Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want some REAL food!?!?!?!?!

I know what you mean. The liquid diet gets old fast. I had my staples/stitches out yesterday so I am adding food now. Its a bit scary because I had the liquid intake down pat. I am sipping on a Protein drink right now. I need to go to the store tomorrow to buy different types of food, i.e., cottage cheese, oatmeal, etc. Its exciting to try new foods. I have just re-read all my literature about what to eat during the third week after surgery.

I buy liquid drinks from Trader Joes (vanilla and chocolete). I think they are 35 grams of Protein. I put them in the refrigerator so they get very cold. I then put one can contents into the blender with a small amount of skim milk. I add cinammon and/or a small banana to the vanilla-flavored drinks.

Someone from my support group gave me a lead for a coffee flavored Protein Drink (like a latte). Its call Achiev One. I bought the Mocha Java flavor. Its has 20 grams of protein. Its the #1 Protein Drink in our support group. One of our members sells it from her car! I had to travel about 20 miles to get it. It tastes like a cold coffee drink from Starbucks or a coffee place but cold. I sometimes put it over ice.

I also bought some protein pudding made by Sly Stallone. I bought it at GNC (I think that is the initials).

I went out to Breakfast with my husabnd today the first time in a very long time (over a month). I had a poached egg with toast and coffee. I drank the coffee first and than ate my egg. It tasted very good but the best part was to be out and about again. I still feel shaky on what to order when I am out at restaurants. I'd appreciate some input from others about this. Sometimes if I know specifically what to order it helps. I used to order a cup of Soup and that worked for me. As you all know, its difficult to control the portion as well as you can at home.

I feel the exact same. I was banded on 5/23 and I just want a solid piece of food. Yesterday I was able to eat Creamer Soups so that helped. It also helped that I can eat low fat ice cream and sugar free popsicles. It is only a real problem when I finally get hungry (which doesn't happen very often), but I eat my 1/2 cup to a cup of Soup and I am full and I don't want to eat anything. It doesn't help being on my cycle either when I only want chocolate and salty fries.

Hang in there. We only have 2 weeks left before we can eat normal Protein like the rest of the world. My fear is that I am eating too fast and cause harm to my smaller stomach. We can do it.

you are hilarious...but i am thankful that we have our only little instant community for outcries like this. I have been feeling this way as well. Got banded May 1, 2008, Just got filled yesterday and they take you back to Clear Liquids, then you repeat all of the stages. I'm not so sure how to post yet and I would like to know how to get the cute little ticker as well. Lets continue to keep each other encouraged!

I all....I just got back from out of town with my husband. I started my mushies on Friday. Below is what I had:

Friday Morning/Afternoon - shake

Friday evening - 5 bites of oatmeal, and a scrambled egg. I was sooo full, I thought I was going to throw up!

Saturday morning - shake (didnt eat in the afternoon)

Saturday evening - a mushy baked potatoe. MAYBE 10 small bites!

This morning - about 10 bites of a egg and cheese omlet. Again, was soooo full!!!!

When I got home around 3:00 I had a bowl of frozen yogurt and applesause, I am still satisfied!

I cant believe I am getting so full so quickly. I am chewing my food before swallowing, it almost feels like a liquid before I swallow it. VERY strange change for me. I have not weighed until last tues, I had lost 11 pounds from the Thursday before till this past Tuesday. I will weigh again tomorrow....I hope since I started the mushies this weekend that I didnt gain any back!

Today was the hardest for me. I just want to chew something. I went and got some gum, which really did help actually. I really want some grits, but I have 3 more days...do you think it will hurt me since they are so thin and small?

Hi Jana, I dont want to act like a know it all or something. Jus wondering wat ur doctor's advice was? Chewing gum is a nono with the band.As a matter of fact, it is one of the things u cant eat forever with the band, according to my doctor. chewing gum is like chewing air and it may stretch the pouch so I wld advice that u shld really be careful n always ask ur doctor before u eat things ure unsure of. Going thru the surgery was painful enuf, dnt think anyone shld have to go thru a revision because they didnt do something rite.

Just an advise

Edited by bbaby24

My Dr. didn't say anything about chewing gum but my nutritionist said that gum chewing stimulates the appetite. I'm in very close contact with my students and always speaking to someone so I've switched to mints.

I too have been wanting something more than just liquids.

I was banded on 5-27-08. I have found that the Protein drinks help greatly with with curving hunger. Although I hate to drink them because they are simply not tasty - I have found a way to tolerate them. I use the New whey liquid Protein vials - as advised by a friend and coworker I take one vial (42g) and mix it with Water and sugar-free kool-aid mix - I can't even taste the Protein Drink this way. I have noticed more energy with the Protein supplements - so make sure you make them a priority.

I wish everyone great success!!:)

bbaby24 - I asked my dr if there was anything I couldnt have and he did not mention gum at all. I will however ask him again. I completly see what you are saying, and it makes total sense!

Is anyones port still sore???? Mine is killing me this morning!!!!! :)

I have a booklet that my doctor gave me and it says what should be avoided for life post operative. Fizzy drink/ carbonated drinks and chewing of gum, wat i did was swap gum with mints. Maybe u can find that a bit helpful.

Take care and good luck

Thank you. I will research the book he gave me again, its a VERY thick one and see what it says...

Thanks again!

I was banded 5/16/08 and have been hungry ever since. I started walking with Dog and then treadmill within about 4 days and have also had tuna in a can (without blending) the flakes of tuna are so small I'm sure I could fit them through a straw. Also the SF rice pudding by Jello goes down real easy. I'm going to see my Doc today thankfully and I hope I get a fill soon. Cos right now I think I could eat steak if I wanted to cheat. Finally 10lb down since surgery, but had a 0 weight loss for the first week.

Elaine

well, it's great to hear so many people are in the same position as I am. I was banded on the 28th. In the last day or two, I've really started to get really hungry. I can deal with the mental cravings, it's the physical hunger pangs I'm struggling with. i'm supposed to be on clear liquids for another 2 days, then full liquids for a week & mush a week after that. I am going crazy over here! I'm so sick of drinking flat broth & crystal light all day long...I started sipping some creamier Soups, but that doesn't help much. I guess I just need to chill out and relax.

I was just banded on 5/30/08, and although my paperwork said liquids only for the 1st 2 weeks, I called my docs office because I was having intense hunger pains since yesterday. Was eating popsicles and SF Jello like crazy, but still getting hungry every hour. AArrgghh....They said I could go ahead and eat the oatmeal, grits, eggs (just make them a little runny) and chew slowly (if there is anything chewable..LOL). So bottom line...if you are having problems with just the liquids....ask your doctor. Sometimes the guidelines are just that....they can be adjusted. Your doctor would know whats best for you.

I felt the same way. I was banded on 5/20 and I've been hungry since the 3rd day after surgery. I'm eating solid food, chewing it very well and have tolerated this fine....until tonight. I grilled a marinate chicken breast and I just couldn't swallow it. It wasn't really dry...don't know what was going on. tuna salad and chicken salad go down easily. Had some ribs Saturday night and they went down easily.

Everybody has different tolerances. I'm tolerating things fine but I'm not staying full.