Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hello everyone my name is tasha i have some issues with getting the lapband. My sugrey was scheduled for feb 16 which was yesterday and i didn't go. Iam so scared to be put to sleep and thats what worries me the most. I really need to loss weight i have two kids and I cant really do things with them without my back and legs hurting. I have been blessed so far not to have any serious health problems but I know for a fact I will have some if i keep gaining weight. Iam 33 years old and I weight 280 and Iam 5'7 my BMI is 45.2. I would love to know about any of your experiences with the lapband process.

Thank you in advance

Welcome home Lori!

WTG.....Kristi.........20lbs.......WOOHOO!!!!!

Phyl,.........your scaring me! Go to the doctor!!!!!! HUGS!!!!

LInda, you are brave to keep Snacks in the house. I can even overdo on crackers. I am a carb addict. Lately, I have been sewing which keeps my mind off of snacking. I am back in to piecing a quilt for my last grandbaby. Poor baby, she hasn't gotten her quilt and she is almost 6 mos old.

Hello everyone my name is tasha i have some issues with getting the lapband. My sugrey was scheduled for feb 16 which was yesterday and i didn't go. Iam so scared to be put to sleep and thats what worries me the most. I really need to loss weight i have two kids and I cant really do things with them without my back and legs hurting. I have been blessed so far not to have any serious health problems but I know for a fact I will have some if i keep gaining weight. Iam 33 years old and I weight 280 and Iam 5'7 my BMI is 45.2. I would love to know about any of your experiences with the lapband process.

Thank you in advance

Hey, Shanaya....welcome...did you just not show up for surgery, or did you let them know you would not be there? Do you have another chance? Nothing wrong with stepping back if you feel you are not ready. It's a BIG plus to be prepared. Best thing that happened to me was when my insurance company insisted on a six month medically supervised diet. It gave me the opportunity to take it all in and be prepared to realize that this would be a life changing opportunity. I did not want to wake up in recovery and feel like the rug was yanked out from under me. I woke up and KNEW I could make it. My point....you have to be prepared in order to succeed.

I am in hopes that you have another chance, but, take the time to research, prepare and know what you are in for. It's a really big change....key word...change.

Shanya - I have only been banded for 1 week. I too was scared. I had tears of fear & joy starting 2 days prior to surgery. Surgery prep when they gave me oxigen for my asthama and left me alone in the room. I lost and started crying uncontrolable. I had my little cry & then pulled it together as I know that I would be happy on the other side. Leaving the fat girl behind and starting my new journey to the new me. I also pulled myself together as I didn't want them to cancel my surgery. I was so scared to fail my pre-op diet as well. I told hardly anyone that I was getting a lapband. Not even my parents. The fear of failure has been huge. Now i am on the right path and staying motivated to create success!

Hi all - Thanks for all your positive support. I started stage 3 of pureed Protein. Yummy, but I was hungry all day. So I just sipped Protein shakes. Today I got back on my eliptical for 15 mins on level 1 and then a 15 min walk. 15 min seams to be the max then my main stitch pulls so I stop.

Treated myself to a pedicure, polish change today & brows threaded :). Pretty in pink!

Lori - welcome home!

Phyllser - get better!

All - have a great evening & rest of the week!

Cheers,

Kristi

Hey, Shanaya....welcome...did you just not show up for surgery, or did you let them know you would not be there? Do you have another chance? Nothing wrong with stepping back if you feel you are not ready. It's a BIG plus to be prepared. Best thing that happened to me was when my insurance company insisted on a six month medically supervised diet. It gave me the opportunity to take it all in and be prepared to realize that this would be a life changing opportunity. I did not want to wake up in recovery and feel like the rug was yanked out from under me. I woke up and KNEW I could make it. My point....you have to be prepared in order to succeed.

I am in hopes that you have another chance, but, take the time to research, prepare and know what you are in for. It's a really big change....key word...change.

Morning everyone. I must have been sleeping very deeply cause I was dreaming about having an apt. with a horse in it as a pet -- it acted more like a dog. LOL. I also had a pet snake so I know it was WEIRD as I am totally scared to death of snakes. It's weird what we dream sometimes! If any of you want to interpret that for me, feel free. LOL.

Lorie, glad you are home -- glad you enjoyed yourself and happy that your DD didn't go into labor while you were there. Any day/minute now -- so exciting!

Phyl so sorry to hear you are sick -- hopefully it will clear up quickly - nothing worse than being that sick when you have company.

Janet, I hope you're feeling better too - what you have sounds like what I had last week -- I was really feeling "sick" but had no energy and had terrible body aches. Hope today is better.

WE've had Aylah all week -- she's fun but I'm tired. Poor DH is really exhausted as he's been with her day and night.

Shanaya, welcome. I was pretty scared the morning of surgery as well. I think part of is because it's elective surgery and we think "I don't HAVE to have this surgery" mentality that causes us to panic. I remember when they came in the room to put in my IV that I kept saying to myself "are you doing the right thing". I didn't say anything but even as I walked into the operating room I was thinking that. But after I woke up I was glad I had had it done. Just letting you know it's normal to feel scared and anxious but the surgery is the easiest part of the process - the hard part is changing your lifestyle. As I recently tested and found out -- we can never eat like we did before -- because if we do, we'll gain weight back. We have to eat healthy as Janet says "98% of the time" and enjoy our treats "occasionally when we plan them". You also need to commit to exercise -- at least one hour every day - if you have small kids you'll probably be pretty active chasing them -- but even better if you can work in an hour of some type of exercise and ME time as well. As someone who lived most of her life obese, I can tell you I wish I had lost the weight when I was young like you. I wish I had learned these lessons early in life so I could pass them along to my children also.

Before surgery I had sleep apnea, hight blood pressure, high cholesteral. Within just a few months of having surgery I was healthier, was able to get off the sleep apnea machine and quit taking most of my meds. I was lucky I wasn't diabetic. I had decided I wanted to "live" and see my grandchildren grow up. Did you have to do a pre surgery diet?

Well gang, hope you all have a great day -- it's Thursday and supposed to be in the 60s here today -- OMG -- we are all so excited -- you just don't know how exciting a promise of a spring day is here in cold country. LOL. Gotta get to Water aerobics. CBL.

Linda

Morning everyone. I must have been sleeping very deeply cause I was dreaming about having an apt. with a horse in it as a pet -- it acted more like a dog. LOL. I also had a pet snake so I know it was WEIRD as I am totally scared to death of snakes. It's weird what we dream sometimes! If any of you want to interpret that for me, feel free. LOL.

Lorie, glad you are home -- glad you enjoyed yourself and happy that your DD didn't go into labor while you were there. Any day/minute now -- so exciting!

Phyl so sorry to hear you are sick -- hopefully it will clear up quickly - nothing worse than being that sick when you have company.

Janet, I hope you're feeling better too - what you have sounds like what I had last week -- I was really feeling "sick" but had no energy and had terrible body aches. Hope today is better.

WE've had Aylah all week -- she's fun but I'm tired. Poor DH is really exhausted as he's been with her day and night.

Shanaya, welcome. I was pretty scared the morning of surgery as well. I think part of is because it's elective surgery and we think "I don't HAVE to have this surgery" mentality that causes us to panic. I remember when they came in the room to put in my IV that I kept saying to myself "are you doing the right thing". I didn't say anything but even as I walked into the operating room I was thinking that. But after I woke up I was glad I had had it done. Just letting you know it's normal to feel scared and anxious but the surgery is the easiest part of the process - the hard part is changing your lifestyle. As I recently tested and found out -- we can never eat like we did before -- because if we do, we'll gain weight back. We have to eat healthy as Janet says "98% of the time" and enjoy our treats "occasionally when we plan them". You also need to commit to exercise -- at least one hour every day - if you have small kids you'll probably be pretty active chasing them -- but even better if you can work in an hour of some type of exercise and ME time as well. As someone who lived most of her life obese, I can tell you I wish I had lost the weight when I was young like you. I wish I had learned these lessons early in life so I could pass them along to my children also.

Before surgery I had sleep apnea, hight blood pressure, high cholesteral. Within just a few months of having surgery I was healthier, was able to get off the sleep apnea machine and quit taking most of my meds. I was lucky I wasn't diabetic. I had decided I wanted to "live" and see my grandchildren grow up. Did you have to do a pre surgery diet?

Well gang, hope you all have a great day -- it's Thursday and supposed to be in the 60s here today -- OMG -- we are all so excited -- you just don't know how exciting a promise of a spring day is here in cold country. LOL. Gotta get to Water aerobics. CBL.

Linda

Linda - I have sleep apena and can't wait to ditch the machine. How long after your surgery did you get ridof it? I can't wait!

All - Today I get too see my 2 god boys & my BFF for lunch today! Have a great day all!

Cheers,

Kristi

I was able to get rid of the machine after I had lost 50 pounds -- so about 4 months or so.

Linda

Good morning. Wouldn't you know the whole time we were in Hawaii it was about 60 here, we come home and it snowed last night. LOL I am ready for some spring. I enjoy the change in seasons but winter is usually about a month too long. LOL

DD has a dr appt this morning at 1030 and they are going to discuss possible inducing of labor. I am anxious to hear if I gotta go pack quick for a trip to Denver to meet my granddaughter soon.

Shanaya, I think it's normal to be scared before surgery but if you just no showed your surgery that's probably not. You can get a lot of info from just reading the various threads here on this website, but didn't you dr give you lots of info before as well? Mine I had to attend seminars, nutrition classes etc. and even see a psychologist to be sure I was mentally ready for this. Perhaps some counselling might help you out? Good luck to you. It is a major change and you have to really want it.

KisKis, congrats on the 20 lbs you are doing great!

Phyl, hope you are feeling better.

Laura, was that Nelson I saw in the dentist chair on your FB?

Good Morning Peeps

Have a little bit more energy this morning and that's after staying up till after 11 p.m. - Survivor & Idol !!! Survivor is going to be good - I love Boston Rob and I don't know why anyone would call him a bad guy - Russell ya - but you always have to have 1 person you really hate - and I dislike the girl who had the immunity idol last night - and I don't know about Phil - that was a good and dumb move at the same time..

Kristi - WTG 20 LBS & Exercise...

Linda - Where's Katie?? I know I would be TOTALLY pooped if I had a 4 yr old... It's just me and the dogs and I'm pooped LOL

Great - Can't wait to hear if you are going to be a GM soon..

Well I'm at work gotta get to it Hugs to all

Glad to see the thread is back up and running. Hope it stays that way.

Phyl, hope you feel better soon.

Linda, I don't think you are weird. I think you, like Janet, have a plan and stick to it. I admire you for your ability and willingness to do so. You are engaged with your weight loss and it's something I am struggling with. I am really enjoying reading your posts.

Kristi, congrats on the 20 lbs...it feels so good doesn't it?

Apples, we have clouds today....and humidity...feel like home?

Melissa....I think you have to engage your brain when you eat and can't stop. I tend to turn mine off and that's why I keep shoveling things in....and the wrong things....engage the brain and think about the food you put in your mouth. I'm starting to take what Janet says about it's your diet....not being on a diet....it's your diet....and everything you eat is your diet so you can choose to eat those high calorie high fat things or make better choices. I have the same problem and think some of that philosophy is starting to sink in. Janet is a smart woman. You are stronger than your urges....you are.

I'm studying and I really need to clean the house but it will wait until after class today. I can't believe how dirty the place is....I miss my house keeper. Anyway back to Spanish....this studying takes work.

Later ladies

Eva

Eva, thanks for not thinking i'm weird, especially after I told about that dream from this morning. LOL.

Janet, Katie is "sick" -- not sure what is going on. My DH doesn't want to do anything about it at the moment, so it appears I'm stuck for now. I just worry constantly about Aylah when she's over there, so I'd rather have her with us. But yes, it's exhausting.

Gotta work -- cbl.

Linda

OMG it's 70 outside!! Faboulous!

ok... i'm pissed.. how the heck did I miss SURVIVOR??????????????? ughhhh.

Yes Lori, Nelson was in the dentist chair. He lost his two front teeth at Christmas (25th and 26th) and only one of them came back in. I was worried I pulled out a permanent one! But alas, his tooth is in there, just taking its sweet time. Xrays revealed a cavity in a back molar. sigh. They put sealants on his 6 year old molars x 4 and all the other stuff. VERY expensive stuff. He handled it like a trooper though.

Cooking some beef stew. Smells good in this house. : )

SOrry for the flyby............ just got home from work. Will CBL....Laura

News

FDA Lowers Weight Requirements for Lap-Band Surgery

Cosmetic drug and device maker Allergan Inc. says it has received approval to market its stomach-shrinking Lap-Band to millions more patients who are less obese than those currently using the device.

The food and Drug Administration expanded approval to patients with a body mass index between 30 and 40 and one weight-related medical condition, such as diabetes. Patients must also have previously attempted other weight loss strategies, like diet and exercise.

Allergan said roughly 37 million American patients meet the new criterion for the device. The adjustable band has been available in the U.S. since 2001.

A ring is placed over the top of the stomach and inflated with saline to tighten it and restrict how much food can enter and pass through the stomach.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.