Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Well thank you Apples!!! First, I want to agree with you that this thread is a daily dose of what I also need. You all do seem really friendly and thats exactly what I need, is friends who understand.

As far as me I live in Moreno Valley, CA. I was banded 3/3/09; I am married and have 5 kids and 4 grandchildren. I have lost 47lbs so far and have about 95 to go!!! My husband and I are empty nesters, our baby went to college this fall in Texas. So my life has really changed a bit. I am a therapist by trade and love working with children and teenagers. I have been working out at least 2 hours a week with a private trainer since 2005, who actually talked me into getting banded because he had other clients who had done so and were doing great. I actually lost 40 lbs when I started working out with him, then slowly gained it back..the poor man felt so sorry for me and I felt sorry for him to have a cllient that gained all their weight back and some LOL LOL. My highest weight was 293 last September, I could barely walk. I have arthritis real bad in my knees. So loosing this 47 lbs feels so good because I can also most jog!!!! and my knees almost feel new!!!!

Well I want you all to know that I rushed home after a long day and grabbed my computer just so I could get on this site...and I look forward to the friendships. Really tired now going to call it night..

Someone brought up the topic of being "Thankful" and I will say that I am thankful for being able to spend time with my grandchildren with out feeling pain or being embarrssed by how I look...I know they love me anyways, but I didn't feel like I love myself...Be Blessed.:smile:

Tina - You are just around the corner from me (Indio)and Phyl (Desert Hot Springs)

We are the same age - and I got banded cuz I wanted to see my grandkids growup and maybe even some great grandkids (well not for a few more yrs) my gks are 18 15 and 5.. The 18 yr old lives with me - he's more like my son and in my heart he is..

WTG on your weight loss -!!!!

Glad to have you on board !!!

Hi everyone, thanks for all the congrats on the 96 lbs. I appreciate all your support and good wishes. Julie, hope you can get a good night's rest, sorry you are in more pain again tonight. By the way, loved the pics you posted of Mimi -- her ladybug costume was so cute. Laura, thinking of you and Nelson - hope he's better and of course, praying for your mom and dad. Hope all goes well tomorrow. Cheri, good idea, I'm thankful for my improved health, my band, my family, my dear friends and LAP-BAND® buddies. I'm grateful to have a good job with great benefits with a company that hasn't yet had any effects from the bad economy. I'm thankful for the strength God has given me for all areas of my life, but especially for the strength to take hold again of the reins and get my life back to good health. Janet, thanks for the willpower post -- it's all very true - we do have great willpower -- most of us have lost over 1000 lbs during the course of our lives. It's much easier to lose the weight than to maintain our new lifestyle -- especially to keep active. Meredith, any news on the house? Forgot to mention earlier how beautiful our weather has been - we've had a week of high 60s, low 70s, sunshine every day - and it's November! Unbelievable. Eva, I'm so jealous you get to visit witih Janet and Phyll. Have a fun time ladies! TTYL. Linda

Ya Linda we don't give ourselves enough credit sometimes - like today - I am hungry there is candy all over the place - but I walked by and said NO... but I gotta say that in the daytime I have more of it than at night - but again I have the will power to say Yes to the gym at nite :0)..

1. I am thankful that there is not one person here that claims to "know it all".

2. I am thankful for a supportive DH and two loving sons that I am so proud of and have turned into responsible adults.

3.I am thankful and blessed to live in our US of A and to experience freedom.

4. I am thankful for all the heroic young men and women that serve our country and allow me to live in my free world. I pray for those that have been killed, injured and emotionally injured while fighting for our freedom.

5. I am thankful that I can just slide into my jeans! (I know, I know, sounds pretty superficial after my first 4 statements).

6. I am thankful for my "empty nest dog" who really does sense when momma is lonesome for her boys and does somewhat fill that void.

7. I am extremely thankful for the many happy moments and loving memories I have of my "mom" and the time I was allowed to spend with her.

8. Last but not least...I am thankful for each and everyone of you. You have all been my "go to ppl" when I needed understanding, advice, or just a avenue to vent my frustrations. You have all been my daily inspiration. You have made me laugh and blow popcorn, coffee, whatever all over my desk. You guys have surrounded me during a time that I did not know I would make it through and I am ever so thankful to have each and every one of you in my life.:unsure:

Apples - you brought a tear to my eye on this !!!

Tinya,

Glad you are joining this group. They are all very helpful and supportive. Even if I don't post a lot I read this site almost every day.

I am thankful for my family and friends, my freedom and now my health. Life is only getting better and better. Some times I just have to step back from life and take a look to see I have it all.

I am a part-time empty nester as my son comes home from college on the weekends but as most kids do I don't see him much. sleep and friends.. So momma doesn't wait around for him either. Daughter will be home for a week at Thanksgiving then gone til Christmas but they do call me every few days.

Have a great day everyone and Happy Vets day to all.

Laura K

LauraK - I think it's better to have independant kids that one's who are 30 and still live at home w/mommy still taking care of them... lol - I have a gf who both kids still lives at home and they are like 29 & 27... No thanks

Morning...............I'M THANKFUL THAT MY PAIN HAS SUBSIDED again and I can make plans for the day. We are going to Mitchell, SD this weekend to see my brother and wife... They each have a birthday coming up so Big Sis must make something special to take along.. They both miss certain things since moving away a couple years ago.. Frosted molasses Cookies, pineapple rolls, and butterscotch pie.......... Will get these done between now and Friday morning when we leave... Everything freezes well except the pie... Mimi comes at noon so better get started on it soon....

I'm still on liquids so don't know if my fill has had any effect on me yet... I sure hope so as I need the help these days.... My PA was so complimentary yesterday, commenting on how good I looked.. I know what she and others are seeing, but I'm feeling differently as the weight just comes off so slow... I have started walking quite abit more now.. Usually take Mimi for a walk when she comes on these days that have been so nice. I tried putting her on the harness leash, but when she pulls against me it hurts my shoulder so had to go back to the stroller.. She sits quietly in it and that works so much better... I get a more even pace, too... I also have started my walking tape... did over a 1/4 mile this morning.. Seems like too little, but I have to take it slow I guess... I'M THANKFUL TO BE ABLE TO DO EVEN A LITTLE WALKING THAT I COULDN'T DO BEFORE MY BAND......

I'M THANKFUL FOR MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND, MY BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER AND MY AMAZING GRANDCHILDREN... GOD BLESSED ME.....

I, TOO, AM THANKFUL FOR ALL OF YOU.. IT'S SO COMFORTING TO HAVE FRIENDS WHO UNDERSTAND AND ARE THERE ANYTIME I NEED THEM... THANK YOU ALL......

Better get moving.......... cookies first, I think... Rolls tomorrow... You all have a great day... Julie

Julie - OMG don't know how you bake all that stuff and not eat it - sounds good I am hungry - have another hour till lunch - so I guess I will drink my Water and eat my vitimans..

Have a question.

Is it normal to be hungry after having a Protein Shake? Is this normal before your first fill?

I have them every 4 hrs like I should, well sometimes its Isopure., or broth or Jello, But feel like I could eat much more. The first few days I was totally stuffed after my 2 oz. Not anymore. Thnx :tongue_smilie:

Coconut

Yes - it's liquid and goes right thru and as you heal your restriction will decrease - so if it ok with your doc drink 4 oz and see how you do..

Hi guys,

Thanks for sending the thoughts,prayers and well wishes. I am in the O.R. Waiting room with mom and siblings. Nelson is at gm house w neighbor. I started him on antibiotics just in case. No other complaints- fever and no appetite. Dad was so happy to see him! Glad we came. We'll know more after this surgery. I am thankful for so much. Will write more later, right now am using phone to type. Ttyl. Peasout....laura

Prayers that everything goes as well today w/Dad's surgery..

And I am thankful for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:0) Charlene aren't we a lucky bunch !!!

Laura...thinking of you and anxiously waiting to hear how your dad handles his surgery and the rusults.

Coconut...hang in there on the hunger issues. The first couple of months are the toughest b/4 you start your fills. Making the healthiest choices possible during this stage will help you in the long run.

Laura K. Like Janet said, nothing wrong with raising kids that are independent. One of my biggest fears was having a 27 or older living in my basement. (Happens a lot around here and then married and the whole darned family lives together). Both mine left at 18. Sad, yes, but proud they could do it.

Yeah, Julie, the pain is better. Bet you feel like a million bucks when it subsides. Knee deep in baking today, I see. Must be family recipes that they are craving? I made a light cream cheese pumpkin bread. (120 cals for a large slice), coconut/banana cream pie (way too many cals in those) and a caramel turtle cheese cake (embarrsing amount of cals) this morning. Set on Desserts for my crowd until Friday. Oh yeah, made a double batch of crunchy cranberry Cookies. Tonight's dinner is chicken enchilada cheese bake. Not band friendly food but chilly and like to have comfort food for the guys when they put in such a long day.

Tiny...happy to see that you were excited to come back and "hang" with us.

Hey Jazlady...how you doing? One thing that really helped during weightloss phase was weighing and measuring. Really helps to be sure of what you are eating. Also, keeping a daily food journal is one of the things that will hold a person accountable. Kind of like balancing the check book. When your calories are spent for the day, that's it.

Janet...OK...what brought a tear to your eye? The spewing coffee and popcorn? ???

Thanks Janet. You've encourage me to begin again. I just got your letter today so I will try the protein/veggie thing tonight. How much is 4 oz? A palm size?

Jeanie

Jeanie - Ya palm size - deck of cards.. I know that some days I have restriction and others I could eat whatever - I think that's part of the whole band issue..

I agree that most of it is what we eat... So yep eat healthy concentrate on what your restriction is and go from there..

This is why I am so fanatical about my 5 lbs limit - I know how easily those 5 lbs can turn into 50 extra lbs - and I would be standing on the scale saying how in the hell did that happen..

This has bee my fear from day one - Figured I could lose it if I put my mind to it - it's where would I be in 5 yrs - would the weight still be off..

I have alot of pple at work - say oh you look fine - don't worry about 5 lbs - well yep I do have to worry cuz they multiply faster than rabbits :0)

Let us know how it goes...

Laura...thinking of you and anxiously waiting to hear how your dad handles his surgery and the results.

Coconut...hang in there on the hunger issues. The first couple of months are the toughest b/4 you start your fills. Making the healthiest choices possible during this stage will help you in the long run.

Laura K. Like Janet said, nothing wrong with raising kids that are independent. One of my biggest fears was having a 27 or older living in my basement. (Happens a lot around here and then married and the whole darned family lives together). Both mine left at 18. Sad, yes, but proud they could do it.

Yeah, Julie, the pain is better. Bet you feel like a million bucks when it subsides. Knee deep in baking today, I see. Must be family recipes that they are craving? I made a light cream cheese pumpkin bread. (120 cals for a large slice), coconut/banana cream pie (way too many cals in those) and a caramel turtle cheese cake (embarrsing amount of cals) this morning. Set on desserts for my crowd until Friday. Oh yeah, made a double batch of crunchy cranberry Cookies. Tonight's dinner is chicken enchilada cheese bake. Not band friendly food but chilly and like to have comfort food for the guys when they put in such a long day.

Tiny...happy to see that you were excited to come back and "hang" with us.

Hey Jazlady...how you doing? One thing that really helped during weightloss phase was weighing and measuring. Really helps to be sure of what you are eating. Also, keeping a daily food journal is one of the things that will hold a person accountable. Kind of like balancing the check book. When your calories are spent for the day, that's it.

Janet...OK...what brought a tear to your eye? The spewing coffee and popcorn? ???

No not that part - lol - the sentimental stuff - but ya isn't funny that we will be sitting at our computers and cracking up on what we read - also as my day goes by and something happens - I gotta come and tell my girls whats going on -

Heck if I won the lottery - I bet the 1st place I would come would be to lbt to tell you guys and my lucky #7..

Janet, I ate 2 oz. of baked chicken for lunch and about 3/4 c. fresh fruit. I was stuffed and had a hard time getting the chicken down. That answers my question about whether I need a fill. But, even without drinking I got hungry again after 1 1/2 hrs. Ate a Protein Bar. I could eat again now but not sure if it's from boredom or hunger.

Apples, do you count calories? My doc wants me to count carbs - no more than 15 grams a meal. A food journal would help, I agree.

Jeanie

Janet, I ate 2 oz. of baked chicken for lunch and about 3/4 c. fresh fruit. I was stuffed and had a hard time getting the chicken down. That answers my question about whether I need a fill. But, even without drinking I got hungry again after 1 1/2 hrs. Ate a Protein bar. I could eat again now but not sure if it's from boredom or hunger.

Apples, do you count calories? My doc wants me to count carbs - no more than 15 grams a meal. A food journal would help, I agree.

Jeanie

Jeanie

Chicken can be a hard one to test on - it seems like alot of pple get stuck on - I am ususally ok with it - I would up the protein to 3 or 4 oz - and reduce the fruit.

Becareful on those pt bars - we kid ourselves that they are good for us cuz they have protein - but hell the calories are just as bad as a candy bar and most pt bars are like eating a candy bar to me :0) and it's hard for me to stop at one

You got it GF - telling the diff between real true hunger or bordom !!!! That is - It takes awhile to figure that one out - cuz I will tell you - that I will be physically full and still crave food -

Get up do something - clean out a drawer - or just cruise around lbt - stay busy- as long as I am busy - I don't think about food - but when I am doing nothing - that's all I think about..

Janet, I ate 2 oz. of baked chicken for lunch and about 3/4 c. fresh fruit. I was stuffed and had a hard time getting the chicken down. That answers my question about whether I need a fill. But, even without drinking I got hungry again after 1 1/2 hrs. Ate a Protein bar. I could eat again now but not sure if it's from boredom or hunger.

Jeanie

Jeanie...to answer your question...I started keeping a food journal (doc's orders) about 8 months b/4 surgery and continue to do so today. I am in the maintenance stage but it becomes a habit and will probably always be part of my life. I have always kept a running total of calories throughout the day.

Every doc is different in what he recommends for his band patients. I decided early on to have faith that his recommendations would work. He believes in cutting out anything "white" (white potatoes, white sugar, white flour, white rice, etc.) and keeping carbs around 35 (if I remember correctly). I was so tired of failing time after time that I just followed doc's rules to a tee to see if it would work for me.

There were times that I would be very hungry but I would eat something very low in calories...steamed veggies, etc. I only allowed just so many calories per meal and learned to spread my calories throughout the day in six small meals.

It must feel really good for you to know you are jumping back on the wagon and being proactive when it comes to your health. We are all here for you. When you feel weak or frustrated, come here and talk to someone. It really does help to know that we all struggle at times and we pull each other through the tough times. Sometimes there is a kick in the pants from Janet, but, listen to her advice. She is not sitting out here a couple of years later and still successful without reason. Phyll is another that is a couple of years out and continuously losing.

Just know you have ppl here that care and we are all here to help.:biggrin:

Greetings! Busy place since I last read. Just got home from a day of shopping with Grandma. I think she wore me out this time. My knee is a little swollen and sore.

Well I got a 28 yr old living in my basement! DD just moved back in just before my knee surgery until March 26th, her wedding, to save up money for the wedding. It's working out okay right now and it helps knowing there's an end date. I would like it if she helped out more around the house the basement is a mess, just like her room used to be.

Thankfulness, it's pretty hard to top Apples list. I'd have to say ditto to most of those.

I am thankful for being at goal and getting used to saying that.

I am thankful for my band that helped get me there.

I am thankful for my 100 yr old Grandma that she is still in my life.

Also, everyone here, it's so nice to have a place to go to where everyone gets one another.

Tiny, welcome back, I am glad you decided to hang around.

Coconut, your swelling is going down so you are going to get hungrier. Hang in there til that first fill.

I agree Janet, I do eat those Protein Bars like candy, usually around 3-5 a day. Perhaps, hidden calories there I never thought about. I also only drink a low carb Protein Shake for Breakfast but get hungry soon after. I've never been much of a breakfast eater so I asking everyone for quick on the go breakfast ideas as well as snack ideas.

Tonight I'm pan frying shrimp and putting it in a greek salad that I have. Hopefully I will stay full. I do worse at home than here at work.

I agree Janet, I do eat those Protein bars like candy, usually around 3-5 a day. Perhaps, hidden calories there I never thought about. I also only drink a low carb Protein Shake for breakfast but get hungry soon after. I've never been much of a breakfast eater so I asking everyone for quick on the go breakfast ideas as well as snack ideas.

Tonight I'm pan frying shrimp and putting it in a greek salad that I have. Hopefully I will stay full. I do worse at home than here at work.

We all have our trigger foods and we are always telling each other here to GET THEM OUT OF THE HOUSE. For some it is Fritos, others ice cream, Cookies scream out to some of us. If you are consuming that many protein bars in a day, I would say get rid of them and just start over with all "fresh" basic foods. Try to not add any processed foods to your diet and when you feel like you have a handle on things, introduce them as a snack...but only on special occassions or for a "planned treat".

I just hate to lecture but if you are consuming that many bars, they would account for the total number of calories a person should eat in a day and still lose weight. I would dump them and replace with very low calorie snack. Try to eat your hard protein first at a meal and then a veggie. I know it's difficult to hold off eating anything for 4-5 hours, but, like Janet said, find an activity to try to get the hunger out of your mind.

Go for a walk, take a bath, brush your teeth, rinse with mouth wash, pick up a puzzle, etc.

I guess if I were you I would ask everyone here to give an example of the amount of calories they ate on a daily basis during their weight loss phase and examples of how they designed their meal menus. This would give you some guidelines.

As far as breakfast ideas. Do some bake-ahead mini-quiches made in cupcake pans. You can make and freeze in individual baggies. I make a big pot of steel cut oats and when done I add raisins and Splenda. I freeze in 1 cup size and grab and microwave. Great with sugar free maple Syrup. You need to eat adequate meals to stave off the hunger and prevent snacking.

I hope this helps and was not too preachy. No, I take that back. Preachy is sometimes good to help someone get back or keep on track. If you have the time each evening, post exactly what you have eaten during the day, how it was prepared and the amount of cals you took in. Maybe we can look at it and help you tweek it.:biggrin:

Apples, lately, my trigger food is .............FOOD! I think I figured it out. When I eat Protein I PB.........so, I am eating sliders because I am hungry. I must be tight because of the IBS. So, I go next Thursday to the WL doc. I am going to have them take out a little fill until my body settles down. Also, I will be flying to Hawaii and I don't want to be tight. I go to the GP tomorrow to talk to her about this aching and IBS. I am feeling better because we have been having good weather. I just want some drugs to take with me on our trip.

Yes, Janet, we are a Blessed Bunch of Banders!

I am Thankful for all of you. Even though we have not met in person I feel like I can count on you at all.

And I am most thankful for my family and love ones who have always supported me through my ups and downs.

I, too, am thankful for LBT and all of you. I am thankful for the shoes on my feet and the food on my table.

Hello everyone! I am here!

So sorry that i haven't ck'ed in at all since I've been home. I've just been so busy with wrapping up this semester at school and looking for houses. I still have my offer in on that short sale, but it has taken so long that I have decided to keep on looking. I've also expanded my area within the same city by a few miles, so I have found some beautiful homes and I'm going to look at those on Friday.

My trip to California was awesome! I loved it there and then came home to the cold and wondered why I live here and not there!? Well, then I realized that I would be completely miserable without my friends and family and decided that I should stay here for a very long time! I do love it here too! I love having all four seasons and snow in the winter! I will post some pics at the bottom of this post.

I have just read all of your posts and caught up with all of you in the past 5 pages or so! I'm sorry that I cannot comment on all of your posts, but I will be back on regularly now so then I can keep up and post on everyone on a more regular basis. Once again, I am so sorry!

As for my eating, i was really nervous about gaining while i was in cali. Actually, i stayed the same and have since lost another pound. I was at a stand still before i left and it has been coming off slowly the last 20 pounds or so, but I am exercising my butt off and have recommitted myself to only eating properly. I have done well for the past few days and I am hoping that I can keep it up! I am almost at 60 pounds lost and just one pound away from adding my new bead to my troll Bracelet. My sister gave me this bead in august for my birthday and I cannot wait to put it on!

As for the challenge, I am in! My goal is also to lose 10 pounds by Christmas!!!!! That will make it 70!

Ok, I'm in class and should probably be paying attention!

I will check in tomorrow night! I promise!

Love, Meredith