Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, Dr. Schulman! Here's my story/question:

I had a full abdominoplasty and bilateral brachioplasty two weeks ago today, on February 17th. I've been healing really well, and had two drains inserted in my abdomen. One was removed about a week post-op (my surgeon requires that the drain output be under 30cc/day for removal), but after the first one was removed, the second one started gathering a LOT more Fluid. It had been gathering about 45cc/day, but now it's back up to 75cc, and it's been there for five days straight. It just doesn't seem to be letting up. My surgeon fitted me with even more compression garments, so everything's nice and tight, but the drain output just isn't decreasing anymore. I'm worried that she'll have to pull the drain before the output is low enough, and then I'll have a seroma.

My question: is this typical? Is it normal for the drain output level to remain the same for this long? Is there anything I can do to help decrease the drain output? I tried tightening my binder, but then as soon as I loosened it again to go to the bathroom, the drain bulb filled up within seconds.

I'm worried, and I hate this drain, but I hate the idea of a seroma even more. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Dr Schulman

I have abdominoplasty and breast augmentation scheduled in 6 weeks. I work out vigorously at least 3 times/week. Various forms of cardio, weight lifting, pilates, yoga... I am 48 years old. Don't smoke. No diabetes or other health issues.

I am told light walking only for the first 4 weeks.

How long would one typically expect before getting back up to "full speed"? I've worked very hard to get in shape. Except for my deflated breasts and saggy tummy I have excellent muscle tone and pretty good skin. My personal trainer says my shoulders are "sick!" (thats a good thing) Ha!

Anyway, after working so hard its a bit distressing to think about going for an extended period of light activity. Would appreciate your words of wisdom.

Thanks!

Thank you Doctor for taking the time to read my question.

Last year July I had my lapband placed. I am a low BMI bander. I have lost almost 60 pounds and am 5 lbs out from my goal weight of 139 lbs. My fill port is now located smack dab in the middle between my xiphoid and umbilicus. The surgeon that did my lapband wants the plastic surgeon to avoid the port site all together (not sure why). That would mean only dissecting up to just past my umbilicus. If that is the case, will I get a good result from a Tummy Tuck? I have quite a bit of "flab"- loose skin- above the umbilicus.

I will be meeting with my PS again before my surgery (planned for May) and discussing it further at that time too, but am very concerned about this issue, ergo the question.

thanks so much.

I had a medial thigh lift 2 weeks ago and the scars wont heal and they keep opening up( specially on the T connection spot) from the stitches, I when back for stitching 2 time and they still wont heal. i am desperate. How is it better to treat them , keep them open to dry, and just put a cicatidrina cream or put on betadine and keep them close. should I wear the bandage and the corsage or not. My doctor left for a month of Easter holidays and i am here in bed afraid to make a move. Please help. Lena

Dr. Schulman,

Hi, I have consulted with 4 plastic surgeons and so far these are what they said:

1)Extended Tummy Tuck (from 2 doctors), A belt tummy tuck (from 1 doctor) and A tummy tuck with vaser Lipo by one doctor.

2)Armlift (3 doctors), Mini Arm Lift (by 1 doctor)

3)Inner Thigh lift (horizontal one by 3 doctors)

Tell you the truth; right now I am really confused. I love Dr. Haws, she is great; however, she wants me to do 3 things at one time because it will save me quiet a bit of money.

The first doctor has his own operating facility, so the price is a lot cheaper than the doctor that I like; however, I felt rush when I have the consult with him and well first impression matters too.

The doctor that I love said that she thinks I need an extended tummy tuck with muscle repaired, arm lift (hid the scar one since I do not heal well at all) with the use of silicone tape, and an inner thigh lift.

Can you recommend a great doctor in or around Nashville, TN?

Thank you very much,

Edited by tcbgirl

Hi Dr. Shulman,

I have a question regarding protien intake and healing. I realize that we need quite a bit of protien to help heal after surgery and I'm not sure that I get enough on a regular basis. I am hoping to have my TT done within 6-8 weeks and know that on an average day I lack protien in my diet. I certainly get some but probably not enough.

How much would you say we should get on an average and how soon before surgery should I start supplementing in order for it to be effective?

I just thought about it...can a regular blood test at my PCP tell me if I do in fact need more Protein? I haven't had any bloodwork done in a while and all I was told after the last time was that 'everything is normal' (it was just a general blood panel).

Thanks for your time and any info :smile2:

Patricia

Wow...I just noticed that we haven't heard from Dr. Shulman in over a month...

Is he not posting anymore?

P~

Anyone??

Does anyone know the status of Dr. Schulman? He's obviously not answering these posts anymore but I hope he's alright.

P~

I hope that you are still answering questions on this thread....I am 20 months out from being banded and am in desperate need of some help with my extra stomach...I have had three c sections and have absoulutly no mucel tone below my belly button....What suggestions do you have that I can tell my pcp to help get my insurace to pay for all or part of some type of reconstuction on this area? My pcp is totally on my side, but we both have a hard time trying to say I have rashes when I don''t and never have....

Dr. S: I have a quick question about brachioplasty (armlift). Does the incision have to go all the way to the elbow? If most of your hanging skin is in the upper half of the upper arm, can you get an incision that only goes that far? Or is there any other way to avoid a scar all the way to the elbow if you don't have full-on bat wings, only partial bat wings?

Cool, do you know the answer to the question about whether the scar has to go all the way to the elbow? Is there a chat feature on here?

I had a brachioplasty in april - I think you would se your surgeon and if he thinks you didn't need it right to the elbow that is what he would do - BUT - I think it goes down that far because you wouldnt want things to look odd half way down - I am sooooo happy with my results :(

I had no pain from this at all (Had a breast reduction at same time) I had no pain at all from both procedures! There is a tiny 'lump' of skin at elbow but if they overdo it - You will have problems with bending your arm etc.

I am so very happy with the breast reduction and arm reduction as they were really emotionally 'upsetting' me before and now I can wear sleeveless tops and be happy about it......

Edited by SueHam

You can definitely get an abbreviated arm lift, where the scar does not run all the way to the elbow, but it really depends on the amount of excess skin you're dealing with. I just had mine done at the beginning of June, and I'm relatively happy with it, but I can see why people would opt for the full procedure. I may have some flabbiness remaining at the elbow that will annoy me; I have a ways to go before I see finished results though. To have the shorter scar, you need a surgeon who has done the procedure before, since it's not the same as just shortening the full brachioplasty. I didn't have as much excess skin in the upper arm area as some people, but it bothered me enough psychologically and in terms of how my clothes fit to change it surgically. Also, I've had a number of procedures in the last four years (TT, lower lift, breast lift), and this one is probably on the bottom of my list in terms of recovery. Hope this helps.