasta in the mushie stage? Okay yesterday I had 2 scrambled eggs with a slice of cheese for B, snack was a protein smoothie ( yogurt, pineapple, strawberry Unjury and a little orange juice). Was full until close to dinner so then I had 3 oz of chicken blended with spices and tsp miracle whip. evening snack was protein bullet, pudding. So today, I had coffee, unjury smoothie with yogurt for B, lunch was cottage cheese and applesauce and tonight was 2 egg salad. Today I had two slices of bread with my egg salad. Not mushies but was starving so I thought I would try it. It went right down. Now it is evening and I am very hungry again. I had pudding. (Next page

I am still very hungry. Each day I get a little hungrier. First of all, am I eating too much. I am eating alot of Protein but it isn't working the same as it did pre-op. As soon as I go off mushies then I will try regular food. I was scared to death to eat bread today. Am I starting to need a fill at this point or not? I will pay close attention to what I eat but I don't like this feeling of being so hungry all of a sudden. I will still have about two weeks to go before I can have one. Well just wanted to vent a little. I still do love this band though.:unsure:

Beckyo:cursing:

I was like you in that I was hungry and could eat sooner than I was suppose to. I ate things that would mush and still be filling. eggs are a really good filler with the Protein you need. I would stay away from the bread for a while. I know you are getting sick of Protein Drink, pudding, Jello with cool whip, and yogurt, but this stage is also about training your habits. If you can eat mushy foods pretty easy, I also would make homemade Soups (chicken, turkey, & Beef) and then blend them. I would pack the soups with meat and veggies. Brown Beans mashed are great. Feels like you are eating a meal. Also add salsa to the beans with a touch of cheese and you have a meal. Cottage cheese is always good. I also like to make a spinach dip combo with a can of puree chicken. Great. Keep up the good work. You are getting closer to eating small meals. Especially you can eat some food pretty good. Be careful about picking up old habits. It is easy to get back into those patterns. I have had my surgery a year ago, was sick due to drainage from allergies, had to be completely drained, and I am starting over again. Not a bad thing bc I can eat now. However, I am hungry a lot so I am working hard to control the hunger with the right foods, drinking my Water, and working out, and eating frequently. Hope these ideas helped.

Edited by true2self