Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi there, just a note before taking my nightime meds....... Lori, I feel for you with that fall...... I actually felt a bit less sore today after mine on Sunday...... I think there's hope....... Take care of yourself...

Cheri, my story really is about the same as Phyll's.... Only I'm tall and at one time had been over 400.... was 387 when I had surgery... I didn't have any of the comorbidities that so many overweight people have.. I was lucky that way. I hated not having a lap....... I do now and it's so nice to be able to hold my grandkids on my lap without a problem.... I also wasn't able to do much walking at all.... I would use the motorized carts in any store that had them.... Standing in a line was almost unbearable..... Even though I have been on maintenance now for 18 months, I'm so glad I have this band.... With all my medical problems I would certainly have eaten myself back to 400 by this time if I didn't have it.... Instead it stops me and lets me know that it's there and it's waiting to start workinkg again when I'm ready.. I want to lose at leat 70 more pounds...... I truley believe that I will do that when my body is ready to work on it..... Right know I'm content to maintain and be so happy that I don't have to worry about all this things Phyll mentioned... I would reccommend the lap-band to anyone who has weight issues.....

Time to get ready for bed.... hugs and love to all............ Julie

Hi Gals, and welcome KisKis! You will love being banded.

My "ah-ha" moment was not just a single moment, but every day when I would bend over to tie my shoes or put my socks on. In fact, I wouldn't bend over, I would have to sit on the couch and force my leg up onto the other one and hold my breath while I attempted to put my shoes on. It was awful. I was 26 years old and 278 pounds. I was disgusted with myself and I knew that I was sick of being fat. Everyone would always tell me "you have such a pretty face". I couldn't stand to hear it one more time. I knew that if they were to continue their sentence, they would go on to say "but you're fat". One lady at work actually did go so far as to tell me that i was so pretty but needed to "lose some weight". I wanted to look at her and say, "really? No shit sherlock?" But I didn't. What made it worse, is that she is fat. Not as fat as I was, but pretty large. After her rude comment I told her "Thank you for letting me know I'm fat. Thats why I'm having Lap Band surgery next week". She then proceeded to tell me that her grand daughter had "the same operation and she lost weight and gained it back, plus some!" I walked away. Both sad and happy. Sad because I knew she was right. I was fat and I needed to do something about it. I was miserable in my own skin. But happy because I knew that I would prove her wrong, but most importantly, I would prove to myself that I could do it and be successful! Here we are, 1 1/2 years later and 100 pounds lighter! I saw that lady again today. She tried to make small talk, I wasn't interested in what she had to say.

People sometimes wonder how Andrew and I work? I am eccentric and loud, he is quieter and looks like a "computer nerd". I was fat, he was thin. He got a full ride scholarship to the University of Michigan right out of highschool, I failed my first year of college right out of high school, quit and went to beauty school (I have redeemed myself with graduating from university cum laude though!). You get the picture. The fact of the matter is, none of these things matter to either one of us. We love one another for who each other is. Quirks and all. I love that man. Though tonight, no one would have known it. We fought, but everything is fine now. We haven't fought in awhile. It was all about him being a work-a-holic. I was feeling lonely, and blah blah, poor me, you know the drill. HELLO MEREDITH!!!! Thank God he has a job and works so hard! DUH! I was being selfish and sometimes the two of us need to break it down to one another and tell it like it really is. Bottom line, we love each other no matter what, and that is all that matters. Although he did tell me that he will try to improve upon his schedule and he was sorry that he made me feel that way.

I had to give him a shout out, especially since we had a tough night. They happen.

So, its day 4 of the pouch test. Yesterday I did have a little lettuce with my soft Protein, but I'm ok. Today I had a TON of Protein and feel better. My dad made stir fry with steak when i stopped over for lunch (i finished work early) i picked out the meat and the onions and ate only those, and he also made some cabbage Soup. I had about a cup of that and hour after the steak. Later on, i came home and had to cook up the round steaks I had in the fridge marinating for two days. I cooked it on the George Forman and sliced it extremely thin. I ate about 4 oz while i was slicing because I knew andrew would be home late. I made him a salad with steak, tomatoes, onion, lettuce, and a homemade vinegarette. No salad for me. So once again, Cheri and Linda, you are both so very right! I'm 5 lbs down and am not feeling the crazy hunger when between meals and I am so much more satified. Thank you to both of you!

Eva~ I hear ya girl! Sometimes I find it so hard to balance things out. You are right, we shouldn't feel obligated to do something with someone if we are somewhat "co-dependant", but on the flip side, we do need to maintain relationships and friendships. It's a delicate balance. Really, I think that I just might like to hibernate for awhile and concentrate on getting this last 20-25 lbs off! Hope you gals have fun over at Janets this weekend! Sounds like trouble to me!

Lori~ Pay the money!!!! The less points on your record, the better. Just my opinion. My friend who is an attorney advised me that this was the way to go when I got a speeding ticket a few years ago. Points mean your insurance goes up automatically. At least in Michigan that is the way it works, and we are a "no fault" state. Sorry about your fall. You poor thing. Your break is coming, HAWAII!!!!! I think all of us should join you there. Can you tell its 3 degrees here?

Thanks to everyone for you inspiring stories and reminding me why I got my band. I cannot be happier and know that my tool has helped me to get soooo close to my goal! All of you are such an inspiration to me!

Love you all!

Meredith

Meredith, we all love you too! Glad the 5 DPT is working so well for you - it really does remind you of how the band works and as a bonus, you lose some weight and it feels good. I was wearing my Junior size 11 pants tonight with the studs on the back pockets -- I got a call to fill in at the last minute for a card club -- all the ladies are older -- than even me -- and they got a kick out of my pants and noticed those studs. LOL. Quite the difference.

One of my pre-band experiences was one day I stopped in a grocery store after work to get a few things. We were still living in Long Beach then -- I was in line at the cash register and this young woman came up with an over flowing cart, one kid in her arms and another hanging onto the cart and rudly told me to let her go in front of me "because you are fat and probably live alone cause no one as fat as you could have anyone waiting for them at home" or something to that effect. I've mentioned this story here before but thought it was worth repeating since we're relating our stories about what our lives were like pre-banding. I remember how mortified I was -- it was a store I was in all the time -- and the worst part is no one came to my defense - not the cashier, no other shoppers no one and she was loud and obnoxious, etc. I just started to sob and left the store. And still I didn't do anything about my weight for about 5 more years -- that's what's so unbeliveable to me. I didn't deserve that treatment but I sure wish it had caused me to have my "ah ha" moment - could have saved my life.

Well, it's late, I gotta get to bed. Janet, I'm so glad Andrew is okay and wasn't working during the robbery - that's terrible - I agree with you -- if I'm going to go to jail for ribbing, it would have to be for more than $200 -- but then again, I'm not on illegal drugs needing a fix. Glad no one got hurt. Poor girls were probably scared to death. What an experience.

Joyce, glad you are changing doctors, and I' commend you for doing as well as you have under the circumstances. Same with you Julie, with all you've been dealing with, so glad you've been able to maintain.

Meredith, sorry about your fight with Andrew -- but that''s a normal/healthy relationship -- glad you made up quickly.

Gotta get some sleep.

Later.

Linda

Thanks guys for your support. All is good. I have been walking tons. Today I am going to walk around the yard & put on a sports bra - yipee. Tomorrow I have m parents arriving for the weekend. Family all weekend which will be nice. I am so board as I am use to runing around doing a million things. Have a great day all!

Good morning. My right arm, wrist, shoulder are pretty stiff and sore this morning but nothing worse than that thank goodness. Last night my right hand wouldn't stop shaking, DH wanted me to go get it checked out but that's gone this morning. He promises to try and chip away at the ice, it should melt today too. It's just a real small layer from just a skiff of snow we got, frustrating. North driveways! GRRRR

The auto body place called last night and my car is all fixed so we are picking it up today. Also, have to get a pedicure for Hawaii, of course! LOL DH is working from home and we may go to lunch today.

Meredith, DH and I had that same arguement yesterday most of it on the phone as he was getting ready to board a flight to Phoenix. We continued last night when he got home and all is good now. He is a major workaholic.

Janet, when I was 18 I worked at a Walgreens, I was the lady in blue. Remember those? not sure if all had them but it meant you worked the cosmetic counter. Anyway we got robbed twice, once when I was filling in at the RX cash register a man with a gun came and demanded drugs. The other time it was my day off and someone came in as they closed the store and locked everyone up in a back room where we tossed all the empty boxes etc. It was scary. I quit shortly after that.

Morning all TGIF!!! Have a good one and a great weekend. Taking Aylah to her first real high tea tomorrow -- will post pics on FB. Can't wait.

Kiskis --you're doing great -- keep it up -- the walking is so good for you.

Linda

Ok my turn to b!tch about this site. Posted a long response and click boom gone. Ticked me off so bad I shut the computer down and went out in the frigid cold.

Lets see if I can remember what I said.

Linda and Cheri, thank you both so much for all the information you two put on here of us. I really appreciate all the knowledge and help. My problem was not the carbs, I have hardly eaten any in the last 1 1/2 year. I was getting a great big container of almonds and eating them instead of meals. Then a couple of hours later I was back into them because they weren't keeping me full. I knew they had Protein so I thought I was ok, didn't compute all the fats in that thought. Now I am back to solid Protein, making meals, no Snacks and doing a lot better.

Before my band I was kind of doing a test on people. I would look right at everyone and acknowledge them, most people would look, turn away and not look at a fat person. So after I lost a lot of the weight I continued it and the results are very different. Kind of pissed me off that people do that. It's like if you are fat you are not worth seeing or acknowledging as a person. I have tried to make sure I do not do this to anyone regardless of what they look like.

I can't say I had an "ah" moment just everything put together. Living it up now!

Laura K

Lori glad you're feeling better today -- have a great time in Hawaii!!

Linda

Good Morning Peeps

Hugs Lori on your fall - glad you didnt break anything.. You need to get those thingies for your shoes so you don't slip on the ice.

How scary to be robbed like that - I have had my house broken into a few times - even once while we were alseep (garage not locked - back in the old days when you didn't - pre automatic door days ;0).

Meredith LOL on you and Andrew - opposities attrach ;0)

Linda - Can't get over that girl in the grocery store - I have seen that situation played out on what would you do.. Yep there are a lot of pple who don't want to get involved.. I would have most likely cussed her out.

LauraK - Yep pple don't pay attention to fat pple - when I went to the lapband conference a few years ago - so many of the women talked about not getting jobs - being discrimated against because they were fat..

Cheri - As usual you are so eloquent in your words!!!

Well really a drive by - I'm at work - got my food shopping done last night - Andrew had changed the sheets on my bed but hadn't used softner- so I had to strip and re-rinise in softner and remake - I hate stripping and remaking beds.. Talked to Sister - bbq steak - ate maybe 2 oz - it was a rib eye but too tough - I really can only do Costco's filet migon..

Work is busy - we are getting new computers and I have been elected to be the tester - we are going from window xp and 2003 outlook to windows 7 and 2010 outlook - suppose to be major changes - so I'm the tester - guess I am going to have to get windows 7 for dummies and 2010 outlook for dummies ;0).

Only here til noon - Eva & Karen are to arrive around 2 - but bet it's earlier... CBL

Love to all that I missed...

Janet~ So scary about the Robbery! Hugs that all is ok. Have fun with the girls! Tell them all hello for us! xoxo

Lori~ Hope you are doing ok since your fall. I think they should make heated driveways like they do floors. Just my opinion. : ) Any news on the cervix?

Julie~ Glad you are feeling better.

Meredith~ You two are like two peas in a pod. : ) Sometimes even a pea needs a little room... and sometimes a pea needs to be next to the other pea. I hear you.

Just a fly by. Just got my hair did. LOL. Feel sooooo much better. Have AC people coming for 6 mo. maint. (a must in FL) DH on call tonight. : ( Opening day for the basball season is tomorrow! First the opening ceremony then the kids have a carnival! Such fun. I'm down 5 lbs since my unfill and 2 days of liquids!!! I made that Brunswick stew and had it 3 days in a row! All the Fiber keeps your whistle clean! TGIF! peasout..Laura

I'm gutting it through my last day of 5DPT. I think 4 lbs will be my total loss, 5 with the loss before starting the 5DPT. Now for what Kaye Bailey calls Day 6. I'm going to read more about what she says, but the fact is, I know I have to keep eating like I have on the 5DPT most of the time. That's how I lost before and that's how I maintained.

KISS Keep It Simple Stupid

Mostly Protein most days.

Exercise as able.

Kristi, welcome. Sandi, Chris, Jessica, Melissa,Candace? Anyone else out there?

I'm truly enjoying everyones's stories. Keep them coming. We need those reminders.

Day 3 post-op all is going well. Went to see my massage therapist and she worked the kinks out of my neck, back & shoulders, best thing I could do.

God, I hate when I have to cough I feel like I could bust a gut!

Had a nice outing to the store with a little shopping.

Loved my Tomato Soup at lunch today & looking forward to my 4 tablespoons of creamy mashed potatoes.

Looking forward to my shower tomorrow, big event!

My Ah Ha Moment Story -

My highest was 283. My I had it moment was when I went to CA. for a vacation and went to an animal park with my Mom. You had to walk everywhere and it was long hilly walks. I had to get a ride back to the front of the park from a guy with a golf cart because I could not walk anymore I felt so ashamed. And I was sweating so much I felt like a pig. Also I was with my sister and my mom and they kept saying I kept them up from snoring so much at night and that was cause of my weight. I came back home and started the process for the LB. I orginally wanted to have bypass like my Mom however I had Liver surgery in the past and due to the adhesions it was safer for me to have the LB. I got my band on 07/03/2008 and followed my Drs plans to a T and my lowest weight was 211.

I got cocky and also got my band to tight and started gaining weight due to me not following my Drs rules. I had some Fluid taken out and have restarted over following my Dr rules. I am currently doing the 5 day this is day 1 so far so good.

Morning everyone - wonder if the site was down last night since no one posted after Melissa.

I agree, it's good to re-share our stories to remind ourelves and others why we needed this surgery to egin with - very inspiring to read them.

Kiskis -- sounds like you have a good surgeon who has given you a good plan to follow -- good for you for getting a massage. If you feel good and do good things for yourself during this phase you'll do better -- you have to really be a bit selfish during the process and put yourself first. You haven't told us much about yourself - are you married or have a signifiant other or have kids? Do you work? We are nosy and love to get to know our newbies - if you feel comfortable sharing with us we'd like to get to know you better. I see you live in Canada, Peaches is in Canada -- she checks in here occasionally but is more involved with her Lucky Sevens thread.

I'm so disappointed -- they canceled the tea this afternoon - Aylah was the only one who rsvp'd so they only had her coming and so they canceled. I can't believe in this crummy town there weren't 7 other little girls who wanted to dress up and go to "tea". I hope they'll try again - maybe they didn't advertise it well enough. And Aylah is just disapponted beyond belief -- I'll have to take her to a real "tea" place -- I think there's some around Des Moines, just gotta find one.

Laura you and Nelson have fun at the opening day activiites - sounds like fun - I bet he's excited.

Gotta get ready for Zumba. Have a good weekend/Sat. everyone.

Janet, Eva, Apples - hope you're having fun - post some pics.

Linda

Good Afternoon Gang! I am just checking in. Not much to report other than I still have this crappy cough and cold. I thought it was just allergies.....NOT! I guess I have at least four more days of not breathing through my nose. I have enjoyed reading the reasons peeps got the band. Linda, I cannot believe someone told you that you needed to get out of the way because you were fat.......how RUDE! Poor Aylah missing high tea. We have a tea room in our town just for little girls to dress up and have parties. I have seen pictures from them, but I have not been to one.

Okay, I did my part to keep the threading going.