Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

I was very surprised the other day when I logged into the Realize Band web site and a message popped up that my weight seemed to be at a plateau and I needed to revise my eating plan and contact my surgeon! I knew they moniterd progress, but I didn't know they really watched you!

Sooooo! I took a really good look and can cut some things out. I don't think I am ready for another fill yet, I come too close to getting things stuck now. I have to sit and wait and it seems like the band relaxes and I can continue to eat then.

Perhaps, I am doing it wrong. Perhaps my band is still not quite tight enough to stop the food from slipping through right away and once it gets lubricated with a little food then it lets it go down. Does that sound reasonable? It is always at the first bite that I do that.

Well, I will get back, I am working and students need help!

Cathy, the Realize band is one of my options and I have to make a decision soon. I checked out the website and the journaling/tracking options appear to be extensive. They listed some study results that indicated fewer problems and slightly better weight loss than the other options. It did not state number of patients in the study, length of study, etc., so I take those results with a grain of salt. Your experience with the tracking system sounds like it might be worthwhile. Are you happy with their band and web assistance? My surgeon says it's up to me - she does not advise one over the other. She feels some of her patients are not as computer savvy as others, and one of the main benefits of Realize is the website assistance. Did your surgeon recommend the Realize? What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

I'm back !!!! Got back last night around 8:30 ish - I am beat and this is going to be quick cuz I'm at work and gotta go thru 100 emails still.

I see you guys have been supporting each other very well while I was gone..

Lori - congrats on your 1st pb - it was most likey the food - eating too fast and the coke really didn't help:lol: - I know the 1st time I got stuck thought that Water would make it go down - nope it make it worse...

Cathy - What are you eating - what's your exercise.. I don't think it matter what band you have - how's your restictrion...

Phyl is a Lucky #7 too :thumbup: she is now on her way to Buffalo to meet with her Sisters..

Ticker instuctions

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

Wired - glad you are doing well - and yep we all heal differently...

Becky - you sound likeyou are doing welll...

Kathy - Glad you are feeling full on liquids - that's good

Ok gang I gotta get to work - just wanted you to know I was back - and broke :thumbs_up: - I will be back tonight...

Welcome back Janet!! I hope you had a great time. Did you buy lots of new skinny clothes at the Mall of America??

Ellen, how are you doing? It's been about a week since your surgery, are you on mushies yet?? I remember scrambled eggs never tasted so good.

Kathy, you said you were banded July 21st, my day, too. How is your recovery coming? I hear about these people who are running around already and that isn't me sadly. I try to do a few things and walk a little in the morning. By afternoon, I'm pooped! I still have gas, but all in all am improving everyday. I also guess it's time to use benefiber!

Janet, I tried your link on page 17, but it didn't work for me. I'd love to chart my progress. How do I do that? Where do I click?

Lori, 5 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! I guess I have to start measuring now, too.

Thanks,

Ellen, a not too computer savvy new friend

Rather than benefiber, you may want to try Triple Leaf Super Slimming herbal tea. It works overnight guaranteed with no lingering effects.

Welcome back Janet!! I hope you had a great time. Did you buy lots of new skinny clothes at the Mall of America??

Ellen, how are you doing? It's been about a week since your surgery, are you on mushies yet?? I remember scrambled eggs never tasted so good.

Hey Lori - Yep - I am going to die when I get my credit card bills !!:wink2:

It's funny - I got Size 6 - 4 and even a size 2 and no way in God's green earth is 145.5 a size 2 but that's what the size on the pants say ! so I will take it:thumbup: - 6 pairs of pants - 1 suit - 2 dresses - 2 pairs of shoe - 1 jacket - 2 tanks - 6 tops... I will upload pictures tonite.

Janet.....WE MISSED YOU! I think I am starting "bandster hell". I am getting hungry too often. Those shakes don't hold me! I am eating pureed food (3oz )three times a day and drinking Protein shakes three times a day with Water inbetween. Just venting. Got any suggestions....?????

Thanks Charlene for missing me :0)

Make cream of pinto bean Soup (or any Beans that you like) - make pot of Beans - strain the beans from the broth (keeping broth) puree beans add back to broth !!! Refried beans are mushies - go to the food thread there are tons of receipts for mushie stage.. Scrambled eggs - cottage cheese - yogurts - puddings are all mushies - there are some good receipts for spaghetti sauce (or marnara sauce & ricotta cheese ) - oatmeal - cream of wheat - cream of spinach - mashed potatoes

I ate all these things..

I hate hamburger helper (my GS loves it) and i took it and put in my magic bullet and added Tomato bisque Soup - it was ok not great but I was hungry... You need to eat real food not so much shakes - I found for me homecooked real food more satisfiying...

Ok Back to work - talk to you all tonite

Janet .....thanks for the pinto suggestion....my DH makes killer pintos. I will get him involved in this too. I am supposed to be on full liquids, but the dieticians list says I can have all those things as long as I puree them. I have had pureed eggbeaters, tuna, chicken and cottage cheese. Next week I don't have to puree them.

Janet .....thanks for the pinto suggestion....my DH makes killer pintos. I will get him involved in this too. I am supposed to be on full liquids, but the dieticians list says I can have all those things as long as I puree them. I have had pureed eggbeaters, tuna, chicken and cottage cheese. Next week I don't have to puree them.

Charlene

Well the cream of pinto Beans Soup is full liquids :0)

Hi there Janet, glad to see you are back and had a great time. Looks like you did real well on your shopping. I love to shop:biggrin:. I am interested in how the lucky seven is doing one year out with their lap bands. Are they doing as well as you. Did you have alot of notes to compare about your weight loss journeys? So tell us all about the girls and their journeys. We have all missed you at this thread and Phyl. From Wed to Wed last week I lost 1.6. now i weigh again on this Wed (tomorrow).For the last two days I have been nausious. I don't know why but I have. I am chaning my diet again. Now I am going to eat Protein first, veggies second and other stuff last. Last week I went out to Pasta House. Ate 1/3 of dinner. today I went to Steak and shake after my walk with my daughter and I ordered a steakburger plain and a small dinner salad. I ate the meat, pitched the bun and ate half the salad. I was full all day until tonight. Then I ate a Lean Quisine dinner which all went down fine but I think too many carbs in it. Can't wait to see your new clothes. :wink2:

Beckyo

I think I have a ticker. Thanks to all for the education. All is going fairly well here. After 8 days the pain has lessened; sleep is still a great necessity, not that it ever isn't and I'm still in a post-op mode. The shakes and Clear Liquids go down pretty easily, but I'm having fewer than 500 calories a day, probably fewer than 400, and I don't think that's enough. Tomorrow, I think I will have to "eat" more regularly, on a real schedule, and see what happens. Maybe then I'll have more shakes and not feel quite as tired.

On another note: I have the Realize Band. I'm not sure if I have it because it is better or because my Doctor at Cedar's is the one doing the studies and the write-ups on it. For those who have the choice, all I can say is that the reads on it seem pretty good. It's a 9 CC band and I'm not quite sure what that means yet, as opposed to the 10 that most of my friends are now getting and the 14 that my son-in-law has. The on-site support is supposed to be an incredible added plus, but I find the site a bit unwieldly and I haven't found a Forum on it, which I think would be of most service to the patients. I have learned MORE here than anywhere and I wouldn't trade this forum for anything.

Lori, my Dr. doesn't want me on mushies for 3 weeks. That seems like a long time and an awful lot of chocolate shakes!!!!! My son-in-law did remind me tonight, however, that I have to keep drinking Water, because excess Protein needs to be flushed from the system, too. From someone who didn't want to be preoccupied with eating and food, that seems to be all I can think about. I can't wait to have a little more energy, so I can balance this regiment with "life."

Talk to you all again soon.

Love,

Ellen

Janet,

Size 2 wow, size 4-wow, size 6-wow!!!!!! Glad you had a great time. You earned it and all the credit card charges!

I got my first fill last Friday of 1.75 cc. I really don't think I got enough. I think I was a little too nervous after the DR was having a little difficulty getting the needle into the port and maybe over reacted to some pressure in my band area. He has agreed to inject more next Friday after I monitor it until next Tuesday to see if I get any restriction. What was the amount of your first fill? I am kind of stuck for the past two weeks without much weight loss.

Also, Janet, I didn't see any reference to salad on you menu plan. Do you eat salad? I know you list veggies. Is salad part of those veggies?

Ellen -

Glad to see the Ticker is working. We were banded the same day but I can start mushies on Sunday - Can't wait! Last night I had to take my elderly dad to the hospital (he's ok). After six hours I was so hungry I went to the cafeteria and the only liquid option was the gravy from the fried chicken meal. I almost ordered a cup of gravy (l0l). But, I didn't and ended up finding some yogurt instead.

Janet - it is so heartwarming to see that the people you connected with last year have become friends. What a great way to have a reunion!

Kathy

Well feeling a little anxious this morning. I see my surgeon this afternoon and will find out about my gall bladder surgery and also a possible 2nd fill. I think I need somewhat of a fill but not much as I do have some resriction at times, but others I could eat double or more than the 4 oz I am supposed to.

Ellen, it does seem like in the post op phase you are thinking of food/drink/protein all the time. It does get better. I was to drink something every 15 min. and sometimes just didn't want to.

Killjcarr, I got 3 cc as my first fill (had 4cc already in at surgery) but I have the large band (14cc), but think everyone is different as far as what it takes for them to feel restriction. good luck!

Janet, size 2?? Awesome!! my daughter just got a size 2 dress and was elated, she's normally a 4 or 6.

Cathy, the Realize band is one of my options and I have to make a decision soon. I checked out the website and the journaling/tracking options appear to be extensive. They listed some study results that indicated fewer problems and slightly better weight loss than the other options. It did not state number of patients in the study, length of study, etc., so I take those results with a grain of salt. Your experience with the tracking system sounds like it might be worthwhile. Are you happy with their band and web assistance? My surgeon says it's up to me - she does not advise one over the other. She feels some of her patients are not as computer savvy as others, and one of the main benefits of Realize is the website assistance. Did your surgeon recommend the Realize? What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

JoannMarie: My doctor started using the new Realize band with me. He did three of us on the 6th of June. Dr. Ponce (the doc on the realize web site) was at my surgery Proctoring Dr Kramer with the new band.

My doc says this band isn't that different from the old ones, just improved. The older bands went 3/4 around and had a flat spot on the back (that could slip easier.) They improved that and the new bands have chambers all the way around. The new bands have a "low profile port" So when you loose weight there isn't a lump in the stomach.

From what I understand the new Allergan band is about the same as the Realize band.

I am happy with my band and think the web support is wonderful! I log in there everyday, I was really surprised when I got the message that I had hit a plateu! I got a message once before that I needed to check on a fill. I like the accountability factor in that web site. They are having a little trouble with the weekly calorie counter, it seems to double your intake. It also has the exercise counter to help you really stay on track. I had to email the webmaster once and I got an immediate responce.

If your doc gives you a choice then I think you will be fine with either band. I do recommend the Realize band (of course it is the only one I know since it is the only one I have.:))

No matter which band, I think the lapband is wonderful!

Now, just have to endure the learning curve for me and figure out what will work for me. I am a slow looser (always have been) One doctor compared my body to a volkswagen bug! Low to the ground, very fuel efficient (but cute) LOL:biggrin2:

Good luck to you and keep in touch! I will be happy to answer any questions you have!