Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Schulman,

I've just been banded at 277 lbs. I'm a 48 year-old male, 5'11"; the most I've weighed is 290. I've gained pretty steadily from 1996 until today, from 220 to 290. My question is: Do you think it likely that if I get down to a goal weight of 200, that I will need plastic surgery?

Dr Schulman,

I have been at a stable weight now for 4 months after losing 135lbs, banded Jan 08.

I have read nearly all of this thread, yet still have a few questions of my own.

I think what I am aiming for is to have a lower body lift then inner thigh lift and maybe a breast lift (combined at a later date).

Would I be able to go back to my office sit down job within 2-3 weeks after the LBL.

I am fit and healthy, 49yr old and work out 2-3 times a week. (non smoker)

I understand every case is different and sometimes complications cannot be un-ruled.

The reason I ask is that I cannot get time off work for this I have to use my holidays or if they agree it will be unpaid.

I am seeing a PS in 10days to discuss this, but I am trying to do as much research as possible.

thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Suzanne

Hi Dr Schulman

I have now seen my PS and he has said I do not need a LBL.

He advised a FTT and TL he advised 3-4 weeks off work, I'm not sure how I am going to manage the time off as I said before I only have 2 and half weeks left, is the TL the worst surgery to recover from?

I think he is over estimating the recovery period, please advise

thanks

suzanne

What is a FTT and TL? I don't recognize the abbreviations.

Mimi

Hi Mimi

FTT full Tummy Tuck

TL thigh lift

Although my TL will be with a vertical incision going down to the knee with liposuction

suzanne

Hello Dr. Schulman,

I am 2 weeks post-op for having a FTT. I am very happy with the results. I am trying to do everthing I can to do my part to have the best results. What I was wondering is: How long to you have to worry about bad thing happening such as hematoma, seroma, infections and necrosis? When are you "out of the woods"?

Thanks for what you do here, you are such a help!!!

Laura

Dr. Schulman: I was visiting with a girlfriend lately and telling her how sore my pecks were from doing chest flys (8 pound weight, straight arms going from middle of chest and opening out to the back). My friend said that people with breast implants shouldn't do chest flys. Is this true? Are there exercises that should be avoided? Thanks.

Everything I know about PS, I learned from watching Nip/Tuck. Which I am sure is not a good thing. I have my first PS consult next week, and I am wondering what questions should I ask of my plastic surgeron and what question should I be prepared to answer?

Dr. Schulman,

I have always had my own idea of when to do PS but I have never asked a doctor their advise. I just wanted to see what you thought about my story.

I am 31 years old, a mother of two and pretty active. I am training for my first marathon in January of 2010. I have ran one half marathon and will run another one in November 2009!!

Currently I am at a weight of 145.2 (weighed this morning!!!) and pre-band I was weighing 224. I want a Tummy Tuck, a breast enlargement and something done to improve the appearance of my inner thighs and arms.

Should I wait until I hit my goal of 124 or go now for a consultation with a doctor?

Thank you in advance for your knowledge! I wish you were in Texas and I would just come see you and ask all of this!

You left out the most important detail - are you still losing weight? If your weight has stabilized (even if you are short of your "goal") then you are ready for surgery. I suspect you have at least 15-20 pounds of extra skin, so you may be essentially at goal. It can never hurt to see a plastic surgeon early.

Dr. Schulman,

I've just been banded at 277 lbs. I'm a 48 year-old male, 5'11"; the most I've weighed is 290. I've gained pretty steadily from 1996 until today, from 220 to 290. My question is: Do you think it likely that if I get down to a goal weight of 200, that I will need plastic surgery?

There is no way to predict whether or not you will need plastic surgery (incidentally, "need" ir really "want"). It depends on the quality of your skin, your genetics, the amount of weight you lost, the time it took you to lose the weight, and many other "unkowns". The best you can do is prepare for the possibility and see how it goes.

Hi Dr Schulman

I have now seen my PS and he has said I do not need a LBL.

He advised a FTT and TL he advised 3-4 weeks off work, I'm not sure how I am going to manage the time off as I said before I only have 2 and half weeks left, is the TL the worst surgery to recover from?

I think he is over estimating the recovery period, please advise

thanks

suzanne

depends what type of work you do. If you usually sit at work and do not have to lift anything, then you may be ok in 2 weeks. It also depends on how well you heal. It is true the the TL is the toughest to recover from, but I have many patients who are back to work in 2 weeks - I also have many that need longer!

Hello Dr. Schulman,

I am 2 weeks post-op for having a FTT. I am very happy with the results. I am trying to do everthing I can to do my part to have the best results. What I was wondering is: How long to you have to worry about bad thing happening such as hematoma, seroma, infections and necrosis? When are you "out of the woods"?

Thanks for what you do here, you are such a help!!!

Laura

Obviously, I am very late on this answer (so hopefully you did not have any problems). Most complications happen within 2 weeks, but keep in mind that things can happen later, especially when people begin to be more active and may tend to "overdue" things!

Dr. Schulman: I was visiting with a girlfriend lately and telling her how sore my pecks were from doing chest flys (8 pound weight, straight arms going from middle of chest and opening out to the back). My friend said that people with breast implants shouldn't do chest flys. Is this true? Are there exercises that should be avoided? Thanks.

There is no reason to avoid flys - unless yo notice that the implants move when the muscle contracts. Most people do not have a need to do chest exercises after breast implants because as most of you know, women tend to do chest exercises to make the breasts look bigger - which is no longer an issue for you.

Dr. Schulman:

Welcome back! Good to see your posts again.

I had a Tummy Tuck in May 2009. Back then I was under a different insurance plan. That insurance plan covered about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of the procedure because I was approved for a medically necessary panniculectomy because of rash issues. My former employer switched insurance so now my COBRA plan is very different from the plan that helped with my tummy tuck. They don't cover much of anything, and if they do it's a 20/80 split, or 40/80 split depending on in the network or out. Because I'm unemployed and have already spent almost $7k on my tummy tuck I cannot afford to spend any more at this time.

Now to my questions. I have a dogear on one side. I don't remember when it showed up, but it wasn't there at the end of June when I last saw the plastic surgeon. I have gained somewhere between 7 to 9 pounds (depending on the day) since I became unemployed. Could gaining this small amount contribute to getting dogears? Do plastic surgeon's usually submit a bill if there is a correction made to repair the dogear? Is it usually done with minimal cutting and done in a plastic surgeon's office without anesthesia?

Thanks so much for the time that you give to all of us bandsters.

Sue

Hi Dr. Schulman,

I was 10 days away from my lower body lift surgery and it has now been cancelled due to my hemoglobin and ferritin count. My hemoglobin is 113 g/L and my ferritin is 12 ug/L . This is lower than the normal range and I was told there can be a fair bit of blood loss with that surgery so it was too risky until my numbers come up. I have been taking vit. C and Iron tonic 3x a day to up my iron but it hasn't helped too much. My health is good I don't feel tired, I have a fair appetite and I exercise regularly. My doc says it is iron deficient anemia. Would iron shots bring my level up fast? I am back on the iron now that surg. was cancelled (told to stop 2 weeks benfore surg) and vit. C and Multivitamin. What more should I do it up my iron. I don't eat much beef..mostly chicken and fish. I am very disappointed as I was preparing for this for the last 6 months and have worked very hard to lose a significant amount of weight. Any suggestions you could give me would be most appreciated. Than you for all your help.

Barb