Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Evening All...OMG...Gem Show was not overwhelming but just saw a bit of it and might have to go back. Eva did another good job of giving us a bit of info and a view of the show. This girl puts a lot of WORK into her friends. We trucked around today. Actually picked her up on the side of the road cuz DH and I got a little carried away with the hippie/retro shops downtown. Patient girl, that Eva is. So...she texted us and she was already out of school and we were still just tripping around the incense and tattoo shops. She decided to walk and we literally picked her up on the gravel at the side of the road. Fun times. Could not decide what I wanted to buy. Stopped at the first booth and saw a rock I LOVED. My thought was "We have so many more to see, might see something better". Well, came back and it was gone. They had something semi-nice but not the one I wanted. DH is such a great guy....offering to buy just cuz I said I liked it. I am the type that it just has to hit me. I wanted a certain color. But, we have many more years to collect our rocks and I am quite patient when it comes to things like that.

Just another wonderful day in Tucson. Just cannot believe the weather here. So looking forward to our trip out west and seeing Janet and Phyll ....so sweet, Phyll, that your DH is going to cook.

Hey, Jodi...you busy girl...I know this upcoming celebration is on your mind and keeping you busy. You are coming to Chicago, right?

Julie...take care. Please, please, please, seek out someone that can help you through this. I am sure you do not want to continue with the pain and the interruption to your life. I do not know what it is like to have continuous pain and I am so sorry that it has dropped into your life. You need to be proactive in getting to the bottom of it. I do not know if I could live a week without knowing what was going on. This all has to be wearing on your DH and DD and upsetting your family life. Take time for you and find what it takes to get to the bottom of what is going on. Hugs.

Went to Eva's hair salon today. What a nice job. I'm now officially cute again. (BS, but, I girl did a great job on the color and actually saved me money and said I did not need highlights. Nice, fun girl to talk to.

OK...signing off. Dog needs attention. Keeps knocking my boob with is nose. Big nose...knows how to get attention....Off to teach DH how to do as dog just did. TMI!!!

Ok, so now over with day 2 of the pouch test. I got on the scale this morning and it said I was down 4 lbs, even though I know I had over 1,000 calories with the Soups and what not. It seems as though calories aren't really an issue during the pouch test, it all about re-training, right? What do you girls do when doing the 5DPT?

I ended up going last night, and actually had a really great time. I knew I would have fun, but it is just so cold, and I knew I would drink some wine, and so on. You know how it goes. I had a few glasses, pretty sure that isn't on the pouch test, but perhaps I took the liquid part to a whole new level? Thats why I didn't want to go in the first place. Well, its over. Perhaps I should do another day of liquids tomorrow? What do you think? Anyhow, thanks to all of you who have encouraged me to just say "no" sometimes. It's tough though! I'm going to work on it. I do not want to regret it ever.

Lori~ So happy you had a wonderful time. It made me sad about your parents though. They are really missing out on one of the greatest miracles on earth. Hopefully they will come to their senses, but if not, at least you wont have any regrets. Safe travels!

Laura~ Ok, I think I posted about what happened with my band, but it was awhile ago and I'm sure you missed it. I had a barium swallow and the placement of the band was not where it should be so the dr said it was a partial slip. He took most of the Fluid out, and said we would have to see what would happen. Since, I had some more put in, then some more, then had a little taken out, and now need to shrink the pouch back down to where it was, or at least try. I haven't had another BS since, so I'm not sure exactly as to the placement. I think that I can really identify with what you are going through now with your band.

Arlene~ I hope everything works out ok with your mom. It sounds like you have it figured it out pretty well, thank goodness she has such a wonderful daughter as you.

Linda and Cheri~ Thanks to you too for all of the information you have provided me with and for taking the time to write it all down. I think that the both of you have really got a handle on this whole carb issue. I know that you both have been talking about it for so long, but I am the kind of person that needs to see what works for me on my own. You know how that goes. So now, yes, I think that I am a definate believer in the no carb craze! I've noticed that once i introduced carbs back into my diet, things became more and more difficult. So, now, I am so thankful and happy for the 5DPT and for both of you pushing the no carbs.

Apples~ Girl, you are living the life down there in AZ! I am so happy for you! Trust me, this weather is garbage. 4 degrees tonight and -9 tomorrow. I know where you live it is usually colder than it is here, so you are sooooo lucky! April and my Florida visit cannot come soon enough!

Ok, sorry if I missed anyone, it was not intentional. I'm tired, but want to start reading a new book tonight. It's called "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult. Many of you may have read it.

Night all~ Mere

Hi everyone......decided to sit down by the computer for a bit so had to check in on you all.......Arlene, so sorry to hear about your mother issues... Hope all works out for good soon.

Joyce, hope you will get things figured out soon... Can't be any fun at all....

Apples, I am proactive in my medical care..... I guess I don't give enough information to you all on here... but I'm very much taking a determined approach.... However, it takes time... My new doctor is still waiting for some records... Talked to his nurse today, so should hear from him soon..... I'm sure you are sick of hearing about my woes...... that dang fall has done a number on me.... My left calf is so sore today.... Everytime I get up from sitting I have to work it a bit to get going..... But this should get better soon..... I hope!!!! My cold is some better today, too...... I'm glad to hear you are having so much fun in AZ..... Just what you needed, I think..... I'm happy for you......

Lori, my DD is having problems now that they think are GB related... I have to go to Bismarck with her tomorrow for more tests..... She is having such pain at times.... She is due May 17th, so we still have a bit of a wait... glad yours is getting so close to time.... I can just feel your excitement...... It's a beautiful time... will you be in delivery with them??? I was with DD and it was just such a joyful thing.... Have fun "nesting" with her......

Someone was talking about taking pills before eating.... I have to take mine slowly with a little bit here and there in between... Maybe a popsicle.... I take so dang many that it takes half an hour to get them all in.... But I know an empty stomach in the morning is not good for pills. I always get a bite of something or a drink of milk in my stomach first, but not a full meal........

Well, dear friends.... I need to take my pills and get to sleep...... Early morning to go with DD tomorrow.... Love and hugs to all.... Julie

Linda,

I haven't been saying to much about me because i have been stuck. I am reading everything you all say and taking it in. Using what I can. I am getting back on track. As Cheri said us UP NORTH are trying to deal with the lack of light and cold. I was letting that be an excuse for not eating right. I am up a few pounds, less than 5. I have been working on eating solid Proteins and it is working. I haven't ever eaten much carbs but not watching the calories either and snacking on lots of nuts. That is what has gotten me. I also haven't been exercising like I was. Now I am going to yoga 2x a week and walking on my treadmill at least 4x a week. It is helping take that weight back off and with my moods. I needed more than the yoga to do it. I am going to look for another class to get some cardio in.

For Sandy (and myself) I am looking into running a 5k in March for St Patricks day as a warm up so that I can finish one with her and others in Chicago.

I have met a few guys that I am talking with, one I seen last Friday night and have talked with him on the phone. I am meeting another one this Friday for the evening, we will see how that goes. He seems to be more down to earth than the other one, more like me. I have been going out with friends that I met thru the dating site, guys and girls that have become good friends. So just having fun without the pressure, it'll happen when it happens and it will be right for me. I am using the "no thanks" when I feel that way and not letting it bother me. So enough about me.

Eva and Apples, have a great time with Phyl and Janet. What a hoot you all will have.

Apples, only want to kick butt when someone messes with our group. We are all just fine and they need to leave us alone.

Chris, seen on FB you are going back to work. Happy for you..

Well better get to work, and I can't remember anything else.

LauraK

Julie, take care of yourself and my thoughts and prayers are with you. Just wish you could get relief from all this pain.

LauraK

Hi all, site was DOWN again this am during my regular time so I was frustrated -- honestly they need to get their acts together. I like to read and catch up when I first get up in the morning.

LauraK and Meredith, I've been posting a lot about the 5 DPT and the no carbs cause I 'm trying to share information with those of you who may be struggling like I was last year and I 'm hoping to save you all some of the frustration I went through last year when I didn't listen about the no carbs. In fact before I got banded I kept asking "why do I have to eat sugar free when I'm not diabetic" cause in the past I ate sugar and still lost weight. I also went through 8 months of being too tight and it wasn't until after I got the UN-fill in August that I was able to eat Protein correctly and start losing again. So as Cheri likes to say, take what you can use and leave the rest. I'm not trying to be a know it all and hope it's not coming across as such. Meredith, as far as losing 4 lbs. after 2 days on the 5 DPT I have heard that some people lose as much as 10 lbs. during the 5 DPT. I myself lost about 3 the first time I did it so yes, I think it depends on your body and how much you have to lose -- I know I lost huge amounts of weight immediately following surgery when I was on liquids for two weeks. I hope you reap some benefits from it -- even though you don't have much in your pouch, it will be curious to see how you feel when you start to eat the soft Protein.

Julie, glad you are proactive in your health care -- sorry you are still hurting from the fall, hugs on all of it. Hope DD's appt. goes well today. Thinking of you.

LauraK, glad you are getting out and enjoying yourself -- that's the best way - just hanging with friends --that way you don't feel pressured about having just one person in your life. I lived that way 15 years and always had a good time, then when I met Mr. Right I recognized he was Mr. Right pretty quickly.

Apples and Eva -- you two are so much fun -- sounds like you're all having a blast. Wish we could all be there and join in the fun.

Well, gotta work. Hpefully the site will be up and running tonight/tomorrow morning.

Love to all,

Linda

Good Late Morning Gang..

Well I have been addicted to my games on FB - these quest/mission have me going - I am just a little bit to competative with the stupid computer - but guess it's better than gambling & or eating - hell I didn't get off till like 8:30 last night - too late to cook plus didn't take anything out cuz nothing sounded good in the morning - so had egg beater omelett and then some popcorn - juice and bed..

Meredith - wine is a liquid :0) - carbs make you retain Water too - my trainer says that before a competition they eat pt & veggies only so that they can lean out.. WTG on the pouch test..

I go on the scale this a.m. haven't in the longest (maybe since after vacation) - my clothes are fitting fine and that's my usual way of telling if I have put on a couple lbs - well I'm just fine 137 - so within my 4 lbs range 136-140 - but I though I just better ck..

Well gotta get back to work - just cking in

Hey all,

WTG Janet! I don't think I ever weighed 137..LOL! Maybe when I was 7. ; )

It was down in the 40s last night! (after a high of 77 yesterday!) And now up to 72. But I had the heat on last night..LOL This morning I woke up cold and cooked Brunswick stew. I LOVE Brunswick stew, but if you aren't from the south, you may not like it. : ) It's a great high Protein stew though. I will post the recipe. I put a low carb BBQ Sauce, so you don't have the sugar. I also add Tobasco and Cayenne pepper to mine to give it a kick. Also, most recipes call for creamed corn, but I put in regular. I put beef, chicken and pork in mine. (the original stew used rabbit I think). I also add okra, tomatoes, lima Beans and corn to mine. SMELLS so good! Nelson even said, "what smells so good?!" I wish he would eat it but he won't.

Paula Deen's chicken Brunswick Stew

About Brunswick Stew

I got my Valentine's Day pedicure today! The place was already packed at 9:15, they open at 9. I had to go to Walmart and kill time since I didn't have an appt. How does one spend $250 when just killing time??? Damn, I could have had a barium swallow instead! LOL

CBL folks...peasout.. Laura

Greetings! I am home from Denver. Got home about 2 this afternoon. We had a big snowstorm yesterday and the roads were really bad so I didn't want DD to drive me to the airport in that and risk getting stuck on her way home alone. Still no baby, she's off her anti contraction meds and off of bedrest. Depending on her gall bladder pain the dr may induce her in a week or so. It's gotten really bad and plus she's so small as far as showing goes and is all baby and it's pushing very hard on her ribs, she's just miserable. Plan is still on to go to Hawaii on Sunday but if she goes into labor I will go to Denver instead. I figure she'll wait til I get to Hawaii and then go into labor. LOL

Julie, sorry to hear your DD is having gall bladder issues as well. Her due date is my birthday, good day to have a baby!

Linda, I've enjoyed reading your experience with the Protein and 5 day pouch test. You don't sound preachy at all. We all gotta do what works best for us and share our successes and failures.

Well I got lots of laundry to do and errands, going to take DH to work tomorrow so I can have the car, mine is still in the shop from my accident, supposed to be done on Friday. I have not driven since it either, so am nervous.

Done with Day 3 of 5DPT. Wine does have carbs, but the less sweet the wine the lower on the glycemic index. I've taken off 4 lbs as of this morning, so we'll see what I am tomorrow morning. I'd already lost a lb before starting the 5DPT. I mostly used Protein shakes and SF pudding and mousse the first two days. Half and half in my coffee. Today I had Protein shake, 2 small pork sausages, 4 small meatballs with a little 4cheese Pasta sauce. 1 Atkins Peanut Butter chocolate Protein Bar and Italian sausage in spaghetti sauce for supper. Felt band but didn't pb.

Kids all over the school were trying to sell me candy bars today. The 4th-8th grade choir members (almost all the kids in those grades) are earning themselves a trip to Great America where they will also perform.

Monday night I was at a meeting with brownies and choc. covered pretzels and other goodies. I took along my SF pudding and mousse. Tonight I was at a meeting after school that had frosted brownies, fresh baked choc chip Cookies, and pita chips with spinach dip. Just kept thinking about what I was planning for supper to keep my mind off of it.

Probably eating almost 1000 calories a day, probably more today, but I have never kept track of calories. But I know I will continue to lose as long as I keep the carbs to a minimum. I'm feeling physical hunger, which I wasn't allowing myself to feel before, but I don't let that go on very long because physical hunger can lead to insatiable eating. I'd rather eat Protein more frequently and stave it off. So, 5 lbs off. 5 lbs to go. It was the physical pain and limitations combined with snow confinement that really got me gaining the past couple of weeks. Plus, as I gained weight, I couldn't eat as much solid Protein because it made me pb as my band got tighter. So I turned more to sliders to feel full and like I'd eaten enough. So some denser protein the next 2 days along with softer Proteins. Such a relief to be able to eat enough meat in one sitting to feel satisfied.

I've been hanging from my inversion table for longer periods of time and it is gradually stretching out my compressed and distressed spinal column and hip. Still have pain but I made myself do my stairwalk for 15 minutes yesterday and 30 minutes today. Have to keep the muscles strong to hold the spine and hip in place. Really tired by the end of the school day though.

LadyK, try two or 3 days of Liquid Protein like I did and see if helps. One of the reasons I'm doing the 5DPT is to avoid ever having to go in for an unfill. I don't want to end up with all the reflux, pbing, hiccups, etc. that come from being too tight. I'd rather do whatever it takes to lose the weight before I get really bad. I must say, everyone's horror stories have really motivated me to get this 10 lbs off.

I'd really like to see everyone post about what it was like for them before they got the band, why they got the band, and the improvements they've seen and the NSV's they've experienced since getting the band. One of my incentives for getting this 10 lbs off is that I don't want to have to buy a new, larger wardrobe--again. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt and had it framed. Those were old behaviors. Lose/gain, lose/gain, lose/gain. When I cleaned out my closet this time, it was with the determination to keep only one size it. I only have enough clothes to fit in that one closet. I have better things to do with my money than buy clothes that only fit for a while. I want to wear out my size 10 pants, not outgrow them. LOL.

Cheri

Laura - Thank you, thank you. I requested Carafate and a script was written. I feel this office only wanted my $16,500 and NO FOLLOW UP CARE is considered. My acid reflux was HORRIBLE last night. I would have paid anything $$$$ to get relief night.

Unfill of about 1 cc using a scan. NP said there is a gas bubble in my stomach. When I asked how to relieve that, "blah, blah".... it will go away.

Can you tell, I have NO trust, respect for my surgeons office. I have an appt. to return in a month - my last appt included for the initial $16,500.

My sincere thanks to all my lap band sisters to helping guide/share this journey.

It snowed 3" again last night. yuk

hi...all

Well back from my day....tired!! Before work I needed to get my petition to the court that I was making.....so stood at the bank to get that happened....after work ran to "staples" to make copies of all the petitions then ran to the court to drop off petition...where they kept me waiting about 1/2 hour because they wanted to check everything before I left...first time this happened. Afterwhich ran to my surgeon appointment where the PA....said she knew that I reallly needed to get an unfil last time I came but really couldnt make me but knew it was the best thing. She was right so we took out 1/2 fill. She is also sending me for an upper GI on Monday morning just to make sure their is no slippage etc. I guess its best to be safe. In any case I lost three pounds....so down to 143. yea...me.

Tomorrow night support group so will be going after work. Have a million things to do for the bat mitzvah including sending out the last two invitations....one to Dassis aunt and uncle in Israel...who the aunt is coming but still need to send the invitation and have asked them to email me their exact address and still no response lol. More important is the other brother who lives here whom we havent spoken since the divorce and I need his address and the Israeli brother was supposed to send me both.....grrrr. Now he will think I didnt send it out before 5 weeks on purpose...and im too damn stubborn to just call information to get it....as im not sure it will be the right one as he moved several times. Maybe I just dont care if he comes. Dassi doesnt even know him at all....never even phoned her since Ron died. Dont even know why im inviting him at all....except its the right thing to do! SO...am waiting for the addresses.

Well....was invitied to the guy down the hall for Friday night dinner with Dassi and her two friends that will be staying over. lol.....lord dont why I accepted. I told him I would make chicken and bring it because the last time he came to us....he made something a little undetectable and he wouldnt come here as he seemed intent on having us come to him as he has come here with his daughter twice since we moved in. Dont know why however he is so determined to have us...but he hasnt given up for about two months now of trying to have us but weve had plans every weekend for months lol. So...this week he wouldnt let me get out of it and tonight came by to confirm so we are stuck! I guess it could be worse.....he could be awful but he isnt so bad....just think hes a little self absorbed or maybe just unaware.

In any case it should be interesting. Dassi isnt too thrilled as his daughter iis two years younger then Dassi so she isnt really interested in playing with her at all but she and her friend is coming along for the ride. Maybe we should eat before we go. lol I am so mean.

okay.....it feels like Thursday but is only Wednesday? Long Long week.....

Would like to go to gym but will not get there till Friday but will be going!!! Then I hope to get back to some sort of new routine....Starting with Sunday morning class.....must must get back to gym. I know its the only thing between me and great success...must must fit it in the schedule, just so difficult to do as I cant even get a reg work sched each week to be the same.....so frustrating.

Okay now that ive bored you all with my life in a rut.

Hope everyone is good.......Lori....the baby should come at a good time.....as we say and when god wants it to happen...till then I hope she feels better soon.

Enjoy the time.

Someone asked about Chicago....but no I dont think that would be possible or at least cant even think about that now when is this happening again? lol. Sorry....was it in June in the end? What was the dated that was decided on in the end?

Have a good night all......

Jodi

Greetings! I am home from Denver. Got home about 2 this afternoon. We had a big snowstorm yesterday and the roads were really bad so I didn't want DD to drive me to the airport in that and risk getting stuck on her way home alone. Still no baby, she's off her anti contraction meds and off of bedrest. Depending on her gall bladder pain the dr may induce her in a week or so. It's gotten really bad and plus she's so small as far as showing goes and is all baby and it's pushing very hard on her ribs, she's just miserable. Plan is still on to go to Hawaii on Sunday but if she goes into labor I will go to Denver instead. I figure she'll wait til I get to Hawaii and then go into labor. LOL

Well I got lots of laundry to do and errands, going to take DH to work tomorrow so I can have the car, mine is still in the shop from my accident, supposed to be done on Friday. I have not driven since it either, so am nervous.

Oh... when our first grandchild was born, Adam, my fireman grandson, now 22, I was at my sister's in AZ. He was EARLY!! And I didn't get home until he was several days old. I cried when I heard his cry over the phone!! And again when I finally got to hold him. Then when we started our "2nd round" of grandchildren in 2001, she was early, too. We were living in OK so I'd booked a trip to Seattle in what I thought would be the right time frame, but babies just don't follow our schedules or submit to our "plans"!! LOL~ ! I hope yours isn't born while you are in Hawaii!!!

Hope you get your car back SOON!!

I'd really like to see everyone post about what it was like for them before they got the band, why they got the band, and the improvements they've seen and the NSV's they've experienced since getting the band. One of my incentives for getting this 10 lbs off is that I don't want to have to buy a new, larger wardrobe--again. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt and had it framed. Those were old behaviors. Lose/gain, lose/gain, lose/gain. When I cleaned out my closet this time, it was with the determination to keep only one size it. I only have enough clothes to fit in that one closet. I have better things to do with my money than buy clothes that only fit for a while. I want to wear out my size 10 pants, not outgrow them. LOL.

Cheri

Before I was banded.... we'd switched to Fat Free, sugar free, etc. several years prior when I was having problems with cholesterol and BP, but both of us were eating way too much, especially me. I have always loved my carbs.... rice, potatoes, Pasta. My clothes were 3X minimum, up to 5X in certain things and had to buy most everything online. I would have "daytime" nightmares about how many big strong pall bearers it would take to carry me to my grave, if a casket could be found to fit me! I hated going to restaurants that had chairs with side arms because occasionally I would have to ask for another chair. I always opted for a booth if possible, and then sometimes I wouldn't fit between the booth and the table.

I hated flying because I knew any seatmates would hate sitting next to me and I always had to ask for a seat belt extender. Once, a stewardess had pity on my seatmate and moved me to an empty seat in first class to give me "more room". Having severe knee problems in addition to weighing 300+ lb, I had to ask for a wheelchair to transport to/from the gates, and they would invariably send a skinny little girl with an equally skinny wheelchair to pick me up and I either wouldn't fit or the wheels would be rubbing against my hips.

I am not at goal and have been stalled for over a year. I want to lose another 50 lb. BUT... I no longer need a seat belt extender... or a wheelchair. Restaurant chairs and booths are not a problem. I'm wearing between a 16/18 and an XL, though I still have a few 1X and 2X (mostly made in China-LOL-they run small) in my closet. Some of them favorites I'm not yet ready to give up. Strength of my 2 BP meds has been cut in half and one of my cholesterol meds discontinued. My last cholesterol reading, a year ago, was 158.

My husband gets annoyed because I slide the car seat al the way up when I drive and usually forget to move it back. I used to have to keep it all the way back and I am so short that I don't know how I ever reached the pedals with it like that!

That's about all that I can think of right now, but.... definitely many positive changes in my life!

Laura - Thank you, thank you. I requested Carafate and a script was written. I feel this office only wanted my $16,500 and NO FOLLOW UP CARE is considered. My acid reflux was HORRIBLE last night. I would have paid anything $$ to get relief night.

Unfill of about 1 cc using a scan. NP said there is a gas bubble in my stomach. When I asked how to relieve that, "blah, blah".... it will go away.

Can you tell, I have NO trust, respect for my surgeons office. I have an appt. to return in a month - my last appt included for the initial $16,500.

My sincere thanks to all my lap band sisters to helping guide/share this journey. It snowed 3" again last night. yuk

So sorry that you are not getting adequate support from your healthcare professionals. That is pathetic!!

Hope things get better for you soon!

And hope your winter is over SOON, too!! You are sure getting hit hard this year. We lived in OKC for over 15 years, and I am amazed at the weather they've been getting!! Unreal!! Never saw that kind of weather be so persistent the whole time we lived there!

Phyll, thank you so much for posting that. Incredibly inspirational! I know many of us are not at our ultimate goal, but we still have many things to Celebrate and remembering how bad it was is an incredible incentive not to go back. I hope more of you post. We need to remember and we need to be honest. It really was bad. It really was horrible. And we don't want to go back!!!!!!

You all are amazing women! I find your posts inspiring! I am offically a bander as of yesterday!

Surgery was a success! Up after 30 mins after surgery had to go pee. A little sore upper stomach & chest. No pain meds needed :). 2 day pre-op & as a bander!

I look foward to being more active after recover on the site.

Have a great week all!

K